Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 01:17:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Football Operations Salary Cap  (Read 1306 times)
Ridermania

« on: December 01, 2018, 02:45:28 PM »

Very interesting article written by Taman about CFL operations salary cap.

https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/tamans-take-cfls-football-operations-cap-raises-several-questions

Best quote " Excusing the struggling teams seems to be the norm lately, as opposed to challenging them to do a better job of running their businesses ".
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 02:55:53 PM »

Taman came across really poor in that interview IMO.
Jesse

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 03:34:39 PM »

Taman came across really poor in that interview IMO.

Agreed.

My wife is amazing!
Waffler

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 03:41:13 PM »

Shows a very poor understanding of what the function of a cap is. If he wants the wild west in spending there will be no league.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 02:26:08 AM »

Taman's trying to score brownie points with the rider fans. He didn't make his case very well. Whatever case he trying to make that is. What was it actually? The amount of money you spend on football ops has no impact on the results on the field? No reasonable person would make such an assertion.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 04:21:01 AM »

Taman's trying to score brownie points with the rider fans. He didn't make his case very well. Whatever case he trying to make that is. What was it actually? The amount of money you spend on football ops has no impact on the results on the field? No reasonable person would make such an assertion.

Taman had his golden opportunity to manage a football team (twice actually), it's quite clear from listening to him that he's so out of touch that no one is ever going to allow him that opportunity again.
GCn18

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 12:29:34 PM »

Taman had his golden opportunity to manage a football team (twice actually), it's quite clear from listening to him that he's so out of touch that no one is ever going to allow him that opportunity again.

Taman has not ever demonstrated any understanding of the SMS. He is a pre-SMS dinosaur. The new rules have passed him by.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 01:20:44 PM »

Completely misses the mark and comes off as whiney.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »

Not presentable enough for a TSN gig either, his best hope is Rider radio.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »

Poor form by Taman. Then again, this man had no idea how to manage a roster.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
GCn18

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 05:46:17 PM »

Sour grapes from a guy who showed such a lack of understanding of the SMS that the Bombers had to pay Stegall 75k against the cap a year after he retired. In Saskatchewan he blew it up so bad that Jones had to release half the team to have a shot at not being over the SMS. His article clearly demonstrates his lack of understanding still exists. On one hand he argues that a team can be successful with one scout, then he argues they should have thirty. Ridiculous, total nonsense by Taman.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:36 PM »

Taman campaigning to be the next Gainer the Gopher? What a tone-deaf article.
trapper

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 07:04:37 PM »

Sour grapes from a guy who showed such a lack of understanding of the SMS that the Bombers had to pay Stegall 75k against the cap a year after he retired. In Saskatchewan he blew it up so bad that Jones had to release half the team to have a shot at not being over the SMS. His article clearly demonstrates his lack of understanding still exists. On one hand he argues that a team can be successful with one scout, then he argues they should have thirty. Ridiculous, total nonsense by Taman.

True. But he did manage to get the final pieces towards winning the 101st Grey Cup and I'll be forever grateful. 

With current contracts being 1 or 2 years at best it will be very rare to keep the same group of players around.  Any GM who looks past 2 years will fail everytime in today's CFL.
GCn18

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 08:26:09 PM »

A big casualty today. Riders part ways with John Murphy. This, almost certainly, has to do with the cap. Huge blow to the Riders organization.

Blue72

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 11:32:55 PM »

Would John Murphy be an up grade to what we have in bringing in new players because the group we have haven't brought in very many especially and receiver and DB?
the paw

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 11:35:18 PM »

A big casualty today. Riders part ways with John Murphy. This, almost certainly, has to do with the cap. Huge blow to the Riders organization.

There are tweets out there suggesting that Murphy balked at taking a 10% cut (like all other Rider ops staff) and felt his contract should be honoured.  So definitely SMS related, but also reflects a stubborn personality...

grab grass 'n growl
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 11:36:04 PM »

From Kirk Penton:

Just got an insider note about John Murphy?s departure from the #Roughriders: ?It was due to his unwillingness to take a 10%+ pay cut under the newly imposed coaches? cap. He agreed to a two-year deal and felt the Riders should live up to their obligation on that final year ...So the question is: Are the Riders paying that final year? Or was it forfeited with him ?stepping down??? #CFL #Roughriders
kkc60

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 12:02:08 AM »

Would John Murphy be an up grade to what we have in bringing in new players because the group we have haven't brought in very many especially and receiver and DB?
Yes. He would be significantly better than any of our assistant GMs
GCn18

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 01:10:45 AM »

There are tweets out there suggesting that Murphy balked at taking a 10% cut (like all other Rider ops staff) and felt his contract should be honoured.  So definitely SMS related, but also reflects a stubborn personality...

Probably just the hill he chose to die on. Some speculation that he was disgruntled before this.

bluebeard

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 05:22:35 PM »

Murphy seemed to leave on good terms and agreeable to both sides.  To me this suggests that he has another job lined up.
theaardvark

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 07:28:15 PM »

Murphy in Montreal?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 07:40:09 PM »

Murphy seemed to leave on good terms and agreeable to both sides.  To me this suggests that he has another job lined up.

And even if he didn't, he'd find work again pretty quickly.

Hell, I'd take him here again if it was to scout INT talent.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2018, 08:30:23 PM »

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/12/06/cfl-introduces-non-player-football-operations-cap/

The cap is set at $2,588,000 for 2019 and 2020, after which the amount will be subject to a review.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Ridermania

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »

MONTREAL - Due to the new salary cap that will be imposed on the football operations departments of all CFL teams as of 2019, the Montreal Alouettes announced that they have not renewed the contracts of some members of football operations and of the coaching staff.

Coaches Billy Parker (defensive back coach), Jason Tucker (receivers coach), Chris Mosley (assistant offensive line coach) and Cris Dishman (defensive assistant coach) were advised that their contracts expiring at the end of the year will not be renewed for 2019.

The organization also announced that the contracts of Draft Coordinator and National Scout Eric Deslauriers and Director of College Scouting Russ Lande will not be extended.

"As for all CFL teams, we must work with the new rules put in place by the league," said Montreal Alouettes General Manager Kavis Reed. On behalf of the entire organization, I want to thank all the coaches, as well as Eric and Russ for their hard work and dedication and I wish them all the best for the future."

The new salary cap limits the number of employees, as well as the payroll of football operations departments.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 04:44:18 PM by Ridermania » Logged
GCn18

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 01:07:31 PM »

MONTREAL ? Due to the new salary cap that will be imposed on the football operations departments of all CFL teams as of 2019, the Montreal Alouettes announced that they have not renewed the contracts of some members of football operations and of the coaching staff.

Coaches Billy Parker (defensive back coach), Jason Tucker (receivers coach), Chris Mosley (assistant offensive line coach) and Cris Dishman (defensive assistant coach) were advised that their contracts expiring at the end of the year will not be renewed for 2019.

The organization also announced that the contracts of Draft Coordinator and National Scout ?ric Deslauriers and Director of College Scouting Russ Lande will not be extended.

"As for all CFL teams, we must work with the new rules put in place by the league," said Montreal Alouettes General Manager Kavis Reed. On behalf of the entire organization, I want to thank all the coaches, as well as Eric and Russ for their hard work and dedication and I wish them all the best for the future."

The new salary cap limits the number of employees, as well as the payroll of football operations departments.

Not surprising. I expect the axe to fall heavily in both Hamilton and Calgary as well.

Ridermania

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 04:44:50 PM »

I would think all CFL teams will be making these cuts.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »

Not everyone is over that cap. Might be some trimmings here or there (as teams spend more wisely) but the teams that move quickly and make big changes are probably the ones most impacted. Riders will probably end up with the biggest blow. Pretty obvious that they were elbow deep into the cookie jar.
GCn18

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »

Nope...not everyone. The CFL said, when it made the cap number that it arrived at it by averaging the ops cap by taking every teams football ops salaries and then dividing it by the number of teams. That means that half the league was already in a position to be in compliance with these numbers. Only the top heavy teams will take a hit. The Riders likely being the most top heavy. For sure 4 coaches will have to be let go by the Riders, the Bombers are already in compliance with the coaching numbers without axing anyone.

The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 05:09:41 PM »

The Edmonton Eskimos announce Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Mike Benevides will not be returning for the 2019 season. @EdmontonEsks esks.com/2018/12/07/esk? #CFL #Esks

?As a result of the newly implemented football operations salary cap, we could not come to terms with Mike Benevides,? said VP of Football Operations and General Manager Brock Sunderland. - @EdmontonEsks #CFL #Esks
GCn18

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 05:13:19 PM »

The Edmonton Eskimos announce Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Mike Benevides will not be returning for the 2019 season. @EdmontonEsks esks.com/2018/12/07/esk? #CFL #Esks

?As a result of the newly implemented football operations salary cap, we could not come to terms with Mike Benevides,? said VP of Football Operations and General Manager Brock Sunderland. - @EdmontonEsks #CFL #Esks

Just the excuse they needed to get rid of that dud.

theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2018, 05:25:28 PM »

Wow, "could not come to terms with" is going to be an oft mentioned phrase, no doubt.

I think we should hire a bunch of very well qualified "medical staff", and use them to go over film of, and visit,  potential players to assess their "physical condition".  They can pass along the names that "pass" their "assessments" for the rest of our scouting staff, oops... I mean THE scouting staff to make a decision on.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2018, 05:33:23 PM »

The axe falls in Edmonton.

Edmonton Eskimos

@EdmontonEsks
Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator Mike Benevides will not be returning for the 2019 season.

📰: http://ow.ly/bILT30mUbl1
Ridermania

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 05:55:14 PM »

The Edmonton Eskimos will not have Mike Benevides back on their coaching staff in 2019.

As a result of the newly implemented football operations salary cap, we could not come to terms with Mike Benevides,? general manager Brock Sunderland said in a statement. ?Mike worked as hard as anybody for this organization, and the Eskimos wish him all the best in his future endeavours.?

Benevides served as defensive coordinator and assistant head coach for three seasons in Edmonton.

Which team is next?
the paw

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 06:02:37 PM »

Just the excuse they needed to get rid of that dud.

I agree, I think they are blaming the cap, but they were unhappy with the defence this year for sure.

The bloodletting in Montreal is more of a mixed bag.  I can see they might not have the luxury of continuing to have an assistant OL coach anymore, so that might be SMS related, but they sacked their DB coach and obviously they are going to have to replace him. That might be a case of needing to hire a DC and they want to leave the option open for a twofer, where the DC also coaches the DBs.  And of course, the randomness of Kavis is always a factor. 

grab grass 'n growl
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 06:19:50 PM »

I agree, I think they are blaming the cap, but they were unhappy with the defence this year for sure.

The bloodletting in Montreal is more of a mixed bag.  I can see they might not have the luxury of continuing to have an assistant OL coach anymore, so that might be SMS related, but they sacked their DB coach and obviously they are going to have to replace him. That might be a case of needing to hire a DC and they want to leave the option open for a twofer, where the DC also coaches the DBs.  And of course, the randomness of Kavis is always a factor. 

How Kavis continues to avoid scrutiny in Mtl. amazes me, he's accomplished very little since becoming GM two years ago and yet his neck does not seem to be on the block.
GCn18

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2018, 06:30:50 PM »

Both Montreal and Edmonton missed the playoffs. Them moving on from coaches should not necessarily be considered ops cap moves. Lots of room for improvement there.

theaardvark

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »

So, is there some vehicle for the teams to get out of contracts that were signed before the cap?  Is the team allowing payouts for cancelled contract to be paid with non-cap money in these cases? 

If, for arguments sake, we realized that we couldn't afford Lapo, and he did not want to renegotiate, would we be stuck with chewing up cap? 

How does Murphy's departure affect SSK?  Did he just quit and by quitting have no more money coming?  If he said no to the salary reduction and did not quit, would they be stuck with him at his full pay?

theaardvark

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2018, 08:44:20 PM »

CFL@CFL

BREAKING: The @Ticats have announced that defensive coordinator Jerry Glanville will not be returning next season due to personal reasons. #Ticats #CFL

Could see this one coming... I'm guessing he personal reason was he wanted to actually get paid to coach Wink

booch

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2018, 08:51:55 PM »

or the fact he is 100 and was tough to continue doing living in a university dorm room
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: