Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 01:16:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GM Kyle Walters | End of Season Address  (Read 1106 times)
blue girl

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2018, 07:51:45 PM »

I didn't hear that part, but that's interesting.
What he said was in yesterdays Free Press. Walters said that he and his agent decided that instead of bouncing around NFL teams that he would come to the CFL for a couple of years and try the NFL again. I don't know if they've changed their mind and will stay in the CFL but I guess we'll find out if he signs an extension.
GCn18

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 12:36:00 PM »

What he said was in yesterdays Free Press. Walters said that he and his agent decided that instead of bouncing around NFL teams that he would come to the CFL for a couple of years and try the NFL again. I don't know if they've changed their mind and will stay in the CFL but I guess we'll find out if he signs an extension.

Literally every IMP who comes to the CFL says that. I don't think one can make any assumption on Streveler's intentions now, based on his reasoning then. Streveler's NFL situation is unlikely to improve to the point he isn't bouncing around an NFL team or two. IMO, it would take a serious offer to get Streveler to go, and that is highly unlikely. Far more worried about someone giving him a starting opportunity in the CFL.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:37:35 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »

Literally every IMP who comes to the CFL says that. I don't think one can make any assumption on Streveler's intentions now, based on his reasoning then. Streveler's NFL situation is unlikely to improve to the point he isn't bouncing around an NFL team or two. IMO, it would take a serious offer to get Streveler to go, and that is highly unlikely. Far more worried about someone giving him a starting opportunity in the CFL.

Yep, I can see him trying out for the NFL and potentially coming back and the Bombers not being in a position to match offers if they're still heavily invested in Nichols.  It really depends how long he kicks around the NFL circuit, it could be years.
Waffler

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »

He was undrafted out of college. He still needs to get better if he wants to stick down south is my opinion. As of now he remains just a prospect and a lot will depend on what strides he can make next year. Competition is good for our team though so bring it on.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »

Yep, I can see him trying out for the NFL and potentially coming back and the Bombers not being in a position to match offers if they're still heavily invested in Nichols.  It really depends how long he kicks around the NFL circuit, it could be years.

I would bet he doesn't go to the NFL at all. It is rare for CFL QBs to get a sniff of the NFL. Even BLM will have a tough time getting anything more than a TCF type of deal and he has how many cups and MOPs. There is a stigma attached to CFL QBs when it comes to the NFL and very, very few get any serious consideration. If at the end of this year Streveler is not the Bombers starter, somebody in the CFL will offer him starter money and that is better than anything he could realistically hope for out of the NFL.

I'm curious, does anyone here really believe he has demonstrated enough to get NFL interest?

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »

I would bet he doesn't go to the NFL at all. It is rare for CFL QBs to get a sniff of the NFL. Even BLM will have a tough time getting anything more than a TCF type of deal and he has how many cups and MOPs. There is a stigma attached to CFL QBs when it comes to the NFL and very, very few get any serious consideration. If at the end of this year Streveler is not the Bombers starter, somebody in the CFL will offer him starter money and that is better than anything he could realistically hope for out of the NFL.

I'm curious, does anyone here really believe he has demonstrated enough to get NFL interest?

I dunno, seems to me Streveller has a unique skill-set not commonly found in QB's and may have peaked a lot of curiosity in NFL coaching ranks.  Probably not looked at as a potential first stringer but definitely interesting as a change of pace/4th down option.  On the other hand he has quickly opened a short route to upper end QB CFL salaries and could see himself getting an offer similar to Franklin after only his second year in the league, maybe in the territory of $250,000-$325,000 first year.
GCn18

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »

I dunno, seems to me Streveller has a unique skill-set not commonly found in QB's and may have peaked a lot of curiosity in NFL coaching ranks.  Probably not looked at as a potential first stringer but definitely interesting as a change of pace/4th down option.  On the other hand he has quickly opened a short route to upper end QB CFL salaries and could see himself getting an offer similar to Franklin after only his second year in the league, maybe in the territory of $250,000-$325,000 first year.

That's what I'm thinking too. I guess if an NFL team comes with a serious offer he won't say no, but for him to turn his back on what's likely to be a minimum of 250k plus significant bonuses, I'm sure that he needs some assurances that he isn't just TCF for the NFL....and I doubt he receives any offers more significant than that.

blue girl

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 08:09:43 PM »

I'm not saying that he's ready for the NFL. I'm just saying that he and his agent plan to test the NFL next season. This may have changed only he and his agent know for sure. This is no different than JSK and Jeffcoat trying the NFL and right now there are a few teams that could use a QB.
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 11:34:13 PM »

Matthews was just released by Calgary to pursue NFL options....  which means he's available to be signed, right?  Walters, get on this Wink

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 12:28:42 AM »

As much as I love Streveler, we didn't don anything here to the extent that it would change the minds of NFL GMs that they're ready to take him on. They had no interest at all in him last year and the scouting reports labeled him at 'a project' with up side. Plus his skill set is better suited for the CFL in my opinion, his size, speed and arm strength are things you can't really coach and serve him well on the bigger CFL field.  Maybe after he is a starter for a couple of years the NFL may give him a look if they have a need for a backup, but having only 2 years of NCAA experience at QB and what little he got here last year... he's still too green for them.  Which is great, I love the guy and think he will work into a long career in the CFL, and hopefully for the Bombers.   It also has to be a lot more fun to have a chance to play here rather than only walking up and down the sidelines down south. But, money talks...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Jets
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 04:03:39 AM »

We could probably dump all the cash we set aside for Durant as a sweetener to put him around 200-225k to sign an extension here. It would give us an expensive backup but no worse than paying a 550-600k starter and 100k backup.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: