Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 01:15:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Throw the money at Reilly  (Read 7126 times)
the paw

« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2018, 07:32:10 PM »

Last couple years a few other players excepted a pay freeze or pay cuts so why wouldn't Nichols help his team and maybe only take a $10,000 increase or maybe even a freeze for this year.
 Is he really a team player especially after the way he played this year. If he wants that big increase he might have to eat more grass because Walters might not have enough to spend on a vet OL and get less expensive OL players to protect Nichols.

Nichols is already under contract for next year, he's not looking for a raise. 

grab grass 'n growl
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »

Matt Nichols is getting paid to much for what he brings to the table IMO. If we could land a guy like Mike Reilly this team would be a lot better

Pretty obvious from this past season Reilly is not a miracle worker, despite injuries to top receivers he still had a more accomplished group to work with than Nichols had and yet he lost to the TiCats twice, beat the Argos by 1 pt., lost to BC twice and finished out of the playoffs.  Not saying he's not a good QB but I doubt he would work well restrained by LaPo's dink and dunk O scheme, nor would he be able to coax 400 yd. passing game miracles out of the Bombers timid receiving group.  Too much money and not a great fit imo.
Blue72

« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2018, 07:45:48 PM »

I have a hard time seeing QB's getting paid over $400,000 and not even winning a GC or even not playing in the GC as a starter.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »

I have a hard time seeing QB's getting paid over $400,000 and not even winning a GC or even not playing in the GC as a starter.

Reilly made more than that and missed the playoffs, now he wants even more.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:55:35 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GCn18

« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2018, 08:03:01 PM »

You won't have much at QB if you are not willing to pay 400k. An established starter in this league gets 400k minimum.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
the paw

« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2018, 08:04:43 PM »

Reilly is over $500k, missed the playoffs, and will get a raise.
Masoli will make $370k this year, and did not play in the Cup this past year.
Harris made about $450k and will probably get a raise with his new deal.
Collaros made $430k, and lost to the Bombers in the West semi-final.
Manziel, who has proved nothing, will make $350k plus this year if he plays 50% of offensive snaps for the Als.

You may have an arbitrary value set in your own mind, but Nichols is right where the market value is for a QB of his capability.  

grab grass 'n growl
GCn18

« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2018, 08:08:02 PM »

Manziel, who has proved nothing, will make $350k plus this year if he plays 50% of offensive snaps for the Als.

You may have an arbitrary value set in your own mind, but Nichols is right where the market value is for a QB of his capability.  

I think you are correct. Ray was close to 500k as well.

TBURGESS

« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2018, 09:41:23 PM »

Why no BLM?

Nichols is the 2nd best paid QB on your list. He's not the 2nd best QB.

Collaros and Manziel are overpaid too.

Being right never gets old.
GCn18

« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2018, 10:19:46 PM »

Why no BLM?

It's easy to say that Nichols is overpaid, but realistically half the league doesn't have a starting QB and only a couple are going to find one. When talent at that position is that scarce, it's tough to argue that the guys who are consistent are overpaid. I'd much rather give Nichols 450k than to be like Saskatchewan hoping for the 4th time in 4 years they can revive the career of a QB that sucked the previous year.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 10:24:08 PM by GCn18 » Logged

buckzumhoff

« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2018, 10:56:42 PM »

Nichols is probably the most overpaid if those salaries are correct. Masoli passes 300 yards ten games in a row and hes making less. I guess management doesn't check around to see what the going rate is. Teams will pay Glenn 250 to sit on the sidelines. Or 400 to start and hes another one who cant win. Nichols I give him credit but shouldn't be making more than 400 if others are making less.
GCn18

« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2018, 11:13:51 PM »

Nichols is probably the most overpaid if those salaries are correct. Masoli passes 300 yards ten games in a row and hes making less. I guess management doesn't check around to see what the going rate is. Teams will pay Glenn 250 to sit on the sidelines. Or 400 to start and hes another one who cant win. Nichols I give him credit but shouldn't be making more than 400 if others are making less.

Zach Collaros is the most overpaid and it's not even close.

the paw

« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2018, 11:26:34 PM »

Why no BLM?

BLM has 11 NFL teams calling for a workout, he?s not in this market for a couple of years.  I also left Ray off, because I think it is almost certain he retires.

?Overpaid? is a loaded term.  Price is set by supply and demand, and it doesn?t guarantee wins or playoff appearances.  In retrospect SK didn?t get great value from Collaros, but he was able to command that price because there is a shortage of experienced starting QBs who have performed at a certain level. 

grab grass 'n growl
66 Chevelle

« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2018, 12:15:24 AM »

It's easy to say that Nichols is overpaid, but realistically half the league doesn't have a starting QB and only a couple are going to find one. When talent at that position is that scarce, it's tough to argue that the guys who are consistent are overpaid. I'd much rather give Nichols 450k than to be like Saskatchewan hoping for the 4th time in 4 years they can revive the career of a QB that sucked the previous year.

Nichols isn't overpaid, can't throw a consistent or accurate long ball yet we expect to find a stud receiver to try and catch them for $54K? lol...

I promise you, if the league put a cap on QB salaries at $250K not a one of them would leave... because it doesn't appear that $500K is luring a crap ton of QB talent north...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn18

« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2018, 01:04:49 AM »

Nichols isn't overpaid, can't throw a consistent or accurate long ball yet we expect to find a stud receiver to try and catch them for $54K? lol...

I promise you, if the league put a cap on QB salaries at $250K not a one of them would leave... because it doesn't appear that $500K is luring a crap ton of QB talent north...

Wait till you see the bums that are going to be playing in the AAF for 75k. You think our league has QB problems...just wait. Not a single one of those guys are good enough to be a 3rd string on a CFL team. You are probably right that 250k and none of them would leave...because that is twice as much as they could make in the AAF where our training camp cuts go to start. There is going to be some god awful QBing in that league. If Nichols were to go there tomorrow he would instantly be the best QB in the league.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:07:13 AM by GCn18 » Logged

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2018, 01:34:14 AM »

Aaron Rodgers is the highest paid player in the NFL, with only one SuperBowl appearance and victory. There's not a ranking system or a rubric that determines QB pay.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  

Jump to: