Blue Bombers Forum
December 19, 2018, 01:35:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking News: A New Football League To Start In 2020  (Read 876 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: December 07, 2018, 04:37:01 AM »

dead serious... yet another new football will attempt to enter the arena, Freedom Football League, put together by Ricky Williams and a host of ex players.

I thought it was a joke at first, but no, seriously as a heart attack... here's a link to their announcement... as a side not, Ricky could have at least worn a clean shirt, one with a collar as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkCQ7HXPKpY&feature=youtu.be

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 04:41:46 AM »

you've got to read their mission statement, for lack of a better term... this is exactly what the world needs...

https://www.freedomfootball.co/movement/

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »

Just what the world needs, a SJW league   Roll Eyes

The mission is to combat racism?  Hello, football is probably the #1 least racist thing in the whole of the US of A (and Canada) already.  I've never seen anything remotely resembling racism in the modern era of the CFL.  This should be obvious to anyone with eyes: the best players play regardless of their race.  The fans don't care what the dude-sitting-next-to-him's race is.  The players are all players and the fans are all fans.  If there was a race problem in football, why are the vast majority of players not white?  Have they looked at NHL lately? -- methinks they picked the wrong sport to protest.

Football is probably the most color-blind thing I can think of.  Of course, I'm talking in the entirely reasonable, fair and commendable Martin Luther King vision of color-blind, not the post-modern SJW-fabricated (and horribly wrong) version of it.

This new league appears to be an attempt to capitalize on the SJW and millennial movement, in a football setting.  The problem is, SJWs and millennials, for the most part as a demographic, don't like football, regardless of whether it's "progressive" or not.  This won't change that.  And those team names... puke.

I doubt this league even plays one game, and if it does, this will be the first of the 4 or 5 pro leagues we'll have in 2020 to fail.  I'd worry more about the AAAAAF.  And if any of these leagues do take off, just watch the NFL come in and crush them like little bugs by: undercutting them on price, playing the SJW-card themselves, working with TV networks to ban coverage, etc.

That said, I do like the "Players at the Center" ideas on better supporting injured players post-career (think Hefney).  And player/fan-owned is cool (but who knows how you structure that in practice).  So it's not entirely without merit, they are just  focussing on the wrong things as a ploy to reach an untapped market.

But as for "no billionaires"?  How arbitrary and ridiculous.  So a guy who has $999M is allowed to partake, but if he earns just that 1 more million he's out?  Is someone with 500M really any different than someone with 1000M?  Dumbest thing I ever heard.  So uber-progressive SJW-savior Apple CEO and billionaire Tim Cook wants to be involved and they are going to tell him to take a hike?   Riiiiiiiiiiiggggghhhht.
bigbuff33

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »

As stated by Dave Naylor yesterday...
Between the three new leagues and all those teams...
Those are a lot of football players who would have been coming to Canada...
Don't have any idea how CFL teams are going to get American players up here, when there are going to be so many football jobs and American $ to choose from.
GCn18

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »

Don't have any idea how CFL teams are going to get American players up here, when there are going to be so many football jobs and American $ to choose from.

You don't understand how we can get players then you don't understand the difference between our games. 4 down football, especially those looking to be NFL feeder leagues, and they all will because they need the NFL's support....will not be looking at the same type of players as we do in Canada. We recruit the tweeners at most positions. The NFL puts it's recruits on a measuring tape first and foremost and eliminates all but the uber talented that don't make the cut. You have to have the measurables. If you don't have the measurables for the NFL there is little point to a feeder league bringing you in. In the CFL we love those guys...some of the best players ever to play the CFL game were here because the NFL wouldn't look at them because they were 30 lbs too light, 4 inches too short, or ran a 4.6/40 instead of a 4.5/40. An NFL feeder league ran by ex-NFLers will not feel any differently about these tweeners and we will get them.

Here in the CFL we recruit based on the ability to ball, in the US they use measurables and then find the ballers out of that group.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:05:53 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »

We get it: you are by far the most panicked person in the world about these new leagues.

This one appears to be the biggest joke of them all.
Stretch

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 01:21:47 PM »

This one appears to be the biggest joke of them all.

Agreed. I watched the YouTube video and found it kind of funny how they slammed (albeit gently) their former employer that allowed them to have a good portion of the wealth they have today.

And you know they're just dying to sign Colin Kaepernick.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
GCn18

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 01:28:33 PM »

There are 16 new teams, each of them with 50 players. That's 800 players. Do you have any idea how many NCAA football players graduate each year? There are literally thousands of players available each year. Even if these leagues get traction...which is doubtful...they will only be looking for roughly 300 players a year to upgrade their rosters. The NFL releases more than that in a year, never mind the top undrafted FA's. There's lots of players to go around.

If these were new leagues of 25 teams paying NFL like money I would worry...but 8 team leagues that will have trouble with their cheques clearing and playing in front of 6000 fans a game...Relax.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:30:36 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »

From a moral standpoint, good on Ricky Williams and that "league" for doing what they think is right. Doing a quick read of their site, they point out a lot of social and economic issues around NFL football that need to be addressed or discussed. From a business standpoint, hopefully they haven't put a lot of their own cash into it because the league is going to be squashed flat. Feels more like a clever way to get messaging out to football fans and the public than it does a real league.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:33:27 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
bluengold204

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 01:52:46 PM »

lol you are really scared eh?
Jesse

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 01:53:20 PM »

From a moral standpoint, good on Ricky Williams and that "league" for doing what they think is right. Doing a quick read of their site, they point out a lot of social and economic issues around NFL football that need to be addressed or discussed. From a business standpoint, hopefully they haven't put a lot of their own cash into it because the league is going to be squashed flat. Feels more like a clever way to get messaging out to football fans and the public than it does a real league.

Unlike the other leagues - which appear to desire to be feeder leagues to the NFL - this one seems like it wants to be a true alternative to what they see as an outdated model.

I don't have any faith in any of these leagues. However, they each seem to have their own unique ideas. Some of which I hope the CFL and NFL adopt to make the 'real' leagues stronger.

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 02:09:11 PM »

Unlike the other leagues - which appear to desire to be feeder leagues to the NFL - this one seems like it wants to be a true alternative to what they see as an outdated model.

I don't have any faith in any of these leagues. However, they each seem to have their own unique ideas. Some of which I hope the CFL and NFL adopt to make the 'real' leagues stronger.

Like what?
GCn18

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »

Right now what all these leagues are doing is selling snake oil. The pitches are fantastic, but ultimately unrealistic and unsustainable...but they have to get guys to come out and play. Once these leagues are operational, things like paid university, bonuses for social media, etc will all be shelved. The owners of these leagues can promise the players the moon because they do not have player unions yet. I like some of the ideas, but realistically these leagues won't be able to afford them, and that's the bottom line really. How many guys do you think are going to get the full 3 years in the AAF...not many because that's when they are eligible for these long term benefits, much like how the NFL will cut most fringe players a game before they are eligible for pension.

These guys have signed contracts worth 75k a year with some vague promises of bonuses and education that have not been collectively bargained. To the players in these leagues....good luck with that.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:04:09 PM by GCn18 » Logged

theaardvark

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »

Agreed. I watched the YouTube video and found it kind of funny how they slammed (albeit gently) their former employer that allowed them to have a good portion of the wealth they have today.

And you know they're just dying to sign Colin Kaepernick.

Surprised he isn't one of the founding owners at least, and then he could play for "his" team when he doesn't get an invite back into the NFL...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn18

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 06:33:58 PM »

Surprised he isn't one of the founding owners at least, and then he could play for "his" team when he doesn't get an invite back into the NFL...

You have to have money to own stuff. Kaepernick hasn't worked in a while.

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: