Blue Bombers Forum
May 19, 2022, 05:07:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 98
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2018-2019  (Read 334818 times)
Horseman

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2018, 04:14:44 PM »

If the talent in the CIS was so good, Cauchy Muamba wouldn't have had an 8-year career in the CFL (and counting). There are some gems that come out of the CIS for sure, but those are the needles in the haystack. And I mean no disrepect to CIS, and those that like it, they are fantastic CIS-level athletes but very few are capable of being impact players at the next level.

Same can be said about NCAA players, there are good ones and then there are the fringe and in between players, same as the CIS. I can speak from experience as I played against a Division 1 NCAA team (Northern Arizona Lumberjacks) and was also recruited by Division 1 NCAA, Dartmouth (Big Green) University, Hanover NH. I did not attend Dartmouth as at that time the Ivy League did not offer scholarships so I could not afford the tuition or cost to go there. The person I played against for NAU was projected to be a first round NFL draft choice. I elected to play CIS football on a scholarship and can say I have played against tougher/better players in the CIS than the projected 1st round NFL draft pick from NAU.
kkc60

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2018, 04:16:47 PM »

It's great to know we are signing our special teams aces.....however, it doesn't motivate me to think management has faith in maintaining possession in offence, when we prioritize signing. Kick cover guys.......lol!

On another note....do we actually sign any former Div 1 NCAA guys?

This latest signing of a defensive tackle from some obscure Div III community college in Minnesota, is like signing a guy from the Red River community College inter- mural program. Lol!

Come on man!
Small program guys can sometimes be the brightest gems. They come here younger because the NFL tends to over look small school guys.

You're making it sound like these guys play for the Rifles. Whatever school they played at doesn't always matter. Not every div 1 player makes it in the pros just like not every div 3 player doesn't

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2018, 04:35:48 PM »

Small program guys can sometimes be the brightest gems. They come here younger because the NFL tends to over look small school guys.

You're making it sound like these guys play for the Rifles. Whatever school they played at doesn't always matter. Not every div 1 player makes it in the pros just like not every div 3 player doesn't

That's where the CFL should focus their recruitment, too many eyes on the Div. 1 players and big name schools, most current CFL QB's came out of Div. 3.  Find the good individual athletes with potential that have not had the best coaching, facilities or program behind them but still have a burning desire to play pro and possess a high football acumen.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 04:46:00 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
the paw

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2018, 04:43:24 PM »

Same can be said about NCAA players, there are good ones and then there are the fringe and in between players, same as the CIS. I can speak from experience as I played against a Division 1 NCAA team (Northern Arizona Lumberjacks) and was also recruited by Division 1 NCAA, Dartmouth (Big Green) University, Hanover NH. I did not attend Dartmouth as at that time the Ivy League did not offer scholarships so I could not afford the tuition or cost to go there. The person I played against for NAU was projected to be a first round NFL draft choice. I elected to play CIS football on a scholarship and can say I have played against tougher/better players in the CIS than the projected 1st round NFL draft pick from NAU.

This is a little confusing.  If you played CIS, how did you end up playing against the NAU guy?  Was it in high school?    Also, I am not sure how much we can extrapolate from a single example.

However, narrative aside, I agree that CIS has produced some very good ball players.  There are certainly guys who played in CIS who could have played NCAA ball.  How often they could have played at the Division 1 level is open for debate, however if Simon Fraser can run a program in CIS and then join NCAA Division 2, that's probably a fair indicator for comparison. 

grab grass 'n growl
Horseman

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »

This is a little confusing.  If you played CIS, how did you end up playing against the NAU guy?  Was it in high school?    Also, I am not sure how much we can extrapolate from a single example.

However, narrative aside, I agree that CIS has produced some very good ball players.  There are certainly guys who played in CIS who could have played NCAA ball.  How often they could have played at the Division 1 level is open for debate, however if Simon Fraser can run a program in CIS and then join NCAA Division 2, that's probably a fair indicator for comparison. 

It was an exhibition game between our CIS team and NAU in Flagstaff in their dome. We were allowed to use our motion, played 4 downs, and our QB's used the American ball as it was easier to throw and catch with compared to the Canadian ball.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2018, 04:56:46 PM »

Thanks for sharing your personal story, that's cool! I am not trying to discount it, but everything I know from watching (admittedly, not playing) leads me to believe the CIS is not even close to being on par with the Division 1 football (and for the most part, not Div II either). If it was even in the same stratosphere, NFL teams would be up here signing guys all the time but they aren't.

You just look at the money, amenities, coaching and sheer numbers of athletes that is available down south for high school and college compared to Canada and it boggles the mind. There's no possible way that our system comes close to rivaling the output of the US in terms of quantity or quality. It's impossible.
Blue In BC

« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »

Current roster about 64 players with 29 or 30 potential free agents.

2019 Grey Cup Champions
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2018, 05:07:15 PM »

Thanks for sharing your personal story, that's cool! I am not trying to discount it, but everything I know from watching (admittedly, not playing) leads me to believe the CIS is not even close to being on par with the Division 1 football (and for the most part, not Div II either). If it was even in the same stratosphere, NFL teams would be up here signing guys all the time but they aren't.

You just look at the money, amenities, coaching and sheer numbers of athletes that is available down south for high school and college compared to Canada and it boggles the mind. There's no possible way that our system comes close to rivaling the output of the US in terms of quantity or quality. It's impossible.

True, but you won't find a CIS player graduating without a legitimate education, they have their priorities straight.  Half the college players in the US come out of school just as dumb as when they entered.
GCn19

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2018, 05:09:59 PM »

True, but you won't find a CIS player graduating without a legitimate education, they have their priorities straight.  Half the college players in the US come out of school just as dumb as when they entered.

Half the Presidents of the United States come out as dumb as NCAA football players. I don't think stupidity is a symptom of playing football in the US. No offense to 66.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Horseman

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2018, 06:26:43 PM »

I agree, CIS does not compare with Division 1, but the point I was trying to make is that there are a lot of CIS players that are just as good talent wise as Division 1 players, but where the difference is lies in the level of coaching the players receive.
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2018, 07:39:28 PM »

Bombers Sign Two 2018 Draft Picks

WINNIPEG, MB., December 18, 2018 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have added two 2018 CFL Draft picks - both offensive lineman - Matthew Ouellet De Carlo and Ben Koczwara. Both players were with the team in training camp in 2018.

De Carlo (6-4, 318, Bishop's University, November 7, 1993 in Pierrefond QC) was selected 49th overall in the 2018 CFL Draft. He played four seasons with the Bishop's Gaiters. De Carlo is a two-time Academic All-Canadian and participated in the 2017 U Sports East-West bowl. In 2014, De Carlo received newcomer of the year honors and in 2016 was named linemen of the year for the Gaiters.

Koczwara (6-3, 291, Waterloo University) was selected 67th overall in the 2018 CFL Draft. He played four seasons with the Waterloo Warriors, playing in 31 games. Koczwara participated in the 2017 U Sports East-West Bowl.

kkc60

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2018, 09:45:05 PM »

Because different programs. Junior hockey players in canada are the exact same
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2018, 12:59:06 AM »

Because different programs. Junior hockey players in canada are the exact same

Not comparable, JR. hockey players don't play for or represent educational institutions and CIS hockey players are legitimate student athletes that must earn their grades.  That being said if millions of dollars was generated from college sports here as in the US perhaps we'd most likely see a similar situation develop.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:30:45 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
gobombersgo
Global Moderator

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2018, 01:36:34 AM »

Blue Bombers' 2018 draft pick retires before signing first pro contract

Arnaud Gendron-Dumouchel has decided to hang up his (very large) cleats.

The 6'9 offensive lineman out of the University of Montreal missed most of the 2018 U Sports season due to a terrible ankle injury (warning: video is graphic).
https://www.journaldequebec.com/2018/09/08/video-un-joueur-des-carabins-subit-une-terrible-blessure-a-la-cheville-contre-le-rouge-et-or

Gendron-Dumouchel has decided not to play professional football as a result of the injury.

The offensive tackle saw his stock rise before and after last year's CFL combine. He eventually dropped to Winnipeg in the fourth round of the draft due to his desire to return to school for his final year of U Sports eligibility.

The Bombers have two offensive linemen under contract from their 2018 draft class - Bishop's Matthew Ouellet De Carlo and Waterloo's Ben Koczwara - but Gendron-Dumouchel was the best prospect among them.

http://3downnation.com/2018/12/18/blue-bombers-2018-draft-pick-retires-signing-first-pro-contract/

kkc60

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2018, 02:44:04 AM »

Another reason CIS football emphasises education more: they are preparing players for CFL which requires an actual job along with playing. Meanwhile most NCAA Div 1 programs are preparing for NFL. You don't need another job for the most part
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 98
  Print  

Jump to: