Blue Bombers Forum
April 07, 2020, 09:56:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 98
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers roster - 2018-2019  (Read 117192 times)
RebusRankin

« Reply #1170 on: August 27, 2019, 10:19:00 PM »

I'm thinking more likely to move K. Jones to PR as the less valuable player.

As I've continued to say that gets Santiago on the roster as a DI. It doesn't directly get him starting at RB.

Wrote the wrong name, Kory Jones is who I meant.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #1171 on: August 27, 2019, 10:39:23 PM »

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/08/27/next-man-augustine-santiago/

If Ed Tait's latest article is any kind of clue it looks like they intend to play both Augustine and Santiago, but Santiago has not yet been removed from the PR which is strange.

Question: Are PR players allowed to practice with the rest of the roster?  I thought there was a rule in place that made them practice apart due to insurance liability issues.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:41:18 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #1172 on: August 27, 2019, 10:39:41 PM »

k Jones out for Santiago. Got it.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Blue In BC

« Reply #1173 on: August 28, 2019, 01:35:47 AM »

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/08/27/next-man-augustine-santiago/

If Ed Tait's latest article is any kind of clue it looks like they intend to play both Augustine and Santiago, but Santiago has not yet been removed from the PR which is strange.

Question: Are PR players allowed to practice with the rest of the roster?  I thought there was a rule in place that made them practice apart due to insurance liability issues.

Yes PR players can practice. Usually the roster moves are done 1 day before the game.

One variable I'm waiting to see develop is whether Roh is healthy. I suppose they could make him a DI and take McAllister off the game day roster. Still gives them some depth and options on the DL while giving Kongbo and Hansen as well.

If Roh doesn't dress than McAllister becomes a DI and gets some reps but probably less than Roh might.

We have some NI depth at LB but we tend to use DL rotation more frequently.

No more excuses.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #1174 on: August 28, 2019, 02:37:59 AM »

McCalister deserve another game. Let Roh heal a bit.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #1175 on: August 28, 2019, 02:41:27 AM »

McCalister deserve another game. Let Roh heal a bit.
I agree McCallister is a beast that?s only gonna get better. Let Rob heal more.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #1176 on: August 28, 2019, 02:50:54 AM »

Yes PR players can practice. Usually the roster moves are done 1 day before the game.

Thanks, I should have asked is Santiago allowed to take first team reps. even though he is still listed on the PR? 

I sure hope so.
gobombersgo

« Reply #1177 on: August 28, 2019, 07:51:36 AM »

Willie Jefferson lowballed by Riders; took less choosing Bombers
by Justin Dunk

Willie Jefferson was't seeing the type of green he wanted to from the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Chris Jones leaving the Riders led to Jefferson testing the open market, especially after the green and white offered him less than $175,000. Jefferson negotiated his own free agent contract and felt the offer was below market value.

The Toronto Argonauts were in the mix, but Jefferson wanted $235,000 to sign in the six. He chose what he felt was the best opportunity to win a Grey Cup in 2019. Jefferson inked a one-year contract worth $210,000 with Winnipeg that included the following: a $100,000 signing bonus; $90,000 base salary; $15,000 housing; and $5,000 travel.

Jones had been able to keep Jefferson in Saskatchewan in 2018 at a rate of $155,000 plus incentives. Being named a CFL all-star for a second-straight year under Jones netted some extra cash. If Jones, who left for a job with the Cleveland Browns, was still in Saskatchewan it's near certain that Jefferson would have remained in Rider green.

Jefferson had spent all five seasons in Canada in Jones' defence - two in Edmonton and three Saskatchewan. During those years, Jefferson played 58 CFL games and recorded 127 tackles, 31 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions, and three touchdowns.

The terrorizing defender raised his level in 2018, posting a career-high ten sacks and two pick-sixes. The 28-year-old is an elite defender in the CFL.

With Jones leaving Saskatchewan, Jefferson joined an improved Bombers' defence and a unit that features stud linebacker Adam Bighill who was named the Most Outstanding Defensive Player last season.

The Beaumont, Texas native was holding out for an NFL contract but there was little to no interest, perhaps because Jefferson had shots with three NFL teams in the past. He signed as an undrafted NFL free agent in 2013 with the Houston Texans where he played in six games, making two tackles. Buffalo had Jefferson in for a brief stint, but the Bills soon released him. Washington brought Jefferson to training camp in 2016, but released the six-foot-six, 245-pound defender among the final cuts.

The Bombers are beneficiaries of the NFL's oversight. Jefferson has notched eight sacks, forced a career-high five fumbles, and recorded an interception while Winnipeg's defence has become one of the most difficult units to score against in the CFL.

It's clear the Bombers made a proper investment when they signed Willie Jefferson.

https://3downnation.com/2019/08/27/willie-jefferson-lowballed-by-riders-took-less-choosing-bombers/

Blue In BC

« Reply #1178 on: August 28, 2019, 12:51:44 PM »

I agree McCallister is a beast that?s only gonna get better. Let Rob heal more.

That's a reasonable option as well. It wouldn't surprise me to see that happen.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:21:13 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #1179 on: August 28, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »

Thanks, I should have asked is Santiago allowed to take first team reps. even though he is still listed on the PR? 

I sure hope so.

Also yes to that question but I think there will be a close to 50 / 50 split this week. It's not like either player hasn't been with the team until recently.

Both have been here and know the play book. Santiago might get more game reps this weekend but I'm expecting we'll see Augustine involved as a 1B too.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:21:59 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #1180 on: August 28, 2019, 03:55:25 PM »

by Justin Dunk

Willie Jefferson was't seeing the type of green he wanted to from the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Chris Jones leaving the Riders led to Jefferson testing the open market, especially after the green and white offered him less than $175,000. Jefferson negotiated his own free agent contract and felt the offer was below market value.

The Toronto Argonauts were in the mix, but Jefferson wanted $235,000 to sign in the six. He chose what he felt was the best opportunity to win a Grey Cup in 2019. Jefferson inked a one-year contract worth $210,000 with Winnipeg that included the following: a $100,000 signing bonus; $90,000 base salary; $15,000 housing; and $5,000 travel.

Jones had been able to keep Jefferson in Saskatchewan in 2018 at a rate of $155,000 plus incentives. Being named a CFL all-star for a second-straight year under Jones netted some extra cash. If Jones, who left for a job with the Cleveland Browns, was still in Saskatchewan it's near certain that Jefferson would have remained in Rider green.

Jefferson had spent all five seasons in Canada in Jones' defence - two in Edmonton and three Saskatchewan. During those years, Jefferson played 58 CFL games and recorded 127 tackles, 31 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions, and three touchdowns.

The terrorizing defender raised his level in 2018, posting a career-high ten sacks and two pick-sixes. The 28-year-old is an elite defender in the CFL.

With Jones leaving Saskatchewan, Jefferson joined an improved Bombers' defence and a unit that features stud linebacker Adam Bighill who was named the Most Outstanding Defensive Player last season.

The Beaumont, Texas native was holding out for an NFL contract but there was little to no interest, perhaps because Jefferson had shots with three NFL teams in the past. He signed as an undrafted NFL free agent in 2013 with the Houston Texans where he played in six games, making two tackles. Buffalo had Jefferson in for a brief stint, but the Bills soon released him. Washington brought Jefferson to training camp in 2016, but released the six-foot-six, 245-pound defender among the final cuts.

The Bombers are beneficiaries of the NFL's oversight. Jefferson has notched eight sacks, forced a career-high five fumbles, and recorded an interception while Winnipeg's defence has become one of the most difficult units to score against in the CFL.

It's clear the Bombers made a proper investment when they signed Willie Jefferson.

https://3downnation.com/2019/08/27/willie-jefferson-lowballed-by-riders-took-less-choosing-bombers/

I like this story. Grin

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid.
gobombersgo

« Reply #1181 on: August 28, 2019, 09:38:14 PM »

Blue Bombers release receiver Chris Matthews

WINNIPEG, MB., August 20, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has released receiver Chris Matthews.

Jeff Hamilton   @jeffkhamilton
The #Bombers have decided to release WR Chris Matthews from his three-year contract this morning. Matthews, who has battled injuries this year, was brought in to be a major piece of the offence. But he's now a free agent. #wfp

Ted Wyman   @Ted_Wyman
#Bombers have released WR Chris Matthews. Has had a very unproductive season since signing three year contract in May. Crazy week of developments. #CFL

Chris Matthews had 12 catches for 180 yards in six games this season for #Bombers. For some perspective, DaVaris Daniels of Eskimos had 10 catches for 207 yards last week vs Winnipeg. #CFL

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming
After missing two stretches of time due to injury, Chris Matthews made 12 catches on 23 targets for 180 yards and a touchdown in the six games he suited up for this season.

Matthews' most productive yardage game was two weeks ago vs BC where he had two grabs (51 and 10 yards).

Bob Irving   @BobIrvingCJOB
Bombers release Chris Mathews, who signed a 3-year deal this spring. apparently doesn't "fit" what they do on offence.  Be interesting to see how quickly he lands elsewhere.

Christian Aumell   @CJOBchristian
So Chris Matthews finishes with 12 rec for 180 yds and a TD in 6 games. Kenny Lawler, who basically stole the job, has 16 rec for 263 yds and a TD in 8 games. Cap space for new backup QB? #Bombers

Bob Irving   @BobIrvingCJOB
Darvin Adams expected return this week is part of the reason for the release of Chris Mathews. Mathews contract for this year would have been guaranteed after Friday but his salary isn't prohibitive so this is more of a football decision than a "cap" decision.

Jeff Hamilton   @jeffkhamilton
Chris Matthews production was minimal, considering the original plan when he first arrived. But to release a veteran player like that, in a season where the Bombers are GC favourites, is borderline insane. Going to be hard to explain this one. Feels like deja vu from last season.

Ted Wyman   @Ted_Wyman
Looks like Darvin Adams is back practising with #Bombers this morning, which certainly makes sense given release of Chris Matthews this morning. #CFL
Mike O'Shea on the release of Chris Matthews: "It's never ever one reason but Darvin Adams is coming back and we certainly like Kenny Lawler so it was a situation where (Matthews) was gonna be off the roster." #Bombers #CFL

Darrin Bauming   @DarrinBauming
The #Bombers were going to deactivate Chris Matthews from the roster one way or another this week. They decided to release him. Matthews would have been due his full salary if he was still with Winnipeg this coming Friday.

gobombersgo

« Reply #1182 on: August 28, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »

BOMBERS ADD QUARTERBACK ANDERSON TO PRACTICE ROSTER

WINNIPEG, MB., August 28, 2019 -   The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has added International quarterback Kevin Anderson to the practice roster.

Anderson (6'2, 215, Fordham, Boca Raton, FL.) spent rookie camp with the team in 2019. He played four seasons for the Fordham Rams, completing 580 passes for 7,663 yards and 73 touchdowns. Anderson holds the record for most touchdown passes in the school's history and ranks top ten all-time in career passing yards and completions. In 2018, Anderson spent time with the Orlando Apollos of the AAF.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/08/28/bombers-add-quarterback-anderson-practice-roster/

Ted Wyman    @Ted_Wyman
Looks like #Bombers won't be signing an experienced QB, at least not for now, with Matt Nichols out. Bringing back Kevin Anderson, who was at mini camp and was cut after rookie camp this year. Also played in AAF this year. #CFL #Bombers putting faith in Streveler, McGuire

Bob Irving   @BobIrvingCJOB
Bombers talked to Drew Willy about returning but that didn't work out so Kevin Anderson, who was in the teams rookie camp, will be brought back to be number three.

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #1183 on: August 28, 2019, 09:44:22 PM »

by Justin Dunk

Well done thanks for posting. And to think the Riders gave Jones the fool every title in the book. LOL

66 Chevelle

« Reply #1184 on: August 28, 2019, 09:57:33 PM »

well I was surprised by 2 things in here today... 1. that Matthews got cut, maybe we could have traded him to Toronto for Franklin? and 2. that we actually spoke with Willy about coming back...   

you just never know what's around the corner around here, lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 98
  Print  

Jump to: