Blue Bombers Forum
December 19, 2018, 01:32:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Free Agents signing with the AAF?  (Read 5691 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2018, 03:55:04 AM »

Sounds to me like he has 'the bird in hand'... here are a couple of snipets from some online articles I found...

"The Alliance of American Football is backed by investors including Peter Thiel?s Founders Fund, Slow Ventures, Peter Chernin?s Chernin Group, Adrian Fenty and Charles King?s M Ventures, Keith Rabois, and former NFL all-pro Jared Allen. The AAF is not disclosing how much funding it has raised, but ?we are confident we have the right team and long-term financial resources in place to ensure fans will experience high-quality professional football for many seasons to come,? Ebersol said in a statement."

and...

"The AAF carries a roster of high-profile investors including The Chernin Group and Founders Fund, which was an early investor in Facebook, Space-X and Lyft. M Ventures, entrepreneur Keith Rabois and former NFLer Jared Allen also are investing in the league. Charlie Ebersol would not say how much he raised or how much the league needs to succeed. ?Getting a lot of money was obviously important, but getting the right money was even more important,? Ebersol said. ?All of these previous attempts have been based on the idea of a one- or two-year business model. I went out and said, ?Look, I need money for seven-to-10 years.? They were the type of people that jumped on board.? The AAF already has a deal in place with CBS Sports, which has committed to show the league?s first game in primetime on its broadcast network on Feb. 9. That is the week following Super Bowl LII, which will be produced by CBS. The broadcast network also has committed to show the league?s first championship game in primetime the weekend of April 26-28. CBS Sports Network will carry a weekly regular-season game. All games will be live streamed for free via the league?s app, which will allow for an in-game fantasy component."

a short one...

""I think where businesses like this fail is that they expect to have ludicrous and unrealistic ticket and media deal projections in year one," Ebersol added. "Our investors here understand that it's a seven-to-ten-year plan."

Those investors, which make the AAF different to the solely McMahon-funded XFL, include former Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen, Peter Thiel's Founders Fund and The Chernin Group which, among other investments, owns a significant share of Barstool Sports."

and lastly...

"Many of the other leagues have either been underfunded or undermanned in terms of real professional people to run it,? said Polian, whose Alliance partnership was formed with Charlie Ebersol after the film/television producer (and son of TV legend Dick Ebersol) asked for advice in 2017 about a spring football revival. "In this case, we think we have both (covered). We have the funding and we?ve got the people. Our investors are in it for the long run."

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
bigbuff33

« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2018, 11:45:05 AM »

CBS showing the first game in prime time...
GCn18

« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »

Sounds to me like he has 'the bird in hand'... here are a couple of snipets from some online articles I found...

"The Alliance of American Football is backed by investors including Peter Thiel?s Founders Fund, Slow Ventures, Peter Chernin?s Chernin Group, Adrian Fenty and Charles King?s M Ventures, Keith Rabois, and former NFL all-pro Jared Allen. The AAF is not disclosing how much funding it has raised, but ?we are confident we have the right team and long-term financial resources in place to ensure fans will experience high-quality professional football for many seasons to come,? Ebersol said in a statement."

and...

"The AAF carries a roster of high-profile investors including The Chernin Group and Founders Fund, which was an early investor in Facebook, Space-X and Lyft. M Ventures, entrepreneur Keith Rabois and former NFLer Jared Allen also are investing in the league. Charlie Ebersol would not say how much he raised or how much the league needs to succeed. ?Getting a lot of money was obviously important, but getting the right money was even more important,? Ebersol said. ?All of these previous attempts have been based on the idea of a one- or two-year business model. I went out and said, ?Look, I need money for seven-to-10 years.? They were the type of people that jumped on board.? The AAF already has a deal in place with CBS Sports, which has committed to show the league?s first game in primetime on its broadcast network on Feb. 9. That is the week following Super Bowl LII, which will be produced by CBS. The broadcast network also has committed to show the league?s first championship game in primetime the weekend of April 26-28. CBS Sports Network will carry a weekly regular-season game. All games will be live streamed for free via the league?s app, which will allow for an in-game fantasy component."

a short one...

""I think where businesses like this fail is that they expect to have ludicrous and unrealistic ticket and media deal projections in year one," Ebersol added. "Our investors here understand that it's a seven-to-ten-year plan."

Those investors, which make the AAF different to the solely McMahon-funded XFL, include former Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen, Peter Thiel's Founders Fund and The Chernin Group which, among other investments, owns a significant share of Barstool Sports."

and lastly...

"Many of the other leagues have either been underfunded or undermanned in terms of real professional people to run it,? said Polian, whose Alliance partnership was formed with Charlie Ebersol after the film/television producer (and son of TV legend Dick Ebersol) asked for advice in 2017 about a spring football revival. "In this case, we think we have both (covered). We have the funding and we?ve got the people. Our investors are in it for the long run."

I am sure the investors will stay as long as the league is break even or near break even. We shall see their commitment level when the league hemorrhages money in the first couple of years. I have seen a LOT of these start up leagues come and go, and in every single one of them the founder of the league declared that he had solid, long term investors to weather the storm for a few years. Not a single one of those investors were as committed as the man who had the pipe dream.

I'm not saying that it may not be different this time. It could be. I am just very skeptical due to what history has taught us about new leagues, with no revenues, and supposed long term investment.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_or_die

« Reply #153 on: December 07, 2018, 01:17:04 PM »

Look out Storage Wars and My 600 lb Life!
3rdand1.5

« Reply #154 on: December 07, 2018, 03:20:30 PM »

The live streaming is an excellent idea IMO. Why worry about a large tv package IF you can get good streaming numbers. IF you do get good streaming numbers you can essentially eliminate the middle man "cable" and have advertising and sponsors directly work with you, while still providing a "free" way for fans to watch the game and to exponentially increase your stream numbers and potential revenue. IMHO that is a win, win, win.
blue_or_die

« Reply #155 on: December 07, 2018, 03:24:52 PM »

The live streaming is an excellent idea IMO. Why worry about a large tv package IF you can get good streaming numbers. IF you do get good streaming numbers you can essentially eliminate the middle man "cable" and have advertising and sponsors directly work with you, while still providing a "free" way for fans to watch the game and to exponentially increase your stream numbers and potential revenue. IMHO that is a win, win, win.

That's a super good point. I think/hope that traditional cable moves that direction within the next 5 years anyway, with sports being a leader.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2018, 04:20:33 PM »

Counterpoint, relying on streaming limits them to "intentional" viewers and eliminates "accidental" viewers who may stumble upon the  broadcast while channel surfing and who may continue watching but did not intentionally seek it out.  This segment constitutes a large part of the viewing audience and sponsors are well aware of this fact.  For example when the G.C. aired in the US, a large segment of the American viewers that watched a measurable portion of the broadcast would not have been aware that the game was a scheduled broadcast beforehand and would have continued to watch more out of curiosity than a direct interest in the game.
GCn18

« Reply #157 on: December 07, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »

Streaming of sporting events is a great idea. However, it is not one that generates nearly the advertising dollars of mainstream TV yet. We shall see how it evolves I guess. The problem with streaming is that it eliminates a large portion of traditional viewership. Cord cutters are still a minority.

theaardvark

« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2018, 05:26:05 PM »

Ebersol effect

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn18

« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2018, 06:39:22 PM »

Ebersol effect

Thank you captain obvious.

theaardvark

« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2018, 07:02:02 PM »

Thank you captain obvious.

No problem...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #161 on: December 07, 2018, 09:44:33 PM »

Streaming of sporting events is a great idea. However, it is not one that generates nearly the advertising dollars of mainstream TV yet. We shall see how it evolves I guess. The problem with streaming is that it eliminates a large portion of traditional viewership. Cord cutters are still a minority.

Today....But look at how much money some bloggers and Youtubers are making. A 7 yr old boy made over $20 million last year opening toys in videos. Advertising is evolving outside "mainstream" thinking at a very fast rate.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2018, 09:50:05 PM »

Counterpoint, relying on streaming limits them to "intentional" viewers and eliminates "accidental" viewers who may stumble upon the  broadcast while channel surfing and who may continue watching but did not intentionally seek it out.  This segment constitutes a large part of the viewing audience and sponsors are well aware of this fact.  For example when the G.C. aired in the US, a large segment of the American viewers that watched a measurable portion of the broadcast would not have been aware that the game was a scheduled broadcast beforehand and would have continued to watch more out of curiosity than a direct interest in the game.

Also a true statement today....but how many people may stumble across streams or reposts of streams.
blue newt

« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2018, 11:59:18 PM »

Today....But look at how much money some bloggers and Youtubers are making. A 7 yr old boy made over $20 million last year opening toys in videos. Advertising is evolving outside "mainstream" thinking at a very fast rate.

A lot depends on the age demographic they are targeting.  I can't imagine my parents ever stumbling across a live stream, because they'd be sitting down to watch traditional television.  But very few of my friends have cable boxes (I can think of one plus my boss probably has one).  As a result, the idea of people flicking channels through a particular broadcast and discovering a show is going the way of the dodo.  I'm not young or a millennial, but even I only flick channels randomly if I'm visiting my parents.  Instead, it's more word-of-mouth (or, the flicking channel equivalent...browsing Netflix). 

So, I agree.  "Mainstream" is evolving at a very quick rate.  And while someone earlier pointed out that football is not a young demographic sport, maybe that's because football hasn't evolved enough with the times.  These new leagues would be very foolish to go after the older NFL audience, because they are settled in their ways, but would be wise to target a younger demographic that doesn't identify with the current pro sports model.  The fact that they are issuing bonuses based on social media tells me that they understand this.
Dodge and Burn

« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2018, 01:18:41 AM »

Putting the quality of players coming here aside. I think the cfl's bigger problem is parity, or the illusion of it as of recent years.

Its getting a little tiring seeing Calgary and random East team in the cup.

Having 30 plus free agents every second year accross the board does nothing to build fan-player relationships either.

This upcoming CBA is really important on many levels.

It's not the violin, it's the violinist
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: