Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 01:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Streveler podcast interview  (Read 906 times)
Doublezero

« on: December 05, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »

With one year left on his deal, here's an interview from his old stompin' grounds in South Dakota:

https://www.midcosn.com/blog/2018/12/midco-sn-podcast--chris-strevelers-football-journey/

He says all the right things about Winnipeg, the Blue Bombers and CFL and he's non-committal about NFL down the road: "I had an absolute blast ... Winnipeg's a great city with great fans ... I love playing for them ... I haven't heard anything about an extension (contract). I'm expecting to do my one year (2019) ... I'd love to stay there for a very long time. Long term ... I have to get better. I'd like to be a starter in the CFL ... My focus is on the CFL right now .."

Just gimme the rock.
blue_or_die

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 07:20:44 PM »

With one year left on his deal, here's an interview from his old stompin' grounds in South Dakota:

https://www.midcosn.com/blog/2018/12/midco-sn-podcast--chris-strevelers-football-journey/

He says all the right things about Winnipeg, the Blue Bombers and CFL and he's non-committal about NFL down the road: "I had an absolute blast ... Winnipeg's a great city with great fans ... I love playing for them ... I haven't heard anything about an extension (contract). I'm expecting to do my one year (2019) ... I'd love to stay there for a very long time. Long term ... I have to get better. I'd like to be a starter in the CFL ... My focus is on the CFL right now .."

That's definitely more pro-CFL than I would have expected from him. I would have expected him to say that playing if the CFL was a great experience and then go into vague diplomacy- "I have to keep all my options open", "I'll just have to put all the work in and see where that takes me" which usually means that his main goal is the NFL.

Maybe we have speculated incorrectly and it's actually clear to more football-savvy people that Streveler is not, in fact, seen as an NFL QB and would be far more suited to the CFL. I know some have said that Strev could be a situation/backup NFL QB at best, and I think that part is obvious, but usually the player themselves are very hung up on dreams which makes them a bit unrealistic. Not what I hear in this sort of interview.

Very interesting- thanks.
booch

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:50:25 PM »

From sounds of it, it seems if we  keep giving him opportunities to grow and show him that he is in the plans..he will be easily extended..so Walters should be locking him down next year mid season at the latest
GCn18

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 08:01:38 PM »

That's definitely more pro-CFL than I would have expected from him. I would have expected him to say that playing if the CFL was a great experience and then go into vague diplomacy- "I have to keep all my options open", "I'll just have to put all the work in and see where that takes me" which usually means that his main goal is the NFL.

Maybe we have speculated incorrectly and it's actually clear to more football-savvy people that Streveler is not, in fact, seen as an NFL QB and would be far more suited to the CFL. I know some have said that Strev could be a situation/backup NFL QB at best, and I think that part is obvious, but usually the player themselves are very hung up on dreams which makes them a bit unrealistic. Not what I hear in this sort of interview.

Very interesting- thanks.

He's a lot more realistic about his NFL chances than many people here I guess. Him going to the NFL next offseason would be an extreme longshot, whether he wants to go or not. Seems he understands that.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »

If sincere, then we should try and extend him this off-season. Might cost us in the short term but it's worth it just to see if he works out. I'd probably do something aggressive. Pay him like a bottom tier starter with incentives for playtime if he extends for a year. That would give us more time to evaluate him to see if he can be a superstar. If it doesn't work out, we probably only overpaid for a decent backup by $100-150K and if it all works out he might be a franchise starter capable of stringing together Grey Cups. I say it's worth the risk.
Tehedra

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »

If sincere, then we should try and extend him this off-season. Might cost us in the short term but it's worth it just to see if he works out. I'd probably do something aggressive. Pay him like a bottom tier starter with incentives for playtime if he extends for a year. That would give us more time to evaluate him to see if he can be a superstar. If it doesn't work out, we probably only overpaid for a decent backup by $100-150K and if it all works out he might be a franchise starter capable of stringing together Grey Cups. I say it's worth the risk.

I don't think you need to over-pay next year to keep him, honestly, I think he knows his position is a backup and that he will need to earn the starter position. 
lenny

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 08:42:32 PM »

I think it's more realistic he gets a shot at the XFL when it starts up in 2020. Eight cities have been announced.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:44:47 PM »

I don't think you need to over-pay next year to keep him, honestly, I think he knows his position is a backup and that he will need to earn the starter position. 

True, but it's sort of hard to give him the starter's job if you know he won't be around after next year. For as good as he is, he'd still require riding out a year's worth of seasoning and growth. Not sure we'd do that if we knew he was going to bail. Overpaying to keep him in the CFL and with the Bombers is worth it, imo.
GCn18

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 08:46:13 PM »

I think it's more realistic he gets a shot at the XFL when it starts up in 2020. Eight cities have been announced.

The XFL isn't paying a whole lot. The AAF is out because they are nickel and diming their QBs.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 12:17:19 AM »

Maybe Matt ought to take media relation tips from Streve, lol..

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn18

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 01:01:39 AM »

Maybe Matt ought to take media relation tips from Streve, lol..

Sure could have helped him earlier this season.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 02:24:36 AM »

The XFL isn't paying a whole lot. The AAF is out because they are nickel and diming their QBs.

Ebersol probably used the justification that 'if you're worth that (more than their base), the NFL will be calling you, if not, well your being paid accordingly...'

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn18

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »

Ebersol probably used the justification that 'if you're worth that (more than their base), the NFL will be calling you, if not, well your being paid accordingly...'

Sure...and he's not wrong. However, at the end of the day the CFL and probably the XFL will be paying more than the AAF at that position for their starters. The AAF may become the CFL feeder league for QBs.

Stretch

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 12:54:31 PM »

I always get a kick out of when American players refer to the Riders as "Sask". Probably need to be here at least three years before they can pronounce "Saskatchewan", and that includes the Riders themselves.  Wink

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 01:27:49 PM »

He's a lot more realistic about his NFL chances than many people here I guess. Him going to the NFL next offseason would be an extreme longshot, whether he wants to go or not. Seems he understands that.

Agreed. He seems to have a great attitude and a good head on his shoulders. I'm looking forward to seeing him progress in 2019.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
bigbuff33

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 02:54:53 PM »

Enjoyed the podcast...great kid...and indicates he'd like to be here for a long time...
With both of the new leagues, I'd suggest to Walters and the braintrust that they sign Streve to an extension...he likes it here, is talented and it's finally a chance to develop our own QB
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »

Very impressive interview, Strev. is smart enough to look beyond the conventional and find the path that works best for his career and future. His decision to choose U of S.D. on the rebound for his college career is encouraging in that he does not always choose the brightest lights to play under, so a CFL career may suit him perfectly.  He was rarely interviewed this past year, so I was afraid he would trumpet the usual B.S. about playing in the NFL being his only real ambition. 

The trick in the upcoming year will be to retain him, which will be a substantial task, unless Nichols is injured for a good chunk of games next season it will be hard to make a rational decision to move on to Streveller.  I see a similar situation developing as with Franklin and Reilly when BC and Edm. were unable to retain them over incumbents and had to let them go to free agency.  I'd say it's 50/50 right now that he dresses in B&G in 2020.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 04:01:12 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 04:36:20 PM »

Very impressive interview, Strev. is smart enough to look beyond the conventional and find the path that works best for his career and future. His decision to choose U of S.D. on the rebound for his college career is encouraging in that he does not always choose the brightest lights to play under, so a CFL career may suit him perfectly.  He was rarely interviewed this past year, so I was afraid he would trumpet the usual B.S. about playing in the NFL being his only real ambition. 

The trick in the upcoming year will be to retain him, which will be a substantial task, unless Nichols is injured for a good chunk of games next season it will be hard to make a rational decision to move on to Streveller.  I see a similar situation developing as with Franklin and Reilly when BC and Edm. were unable to retain them over incumbents and had to let them go to free agency.  I'd say it's 50/50 right now that he dresses in B&G in 2020.

I would think if he gets as much playing time as last year -even without a major Nichols injury, getting lots of garbage time and even more special packages, 2nd/3rd 'n shorts, staying in after converting those 2nd and shorts , etc- we would know enough about what he brings to the table and his trajectory to make a well-informed decision. Other teams have had to do so with less film in years past.

It will of course depend almost as much as Nichols' performance and health next year. If both go out there and kill it next year, and we snap the drought, then we will have one magnificent problem on our hands. Of course, the total opposite is entirely possible, which would be a legit problem.

These factors will sort themselves out and make the decision for us, but I'm pretty sure a lot of it will be predicated on giving Strev as many or more opportunities than last year.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 04:47:53 PM »

I would think if he gets as much playing time as last year -even without a major Nichols injury, getting lots of garbage time and even more special packages, 2nd/3rd 'n shorts, staying in after converting those 2nd and shorts , etc- we would know enough about what he brings to the table and his trajectory to make a well-informed decision. Other teams have had to do so with less film in years past.

It will of course depend almost as much as Nichols' performance and health next year. If both go out there and kill it next year, and we snap the drought, then we will have one magnificent problem on our hands. Of course, the total opposite is entirely possible, which would be a legit problem.

These factors will sort themselves out and make the decision for us, but I'm pretty sure a lot of it will be predicated on giving Strev as many or more opportunities than last year.

Agreed, good problem to have but without an injury to Nichols there is no way Streveller gets near as much playing time as he had this past season.  He played 3.5 games plus the usual short-yardage snaps, unless Nichols has a horrendous season....then a difficult decision becomes easy.
bluebeard

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 04:57:58 PM »

Got to hook Streveler up with a good Winnipeg girl.  That should keep him with us for quite some time. Wink
Jesse

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »

Got to hook Streveler up with a good Winnipeg girl.  That should keep him with us for quite some time. Wink

It worked with Buck.

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

Agreed, good problem to have but without an injury to Nichols there is no way Streveller gets near as much playing time as he had this past season.  He played 3.5 games plus the usual short-yardage snaps, unless Nichols has a horrendous season....then a difficult decision becomes easy.

I see what you're saying but I wouldn't call the non-injured Nichols playtime Strev got "the usual short yardage snaps". He also got significant garbage time and, most importantly, tons of opportunities to run expedited offences to close off series/drives after completing the short yardage plunges to convert. It's not the same as getting full games, but it's far and away more than we've given backups in recent memory, or even other teams give theirs league-wide.

Love this idea!!
GCn18

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 07:11:23 PM »

Yep, keeps them here and inversely is why players leave Saskatchewan. Don't wanna hook up with those toothless mollies.

blueraid

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 08:25:00 PM »

How can you not be impressed with the guy...Streveler is as solid as they come and this team has a diamond in this guy for the foreseeable future...He has integrity plus by the sounds of him in that pod cast...I don't know how next year is going to play out between Chris and Matt BUT you gotta know that our qb. situation is in very good hands and I'm looking to see an even more improved Streveler at the controls in 19'...
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: