Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 01:17:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Aren't The Bombers Winning Grey Cups?  (Read 2233 times)
blue_or_die

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 01:06:47 PM »

We lost to an extremely good Calgary team in a foul weather game. I think our team was easily capable of bringing home the cup this year but just didn't take advantage of the opportunities and Calgary did. That was a pretty evenly matched game decided by a handful of plays. Could have gone either way really.

GCn19, then, hopefully?
the paw

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »

We lost to an extremely good Calgary team in a foul weather game. I think our team was easily capable of bringing home the cup this year but just didn't take advantage of the opportunities and Calgary did. That was a pretty evenly matched game decided by a handful of plays. Could have gone either way really.

Exactly.  We had a great chance at it this year.  Which is all you can really ask for, given the random factors that impact either your own squad or the competition in any given year. 

If we keep fielding teams like the one we did this year, the playoff wins will take care of themselves, and eventually one will be a Grey Cup.  While its tempting to try to reduce it to one or two "key upgrades", every upgrade has unintended consequences in terms of salary cap, leadership, chemistry and fit. 

grab grass 'n growl
TBURGESS

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 02:29:52 PM »

CFL football is won by good Canadians, good O line and good/great QB's. We have 2 out of three. BLM, Ray, Reilly, Burris, BLM are the winning QB's over the last 5 years.

Playoff wins aren't random. Calgary and Ottawa win them all the time.

Playoff wins don't take care of themselves. The regular season is to get the best playoff ranking. Win the division, and you have a better chance of getting to the Grey Cup. Get 2nd and you get a home playoff game and a better chance at the Grey Cup. 3rd or crossover gets you a playoff game or two, but rarely does it get you to the Grey Cup.

Winnipeg fans and management are happy with looking good in the regular season, winning more than we lose, and getting a playoff win every few years. That's better than being poor all the time, for sure, but not the attitude that gets you Grey Cups.

Being right never gets old.
GCn18

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 02:37:50 PM »

Exactly.  We had a great chance at it this year.  Which is all you can really ask for, given the random factors that impact either your own squad or the competition in any given year. 

If we keep fielding teams like the one we did this year, the playoff wins will take care of themselves, and eventually one will be a Grey Cup.  While its tempting to try to reduce it to one or two "key upgrades", every upgrade has unintended consequences in terms of salary cap, leadership, chemistry and fit. 

I don't like that we didn't get the Cup, and of course some guns for hire may have helped, but really this team was capable as is to win and just didn't do it. It is really hard in retrospect to say that Chris Matthews would have won us a cup....he may have fumbled 5 times for all we know. The team that we fielded in the WF was strong enough to win that game. Calgary made their plays...we didn't. Talent wasn't the problem...execution was and some of that was due to the weather.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 02:43:45 PM »

I am not just referring to the current administration but the many who have failed to win the cup.I will say that the current group failed to add a receiver down the stretch when it was obvious we needed an upgrade there.It didn't have to be Matthews but there were other viable options.

. Even Calgary signed Bakari Grant for back up. They say we cant spend the money, we have the players. But the players they put in don't get to see the ball.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 02:56:47 PM »

I don't like that we didn't get the Cup, and of course some guns for hire may have helped, but really this team was capable as is to win and just didn't do it. It is really hard in retrospect to say that Chris Matthews would have won us a cup....he may have fumbled 5 times for all we know. The team that we fielded in the WF was strong enough to win that game. Calgary made their plays...we didn't. Talent wasn't the problem...execution was and some of that was due to the weather.

Exactly, can't blame any of the receivers for losing the WSF, the ball was just not getting to them, so it didn't really matter who they were.  The QB and the OC  both needed to be more aggressive and trust that the D. could deal with the consequences of any turnovers that occurred.  They played too scared to win.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:58:21 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »

Perhaps controversial, but I think we would have won a Grey Cup under O'Shea is we played in the East. Here's where we would have finished the last three years (without factoring in we would be playing extra games against weaker eastern opponents):

2018 - hosting the East Semi-Final and then a trip to Ottawa
2017 - hosting the East Final
2016 - hosting the East Final

We would be just as decorated as Ottawa if we were playing in their reality.
TBURGESS

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »

Calgary played in the same conditions that we did. The honest truth is that they are simply a better team than we are.

We had almost everything going our way. Only 1 starter out. A long winning streak at the end of the season. Rested starters. They still beat us and that's a worry for me. If we can't get it done when everything is almost perfectly aligned, what are our chances when they aren't?

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2018, 03:03:33 PM »

Calgary played in the same conditions that we did. The honest truth is that they are simply a better team than we are.

We had almost everything going our way. Only 1 starter out. A long winning streak at the end of the season. Rested starters. They still beat us and that's a worry for me. If we can't get it done when everything is almost perfectly aligned, what are our chances when they aren't?

A bye week and a home game is a giant advantage. The winners of the division have advanced to the Grey Cup the last three years. We beat Calgary on equal rest in Winnipeg three weeks before the West Final. Bo Levi is better than Nichols, but on the whole, we weren't outclassed by much.
GCn18

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2018, 03:04:11 PM »

Calgary was better at executing on that day, therefore that day they were the better team. However, you seem to think that they had superior talent and that the game was a foregone conclusion. I disagree. We had our chances to win that game. Twice we had men behind coverage wide open for easy TDs. Calgary made their throws...we didn't. That's not a talent issue...that's an execution issue because I don't believe that Nichols or Streveler would miss that play often. On that day they did.

GCn18

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2018, 03:06:40 PM »

A bye week and a home game is a giant advantage. The winners of the division have advanced to the Grey Cup the last three years. We beat Calgary on equal rest in Winnipeg three weeks before the West Final. Bo Levi is better than Nichols, but on the whole, we weren't outclassed by much.

We weren't outclassed at all. It was a one score game that saw no one dominate at any point.

TBURGESS

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2018, 03:08:53 PM »

I don't think it was a forgone conclusion.

BLM missed an open receiver behind our defense too.

BLM > Nichols. That's what it came down to.

GCn18

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 03:11:14 PM »

I don't think it was a forgone conclusion.

BLM missed an open receiver behind our defense too.

BLM > Nichols. That's what it came down to.

BLM had pretty pedestrian numbers that day too. He was clutch though.

Donny C

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 03:13:04 PM »

2007, Should have won if our QB didn't break his arm before the Grey Cup.

2011 Swagggerville ended up being stagerville

So there have been opportunities in the last ten years. With 8 team league if there was complete pairady (sp?) then the Bombers should win the cup every 8 years. Based on recent past Grey Cup appearances, they had the chance to make that average.

One thing that nobody is talking about is the Bombers going West...and getting nothing to do so.

Originally when the Bombers went back West I believed it was a huge mistake and even posted about that. Compounding that mistake is that they did not receive anything from the league to move divisions. The Bombers have not made it to the Grey Cup since moving to the West.

I believe that this year WPG had a good enough team to win they Grey Cup, so I wouldn't blow up the team. Instead, I think they need to add a few pieces.

1. QB: I wouldn't make Streveller the starter! Is he the QB of the future? Maybe. But he isn't the QB of today. For those that don't like Nichols, WPG was one of (or the) highest scoring offense in the league. And even if that came with Field Goals, Nichols put WPG in position to kick them.

If you want to replace Nichols, then I ask,, "With who?" Lulay? No thanks. Jennings? I don't think he is even as good as Nichols. Franklin? He hasn't proved that he's better either. Trevor Harris? To me, he might be equal to Nichols. Reily. Sure, I'd take that. Bo? I don't like him, but my only loyalty is to winning.

2 Our return game needs to improve

3 Deep threat receiver(s)

4 There was a stark difference in our D from the first half of the season to the second half. Whatever that change was, it must continue.

To me, those are the top 4 areas of focus.
TBURGESS

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 03:30:00 PM »

The Bombers were good enough on paper to compete for the Grey Cup. The Stamps were just that much better on the field.

I expect Nichols to be back, to be the starter, and to play most of the snaps next year. That being said, I'd replace him and his $450K salary with either Jennings or Franklin. Neither have done as much in the league, but both are still young with upside and neither will command anywhere near as much salary. That would allow us to upgrade other position(s) which may be more beneficial than having Nichols on the team.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: