Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 01:16:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Aren't The Bombers Winning Grey Cups?  (Read 2232 times)
TBURGESS

« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2018, 01:57:39 PM »

Nichols regressed last year. I thought we were in huge trouble when Nichols went down to injury early, but Streveler hung in there and played better than anyone could have expected him to. I doubt that we'd have won (m)any less games with Streveler as our starting QB than we did with Nichols.

Wins are a team, not a QB stat. That goes for both QB's. The first game loss was mostly on the defense. The last game loss was mostly on the fact we started a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers. The 2 big losses to Regina were mostly on Nichols turnovers.

100K is a big deal. It's the difference between being able to offer 5 players 20K more each, which should result in being able to attract better players in other positions or it could mean a couple of big time FA's like Burhnam and Bighill.

I do focus on how the QB plays in each game. 300 yards does matter. It's one of the ways to tell how well the QB and receivers are playing. Nichols managed 300 yard games in 2017 when he was playing well but only got 1 in 2018 when he wasn't playing that well.

I don't focus as much on low interception numbers as most here do. I'd rather go down swinging and take some chances with 50-50 balls than throwing the ball away every time the QB sees something he doesn't like. I know that means more int's as well as more big plays and more 300 yard games.

Replacing Nichols doesn't mean we'd go back to Willy-esc QB'ing and it doesn't change the rest of the team. Turnovers, Harris, the O line and the defense would still be the main reasons that we win. The differences would be that we'd have some better talent because we could afford it. We'd likely take more risks, have more Int's and more TD's. We'd likely win as much as we do now and we'd be set up for more wins if Streveler progresses.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2018, 02:19:17 PM »

Let?s not sugar coat things or sweep dirt under the carpet here...Ya, it?s a team game, but when we had our losing streak this past season, Nichols absolutely stunk the joint out and literally gave the riders the banjo bowl.

It happened to every QB in some games this season. So suggest otherwise is absurd.  We all agree Nichols had some really really bad games and not a great season.

Did Reilly have a good season or did he even have a good game against us in the 2nd game we played them?

30 - 3 for the Bombers. Reilly 54.8% completion, 164 yards, no TD's 2 ints and a pic 6 IIRC. The Esks finished 5th in the west. Was none of that due to play at the QB position?

How about Harris is the GC with a low completion rate, 1 TD and 3 ints.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 02:36:09 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2018, 02:32:29 PM »

That would be a huge gamble for Walters to take, no logical reason to endanger the entire mother-ship betting on a rookie in order to save an extra $100k.  I predict Nichols will put up another 10+ win season next year, if he does so, how do you justify dumping him?  If he doesn't play well, fine Streveller has his window of opportunity to steal the job.  He had a window in the second half of the Banjo Bowl and almost perfectly duplicated Nichols poor performance. 

NICHOLS, Matt   10/20   50.0%   165   0   3   38
STREVELER, Chris   10/20   50.0%   160   1   2   40

1 td, 2int is not a duplicate of o td 3 int...  not even close...

Unfortunately, its looking like the Hank Burriss situation,m either Smiling Hank or bad Frank shows up,,,  and that's not what you pay top dollar for. 

He had a horrible run of games, literally giving other teams wins.  Then he had a run where he managed games and didn't give it away, but really didn't light it up.

My biggest problem with him is he doesn't take responsibility for his messups.  He has no issues swaggering down the field when he throws a TD, but can't mea culpa when he craps the bed.  When you throw under 50% in a division final and can only find fault with one throw,,,

He needs to step up on both sides, and earn his full contract,   If that means renegotiating an incentive heavy deal, great.  That way, late in the season, if he hasn't been earning his keep, then we will have cap space to get the pieces we may need to overcome whatever hole we've been dug.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2018, 02:41:27 PM »

1 td, 2int is not a duplicate of o td 3 int...  not even close...

Unfortunately, its looking like the Hank Burriss situation,m either Smiling Hank or bad Frank shows up,,,  and that's not what you pay top dollar for. 

He had a horrible run of games, literally giving other teams wins.  Then he had a run where he managed games and didn't give it away, but really didn't light it up.

My biggest problem with him is he doesn't take responsibility for his messups.  He has no issues swaggering down the field when he throws a TD, but can't mea culpa when he craps the bed.  When you throw under 50% in a division final and can only find fault with one throw,,,

He needs to step up on both sides, and earn his full contract,   If that means renegotiating an incentive heavy deal, great.  That way, late in the season, if he hasn't been earning his keep, then we will have cap space to get the pieces we may need to overcome whatever hole we've been dug.

They must be changing the water here in Calgary because I am starting to agree more and more with what Aards is saying. I agree 100% with his comments. My major grievance if you can call it that with MN is that he does not take responsibility for his bad play when it happens. The division final was IMHO the prime example. He IMHO stunk up the joint so to speak and took no responsibility for his play. Not a MN fan these days.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2018, 04:16:26 PM »

They must be changing the water here in Calgary because I am starting to agree more and more with what Aards is saying.

It's Nenshi's budget cuts.  Water treatment only gets done on Tuesdays and Sundays.
blue girl

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2018, 08:54:31 PM »

Here's why right now I would keep Nichols. Right now in the west we are the only team with a starting QB under contract. Jennings has said he's going to pursue free agency and I don't think that BC wants him back anyway. Even if Lulay does return he can't last a whole season. In Calgary BLM is going to test the NFL but if he doesn't get any good offers he will return to Calgary but nothing is guaranteed. Saskatchewan will probably move on from Collaros and Bridge. That leaves Edmonton and Reilly who apparently will take his time deciding what to do probably waiting until after the CBA is finalized. I think that BC and Edmonton will probably get into a bidding war. I still hope that Nichols problems were a one year thing caused by the knee injury. If after training camp and the preseason he still looks bad then we either trade or cut him and take our chances with Streveler.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: