Blue Bombers Forum
December 19, 2018, 01:35:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Aren't The Bombers Winning Grey Cups?  (Read 2268 times)
In Motion

« on: November 26, 2018, 02:26:54 AM »

There are many reasons for our Grey Cup drought. In my opinion, one big reason
is sticking with players who are mediocre. For example, we need not just good import
receivers; we need GREAT receivers. We can't be satisfied with getting 5-8 yards per kick return;
we need at least 10 or 15 per return. Just two examples.

Scouts need to get out there and find us some great players.
bwiser

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 02:45:09 AM »

I don't think our GM's have been as good as they need to be over the years.When I saw Matthews winning a Grey Cup today and think that we could have had him down the stretch and how he could have been the difference between winning and losing.The Bombers have been a bit of a cheap organization with small coaching and scouting staffs.I just don't see us being aggressive enough pursuing free agents.There has also been a bit of an old boys club in the executive for many years.
Duckman118

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:54:03 AM »

I don't think our GM's have been as good as they need to be over the years.When I saw Matthews winning a Grey Cup today and think that we could have had him down the stretch and how he could have been the difference between winning and losing.The Bombers have been a bit of a cheap organization with small coaching and scouting staffs.I just don't see us being aggressive enough pursuing free agents.There has also been a bit of an old boys club in the executive for many years.
Walters and co have been extremely aggressive in FA, not sure what you're talking about.

And to add about adding Mathews for the stretch run, I believe that back in 2016 when we signed Tory Gurly after he was cut by the Argos, he was supposed to be that big bodied receiver we needed. He ended up sucking and being released. This past off-seaskn we added Adarius Bowman for the exact same role. He sucked and we traded him. I think Walters is just weary of adding a peice that won't stick again.

"There is a conviction,
when you believe above,
absence leaks from inside,
and brings you back to life again,
I fear an emptiness,
so I just seek the truth,
then I just find myself,
coming back to you."

-Texas In July
dd

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 03:48:35 AM »

All things being equal, It comes down to one very basic thing?-Quarterback . You need a guy who?s going to get the job done, or at the very least not give the game away. Trevor Harris gave the game away today. Matt Nichols gave the game away a week ago. Look at our losing streak this sesson, our team wasn?t playing that bad, Matt Nichols was stinking the joint out.

Over the years we ve had the likes of Tommy Clements, and Matt Dunnigan and surprise, grey cup victories followed. I m not convinced Nichols can get the job done for us moving ahead.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 03:50:14 AM »

All things being equal, It comes down to one very basic thing?-Quarterback . You need a guy who?s going to get the job done, or at the very least not give the game away. Trevor Harris gave the game away today. Matt Nichols gave the game away a week ago. Look at our losing streak this sesson, our team wasn?t playing that bad, Matt Nichols was stinking the joint out.

Over the years we ve had the likes of Tommy Clements, and Matt Dunnigan and surprise, grey cup victories followed. I m not convinced Nichols can get the job done for us moving ahead.

We never won a Cup with Dunnigan. We did win Cups with Sean Salisbury and Tom Burgess.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
dd

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 03:55:46 AM »

Both those guys weren?t flashy, but they never lost you the game either. We had unreal defenses those 2years and all Salisbury and burgess had to do was move the ball, play th field position game, and not turn th ball over and we win, to which they did.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 04:06:08 AM »

Both those guys weren?t flashy, but they never lost you the game either. We had unreal defenses those 2years and all Salisbury and burgess had to do was move the ball, play th field position game, and not turn th ball over and we win, to which they did.

Yes. And we don't have that now. It ain't just Nichols.

Posting Live From Home

dd

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 04:14:52 AM »

You?re right, you can get away with a below average offense, if your D is down right dominant. We don?t have that, so a so-so Qb like Nichols won?t get it done here. If we had mike Reilly this my year, guaranteed we beat Calgary and are hoisting the grey cup
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 04:18:20 AM »

Or a burner receiver. Or a shut-down corner.

Posting Live From Home

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 04:21:04 AM »

When we landed Bighill I thought we had a legitimate shot at the cup and that was based on our offence chipping in equally.   They didn't chip in enough and Nichols wasn't good enough to overcome Calgary's very good defence.   If we lose Bighill I fear we aren't going deeper than we already have.   I just don't see it...thoughts?

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 04:31:14 AM »

We weren't good enough with this year's line up. We won't be good enough next year if the roster doesn't improve. Some players will improve, to be sure. That won't be enough. We need to improve the roster. That includes retaining Bighill, improving at DB, and improving at receiver.

We aren't making a QB change.

Posting Live From Home

buckzumhoff

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 05:11:35 AM »

We don't keep the best players. We cut some players in pre season who had really good games and kept ones who didn't. We sign Bowman instead ansd pay him a larger contract. We could have won this year. We were good enough to beat Calgary , our defense held them to 22 points . I still think Calgary spends allot more on players. They always have. Any team or teams like Toronto or Calgary , afford the top players. Calgary spends more, they get around the cap salary.  They had Flutie who won it a couple times. Any team who can sign Flutie has the money for players like him to sign. These players don't just sign with any team. They sign with teams who have the money. BC was the same way for awhile. I think they used to call it where you can over pay one player. They get money doesnt count towards salary.  Well ever since they did that some teams kept doing it. But good for Calgary. They were the best this year. Bombers had one of the best teams all around. Calgary had no running game, Edmonton didn't , Sask was hurting at qb. All we needed was \Nichols to play one good game .  But it was a good year.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 05:19:53 AM by buckzumhoff » Logged
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 07:01:00 AM »

When Bowman couldn't cut it, we should have went out there to get ourselves a Grant or Mathews who are proven winners. Instead, we stuck with newbies that dont know much about the CFL game. We could have beat Calgary if we gave Nichols an extra receiver or two.
bwiser

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »

Walters and co have been extremely aggressive in FA, not sure what you're talking about.

And to add about adding Mathews for the stretch run, I believe that back in 2016 when we signed Tory Gurly after he was cut by the Argos, he was supposed to be that big bodied receiver we needed. He ended up sucking and being released. This past off-seaskn we added Adarius Bowman for the exact same role. He sucked and we traded him. I think Walters is just weary of adding a peice that won't stick again.
I am not just referring to the current administration but the many who have failed to win the cup.I will say that the current group failed to add a receiver down the stretch when it was obvious we needed an upgrade there.It didn't have to be Matthews but there were other viable options.
GCn18

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 12:45:29 PM »

We lost to an extremely good Calgary team in a foul weather game. I think our team was easily capable of bringing home the cup this year but just didn't take advantage of the opportunities and Calgary did. That was a pretty evenly matched game decided by a handful of plays. Could have gone either way really.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: