Blue Bombers Forum
April 22, 2019, 08:12:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 45
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2018-2019  (Read 27976 times)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #540 on: February 14, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »

I fon't trust guys who speed up their highlight videos.

So I will say no.
agreed

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
DM83

« Reply #541 on: February 14, 2019, 01:46:09 PM »

Yawnnnnnnn!
We signed one guy at a position we didn't need to upgrade.
We struck out on our most glaring need. A first string WR.
We have a non existent O line, missing two starters.  We lost a LB, A Safety and half the secondary.
Reluctantly signed a mediocre SB.
Good job Walters.

Sounds like it will be The Bombers and The Ti-Cats for the birth to the Grey Cup.
What a non exciting effort.  So between the Argos, Alouettes, amd the Bombers, we did the best!
Go Blue!
theaardvark

« Reply #542 on: February 14, 2019, 02:02:01 PM »

Yawnnnnnnn!
We signed one guy at a position we didn't need to upgrade.
We struck out on our most glaring need. A first string WR.
We have a non existent O line, missing two starters.  We lost a LB, A Safety and half the secondary.
Reluctantly signed a mediocre SB.
Good job Walters.

Sounds like it will be The Bombers and The Ti-Cats for the birth to the Grey Cup.
What a non exciting effort.  So between the Argos, Alouettes, amd the Bombers, we did the best!
Go Blue!

Wow.. I really needed a chuckle this morning, thanks...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #543 on: February 14, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »

Wow.. I really needed a chuckle this morning, thanks...

While the post is clearly an exaggeration, there are elements that ring true. Not very many people would have predicted our only major free agent acquisition would be DE. We haven't yet done much to address our generally agreed upon needs. We've lost, released or haven't signed a large contingent of key players, many of which were starters. Those include (or at least contributors): Randle, Chungh, Santos-Knox, Gooosen, Corney, Dressler, Fogg, LaFrance, Nevis, Okapalguo, Wild and others. Some of those players can be replaced with depth. We should have decent money to spend, and yet we didn't do much when the biggest impact makers were available.

Obviously, we're playing the long game and are possibly gambling on acquiring players via NFL cuts or other CFL cuts. I wouldn't completely laugh off other fans' concerns. On the surface, there is a lot of work to be done. Walters free agency day was a yawn, and not because we have everything figured out.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:31:13 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #544 on: February 14, 2019, 03:32:10 PM »

While the post is clearly an exaggeration, there are elements that ring true. Not very many people would have predicted our only major free agent acquisition would be DE. We haven't yet done much to address our generally agreed upon needs. We've lost, released or haven't signed a large contingent of key players, many of which were starters. Those include: Randle, Chungh, Santos-Knox, Gooosen, Corney, Dressler, Fogg, LaFrance, Nevis, Okapalguo, Wild and others. Some of those players can be replaced with depth. We should have decent money to spend, and yet we didn't do much when the biggest impact makers were available.

Obviously, we're playing the long game and are possibly gambling on acquiring players via NFL cuts or other CFL cuts. I wouldn't completely laugh off other fans' concerns. On the surface, there is a lot of work to be done. Walters free agency day was a yawn, and not because we have everything figured out.

While it has been re-hashed over and over, rosters change.  That is the dynamic of pro sports.  We "lost" Chungh, Loffler, Goossen and JSK.  The rest we moved on from of our own choice, for whatever reasons.  Part of the drafting/drecruiting/development 

Huge difference to most of the teams this year.  We did not lose an irreplaceable starter.  Sure, we downgraded on some, but upgraded on others, by addition or by development. 

Chungh/Goossen replaced by Couture/Gray.  Maybe not the timeline we had hoped for, would have been nice to get one more year to make the change, but Goossen and Chungh started with less development time than Couture and Gray have had.

Loffler. Nuff said.

JSK.  Wilson is a fraction of the cost, andwe don't know if he's going to be a huge drop in performance.  Again, he is at the same spot JSK was when he started last season, a year of CFL play under his belt, and the management must know what he is capable of, which is why we did not get in a bidding war. 

The rest of the team has another year under their belts, playing with mostly the same teamates, for the same coaches.  Continuity means that we are going to start the year ahead of the curve with a deeper playbook. 

I agree with GCn19, we have a darned good DC right now.  And its only going to get better.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #545 on: February 14, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »

Sure the younger guys might do OK. Sure, we should have a bunch of SMS money to spend. Sure, things will change before the games start, but right now, I don't see much in the way of upgrades. I'd say DE is the only upgraded spot so far.

Being right never gets old.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #546 on: February 14, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »

While it has been re-hashed over and over, rosters change.  That is the dynamic of pro sports.  We "lost" Chungh, Loffler, Goossen and JSK.  The rest we moved on from of our own choice, for whatever reasons.  Part of the drafting/drecruiting/development 

Huge difference to most of the teams this year.  We did not lose an irreplaceable starter.  Sure, we downgraded on some, but upgraded on others, by addition or by development. 

Chungh/Goossen replaced by Couture/Gray.  Maybe not the timeline we had hoped for, would have been nice to get one more year to make the change, but Goossen and Chungh started with less development time than Couture and Gray have had.

Loffler. Nuff said.

JSK.  Wilson is a fraction of the cost, andwe don't know if he's going to be a huge drop in performance.  Again, he is at the same spot JSK was when he started last season, a year of CFL play under his belt, and the management must know what he is capable of, which is why we did not get in a bidding war. 

The rest of the team has another year under their belts, playing with mostly the same teamates, for the same coaches.  Continuity means that we are going to start the year ahead of the curve with a deeper playbook. 

I agree with GCn19, we have a darned good DC right now.  And its only going to get better.

Goossen retired, the other three moved on because they were paid more by other clubs.

Gray has had almost no development time with us. He's a blue-chip prospect and a questionable starter. Couture should be ready, I agree with you there.

What is "Nuff said" about Loffler mean? He was an all-star safety that we've currently replaced with Jeff Hecht.

Wilson is a fraction of the cost of Santos-Knox because Wilson has four career defensive tackles. Our defensive core has no proven tackle, Jake Thomas going to start and be an every down player? We've only got one corner, and he's new to the team with one year's worth of starters experience. I agree we do have some good to awesome pieces on defense.

It's not all doom and gloom, but you're fooling yourself if you think we're in a great place right now.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:48:39 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
booch

« Reply #547 on: February 14, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »

I'd say Rose is an upgrade over Fogg...and when you look at re-signs and guys not re-signed..Augustine is an upgrade over Lafrance..and cheaper
Jefferson is an upgrade over Opo...and free-agency is only in day 3 so one is foolish to judge now.

I think we will still sign a receiver...so that in itself regardless of who will be an upgrade, and work on getting Chris Ackie in here... Also think Walters will get those valuable depth guys who can rotate in..a guy like Jesse Joseph in Mtl or Max Forde in B.C

booch

« Reply #548 on: February 14, 2019, 03:57:14 PM »

Goossen retired, the other three moved on because they were paid more by other clubs.

Gray has had almost no development time with us. He's a blue-chip prospect and a questionable starter. Couture should be ready, I agree with you there.

What is "Nuff said" about Loffler mean? He was an all-star safety that we've currently replaced with Jeff Hecht.

Wilson is a fraction of the cost of Santos-Knox because Wilson has four career defensive tackles. Our defensive core has no proven tackle, Jake Thomas going to start and be an every down player? We've only got one corner, and he's new to the team with one year's worth of starters experience. I agree we do have some good to awesome pieces on defense.

It's not all doom and gloom, but you're fooling yourself if you think we're in a great place right now.

How many defensive tackle did JSK get before he got his chance to start in 2017?....I'd say none?...that point is basically...pointless

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #549 on: February 14, 2019, 04:00:46 PM »

I'd say Rose is an upgrade over Fogg...and when you look at re-signs and guys not re-signed..Augustine is an upgrade over Lafrance..and cheaper
Jefferson is an upgrade over Opo...and free-agency is only in day 3 so one is foolish to judge now.

I think we will still sign a receiver...so that in itself regardless of who will be an upgrade, and work on getting Chris Ackie in here... Also think Walters will get those valuable depth guys who can rotate in..a guy like Jesse Joseph in Mtl or Max Forde in B.C

I'm not judging the final product. Just where we are today. The roster could end of being the strongest in the West. Right now though - there are plenty of holes and question marks. If Rose is replacing Fogg, then that's something, although currently, he happens to be the only legitimate corner on the roster with CFL experience. No problem with Augustine over LaFrance. I do question the decision to not be more active in Free Agency, we've obviously got money to spend -- and most of the top tier players who would easily plug and play into our current lineup are gone.
TBURGESS

« Reply #550 on: February 14, 2019, 04:05:31 PM »

Augustine is an upgrade over Lafrance..and cheaper
We had both last year.

Being right never gets old.
theaardvark

« Reply #551 on: February 14, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »

We are in a great place right now.  Its day 3 of FA.  our lineup is mostly intact, with some new players and some holes that we have plenty of time and SMS to fill.  Including what could be the best QB group in the league... 

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #552 on: February 14, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »

I'm not judging the final product. Just where we are today. The roster could end of being the strongest in the West. Right now though - there are plenty of holes and question marks. If Rose is replacing Fogg, then that's something, although currently, he happens to be the only legitimate corner on the roster with CFL experience. No problem with Augustine over LaFrance. I do question the decision to not be more active in Free Agency, we've obviously got money to spend -- and most of the top tier players who would easily plug and play into our current lineup are gone.

My main concern with the current lineup is the diminishing pool of Natl's available that can fill the spots vacated by Chungh, Goosen and Loffler.  With the mention of the possibility of a 3 N.I. O-line that indicates they will need to find 2 Natl. starters on the D-side, so I fail to see why Walters is not more active in the pursuit of the few F.A. Natl's that were available. 

I don't see any urgency to fill Import spots at this time with expensive names, TC is months away and they can continue to improve that category right up until the day camp opens.
booch

« Reply #553 on: February 14, 2019, 04:17:48 PM »

We had both last year.

Yeah but Lafrance took Augustines looks..and spot on roster a lot...and did squat at 110k a year
Norm W

« Reply #554 on: February 14, 2019, 04:20:36 PM »

Not very many people would have predicted our only major free agent acquisition would be DE. We haven't yet done much to address our generally agreed upon needs. We've lost, released or haven't signed a large contingent of key players, many of which were starters.

Well I get to crow, at least a little bit for another day or two perhaps, still a few names to be had! But I did say/write that the Bombers were not going to make a big splash in the F/A pool. There standing pat, going with new found blood and draft picks.

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 45
  Print  

Jump to: