Blue Bombers Forum
June 26, 2019, 06:18:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Bighill  (Read 16309 times)
GCn18

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2018, 05:56:33 PM »

Bighill back to BC will happen in my football opinion.

BC doesn't have much more tied up in SMS them most clubs.

This is not a knock against the Bombers, just my thoughts.

BC wouldn't go to 175k on Bighill last year, and are reportedly trying to get Reilly which would be a huge hit to their SMS as well. Let's not forget that their patchwork OL has gotta be a priority this offseason too. Who does Hervey get rid of to get Biggie his 200k+, sign Reilly, and fix his OL? He couldn't make the numbers work last year for a very reasonable Biggie contract. Something's gotta give. If BC signs Biggie there is no chance they go QB shopping.....and Hervey loves himself some QB shopping.

I get it that everyone is up in arms over a pretty benign statement by Bighill, but really it will boil down to the bucks...just as did this offseason when we signed him. If Bighill was dead set on staying home, he could have done that already.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:59:00 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Bombers_Fan

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »

If it comes down to offering him roughly the same amount, he'll definitely choose BC. Because football careers are short, he can move back to BC when his playing days are done. Like all football players, he's one play away from retirement.
Blue In BC

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2018, 06:17:31 PM »

If it comes down to offering him roughly the same amount, he'll definitely choose BC. Because football careers are short, he can move back to BC when his playing days are done. Like all football players, he's one play away from retirement.

You're missing the point. There may not be a vacancy in Vancouver. Money and family are both considerations but the decision is cumulative on many factors.

I disagree that even money is the deciding factor, nor is family consideration.  We'll see how this works out.

As far as Vancouver it's going to be interesting to see who the new HC turns out to be for a starting point.

No more excuses.
Bombers_Fan

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2018, 06:30:38 PM »

I guess I didn't make my point clear. What I meant was if BC offers the same amount, he'll go there. From a person who is earning a salary, I would go where the most money is offered, unless it was on a team with no chance of winning. Bank what you can while you can, especially with contracts that are not guaranteed.
Cool Spot

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2018, 06:56:16 PM »

What I meant was if BC offers the same amount, he'll go there. From a person who is earning a salary, I would go where the most money is offered, unless it was on a team with no chance of winning. Bank what you can while you can, especially with contracts that are not guaranteed.

Maybe.

It's not just about the money offered, but also how much you can hold onto due to taxes and cost-of-living. For example, a tech worker can make more in the Bay Area than in Seattle. However, California has state income taxes but Washington state does not. Also, housing is more expensive in the Bay Area than it is in Seattle, probably by around 25% (or more). Thus, you're not necessarily better off where more money is offered if they don't differ by that much, because hen you consider other factors it can balance out or tip the other way.

The cost-of-living in Vancouver is way higher than in Winnipeg (although I guess it depends on where players live year-round). So, to remain competitive with BC's offer from a financial perspective, they could probably match whatever BC does.
booch

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »

How do you trade a MLB with a $250K salary and what assets would you have to give up to make that trade. Therefore I don't see the Lions being able to trade him. They certainly aren't going to release him outright.

There are only 9 teams and not many will be in the hunt for any MLB.
They would trade only if the allow a team to renegotiate with him first and if he agrees on a new deal..then they do it...
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2018, 07:13:39 PM »

Seeing JSK's growth this year, I think him at MLBer would not be the end of the world. However, gimme some more Bighill please.

I'm now thinking JSK is not well-suited to MLB after witnessing what Bighill brings over an entire season, mostly due to his build he is better designed as a WIL, using his reach and speed to drop off into pass protection and covering sideline to sideline.  I want a MLB that has real bulk that can fight off blocks and pull RB's down using only his teeth.  We've witnessed an amazing performance from Bighill this season and now we've been spoiled, it's never going to be that good again.
Blue In BC

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2018, 07:19:09 PM »

They would trade only if the allow a team to renegotiate with him first and if he agrees on a new deal..then they do it...

Sure but I still find even that part of the possibilities as unlikely. Why would Solly be willing to do that? He has a contract. Either they pay him or cut him and I don't think that happens.

Let's suppose the unlikely happens and he re-negotiates within a trade. The new team is still going to be absorbing $200K ( just an arbitrary number at the moment ) AND is going to give up assets on top of that?

What we've seen in the past is that teams just wait until a player is released from the current team. Durant leaving Regina as a example. Bowman leaving Edmonton as another.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 07:27:02 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2018, 07:21:37 PM »

I guess I didn't make my point clear. What I meant was if BC offers the same amount, he'll go there. From a person who is earning a salary, I would go where the most money is offered, unless it was on a team with no chance of winning. Bank what you can while you can, especially with contracts that are not guaranteed.

Your point was clear. How do you determine a team with a better chance of winning next year, particularly this year with the new CBA?

The Lions finished 5th and the Bombers finished 3rd and appeared in the WDF. No guarantee that happens in 2019 except the perception might be that Winnipeg has made the play offs for 3 years in a row. Bighill likes O'Shea and the team. Lions will have new yet unnamed coaches.

It really comes down to whether the Lions will even remotely consider trading or releasing Solly. While it's possible I don't believe that happens. Of course Bighill might leave Winnipeg but there may be 1 or 2 other teams that might look at him in free agency.

As good as he is, not every team will be budgeting a MLB as the highest paid defensive player on their roster. Every team is different and which veterans each team retains goes into the analysis.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 07:26:29 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »

I'm now thinking JSK is not well-suited to MLB after witnessing what Bighill brings over an entire season, mostly due to his build he is better designed as a WIL, using his reach and speed to drop off into pass protection and covering sideline to sideline.  I want a MLB that has real bulk that can fight off blocks and pull RB's down using only his teeth.  We've witnessed an amazing performance from Bighill this season and now we've been spoiled, it's never going to be that good again.

I forgot what an MLB was supposed to look like and how they were supposed to play until Biggie reminded me.

Can't go back to subpar MLBing after this year...
Blue In BC

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2018, 08:41:10 PM »

JSK is the same size as Singleton. A couple of inches taller than Elimimian but the same weight. He's 4" taller than Bighill but the same weight.

So I don't know JSK's size determines his suitability to play MLB.

JSK is also a free agent so even if we lose Bighill he may not be a candidate at MLB. There could be a domino effect with some LB's moving to new teams. It's a wait and see issue.

For the moment I see no reason we can't retain both our players but understand we could lose one or both.Walters has been pretty successful in retaining the players he wants.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2018, 08:46:43 PM »

plus JSK has stated he wants to be here...so it is pretty much a given he will be I think
Blue In BC

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2018, 08:54:06 PM »

plus JSK has stated he wants to be here...so it is pretty much a given he will be I think

Good to know. I'd be happy to get him back. Whether he becomes a possible replacement at MLB if we do lose Bighill is less of an issue for today. There is going to be some other talent at both MLB and WIL that will initially reach free agency.

Let Walters do his work and get our guys under contract. Preferably before free agency.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2018, 09:12:53 PM »

Good to know. I'd be happy to get him back. Whether he becomes a possible replacement at MLB if we do lose Bighill is less of an issue for today. There is going to be some other talent at both MLB and WIL that will initially reach free agency.

Let Walters do his work and get our guys under contract. Preferably before free agency.

If they lose Bighill and JSK I would prefer going after an experienced CFL MLB rather than bringing in a bunch of talented rookies that are unable to get a handle on the job within their first year.  Seems to be the second most demanding job to grasp from a mental aspect after QB.
Blue In BC

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »

If they lose Bighill and JSK I would prefer going after an experienced CFL MLB rather than bringing in a bunch of talented rookies that are unable to get a handle on the job within their first year.  Seems to be the second most demanding job to grasp from a mental aspect after QB.

Agreed in full but it's not like there are a dozen of them going to be available. We know what we have in Bighill so that's the goal to re-sign him.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: