Blue Bombers Forum
August 19, 2019, 01:44:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Free Agents signing with the AAF?  (Read 20924 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 07:08:30 PM »

It sounds like a league for players out of college who can't make the NFL. The coaches definitely give it some credibility but I wonder if it will be enough to attract fans.

It will attract fans.  The question is, will it attract enough for a national TV contract, or just regional.  Will the have enough gate to sustain the teams, or will they have a token attendance. 

Heck, the Legends Football League has fans and a Fuse TV deal.  None of the players are getting paid $80k/year, I don't think the coaches are either... but they have fans and a TV deal...  it is an April - Sept league... so its just starting as teh AAF ends...

Photo for emphasis...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn18

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2018, 07:39:07 PM »

It will come down to marketing, having a "hook", and making a game day experience that will get the fans out.

The CFL was a gate oriented league, and the TSN deal changed that somewhat.  I don't think the AAF will be as much gate oriented, but the teams will definitely need gate money if they want black ink.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have a set up the league to break even on TV revenues alone... and let gate cover the stadium costs and profit. 

They can hope to set up the league to break even on TV revenues alone but they can't do it until they get people watching. CBS is not going to pay money out to float an entire league unless it brings big ratings which in turn brings the sponsorship. The only reason TSN pays the CFL as much as it does is because people in Canada watch it right across the nation. Ebersol will be picking up his chiclets after the board of directors beats him down if his contributions to this league exceed the revenue of the broadcasts. If Ebersol can't get enough people to tune in the TV deal will be dead in the water, just like when Ebersol yanked the rug from under the XFL for low ratings. Americans will not tune in to watch bad football played by NFL rejects. If the football quality is good they may have a shot but Americans will lead the bandwagon away from this league the first time a game turns out to be a stinker and the probability of it being very bad football in the beginning is very, very high. It would take a miracle for even the great coaches they have hired to build a roster from scratch and get them all running like a well oiled machine in their first few games.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:45:37 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue girl

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »

It will attract fans.  The question is, will it attract enough for a national TV contract, or just regional.  Will the have enough gate to sustain the teams, or will they have a token attendance. 

Heck, the Legends Football League has fans and a Fuse TV deal.  None of the players are getting paid $80k/year, I don't think the coaches are either... but they have fans and a TV deal...  it is an April - Sept league... so its just starting as teh AAF ends...

Photo for emphasis...

Judging by that picture I'm not sure that the fans are tuning in for the football.  Wink
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:42:49 PM by blue girl » Logged
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2018, 07:44:31 PM »

From day one, the Ebersol/Polian connection has been marketed.  Once the teams were announced, it was the coaches that were front and centre.  Throwing out names like Singeltary, Childress, Spurier, Riley... that immediately sparked a "hey, maybe this will be legit".  

It is certainly not based on players at all... we know Mark Chapman signed in the AAF... any actually notable names that the general public in the US would know?

Put it to you this way, the players playing in the AAF will be more familiar to their audiences at the start of the season than rookie imports in the CFL and most rookie national players too. The vast majority of new CFL players are completely unheard of to CFL fans. Even funnier, many come with substantial school records and extremely prominent college careers. You'll often hear of guys signed who's the leading X at school Y and it gets a big ol' shrug from the average CFL fan. For example, we all know about Darvin Adams' time in the CFL, but very few CFL fans could honestly say they knew he played for Auburn, caught passes from Cam Newton, was the Outback Bowl MVP in 2010, a SEC Champion and a BCS National Champion.

In the AAF, you'll have a guy like Aaron Murray. Who's Aaron Murray? You have no idea. Most people in Georgia could tell you he's the quarterback who holds the SEC record for most passing touchdowns and passing yards, ahead of guys like Payton Manning and Matt Stafford.
GCn18

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2018, 07:47:39 PM »

Put it to you this way, the players playing in the AAF will be more familiar to their audiences at the start of the season than rookie imports in the CFL and most rookie national players too. The vast majority of new CFL players are completely unheard of to CFL fans. Even funnier, many come with substantial school records and extremely prominent college careers. You'll often hear of guys signed who's the leading X at school Y and it gets a big ol' shrug from the average CFL fan. For example, we all know about Darvin Adams' time in the CFL, but very few CFL fans could honestly say they knew he played for Auburn, caught passes from Cam Newton, was the Outback Bowl MVP in 2010, a SEC Champion and a BCS National Champion.

In the AAF, you'll have a guy like Aaron Murray. Who's Aaron Murray? You have no idea. Most people in Georgia could tell you he's the quarterback who holds the SEC record for most passing touchdowns and passing yards, ahead of guys like Payton Manning and Matt Stafford.

That's great...but when he throws 5 interceptions in his first game because he isn't on the same page as his receiving corps yet his fans will call him a bum who has lost it since college....and the snowball effect will begin.
Every year we get players we have never heard of but have a core group that we have learned to love. A league starting from scratch has none of that goodwill with their fan base to fall back on. The fans will judge the new league solely on the quality of their play. It better be good. What quality should they expect? Probably something similar to the 2018 Argos and Alouettes playing a preseason game. Think the American viewing audience will stick around for that?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:53:17 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2018, 08:03:34 PM »

That's great...but when he throws 5 interceptions in his first game because he isn't on the same page as his receiving corps yet his fans will call him a bum who has lost it since college....and the snowball effect will begin.
Every year we get players we have never heard of but have a core group that we have learned to love. A league starting from scratch has none of that goodwill with their fan base to fall back on.

I'm not saying it's going to be a runaway success. I'm saying that it's set up just about as smartly as you could set-up a new league. The fans will know of many of the players, and they will be recognizable. Coaching is solid. Obviously starting a new league is very difficult, but in spite of the slam-jam echo chamber in this thread, they have obviously learned from the mistakes of the past and they're doing their best to correct them. An integrated fantasy experience and the players receiving a cut from betting revenue is innovative and probably pretty effective. They'll be self-promoting like their cheque depends on it, because it does. This at a time when the CFL is looking for innovative pathways to grow its presence too. It might still fail, but it's not guaranteed like many here seem to think. The hardest part will be getting people to invest emotionally and care about the Orlando Apollos or Salt Lake Stallions. It might be a bit of an uphill climb, but new brands are born all the time. If they have money to market half as good as the NFL, it probably works great.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:05:06 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
Norm W

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2018, 08:15:21 PM »

Guess Chevelle will never return now.

Chevelle was L'Damian Washington...  Shocked Think about that until TC!

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2018, 09:13:35 PM »

Chevelle was L'Damian Washington...  Shocked Think about that until TC!

Whuuuutt???  You got to be joking?
kkc60

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 03:49:23 AM »

From day one, the Ebersol/Polian connection has been marketed.  Once the teams were announced, it was the coaches that were front and centre.  Throwing out names like Singeltary, Childress, Spurier, Riley... that immediately sparked a "hey, maybe this will be legit".  

It is certainly not based on players at all... we know Mark Chapman signed in the AAF... any actually notable names that the general public in the US would know?
Oh yeah. Aaron Murray, Denard Robinson, Bishop Sankey, Trent Richardson, Nick Folk, Christian Hackenberg, BJ Daniels, Scott Tolzien are all guys who at some point either were widely talked about college or NFL players for good or bad. And that's just what I know. I'm sure there are plenty of other players that Americans would know from college football that I am unfamiliar with.
blue newt

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 05:59:03 AM »

Not sure what the correlation is between Legends and AAF  Huh  Last I remember hearing, those ladies don't make a penny, they play because they want to play football and that's what's available to them.  The league doesn't need to worry too much about the size of their crowds or TV audience because the budget is pretty close to zero.  They play in hockey helmets, for gosh sake!  Pretty sure if the AAF was the male version of that, we'd be losing 0% of players to it.  The AAF is going to need significantly larger appeal than that to balance its budget.

I think the AAF will have regional appeal in the cities that have a team.  As many mentioned, having the local college football players that the crowd is already familiar with there is a smart approach.  Can't see it picking up too much traction elsewhere, though.  I suspect it may be a moderately successful regional league.  There's so much football already in the US, that I find it hard to believe that there's space for another league on a grand scale.
Ridermania

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 02:16:34 PM »

The Alliance of American Football begins its inaugural season in 74 days, and on Tuesday night the league held its first-ever Protect or Pick Quarterback Draft.

Draft rules
Dozens of players have already signed to the league's eight franchises, but quarterbacks are assigned in the draft. Any quarterback already signed to the Alliance is eligible to be selected in the draft, which uses a "Protect or Pick" format. All signed quarterbacks are also allocated to the team located closest to their college or last NFL or CFL team before the draft.

Round 1
San Diego Fleet: Josh Johnson (protected)
Atlanta Legends: Aaron Murray (protected)
Memphis Express: Troy Cook (protected)
San Antonio Commanders: Dustin Vaughan (protected)
Birmingham Iron: Luis Perez
Arizona Hotshots: Trevor Knight
Orlando Apollos: Garrett Gilbert
Salt Lake Stallions: Josh Woodrum

Round 2
San Diego Fleet: Mike Bercovici
Birmingham Iron: Blake Sims
Arizona Hotshots: John Wolford
Orlando Apollos: Stephen Morris
Atlanta Legends: Matt Simms
Salt Lake Stallions: B.J. Daniels
Memphis Express: Christian Hackenberg
San Antonio Commanders: Marquise Williams

Round 3
San Antonio Commanders: Logan Woodside
Memphis Express: Brandon Silvers
Salt Lake Stallions: Austin Allen
Atlanta Legends: Peter Pujals
Orlando Apollos: Austin Appleby
Arizona Hotshots: Quinn McQueary
Birmingham Iron: Scott Tolzien
San Diego Fleet: Philip Nelson

Round 4
San Antonio Commanders: Dalton Sturm
Memphis Express: Zach Mettenberger
Salt Lake Stallions: Matt Linehan
Atlanta Legends: Justin Holman
Orlando Apollos: Kevin Anderson
Arizona Hotshots: Jack Heneghan
Birmingham Iron: Alek Torgersen
San Diego Fleet: Alex Ross

HEAD COACHES

Atlanta Legends: Brad Childress (Michael Vick is the offensive coordinator)
Arizona Hotshots: Rick Neuheisel
Birmingham Iron: Tim Lewis
Memphis Express: Mike Singletary
Orlando Apollos: Steve Spurrier
Salt Lake Stallions: Dennis Erickson
San Antonio Commanders: Mike Riley
San Diego Fleet: Mike Martz

CBS will air the league's debut game on Feb. 9, 2019, one week after Super Bowl LIII on CBS. The network will also carry the Alliance of American Football's championship game on the final weekend of April 2019. One regular-season Alliance game will air exclusively on CBS Sports Network each week as well. You can view the entire AAF schedule here.

The league will have eight teams in Atlanta, Orlando, San Diego, San Antonio, Memphis, Birmingham, Salt Lake City and Phoenix. Each team will have 50 players each and will be built primarily through a regionally based draft. To differentiate the Alliance of American Football from its competitors, there will be no TV timeouts and 60 percent fewer commercials. Other differences will include no kickoffs and instead of onside kicks, the trailing team will receive the ball on their own 35-yard line facing fourth down and 10. There will also be a 30-second play clock and mandatory two-point conversion attempts after touchdowns.
Stretch

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »

The names of a few of those QB's ring a bell, but not enough for me to remember where they played their college ball. Then again, I'm not necessarily part of their target audience.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
Jesse

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 03:05:21 PM »

The names of a few of those QB's ring a bell, but not enough for me to remember where they played their college ball. Then again, I'm not necessarily part of their target audience.

I think this was very positive for those who were worried about this league affecting the CFL.

First of all, I did not hear about this until it was half complete and someone made fun of it on twitter. There is no attention around this at all.

Second, all of these guys have already been through the ringer. They've had their NFL, and in some cases CFL, shots and would not have any other opportunity to play if not for this new league. There is no competition for guys that we are looking at. The QB play as a whole looks like it will be sub par at best.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 03:35:48 PM »

OK, a league of 8 teams with 50 players each, and over 500 players are signed...

I'm not a supergenius, but that doesn't really compute.

How does this reconcile with the 3 year guaranteed deals worth $250k plus benefits?  I guess that's a guarantee once you make the team, and keep your job?  Looks like the teams are going to have the ability to cut and sign players like the NFL or CFL...  so nothing "more secure" about it.  Short season and a eyeball on them from the NFL will be attractive, but I'm starting to wonder about the promises of the contracts that were our major concerns originally.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
gobombersgo

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 03:37:32 PM »

San Diego going with former Bombers Alex Ross and Philip Nelson.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: