Blue Bombers Forum
December 19, 2018, 01:32:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: LaPo to interview for Head Coach in Toronto  (Read 4288 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »

Head coaches will pick their own staff, you don't automatically get stuck with last years group.

At least that's the way it used to be.....now with the constrained coaching budget a H.C. might have to slot into the structure put in place by the G.M. and replace his assistants as their contracts expire.  Not a short-term path to success but may become the norm.
Tehedra

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2018, 10:13:23 PM »

Are the new SMS rules in place for coaches etc, like are they active as of the Grey Cup being completed or is it that they will come into effect at X date sometime next year? Like say February?
TBURGESS

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:13 PM »

Are Twitter timestamps proof? Nope. Do they tell the whole story? Nope.

If I was interviewing for a job and they took another candidate out to the Raptors game, I'd realize that I wasn't their number 1 choice.

My guess, based on what's happened so far with no inside info:

Steinauer was that Argos first choice. The Ticats wanted to keep him so they made their HC job available to him so they wouldn't lose him.
Chamblin is their second choice. 5 post season games including a Grey Cup win and he was with the Argos in 2017 as their DC. Giving him the full court press to sign right now.
No idea if Claybrooks or PLAP were #3 and #4.

Being right never gets old.
the paw

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »

Are Twitter timestamps proof? Nope. Do they tell the whole story? Nope.

If I was interviewing for a job and they took another candidate out to the Raptors game, I'd realize that I wasn't their number 1 choice.

My guess, based on what's happened so far with no inside info:

Steinauer was that Argos first choice. The Ticats wanted to keep him so they made their HC job available to him so they wouldn't lose him.
Chamblin is their second choice. 5 post season games including a Grey Cup win and he was with the Argos in 2017 as their DC. Giving him the full court press to sign right now.
No idea if Claybrooks or PLAP were #3 and #4.

You might be right.  I am surprised they would be high on Chamblin after he flaked on them to take a quality control job in NCAA.  I also think his first Grey Cup win was because he had the sense to rely on experienced coordinators.  After that win his ego took hold and the team became a tire fire.  He?s a good DC, but a high risk proposition for HC, IMHO.

grab grass 'n growl
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2018, 12:00:34 AM »

@ArashMadani
Per #CFL sources: while there are no signatures on the dotted line, yet, expect that DeVone Claybrooks will be named the head coach of the BC Lions later this week. Claybrooks also interviewed with the #Argos after the Stampeders' Grey Cup win

According to other sources on twitter he hasn't even had his interview yet. 
Blue72

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2018, 04:37:28 AM »

According to the cfl they are saying no more training camps in the US next year to try out new players but Chris Jones wants to have a couple of camps before this year is over so why can't teams release assist coaches this year before the change takes place. So far there is no set date as to when camps  could take place or when coaches couldn't replace there assistances, unless I missed it.
Maybe Calgary might look at Hall as a DC since they are loosing theirs but I doubt Huff do it.
blue_or_die

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2018, 12:56:38 PM »

You might be right.  I am surprised they would be high on Chamblin after he flaked on them to take a quality control job in NCAA.  I also think his first Grey Cup win was because he had the sense to rely on experienced coordinators.  After that win his ego took hold and the team became a tire fire.  He?s a good DC, but a high risk proposition for HC, IMHO.

Well, that GC win had everything to do with how Taman "managed" his SMS and the mercenaries he brought on board. Never thought Chamblin was anything special. And going from Trestman to Chamblin is quite the downgrade.
bluebeard

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2018, 02:38:09 PM »

?..and quite a change.  From low keyed quiet sort of coach to loud , brash in your face type of coach.  If he is signed, we will see how the players react.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2018, 02:55:47 PM »

Rumours on social media and in Vancouver suggest Claybrooks is the next HC for the Lions.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2018, 03:16:03 PM »

And yet, there were plenty of rumours late in the 2013 season he'd taken over the defense from Richie Hall.

He no doubt did rely on his coordinators; what HC doesn't?

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
GCn18

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »

Chamblin is a good coach. He is the type of coach with a shelf life though. Hes like a Tortorella or Mike Keenan. When you need a butt kicker to reset your locker room guys like him are good, albeit temporary, solutions.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
the paw

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2018, 05:31:10 PM »

And yet, there were plenty of rumours late in the 2013 season he'd taken over the defense from Richie Hall.

He no doubt did rely on his coordinators; what HC doesn't?

I think those rumours, and I still consider them unsubstantiated, surfaced in 2014 which was Hall's last year before getting the gate.  In 2013, Hall was running their defence.  They also had George Cortez running the offence, with Khari Jones as a dedicated QB coach.

I think Chamblin's descent started when he impressed himself with the Grey Cup win and took the defence over from Hall, and started dogging his players .  It escalated in 2015 to a really bad locker room situation. 

grab grass 'n growl
blue_or_die

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2018, 07:10:12 PM »

Chamblin is a good coach. He is the type of coach with a shelf life though. Hes like a Tortorella or Mike Keenan. When you need a butt kicker to reset your locker room guys like him are good, albeit temporary, solutions.

Not sure this definition, nor a comparison to John Tortorella, is how I would define what you would call a good coach.
GCn18

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2018, 08:09:51 PM »

Not sure this definition, nor a comparison to John Tortorella, is how I would define what you would call a good coach.

It all depends on need. Last year the Argos underachieved greatly because they had a listless Trestman. Sometimes you have to hire a guy who will reset the work ethic of the room.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2018, 08:22:44 PM »

It all depends on need. Last year the Argos underachieved greatly because they had a listless Trestman. Sometimes you have to hire a guy who will reset the work ethic of the room.

Let's be honest. They lost because they had atrocious QB play. A listless Trestman motivated them to play well two years ago (particularly down the stretch) and then win a grey cup.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: