Blue Bombers Forum
December 19, 2018, 01:34:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers Agree to Terms with Jermarcus Hardrick  (Read 855 times)
GCn18

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 03:01:31 PM »

thats where sustained success is built...from the lines out...and key National Lineman rarely move if a team wants them...I'd be shocked if Goosen or Chungh left, and can only see us losing out on one if it were to happen...and would be due to a huge overpay by some team

The only way Chungh would leave is if he was going home to BC imo. Given the early offseason scuttlebutt, BC likely doesn't have enough SMS to spend on all the people who "apparently" want to go there. If Chungh were to sign in BC that would end any dream they have of signing Biggie or keeping Solly. IMO, Chungh re-signing is almost a slam dunk if we want to tie up that much money on the OL...which we probably do. Goossen, seems happy enough here as well, but if not we have plenty of options down our depth chart.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
booch

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 03:13:15 PM »

agreed...O-line was least of my concerns and I doubted we would lose any of them...and have basically 3 back-ups who could start anywhere in the league, or at the least be a 6th o-lineman on a game day roster.

Our concern is locking down Biggie..and re-signing JSK and Jeffcoat and allowing us the room to grab an elite receiver either by free agency, or trade and a shut down DB...anything above and beyond that is gravy.

The glut of foot soldier guys as free agents isn't a concern as most who want to be back will/can be within the SMS and ones that leave for more $$ are easily replaced by free-agents on other teams at a lower price point.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 03:52:48 PM »

agreed...O-line was least of my concerns and I doubted we would lose any of them...and have basically 3 back-ups who could start anywhere in the league, or at the least be a 6th o-lineman on a game day roster.

Our concern is locking down Biggie..and re-signing JSK and Jeffcoat and allowing us the room to grab an elite receiver either by free agency, or trade and a shut down DB...anything above and beyond that is gravy.

The glut of foot soldier guys as free agents isn't a concern as most who want to be back will/can be within the SMS and ones that leave for more $$ are easily replaced by free-agents on other teams at a lower price point.

I'm quite confident O'Shea will get most of his Natl. foot soldiers back, they're not going to make much money anywhere they go and none look poised to become starters at their position which is a sad reality of the full-time S.T. player's role.  I do wonder what stops a player like Briggs from developing into a starter, is it the categorization some Natl. players get buttoned into, or is there just not enough talent to work with to begin with and years of practice make little difference.
booch

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 04:22:50 PM »

a lot of it has to do with ratio and how the team utilizes it, and some of it has to do with skill as a position guy.
Over the years have seen guys who if given the chance can step in and play, but are hamstrung by the position they play, and the team wanting to designate their starters in certain spots....so you become a career back-up/ST guy and spot starter.

And for the most part the Canadian guys will all work a job here in off-season, and live year round, so running up and down a field 6-8 times a game for some for 9000k a month at minimum for basically 5 months of the year is pretty good supplemental income for as long as your are able/allowed to do it
GCn18

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 06:17:15 PM »

If I'm a pending FA for the Bombers, or of another team, I'm looking at Winnipeg and thinking that it's a pretty good and safe bet to hang your playoff money on. The QB carousel is in full swing this year and someone in the West is going to be clobbered by it and left twisting in the breeze. The only thing the players know right now for sure is that team won't be Winnipeg. I think that our guys will be listening to our offers pretty intently this year.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:19:06 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 06:19:56 PM »

The only way Chungh would leave is if he was going home to BC imo. Given the early offseason scuttlebutt, BC likely doesn't have enough SMS to spend on all the people who "apparently" want to go there. If Chungh were to sign in BC that would end any dream they have of signing Biggie or keeping Solly. IMO, Chungh re-signing is almost a slam dunk if we want to tie up that much money on the OL...which we probably do. Goossen, seems happy enough here as well, but if not we have plenty of options down our depth chart.

Yes I have concerns that BC might be in play for both Chungh and Loffler as well as the Bighill question.

No more excuses.
GCn18

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »

Yes I have concerns that BC might be in play for both Chungh and Loffler as well as the Bighill question.

I don't think they realistically have the SMS to be in play for all these guys that have been mentioned. They were tight to the cap with Jennings and Lulay, with both combined in the 500k range. They can't go get Reilly at 500-550k and then sign Biggie, Chungh and Loffler....not a chance. The only way they are in play for more than one of these guys is if they let significant players walk away in FA. I'm talking the Elimimian, Arceneaux, Burnham ilk.
If BC wants to let Solly Bombs go, I would not be upset if the replaced Bighill at MLB. Burnham is a pretty nice upgrade for Loffler's money as well. Chungh? He ain't going anywhere. I suspect he will be back. He could have gone their 2 years ago and he chose to re-sign here.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:29:17 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 06:34:10 PM »

I don't think they realistically have the SMS to be in play for all these guys that have been mentioned. They were tight to the cap with Jennings and Lulay, with both combined in the 500k range. They can't go get Reilly at 500-550k and then sign Biggie, Chungh and Loffler....not a chance. The only way they are in play for more than one of these guys is if they let significant players walk away in FA. I'm talking the Elimimian, Arceneaux, Burnham ilk.

It's a concern but nothing written in stone. The Lions have been advised by Jennings that he's going to free agency. He's not in Hervey's good books. I wouldn't be surprised to NOT see Lulay back either.

It's a matter of timing in free agency. All 3 could be offered offers on day one and it becomes a matter of who signs first. That then reduces the chances for the next guy etc etc as SMS gets allocated.

I think Arceneaux and Burnham are both potential free agents as well.

Same thing applies to the Bombers. If we sign Bighill before or on day 1, then we may not be able to retain some of our players.

There are some big names with big salaries that will be trimmed across the league.

Bombers will be letting some salaries walk so we should have room for most of those we want. It's more a matter of which other teams offer " silly " money in their re-build processes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:16:32 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 09:57:56 PM »

a lot of it has to do with ratio and how the team utilizes it, and some of it has to do with skill as a position guy.
Over the years have seen guys who if given the chance can step in and play, but are hamstrung by the position they play, and the team wanting to designate their starters in certain spots....so you become a career back-up/ST guy and spot starter.

And for the most part the Canadian guys will all work a job here in off-season, and live year round, so running up and down a field 6-8 times a game for some for 9000k a month at minimum for basically 5 months of the year is pretty good supplemental income for as long as your are able/allowed to do it

As has been suggested before, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the ratio requirements balanced out so that a min. 3 Natl's. must be starters on O. and a min. 3 starting on the D..
Blue In BC

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 02:38:47 PM »

As has been suggested before, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the ratio requirements balanced out so that a min. 3 Natl's. must be starters on O. and a min. 3 starting on the D..

That's the worst idea I've heard in quite some time. It's hard enough to find quality Canadian starters let alone dictating something like this.

EDIT: If that rule was in effect in 2018. Possible changes to Bomber starters

1. Briggs at WIL instead of JSK
2. Gauthier at MLB instead of Bighill
3. Flanders at RB instead of Harris
4. Lankford at WR instead of Woli

Yikes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:43:09 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 03:07:39 PM »

That's the worst idea I've heard in quite some time. It's hard enough to find quality Canadian starters let alone dictating something like this.

I agree. The NAT system as is works pretty well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: