Blue Bombers Forum
December 11, 2019, 07:48:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Grey Cup Story or Memory(s)  (Read 424 times)
Lincoln Locomotive

« on: November 30, 2019, 05:19:29 AM »

It's been 29 years and there's been a lot of angst built up over almost 3 decades that I thought I should create a thread about any personal stories associated with the game on Sunday.   The stories don't have to necessarily be football stories per se however if they are that's ok too.

One story I have was about meeting Bob Cameron and his brother Grant at Hudson's Tap House on the night before the Grey Cup game.    We were standing and drinking beers as there was no place to sit at the time when a tallish Grey haired fella with glasses walked by with a big toothy smile.   As he passes by us I suddenly realize that this familiar face is Bob Cameron so I ask him and sure enough he was.   I introduced him to all my buds and bought him a beer as well as his brother Grant.   Both are just regular guys and very humbled by the fact that they were suddenly getting all this "star" attention.    Over the course of the evening the two moved around the room quite a lot talking to everyone and to some who obviously knew them personally.   A few hours later they walked by again and I had just bought four more beers and I passed one to each of them.   I told Bob I thought he was the best punter in Bomber history and he truly appreciated the compliment.   He told me the story of him trying out for the NFL Buffalo Bills in 79' and he got to play in an exhibition game against Terry Bradshaw and the Pittsburgh Steelers.   He said he punted well but was cut later that week, so he headed back to Canada and tried out the following spring for the Bombers....the rest they say is history!   I talked quite a bit with his brother Grant who said Bob had a great life in Winnipeg raising a family of 4 kids while running a construction business and playing for the Bombers.   Apparently there is another brother besides Grant and they all get along and are very tight as a family.    It was an honour and privilege to meet the both of them and if I could find a way to download the pics I got of them as well as a picture of his phone which had a pic of the locker room celebration after the 88 Cup, I would but apparently the file size is too large so I couldn't.   I'm not very tech saavy unfortunately....

It would be great to hear from others on this site who had a personal story that they will remember for the rest of their lives and share it with the rest of us.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:20:03 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 06:15:31 AM »

We (wife and I) live in BC and we like to travel to Winnipeg and take in a week of training camp every year as well as the Banjo Bowl.

We have had the opportunity meet many of the Blue Bomber team including Carol Barrott, Mike O'Shea, Paul LaPolice, Buck Pierce among others and also, over the years, many players.

The thing that strikes us is that these people remember us coming from BC and this simply reflects the relationships that can be developed with Blue Bomber and CFL personnel across the league.

I think it is unique in a league of professionals that they actually appreciate and care about the fans.  Same applies when fans from every team in the league gather at the Grey Cup and can relate to one another and enjoy the camaraderie of being a CFL fan.

It is special.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 07:43:38 AM »

We (wife and I) live in BC and we like to travel to Winnipeg and take in a week of training camp every year as well as the Banjo Bowl.

We have had the opportunity meet many of the Blue Bomber team including Carol Barrott, Mike O'Shea, Paul LaPolice, Buck Pierce among others and also, over the years, many players.

The thing that strikes us is that these people remember us coming from BC and this simply reflects the relationships that can be developed with Blue Bomber and CFL personnel across the league.

I think it is unique in a league of professionals that they actually appreciate and care about the fans.  Same applies when fans from every team in the league gather at the Grey Cup and can relate to one another and enjoy the camaraderie of being a CFL fan.

It is special.
Very cool....i met a BC fan at the airport in Calgary while having breakfast.   The discussion revolved around Andrew Harris and how this fan really was choked when B.C. didn't hang on to him.   Also we talked about the fact that he's a Winnipeg boy and winning both awards and the Cup.   It just so happened that we ended up sitting beside one another on the plane to Kelowna.   He told me that he has met Mike OShea after a game in Winniapeg and that after their discussion about football over a few beers, Mike gave him his email address and they keep in touch.   This is the kind of guy Mike is....not too many coaches around like him!!

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 10:13:22 PM »

Well as some of you noticed my story is about what happened to me at the parade. I standing there  in my gold gear close to the forks market and this free press photographer says I look awesome and said he will try a take a photo while celebrating with the passing Blue Bombers. I am like OK then took down my real and fan name.

I wake up the next morning around 8 and I already had a couple texts from friends telling I was in a large photo on the front page of Wednesdays Free Press sports section shaking OSHs hand.

He?s got that big stogie hanging out of his mouth like Arnold  Schwarzenegger in Predator heading into a war zone. I am getting that Sports page block mounted then I hoping Carol can connect me briefly with Mike to get it signed! That will be my center piece Blue Bomber picture in my rec room.

Plus the full bear hug from Strevy as he was going to the stage all ripped was memorable as well.

The social was a truly festive Blue Bomber experience like no other. Met a few of you and reconnected with many Bomber fans from past lore. GOLD MEMBER got lots of pictures with the cup yesterday as well. Smiley

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 10:54:50 PM »

Ive had really bad health issues over the last few years.

Its really hard to get out to do things .

It was incredible to watch this team fight like mofos to win this.

Cheers

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
theaardvark

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 11:27:21 PM »

Went to GC 68 in Toronto by accident... was minding my business in the Engineering Students Society office at Lakehead U, and was abducted by U or M Engineers on their way to the cup in their beat up old school bus with long range gas tanks lashed to the roof...  turned into one of the most amazing roadtrips ever... don't remember much about the game...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 11:50:41 PM »

Well as some of you noticed my story is about what happened to me at the parade. I standing there  in my gold gear close to the forks market and this free press photographer says I look awesome and said he will try a take a photo while celebrating with the passing Blue Bombers. I am like OK then took down my real and fan name.

I wake up the next morning around 8 and I already had a couple texts from friends telling I was in a large photo on the front page of Wednesdays Free Press sports section shaking OSHs hand.

He?s got that big stogie hanging out of his mouth like Arnold  Schwarzenegger in Predator heading into a war zone. I am getting that Sports page block mounted then I hoping Carol can connect me briefly with Mike to get it signed! That will be my center piece Blue Bomber picture in my rec room.

Plus the full bear hug from Strevy as he was going to the stage all ripped was memorable as well.

The social was a truly festive Blue Bomber experience like no other. Met a few of you and reconnected with many Bomber fans from past lore. GOLD MEMBER got lots of pictures with the cup yesterday as well. Smiley
Wow!  That truly is an awesome story!!   A lifetime memory for sure!  Is there any way you could post the pic on this site?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:23:06 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

blue_or_die

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 03:13:08 PM »

In my rec room, surrounded by friends and family, Collaros took that knee and I popped the cork on a bottle of champagne. Just sheer joy in a group of 3 generations that ranged in age from 2 to 60. Will never forget.

Now, to experience a Bomber win in person...
Pigskin

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »

For me it was attending the Grey Cup with my brothers, our sons, and grandson's. My grandson's spending 15-20 chatting with AH33 and getting there bobbleheads signed. The big win and the celebration around it.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 06:19:52 PM »

Wow!  That truly is an awesome story!!   A lifetime memory for sure!  Is there any way you could post the pic on this site?
I wish I knew how to to. If you PM your email I can forward it to you.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 04:07:54 AM »

GoldMember and Mike O'Shea!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 04:14:59 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 07:26:57 AM »

Obviously the game will stick in my brain forever.  But beyond that, I'll remember all the people.  WPG fans, Stamps fans, Cats fans, Als fans, OTT fans: talked to all the above.  Would have talked to the other teams if I had come across any.  Me & the kid met so many people (like 100+!) and had in-depth conversations with a big chunk of them.  I even talked to many Cats fans the day after the game, and they were all gracious.  Not a single bad apple!

Since it was CGY, the most fans we talked to were Stamps fans.  They were all, without exception, super friendly and chatty, and patient with us Blue&Gold-bearers that seemed to take over their city and stadium.

I've travelled a lot in my life, and I've never experienced such a wonderful, welcoming atmosphere from strangers.  Makes me want to start going to all the GCs with my son...
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »

Obviously the game will stick in my brain forever.  But beyond that, I'll remember all the people.  WPG fans, Stamps fans, Cats fans, Als fans, OTT fans: talked to all the above.  Would have talked to the other teams if I had come across any.  Me & the kid met so many people (like 100+!) and had in-depth conversations with a big chunk of them.  I even talked to many Cats fans the day after the game, and they were all gracious.  Not a single bad apple!

Since it was CGY, the most fans we talked to were Stamps fans.  They were all, without exception, super friendly and chatty, and patient with us Blue&Gold-bearers that seemed to take over their city and stadium.

I've travelled a lot in my life, and I've never experienced such a wonderful, welcoming atmosphere from strangers.  Makes me want to start going to all the GCs with my son...

I had a similar experience albeit I only spent two nights in Calgary.    Having lived in AB for 21 years, my experiences with Calgary were infrequent yet always pleasant.  The city hosted the Olympics in the 80s and always had a great reputation for hosting sporting events.   My hotel, just across from the stadium was full of Rider fans who were mostly respectful and rooting for us.   It was a phenomenal weekend and one that I will cherish for the rest of my life!

wpg#1

My comfy chair. Signed by Milt !

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2019, 02:28:27 PM »

Running up and down my street with my Grey Cup sign and flag, yelling ?. WE ARE THE GREY CUP CHAMPIONS !!!

Oh what fun !!

GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: