Blue Bombers Forum
December 19, 2018, 01:33:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Free Agents signing with the AAF?  (Read 5693 times)
Stretch

« on: November 26, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »

Obviously there is a huge concern about the AAF being a huge drain on talent that would otherwise come to the CFL. However, the AAF starts in early February, right around the same time (if not just before) CFL Free Agency starts. So unless I'm missing something, aside from CFL teams releasing a bunch of their pending FA's early, how many could realistically sign with the new league?

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
GCn18

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »

Obviously there is a huge concern about the AAF being a huge drain on talent that would otherwise come to the CFL. However, the AAF starts in early February, right around the same time (if not just before) CFL Free Agency starts. So unless I'm missing something, aside from CFL teams releasing a bunch of their pending FA's early, how many could realistically sign with the new league?

I don't believe that any deal exists between the AAF and the CFL regarding player movement.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Stretch

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »

I don't believe that any deal exists between the AAF and the CFL regarding player movement.

Fair enough. I guess I'm just wondering if all the concern about losing our existing players (e.g. Santos-Knox) is unwarranted, because in theory he couldn't sign there until about a week into their season.

GCn18

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 03:09:57 PM »

Fair enough. I guess I'm just wondering if all the concern about losing our existing players (e.g. Santos-Knox) is unwarranted, because in theory he couldn't sign there until about a week into their season.

I think he could sign there if he wants. While technically not a FA until February, I don't think there is anything stopping him from signing before that unless he has a contract bonus due pre-January 1st.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »

The timing of the CFL's negotiations with the CFLPA couldn't be worse, if it wasn't for that road block the teams could be busy signing the players they want to re-up.  Instead they're standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting while the players explore all the new options that are opening up.
theaardvark

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »

Pretty sure there is a reciprocal honoring of contracts...  it would get quite ugly if there wasn't. 

Will it be a draw?  Certainly a lot of Int. players would prefer to play in a country closer to home.  And depending on the AAFAL's drug testing policies, if they turn a blind eye to what we just legalized, it might be attractive too.  And there might be a better exposure for those still seeking an NFL sniff. 

The AFALA's benefit package is quite solid, which might get the CFL looking to implement something similar in the CBA negotiations.  I don't think a flat salary structure is in the cards for our league, but offering more benefits might make a difference in competing with that league.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Dodge and Burn

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 06:42:54 PM »

Pretty sure there is a reciprocal honoring of contracts...  it would get quite ugly if there wasn't. 

Will it be a draw?  Certainly a lot of Int. players would prefer to play in a country closer to home.  And depending on the AAFAL's drug testing policies, if they turn a blind eye to what we just legalized, it might be attractive too.  And there might be a better exposure for those still seeking an NFL sniff. 

The AFALA's benefit package is quite solid, which might get the CFL looking to implement something similar in the CBA negotiations.  I don't think a flat salary structure is in the cards for our league, but offering more benefits might make a difference in competing with that league.

Jonathan Heffney would agree to name one

It's not the violin, it's the violinist
blue girl

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »

I believe that you're right. Players aren't free agents until February. Teams do release players early if they have NFL interest but I doubt that they would do this for the AAF.
Tehedra

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 10:06:09 PM »

I believe that you're right. Players aren't free agents until February. Teams do release players early if they have NFL interest but I doubt that they would do this for the AAF.

The difference is that the NFL and CFL have worked out an agreement and it is in the CBA as well, the AAF could give a flying rat's butt about the CFL and so without the agreement in place it would be difficult to enforce the contract and Free Agent policies. 
GCn18

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 11:13:09 PM »

There has been no indication by the AAF and CFL that any such agreement exists.

theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 11:57:24 PM »

There has been no indication by the AAF and CFL that any such agreement exists.

OK, I guess the I meant that there has been no declaration of war between the two, or a challenge from one to the other about suing over in force contracts. 

Neither has said "If we want a player, we're going to sign him, regardless of his non-NFL (which with both have an agreement) deal."

Now, here's something interesting I just read on their site...  they had 515 players under contract as of Oct 1.   That's 64 players a team already signed...  oops... Nov 1 they announced another 32 (and 6 waived)

Memphis (who has dibs on any bomber) already has over a hundred on thier roster... including Alex Ross and Chris Givens, the only names I recognize...

Maybe next year we will see some roster damage, but I think they're pretty much done before FA season starts... unless team grant early releases for AAF deals...
Makes you wonder if we will lose any non fringe players at all...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
fuzzy

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 04:11:59 AM »

Add to the list of AAF signings, 
L?Damian Washington and Trent Richardson Birmingham
Khalil Bass Atlanta
Mark Chapman Salt Lake City (Hamilton draft pick)
Sergio Castillo San Antonio

Mostly players who have run out of NFL and CFL options looking to keep the dream alive. Really happy for L'Damian Washington to get another chance. Great story.

Please ignore all notices until further notice.
bigbuff33

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 12:58:45 PM »

They'e signed 47 quarterbacks...there is a draft today for the QB's...and they have a contract with CBS Sports which will have Kurt Warner hosting the televised draft.
Bill Polian is head hauncho for the league...he's a highly respected football man...
Mike Reiley, Brad Childress, Steve Spurior are a few of the coaches...
If we start losing players like Jovan Santos Knox...that will really affect the quality of football in the CFL
Dave Naylor has said that league GM's are really concerned about finding players.
Being paid in American dollars and closer to home has CFL assistant coaches signing in the AAF...

I'm concerned...to say it's nothing to worry about is to bury your head in the sand.
GCn18

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 01:05:21 PM »

They'e signed 47 quarterbacks...there is a draft today for the QB's...and they have a contract with CBS Sports which will have Kurt Warner hosting the televised draft.
Bill Polian is head hauncho for the league...he's a highly respected football man...
Mike Reiley, Brad Childress, Steve Spurior are a few of the coaches...
If we start losing players like Jovan Santos Knox...that will really affect the quality of football in the CFL
Dave Naylor has said that league GM's are really concerned about finding players.
Being paid in American dollars and closer to home has CFL assistant coaches signing in the AAF...

I'm concerned...to say it's nothing to worry about is to bury your head in the sand.

This league will be defunct within 2 years... book it. Some articles already coming out that some of the league owners are concerned about the lack of ticket sales.

Stretch

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 01:23:25 PM »

This league will be defunct within 2 years... book it. Some articles already coming out that some of the league owners are concerned about the lack of ticket sales.

If it makes it to year two, it will be interesting to see how it does alongside the new XFL (which I presume would be playing around the same time).

I enjoy watching football just as much as anyone but you have to wonder if the appetite is there for these startup leagues, especially right after the Super Bowl. I mean, how many of us would watch and/or buy tickets for a new hockey league that went from late June to early September?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: