Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 01:15:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  
Author Topic: Throw the money at Reilly  (Read 7125 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2018, 01:43:59 AM »

Aaron Rodgers is the highest paid player in the NFL, with only one SuperBowl appearance and victory. There's not a ranking system or a rubric that determines QB pay.

oh but there is, it's how much money you have in your pocket...

Washington gave Alex Smith $70M, $45M of it guaranteed... The NFL needs a salary correction...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2018, 01:51:40 AM »

Major pro sports need a salary correction (and also cost/revenue corrections).

It just grates on me when I see posters trying to nickel and dime players. Here guys have a limited earning window. The QB will always be the highest paid player. Most CFL players aren't getting anywhere close to rich. I can't begrudge them their pay.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2018, 02:18:31 AM »

Wait till you see the bums that are going to be playing in the AAF for 75k. You think our league has QB problems...just wait. Not a single one of those guys are good enough to be a 3rd string on a CFL team. You are probably right that 250k and none of them would leave...because that is twice as much as they could make in the AAF where our training camp cuts go to start. There is going to be some god awful QBing in that league. If Nichols were to go there tomorrow he would instantly be the best QB in the league.

You don't think Aaron Murray could make a CFL team?  He was good enough to be a NFL backup for 4 years... In all honesty I would probably take him over Matt, I hated it when left the Chiefs...

and this isn't a 'you against me' or 'CFL vs. AAF' thing, at least not for... their season starts in about 2 months, I guess we'll see what they are able to scrounge up in the bone yard, lol..

66 Chevelle

« Reply #168 on: December 06, 2018, 02:22:06 AM »

It just grates on me when I see posters trying to nickel and dime players. Here guys have a limited earning window. The QB will always be the highest paid player. Most CFL players aren't getting anywhere close to rich. I can't begrudge them their pay.

I agree 100%  with you, it would be great if the entire league could pay all players between $200K and $500K, or at least every player over $100K

GCn18

« Reply #169 on: December 06, 2018, 02:24:24 AM »

You don't think Aaron Murray could make a CFL team?  He was good enough to be a NFL backup for 4 years... In all honesty I would probably take him over Matt, I hated it when left the Chiefs...

and this isn't a 'you against me' or 'CFL vs. AAF' thing, at least not for... their season starts in about 2 months, I guess we'll see what they are able to scrounge up in the bone yard, lol..

No, I don't think Aaron Murray would make a CFL team and the Argos agree with me. They worked him out earlier this summer and chose not to sign him.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:28:14 AM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #170 on: December 06, 2018, 02:33:24 AM »

No, I don't think Aaron Murray would make a CFL team. Just my opinion. We've had a ton of NFL backups come up here and very few succeed.

interesting... I'll have to chew on that a bit... because both Murray and Nichols tried out for NFL teams, Murray made it, Nichols didn't... so what does that say? again, not doubting for a second that Murray may get nothing but an apple and road map from CFL teams...

Josh Johnson was picked up by San Diego in the AAF draft, he's going this week to play for the Redskins... Also said as soon as the NFL season is over he'll come back and fulfill his commitment to the San Diego Fleet...

you know as well as I, teams/organizational overlook and or miss talent all of time... several players were rejected by the NFL went to the CFL, proved they could play and went back to the NFL... similar things will happen in the AAF... I would have never dreamed that Pat Mahomes would ever be a pro QB and couldn't understand why the Chiefs took him at all... but I'm sure glad they did now...  Grin

GCn18

« Reply #171 on: December 06, 2018, 03:10:35 AM »

interesting... I'll have to chew on that a bit... because both Murray and Nichols tried out for NFL teams, Murray made it, Nichols didn't... so what does that say? again, not doubting for a second that Murray may get nothing but an apple and road map from CFL teams...

Josh Johnson was picked up by San Diego in the AAF draft, he's going this week to play for the Redskins... Also said as soon as the NFL season is over he'll come back and fulfill his commitment to the San Diego Fleet...

you know as well as I, teams/organizational overlook and or miss talent all of time... several players were rejected by the NFL went to the CFL, proved they could play and went back to the NFL... similar things will happen in the AAF... I would have never dreamed that Pat Mahomes would ever be a pro QB and couldn't understand why the Chiefs took him at all... but I'm sure glad they did now...  Grin

It all boils down to politics a lot of the time. An inch too short, a bad agent, and you don't make it.  In Aaron Murray's case, he didn't have the arm strength for the CFL.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:13:19 AM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2018, 05:04:32 AM »

I agree 100%  with you, it would be great if the entire league could pay all players between $200K and $500K, or at least every player over $100K

With the exception of starting QBs and elite Canadians, I make more money than CFL players. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who can say that. The concussions, Achilles' tendons, knee surgeries, shoulder surgeries...they're the same at a CFL salary as they are at an NFL salary. Happy to see guys get paid and I don't post that some guy should be getting 50k less and be forced to renegotiate because they didn't have the kind of year the fans wanted from them.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Waffler

« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2018, 11:51:26 AM »

With the exception of starting QBs and elite Canadians, I make more money than CFL players. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who can say that. The concussions, Achilles' tendons, knee surgeries, shoulder surgeries...they're the same at a CFL salary as they are at an NFL salary. Happy to see guys get paid and I don't post that some guy should be getting 50k less and be forced to renegotiate because they didn't have the kind of year the fans wanted from them.
I'd agree and think that's why the cap idea on any one player is good.  The wealth goes to the foot soldiers, at least more than now.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2018, 01:14:14 PM »

Nichols isn't overpaid, can't throw a consistent or accurate long ball yet we expect to find a stud receiver to try and catch them for $54K? lol...

I promise you, if the league put a cap on QB salaries at $250K not a one of them would leave... because it doesn't appear that $500K is luring a crap ton of QB talent north...

I know you hate it, but this is exactly what is expected in the CFL and what needs to be done to be successful: unearth big time young talent on ELCs so you have a mix of veteran talent who is making good coin + up and comers who will cost a lot down the road but until then need to prove themselves for league min. That is how teams are built in the CFL. Generally, you can't have all good players on middling contracts because once proven, those ELCers are due to make the good $$ for their short earning window.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #175 on: December 06, 2018, 01:41:27 PM »

Aaron Rodgers is the highest paid player in the NFL, with only one SuperBowl appearance and victory. There's not a ranking system or a rubric that determines QB pay.

Bingo. It's not even remotely as simple as that.

I doubt that ever happens. Unless a league starts to incur heavy losses, which seems unrealistic. As long as the owners and execs continue making money hand over fist, we'll continue to see bloated player salaries, too.

I know you hate it, but this is exactly what is expected in the CFL and what needs to be done to be successful: unearth big time young talent on ELCs so you have a mix of veteran talent who is making good coin + up and comers who will cost a lot down the road but until then need to prove themselves for league min. That is how teams are built in the CFL. Generally, you can't have all good players on middling contracts because once proven, those ELCers are due to make the good $$ for their short earning window.

Well said. I think the same could be said for any league with a hard cap salary system. Scouting is so crucial for unearthing talent and creating depth on a roster.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2018, 07:07:13 AM »

That's not the point, each league can pay what it can pay, and players can choose to play or not play for the offered money.,,,  there are players that play semi=pro ball for peanuts, or less, just to play.  There will always be a source of players to play in every league, at every pay level.  Not saying the play will be stellar, or even good, in some leagues, but who knows when you are going to find a Shane Falco, or a Lewis Ward...  working a day job, but getting one more kick at playing and they take full advantage of it,

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  

Jump to: