Blue Bombers Forum
May 22, 2019, 04:54:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 58
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2018-2019  (Read 38826 times)
kkc60

« Reply #585 on: March 13, 2019, 12:44:04 AM »

This is so anti climatic.
Good we need another linebacker
Is this a joke,?

It's just  not right.
Who would you sign?
theaardvark

« Reply #586 on: March 13, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »

This is so anti climatic.
Good we need another linebacker
Is this a joke,?

It's just  not right.

And taking a look at players during camp is bad why? 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #587 on: March 13, 2019, 02:37:19 PM »

And taking a look at players during camp is bad why? 

It's not. We have opportunities at LB, DT, WR and returner mostly. I think the secondary is pretty solid with the veterans + Rose.

Barring injury several candidates are more realistically here to man the PR roster as developmental players. Can't see a rookie DE beating out anybody for example.

I think we have 75 players currently with 3 or 4 as non counters. It won't be long before we want to add new finds and need to bump a few rookies off the roster. Inevitably some players don't make it to the main TC. Some decide to not report / retire or ask for release for an NFL opportunity.

The 75 player limit ( excluding the non counters ) is April 30  We usually add another 6 -8 players from our open tryout camps. I'd expect some additions / deletions among the DB and receiver groups as new players are found. That's usually the biggest pool of talent at the tryouts.

We may yet sign some CFL veterans which will change the focus at certain positions ( Ackie or Joseph ) for example.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:47:42 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #588 on: March 13, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »

Are returning 2018 DP's non counters still? 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #589 on: March 13, 2019, 02:44:26 PM »

Are returning 2018 DP's non counters still? 

The 2 OL and Firlotte I believe are non counters. In theory that leaves us with 72 counters on the roster today.

No more excuses.
DM83

« Reply #590 on: March 14, 2019, 02:24:36 AM »

As I have previously bitched, we missed the boat on an impact WR.  Maybe with Montreal in trouble we can grab Posey.

Of course we can pick up an insanely talented rookie out of college.  Same as one of us winning some lottery.  This group of lost souls in. Management haven't found one in five years, so.....sure one will pop up in TC. Lol!

At best we have a window of opportunity with Bighill here.  But the team needs complimentary pieces....and Walters hasn't been even meicre with his signings.

As The bottom line.  I would, go get a prime time WR.  Do what it takes.  Give Nichols,someone who can get you 5 jump ball TDs. Plus at least another five.  I don't care about the salary cap penalty.  Loss of a  non starting Canadian rookie vs. A Grey Cup or two.

Is that even a question!
Blue In BC

« Reply #591 on: March 14, 2019, 02:44:47 PM »

As I have previously bitched, we missed the boat on an impact WR.  Maybe with Montreal in trouble we can grab Posey.

Of course we can pick up an insanely talented rookie out of college.  Same as one of us winning some lottery.  This group of lost souls in. Management haven't found one in five years, so.....sure one will pop up in TC. Lol!

At best we have a window of opportunity with Bighill here.  But the team needs complimentary pieces....and Walters hasn't been even meicre with his signings.

As The bottom line.  I would, go get a prime time WR.  Do what it takes.  Give Nichols,someone who can get you 5 jump ball TDs. Plus at least another five.  I don't care about the salary cap penalty.  Loss of a  non starting Canadian rookie vs. A Grey Cup or two.

Is that even a question!

The question is where, how do you expect that to be done? It's easy to say but let's get serious.

No team is going to trade away a top receiver without the Bombers giving up some serious player talent.

Make a suggestion you think has a reasonable chance of success.

EDIT: If we really wanted Posey we could have made him a better offer in free agency. I'm not concerned we didn't win that bidding war.  Montreal is not winning the battle of making smart decisions.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 05:32:19 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #592 on: March 14, 2019, 04:52:45 PM »

Is that even a question!

2 words.... MOVE ON

more 2 words...

DRINK RESPONSIVELY!

Grin Grin Grin
TecnoGenius

« Reply #593 on: March 15, 2019, 07:38:42 AM »

2 words.... MOVE ON

I didn't want to clutter up the thread... but I need to support DM83's comment as 100% bang on.  Everything he said is right.  And it's not just us.  I guarantee you that there will some surprise signing at WR between now and labor day (actually probably by week 1).  Who knows what that will be, but rest assured it's coming.

KW & Canadian Mafia know darn well why we lost the WF and weren't in the GC, and they will not, I repeat NOT, make the same mistake in '19.

Look at past history and progression:
1. '14-'15: after a good start, Willy starts losing us games big time, '15-'16 get a solid replacement.
2. '15 lost a lot of games because of Harralajhu (sp, whatever).  Priority #1 in '16: sign Medlock
3. '16: explosive plays given up by our DBs were killing us, '17-'18 sign & develop a more solid (but not perfect) set of guys
4. '17: Hurl at MLB is killing us in nearly every game: '18 sign a "surprise" Bighill, problem solved (guarantee you talks were going on for weeks/months beforehand, but we'll never know the truth)
5. '17: lack of top-3 in CFL WR makes life difficult: priority #1 in FA in '18: A.Bowman.  Was a bust, but intentions were good.
6. '18: lost WF because no Rogers and amazing D couldn't pull off a miracle with turnovers.  Period.  Can't fix magic, lucky "turnovers" (see: '18 Riders), but you can fix WR.

'19 the only priority is WR.  Period.  That is the final piece.  Adams is great but you need 2-3 top-10 in CFL WRs (see: CGY).  Not 1.

Let's sum points #1-6.  QB: check.  Kicker: check.  DBs: check (mostly).  MLB: check.  Oh ya, bonus, best RB and NAT to boot: check.  Let's not forget OL, which the Mafia had fixed by '15: check.  The only thing left, ONLY THING, is WR.

And you think the Canadian Mafia takes what they've been building over 5+ years, consistently improving every single year (two steps forward, one step back, due to unavoidable churn), and you think they don't address the ONLY thing keeping us out of the GC?

Pfffffffffffffttttt.  Phhhhhhhhhwwwwwww.

Big WR surprise coming by labor day (or sooner).  I'll bet my season's allotment of Shawarma Khan and Danny's Whole Hog on it.  If you still don't believe me, consider we are probably in the best SMS position of any Western team... why?  Because I'm right, and the money is sitting there for the sole purpose of fixing this one, little, thing.
TBURGESS

« Reply #594 on: March 15, 2019, 12:21:37 PM »

Just a bunch of wild guesses being passed off as guarantees.

There's no guarantee of a 'surprise' signing. If it does happen, it will be a surprise, not a guarantee.

There's no guarantee that we were in talks with Bighill at any time before he made it known that he was available. That one was good luck not good planning.

Same can be said for getting Nichols. He'd lost his job in Edmonton. He was the only backup QB available when Willy got hurt again. He wasn't brought in to save the team, he was brought in to be Willy's backup. It was still Willy's team the next year until the losing become so bad that we were forced to make a change.

'19 has several priorities. We've downgraded at OL and receiver on offence and at DT, LB and DB on defence. We've upgraded at DE, which wasn't a position of weakness in the first place. We need to find replacements for all the guys we lost and no, I don't just mean putting their backups, cuz we know their names, in and hoping for the best.

Being right never gets old.
dd

« Reply #595 on: March 15, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »

WR is not the only priority, mind you it?s a fairly big one and no denying we need an upgraded receiving corps, no doubt or argument there. But lost in all of this is the hit our O line took with Goose and chungh departures.

Yes, we desparately need a bonafide #1 WR but there are some serious question marks at guard and centre right now too
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:47:43 PM by dd » Logged
booch

« Reply #596 on: March 15, 2019, 01:25:06 PM »

Just a bunch of wild guesses being passed off as guarantees.

There's no guarantee of a 'surprise' signing. If it does happen, it will be a surprise, not a guarantee.

There's no guarantee that we were in talks with Bighill at any time before he made it known that he was available. That one was good luck not good planning.

Same can be said for getting Nichols. He'd lost his job in Edmonton. He was the only backup QB available when Willy got hurt again. He wasn't brought in to save the team, he was brought in to be Willy's backup. It was still Willy's team the next year until the losing become so bad that we were forced to make a change.

'19 has several priorities. We've downgraded at OL and receiver on offence and at DT, LB and DB on defence. We've upgraded at DE, which wasn't a position of weakness in the first place. We need to find replacements for all the guys we lost and no, I don't just mean putting their backups, cuz we know their names, in and hoping for the best.

The jury is still out on if we are down graded at LB and DB. I actually think we got better at DB...Younger and more athletic and both Sayles and Alexander should be better than last year, Rose is better than Fogg and Randle's leadership will be missed, but pretty sure the incumbents can make up for that loss, and we have both Fenner and Gaitor 100 percent healthy right outta the gate too with Humes a possibility with a part of season in the system and some game reps...albeit it limited. Loffler...will not be missed and we got more athletic in the back now regardless who plays the safety..big hits once in a while don't win games..pick's and blanket coverage on deep balls do tho

LB..if Gaitor resumes SAM then him and Biggie are back and we shall see if Wilson can continue his good play from the play-offs, or a new guy jumps out...regardless at worst we have an athletic guy who has been here several seasons to start the season..and isn't a raw rookie...so not too worried.

OL definitely looks to be weakened from last year, can't argue that but again...we have luxury of a couple guys who have been here 3 years with game experience to step in, and a top pick in Gray who I think has a higher ceiling than either of Chungh or Goosen so way may start out season ot as strong, but they should gel into a great group and most likely top 2-3 in league again

DT again is a wait and see..Nevis could be back...may not be..but Bryant showed very well and is returning, and maybe one of the new recruits is this year's Poop and dominates from the get go...but keeps it sustained
Blue In BC

« Reply #597 on: March 15, 2019, 02:29:50 PM »

I like the way the secondary is shaping up. Regardless of whether Fenner or Gaitor moves from SAM we also added Rose. While I'm a bit reluctant about Jones as safety I think overall our secondary is not going to be a concern.

Also liked Humes in his one game showing.

DL is solid with only 1 DT not accounted for at the moment. Adding Jefferson is huge. Need some more Canadian depth possibly via the draft or later signings among free agents.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:48:06 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #598 on: March 15, 2019, 02:46:05 PM »

we realy don't need any Canadian depth at all along the D-line, and Forde and Thomas is enough...especially if we don't need to start 2 Nationals on defense...especially if we see an Ackie signing here, that would basically relegate I bet one of Thomas and Forde to not even make the 44 man roster..and that would to me be a perfect scenario as we could roster a more skilled position player in their place
Blue In BC

« Reply #599 on: March 15, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »

we realy don't need any Canadian depth at all along the D-line, and Forde and Thomas is enough...especially if we don't need to start 2 Nationals on defense...especially if we see an Ackie signing here, that would basically relegate I bet one of Thomas and Forde to not even make the 44 man roster..and that would to me be a perfect scenario as we could roster a more skilled position player in their place

I'm not sure how well Forde may perform. He may be a better option than Thomas. The point about depth was really about creating more / better competition during TC. There is no injury depth at the moment either.  It's been mentioned that Joseph would be an upgrade.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 58
  Print  

Jump to: