Blue Bombers Forum
December 19, 2018, 01:34:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Football Operations Salary Cap  (Read 1367 times)
the paw

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 11:35:18 PM »

A big casualty today. Riders part ways with John Murphy. This, almost certainly, has to do with the cap. Huge blow to the Riders organization.

There are tweets out there suggesting that Murphy balked at taking a 10% cut (like all other Rider ops staff) and felt his contract should be honoured.  So definitely SMS related, but also reflects a stubborn personality...

grab grass 'n growl
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 11:36:04 PM »

From Kirk Penton:

Just got an insider note about John Murphy?s departure from the #Roughriders: ?It was due to his unwillingness to take a 10%+ pay cut under the newly imposed coaches? cap. He agreed to a two-year deal and felt the Riders should live up to their obligation on that final year ...So the question is: Are the Riders paying that final year? Or was it forfeited with him ?stepping down??? #CFL #Roughriders
kkc60

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 12:02:08 AM »

Would John Murphy be an up grade to what we have in bringing in new players because the group we have haven't brought in very many especially and receiver and DB?
Yes. He would be significantly better than any of our assistant GMs
GCn18

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 01:10:45 AM »

There are tweets out there suggesting that Murphy balked at taking a 10% cut (like all other Rider ops staff) and felt his contract should be honoured.  So definitely SMS related, but also reflects a stubborn personality...

Probably just the hill he chose to die on. Some speculation that he was disgruntled before this.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
bluebeard

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 05:22:35 PM »

Murphy seemed to leave on good terms and agreeable to both sides.  To me this suggests that he has another job lined up.
theaardvark

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 07:28:15 PM »

Murphy in Montreal?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 07:40:09 PM »

Murphy seemed to leave on good terms and agreeable to both sides.  To me this suggests that he has another job lined up.

And even if he didn't, he'd find work again pretty quickly.

Hell, I'd take him here again if it was to scout INT talent.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/06/cfl-introduces-non-player-football-operations-cap/

The cap is set at $2,588,000 for 2019 and 2020, after which the amount will be subject to a review.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Ridermania

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »

MONTREAL - Due to the new salary cap that will be imposed on the football operations departments of all CFL teams as of 2019, the Montreal Alouettes announced that they have not renewed the contracts of some members of football operations and of the coaching staff.

Coaches Billy Parker (defensive back coach), Jason Tucker (receivers coach), Chris Mosley (assistant offensive line coach) and Cris Dishman (defensive assistant coach) were advised that their contracts expiring at the end of the year will not be renewed for 2019.

The organization also announced that the contracts of Draft Coordinator and National Scout Eric Deslauriers and Director of College Scouting Russ Lande will not be extended.

"As for all CFL teams, we must work with the new rules put in place by the league," said Montreal Alouettes General Manager Kavis Reed. On behalf of the entire organization, I want to thank all the coaches, as well as Eric and Russ for their hard work and dedication and I wish them all the best for the future."

The new salary cap limits the number of employees, as well as the payroll of football operations departments.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:44:18 PM by Ridermania » Logged
GCn18

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »

MONTREAL ? Due to the new salary cap that will be imposed on the football operations departments of all CFL teams as of 2019, the Montreal Alouettes announced that they have not renewed the contracts of some members of football operations and of the coaching staff.

Coaches Billy Parker (defensive back coach), Jason Tucker (receivers coach), Chris Mosley (assistant offensive line coach) and Cris Dishman (defensive assistant coach) were advised that their contracts expiring at the end of the year will not be renewed for 2019.

The organization also announced that the contracts of Draft Coordinator and National Scout ?ric Deslauriers and Director of College Scouting Russ Lande will not be extended.

"As for all CFL teams, we must work with the new rules put in place by the league," said Montreal Alouettes General Manager Kavis Reed. On behalf of the entire organization, I want to thank all the coaches, as well as Eric and Russ for their hard work and dedication and I wish them all the best for the future."

The new salary cap limits the number of employees, as well as the payroll of football operations departments.

Not surprising. I expect the axe to fall heavily in both Hamilton and Calgary as well.

Ridermania

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 04:44:50 PM »

I would think all CFL teams will be making these cuts.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »

Not everyone is over that cap. Might be some trimmings here or there (as teams spend more wisely) but the teams that move quickly and make big changes are probably the ones most impacted. Riders will probably end up with the biggest blow. Pretty obvious that they were elbow deep into the cookie jar.
GCn18

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »

Nope...not everyone. The CFL said, when it made the cap number that it arrived at it by averaging the ops cap by taking every teams football ops salaries and then dividing it by the number of teams. That means that half the league was already in a position to be in compliance with these numbers. Only the top heavy teams will take a hit. The Riders likely being the most top heavy. For sure 4 coaches will have to be let go by the Riders, the Bombers are already in compliance with the coaching numbers without axing anyone.

The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 05:09:41 PM »

The Edmonton Eskimos announce Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Mike Benevides will not be returning for the 2019 season. @EdmontonEsks esks.com/2018/12/07/esk? #CFL #Esks

?As a result of the newly implemented football operations salary cap, we could not come to terms with Mike Benevides,? said VP of Football Operations and General Manager Brock Sunderland. - @EdmontonEsks #CFL #Esks
GCn18

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »

The Edmonton Eskimos announce Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Mike Benevides will not be returning for the 2019 season. @EdmontonEsks esks.com/2018/12/07/esk? #CFL #Esks

?As a result of the newly implemented football operations salary cap, we could not come to terms with Mike Benevides,? said VP of Football Operations and General Manager Brock Sunderland. - @EdmontonEsks #CFL #Esks

Just the excuse they needed to get rid of that dud.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: