Blue Bombers Forum
December 19, 2018, 01:34:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Free Agents signing with the AAF?  (Read 5697 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2018, 08:48:55 PM »

Also factor in the XFL just announced they start operations in 2020 with eight cities.

XFL.com

I'm more certain the XFL will be a big failure. The brand has no credibility. I wonder how much market research they've done? My gut tells me they would have been better starting from scratch. The name XFL roughly equals one big joke and it will take a heck of a lot of time, effort and money to move those opinions.
GCn18

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »

I'm more certain the XFL will be a big failure. The brand has no credibility. I wonder how much market research they've done? My gut tells me they would have been better starting from scratch. The name XFL roughly equals one big joke and it will take a heck of a lot of time, effort and money to move those opinions.

XFL base salary is pretty poor. Can't see a ton of really good players going there. They will get guys, just like Arena Football gets guys, but it will be a poor league.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue girl

« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2018, 10:40:48 PM »

I agree with you. After seeing the cities that they're going into other than St. Louis they all have NFL teams. They will be nothing but a second rate league.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2018, 10:52:22 PM »

I think both leagues  will do good. AAF for sure. A lot of people are turned off on the NFL.  They will add excitement to the game . Watching NASCar isn't going to turn people off watching football. CFL will lose main supply of players to compete up here. We may sign the ones we have but it being 4 down football, the timing is right in the season. Might hurt NHL viewership in the states.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2018, 12:02:45 AM »

or fishing...or spending time outdoors in the spring...or many, many other pursuits that spring brings.

I can't say what you guys do up there in Feb. and March, but us boys down here those are not fishing months, lol... the first day of spring is supposed to be what? March 21? Still can have a lot of cool/cold weather here until and thru mid April here, my birthday is 4/19 and we've had snow on the ground on my birthday in the past...

If they are smart, they make their streaming app like ESPN did, because you don't have to watch the games live. ESPN allow you to replay the game on their app/site as soon as it's complete. That really makes it easy to follow as you can do it on your own schedule... I like it anyway...

But for the record, I'm not saying this venture will work, or last more than a year, just giving you all my opinion from my perspective...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn18

« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2018, 01:08:54 AM »

I can't say what you guys do up there in Feb. and March, but us boys down here those are not fishing months, lol... the first day of spring is supposed to be what? March 21? Still can have a lot of cool/cold weather here until and thru mid April here, my birthday is 4/19 and we've had snow on the ground on my birthday in the past...

If they are smart, they make their streaming app like ESPN did, because you don't have to watch the games live. ESPN allow you to replay the game on their app/site as soon as it's complete. That really makes it easy to follow as you can do it on your own schedule... I like it anyway...

But for the record, I'm not saying this venture will work, or last more than a year, just giving you all my opinion from my perspective...

February and March not fishing months? Man you Yankees are soft. lol

buckzumhoff

« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »

Its illegal to fish til April 30 I think. So. Unelss there is still ice the lake.
GCn18

« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2018, 01:43:51 PM »

Its illegal to fish til April 30 I think. So. Unelss there is still ice the lake.

You can fish until April 15th I believe and then it closes until middle of May.....and yes...it's definitely ice fishing. 66 might not know what that is...lol.

bigbuff33

« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »

That's a lot of football players getting paid in American dollars!!!
When the AAF offers housing and health insurance on top of the contract and the freedom to leave if NFL is interested...I'd suggest it's time to be concerned
Jesse

« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2018, 05:21:13 PM »

That's a lot of football players getting paid in American dollars!!!
When the AAF offers housing and health insurance on top of the contract and the freedom to leave if NFL is interested...I'd suggest it's time to be concerned

Saying they're going to and actually paying for all of it are two different things.

My wife is amazing!
VictorRomano

« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2018, 05:53:43 PM »

Saying they're going to and actually paying for all of it are two different things.

With regards to the XFL, Vince McMahon put over $100mil of his own money up to bankroll this.  I saw part of an interview (ESPN, IIRC?) where he stated that the XFL (and it's parent company Alpha Entertainment, which is wholly owned by McMahon with no outside investors) has enough cash available and banked to float the league for 5 seasons even if they make zero profit from Day 1.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2018, 06:10:46 PM »

With regards to the XFL, Vince McMahon put over $100mil of his own money up to bankroll this.  I saw part of an interview (ESPN, IIRC?) where he stated that the XFL (and it's parent company Alpha Entertainment, which is wholly owned by McMahon with no outside investors) has enough cash available and banked to float the league for 5 seasons even if they make zero profit from Day 1.

Sure, the question is: will they? The answer is only if they see the opportunity for return on investment.
GCn18

« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »

Exactly. Good intentions don't pay the bills. There were dozens of players whose cheques were bouncing and they kept playing on the promise the money was coming, in the WLAF and UFL. All of them had nice contracts in American dollars too. Unfortunately for them, bankruptcy meant they never saw a dime of the money owed to them. Herschel Walker is still owed 2 million dollars for his playing time in the USFL...money that he will never see. So while it may sound great, unless this league can survive none of the benefits or contracts they have signed mean anything until the cheque clears.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:07:21 PM by GCn18 » Logged

GCn18

« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »

Vince McMahon likely does keep the league going if it's breaking even. The question is does he keep it going if it's losing money. I highly doubt it.

theaardvark

« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2018, 07:24:37 PM »

Never knew their long term plan was a buyout to function as a minor league feeder and development league like the AHL--->NHL. This is workable in the NHL because attendance averages around 5000-6000 and the salaries are related to around 23 players. Double that for football and I would seriously think their attendance figures would cripple such a league. Given this long-term plan I think many players thinking about this have to reconsider its viability or lack of same. They might wait until this long-term plan can actually come to fruition if it has any hope of viability.

40 home games vs. 5... that means 8x the aversge attendance so 50k.  And many AHL salaries are paid by NHL clubs...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: