Blue Bombers Forum
December 19, 2018, 01:34:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Free Agents signing with the AAF?  (Read 5698 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2018, 05:10:36 AM »

streaming is the way to go, in my opinion... as much as I thought that I would hate it, so not the case... adds a lot of flexibility for viewing both in 'how' and 'when'...  I can watch on my phone, laptop, tablet... any where, anytime I choose... plus, you're not held hostage to what ever game your network chooses to air, you can watch them all... or, I was in Houston, TX  one weekend to watch the Houston Cougars play ball and it didn't even cross my mind that they wouldn't have the SEC network down there and I'd miss the Missouri game... but no, had my tablet and was able to watch it...

my 'smart' tv has a web browser and I can stream directly on it as well... streaming will do to cable what cell phones did to land line telephones in the not too distant future, put the majority of them out of business... this is why AT&T transitioned to cellular technology and bought Directv... now you can take your directv everywhere you go and watch it for free, no data, as much as you want, where ever you are, anytime you want... I have that, plus the ESPN stuff, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, lol...

plus, with the AAF app, you can watch the game(s) while being to directly access friends via a messaging ability within the app while seeing how it effects you fantasy players, or so they say... again, they are attempting to make it about the fan experience

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2018, 03:36:17 PM »

streaming is the way to go, in my opinion... as much as I thought that I would hate it, so not the case... adds a lot of flexibility for viewing both in 'how' and 'when'...  I can watch on my phone, laptop, tablet... any where, anytime I choose... plus, you're not held hostage to what ever game your network chooses to air, you can watch them all... or, I was in Houston, TX  one weekend to watch the Houston Cougars play ball and it didn't even cross my mind that they wouldn't have the SEC network down there and I'd miss the Missouri game... but no, had my tablet and was able to watch it...

my 'smart' tv has a web browser and I can stream directly on it as well... streaming will do to cable what cell phones did to land line telephones in the not too distant future, put the majority of them out of business... this is why AT&T transitioned to cellular technology and bought Directv... now you can take your directv everywhere you go and watch it for free, no data, as much as you want, where ever you are, anytime you want... I have that, plus the ESPN stuff, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, lol...

plus, with the AAF app, you can watch the game(s) while being to directly access friends via a messaging ability within the app while seeing how it effects you fantasy players, or so they say... again, they are attempting to make it about the fan experience

I get where you're coming from but not sure you're on the right wave length, "streaming", especially in regard to sports is all about the "real-time" live broadcast, otherwise the final score is already out there and is somewhat difficult to avoid.  Delayed viewing may be okay if you're just trying to catch up and not really focused on the outcome of a specific games but it really spoils the excitement of the event if the final score is known before watching at least imo having experienced both scenarios in the past year a few times.

Most of the existing gambling sites on the Internet that host sports streaming are basically live events without replay capabilities because the only thing gamblers truly care about is the numbers, not the event.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:59:32 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
66 Chevelle

« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »

I get where you're coming from but not sure you're on the right wave length, "streaming", especially in regard to sports is all about the "real-time" live broadcast, otherwise the final score is already out there and is somewhat difficult to avoid.  Delayed viewing may be okay if you're just trying to catch up and not really focused on the outcome of a specific games but it really spoils the excitement of the event if the final score is known before watching at least imo having experienced both scenarios in the past year a few times.

Most of the existing gambling sites on the Internet that host sports streaming are basically live events without replay capabilities because the only thing gamblers truly care about is the numbers, not the event.

no, I'm with you on that as well, I don't care to watch a game that I already know the outcome of. But like in the fall here, I can go to our high school football on a Friday night and come home afterwards and then watch the Bombers, and trust me, it's not hard to avoid the CFL scores here, lol. The night my grandson was born I was out in the waiting room waiting the Bombers game live. Sure was glad I had the ability to do so there at the hospital, waiting gets tiring, lol.

the big thing to me, is that I can watch out of market games, or games that are just not televised.  I've become pretty adept at avoiding game scores, if I choose. And not to mention, there are times I have a NCAA, NFL, and or a CFL that have the same start times...

blue newt

« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2018, 11:49:31 PM »

no, I'm with you on that as well, I don't care to watch a game that I already know the outcome of. But like in the fall here, I can go to our high school football on a Friday night and come home afterwards and then watch the Bombers, and trust me, it's not hard to avoid the CFL scores here, lol. The night my grandson was born I was out in the waiting room waiting the Bombers game live. Sure was glad I had the ability to do so there at the hospital, waiting gets tiring, lol.

the big thing to me, is that I can watch out of market games, or games that are just not televised.  I've become pretty adept at avoiding game scores, if I choose. And not to mention, there are times I have a NCAA, NFL, and or a CFL that have the same start times...

Agree.  I often work during Bomber games and don't always have the luxury of watching them as-it-happens.  I just make a point not to check social media (because I follow the Bomber team page and they always announce the score) until after I watch the game.  The fact that TSN's website has a video-on-demand function for watching games after the fact has been great!  And if I don't check my social media for a whole evening or day until I can watch the game....well, that's probably better for me anyway.  I check those pages way too often as it is!  Cheesy
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »

Agree.  I often work during Bomber games and don't always have the luxury of watching them as-it-happens.  I just make a point not to check social media (because I follow the Bomber team page and they always announce the score) until after I watch the game.  The fact that TSN's website has a video-on-demand function for watching games after the fact has been great!  And if I don't check my social media for a whole evening or day until I can watch the game....well, that's probably better for me anyway.  I check those pages way too often as it is!  Cheesy

It remains to be seen whether TSN can gain a market share of the streaming viewers and convince their advertisers that this is the case.  Many "cord cutters" who watch sports in this way are adverse to paying for the privilege and will continue to watch live streams for free wherever they can find them, many of which are readily available on gaming sites.
TBURGESS

« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2018, 03:19:10 PM »

I don't mind paying for streaming, but I won't pay TSN ever again. They double charged me for my first month. I sent 2 emails and made 4 phone calls. The said they'll reverse the second charge, but they still haven't so I cancelled my subscription.

$26 a month is too much anyway. VMedia charges $16 for the first 6 months (It goes up to $30 after that) for all the regular Canada and US stations including TSN and it's 100% legal. I can stream 1000+ stations with catch-up for $10-15 a month and that includes TSN HD, if I want to go with a good IPTV provider. I can get it for free on Mobdro and others, if I don't mind the poor quality and the extra ads.

Being right never gets old.
blue newt

« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2018, 07:02:55 PM »

It remains to be seen whether TSN can gain a market share of the streaming viewers and convince their advertisers that this is the case.  Many "cord cutters" who watch sports in this way are adverse to paying for the privilege and will continue to watch live streams for free wherever they can find them, many of which are readily available on gaming sites.

I agree that this is a problem.  I think the main problem is in the pricing schemes that cable tv and individual channels go with.  They have zero flexibility and don't seem to be designed with the consumer in mind at all.  I do know people who stream through free sites, and often it's people who are more casual sports fans.  Neither the cable packages, nor TSNGo is priced for the occasional viewer.  They are priced for the avid sports fan (where I am, for TSN on cable, you first need to purchase the basic package THEN the sports package, and it becomes quite pricey in the end, hence why I don't do cable).  The casual sports fan wanting to watch a football game on a rainy afternoon isn't going to want to shell out $25 for TSNGo or more for cable.  If they had an legal, inexpensive, single game pricing scheme for streaming (2-4$ a game), I think a lot of those people would opt to go that route over illegal but free.

As an aside, I stream the games legally through TSN.  The CFL relies on the money it gets from that partnership, and that partnership only exists if TSN sees a value in it.  If everyone were to stream for free, the CFL would suffer for it in the end.  That being said, I agree that TSNGo needs to review their pricing.  Should be the same cost as adding those channels to a cable package, not several times more.  Isn't removing the middle man supposed to make things cheaper  Huh

66 Chevelle

« Reply #172 on: December 10, 2018, 12:40:30 AM »

ESPN had me over a barrel so I finally had to pay for their ESPN+ streaming service, which is only $5 per month, but they made me mad. Last year you had to stream the games but you could stream them free on ESPN3, no big deal. Well this year the move the CFL over to their pay platform. I already pay for ESPN programming through Directv so, I had to pony up more money. They are now providing me with some new and exciting coverage on my Directv account, such as, Spikeball and Thursday night they had college cornhole championship...

If you haven't seen Spikeball you're in for a real treat... it looks like a game my brother and I would have made up when we were 10 out in the back yard... and cornhole? seriously? so not a sport and the name alone should have it banned from public television...

they can shuffle off good programming, programming that is actually something a sports fan would like to watch onto their new pay platform and give me spikeball and cornhole on their product I can't drop... but what can you do?

3rdand1.5

« Reply #173 on: December 10, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »

This is why I am so curious to see how the AAFL streaming will do. TV contracts make up such a large amount of pro-sports profits, but more and more of the end consumers are getting fed-up with the way "big cable" is "cornhole-ing" them. I have spoken with many "younger" guys and gals and they have absolutily zero interest in cable TV. IF they want to watch sports they stream it (pretty well exclusively for free) or they don't watch it.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2018, 03:37:37 PM »

This is why I am so curious to see how the AAFL streaming will do. TV contracts make up such a large amount of pro-sports profits, but more and more of the end consumers are getting fed-up with the way "big cable" is "cornhole-ing" them. I have spoken with many "younger" guys and gals and they have absolutily zero interest in cable TV. IF they want to watch sports they stream it (pretty well exclusively for free) or they don't watch it.

Hard to say what percentage of the demographic that is, but currently it not the majority the CFL is trying to attract and won't be for at least a few more years.  Is it the future or just representative of a fringe group of viewers?  Maybe....many of these "kids" grow up and the majority of them tend to "buy in" to societal norms eventually just because it is easier and more convenient to do so. 

The other angle to consider is what common steps will corporations take to protect their content from being used, shared or viewed for free?  In the early days of the Internet sharing software and music with others was almost the norm, now days it's probably still possible but not all that convenient or legal to do so.  Just throwing the term "illegal activity" at people in our society tends to make the majority jump into line pretty quickly, even if the laws have no teeth with which to bite.
TBURGESS

« Reply #175 on: December 10, 2018, 03:55:49 PM »

It's not just kids. I'm 60+. I cut the cord and moved away from the big internet providers like Shaw and Telus to get better speeds for less money. I'm paying about a third of what I used to pay and am getting faster internet with no caps. Local TV is over the air and it's great quality. 100% free. 100% legal.

Free streaming is a grey area. Corporations 'go after' companies who share content, not the individual users, but it's like playing 'Whack a mole'. Knock one company off line and two more pop up again. The biggest problems from an end user standpoint is the quality of the free streams, the fact that they aren't up 100% of the time and that you constantly have to look for a new source. When you really want to see something, it's better to pay for the HD stream.

Being right never gets old.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #176 on: December 10, 2018, 04:22:30 PM »

It's not just kids. I'm 60+. I cut the cord and moved away from the big internet providers like Shaw and Telus to get better speeds for less money. I'm paying about a third of what I used to pay and am getting faster internet with no caps. Local TV is over the air and it's great quality. 100% free. 100% legal.

Free streaming is a grey area. Corporations 'go after' companies who share content, not the individual users, but it's like playing 'Whack a mole'. Knock one company off line and two more pop up again. The biggest problems from an end user standpoint is the quality of the free streams, the fact that they aren't up 100% of the time and that you constantly have to look for a new source. When you really want to see something, it's better to pay for the HD stream.

Agree 100%, I want guaranteed access to CFL games and the option of watching them whenever I can, and I don't mind paying for it.  A complaint I have about YareTV is that they leave the commercials in even on the replays of games which is so annoying, anyone know if it is the same for TSN Go Video on Demand?
Norm W

« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2018, 04:37:04 PM »

Thursday night they had college cornhole championship...

Okay I confess I just had to google that.... why on earth would they use cornhole as the name of this event?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjEslIngqig

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
the paw

« Reply #178 on: December 10, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »

Okay I confess I just had to google that.... why on earth would they use cornhole as the name of this event?

they are throwing a bag of corn through a hole......

Regards,

Capt Obvious. 

grab grass 'n growl
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #179 on: December 10, 2018, 05:14:07 PM »

That is some backwardsassed ****!  Who thought "we should televise this, people will watch!!!"
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: