Blue Bombers Forum
September 17, 2019, 10:45:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Western semi final Xs and Os  (Read 3381 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 09:03:30 PM »

In honour of Tecnos request

Thanks Goldie!  You guys all have some great ideas.  I'm sure Lapo/Hall are thinking along the same lines.

I agree that key on O is the ground game.  While we may start with a lot of tiny/no gains by Harris, we do best when sticking with it and pounding it out.  I notice that eventually he starts breaking free when the D's start to get a bit tired and sloppy.  It also opens us up for all the fun deep and middle routes.

Beyond that, I'm sure Lapo is coming up with the plan of his life.  I believe our coords > ssk coords.  Yes, even Hall.  We're going to run circles around them in the chess match.  I have zero doubt about that.

On D it's easy:

- blitz
- run blitz
- stuff the box
- watch the edge: Thigpen et al love to bounce out when the box is stuffed, use run blitz with edge containment
- don't ignore deep, Collaros will chuck deep when it looks available, so Fogg/Randle/Alexander can't get stuck peeking at the QB
- give them just the short pass game in the flat: their poor receivers and horrid QBs can't sustain passing drives

And shed those cheatin' holdin' blockers on run D, screens and STs.  Push 'em back, knock 'em down, pull them forward onto their knees.  Reciprocate all the nasty tricks their OL will use on us.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:22 PM »

Thanks Goldie!  You guys all have some great ideas.  I'm sure Lapo/Hall are thinking along the same lines.

I agree that key on O is the ground game.  While we may start with a lot of tiny/no gains by Harris, we do best when sticking with it and pounding it out.  I notice that eventually he starts breaking free when the D's start to get a bit tired and sloppy.  It also opens us up for all the fun deep and middle routes.

Beyond that, I'm sure Lapo is coming up with the plan of his life.  I believe our coords > ssk coords.  Yes, even Hall.  We're going to run circles around them in the chess match.  I have zero doubt about that.

On D it's easy:

- blitz
- run blitz
- stuff the box
- watch the edge: Thigpen et al love to bounce out when the box is stuffed, use run blitz with edge containment
- don't ignore deep, Collaros will chuck deep when it looks available, so Fogg/Randle/Alexander can't get stuck peeking at the QB
- give them just the short pass game in the flat: their poor receivers and horrid QBs can't sustain passing drives

And shed those cheatin' holdin' blockers on run D, screens and STs.  Push 'em back, knock 'em down, pull them forward onto their knees.  Reciprocate all the nasty tricks their OL will use on us.

could not agree more!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
3rdand1.5

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 09:47:15 PM »

Game plan...Long controlled drives, eat the clock and attempt to tire out the defence. They have a great defence, but not a ton of depth/rotation talent. I think with Harris, Demski, Streveler, Augustine, la France and even our wr, on jet sweeps we have the horses to rotate and keep "fresh legs" Try and catch them off guard with the odd hurry-up, let them "fake" injury they are thin at quality depth. But first and foremost don't force it and secure the ball that defence is extremely opportunistic.

As to our defence, we "should" have no issues with the Sask. offence, they are all defence. If the Sask offence drives on us and they put up yards/points we deserve to lose period!!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »

Game plan...Long controlled drives, eat the clock and attempt to tire out the defence. They have a great defence, but not a ton of depth/rotation talent. I think with Harris, Demski, Streveler, Augustine, la France and even our wr, on jet sweeps we have the horses to rotate and keep "fresh legs" Try and catch them off guard with the odd hurry-up, let them "fake" injury they are thin at quality depth. But first and foremost don't force it and secure the ball that defence is extremely opportunistic.

As to our defence, we "should" have no issues with the Sask. offence, they are all defence. If the Sask offence drives on us and they put up yards/points we deserve to lose period!!
I like the idea they cannot afford and fake injury because of extremely thin on depth in D. Maybe we do hurry up to have them fake injure someone then exploit the weakness on the very next couple plays. Check mate!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Foxhound

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »

When you were looking these up, did you notice in what city each was played?

Taking only the playoff games in Regina into consideration the situation looks even more grim for the Bombers:

1955 Winnipeg 16 Saskatchewan 7

1956 Saskatchewan 42 Winnipeg 7
1966 Saskatchewan 14 Winnipeg 7
1971 Saskatchewan 34 Winnipeg 23
1975 Saskatchewan 42 Winnipeg 24

It's been 63 years since the Blue Bombers managed to knock off the Roughriders in a playoff game in Regina.

Shocked

Radically Canadian!

Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 03:53:06 PM »

Ok so we have them right where we want them then. Smiley

No more excuses.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 03:59:51 PM »

In honour of Tecnos request

On Offence quick hitters with some miss direction needs to be employed here if you ask me. Just running Harris up the middle I fear with not work. Establish that game plan then go over the top with Dressler, Adams, Wolitarski.

Do a no huddle when they least expect it as well.

On Defence tight man to man with fancy blitz schemes should seriously disrupt there offensive game plan whatever it might be. Without JSK in there Wild has just got to do his job and I sure Biggie willl step up big time. Get in Zachs face early and he is screwed for the balance of the game. Unlike a guy like Rielly when you constantly need to be in his face all game long to disrupt his rythym.

Interested in hearing from you guys in particular how the Blue Bombers should stop the Rider running attack?

ST needs to to stay in there lanes on coverage  and cannot give up the big play. Need guys like Miller and Briggs to have good games. Medlock I am not worried about at all.

MOS needs to make the good % choices all game long. No loopy doopystuff.

We have taken the least amount of penalties all season long, please let that continue here in the playoffs.

More game plan info can be heard in CBC radio 3:15 by yours truly.
Good plan Stan....looking at the lineup it appears JSK is starting which is a good thing....we need all hands on deck!

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »

Ok so we have them right where we want them then. Smiley
Cheesy Cheesy

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
Foxhound

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »

All this Xs and Os stuff is over analyzing the situation though

Consider. While the Saskatchewan Roughriders were 12-6, they only outscored the opposition 450-444. They're not that scary a team. They won with smoke and mirrors this year by allowing the opposition to beat themselves.

The key for the Blue Bombers is therefore not to beat themselves. Strictly limit the penalties and turnovers (ideally to zero) and no breakdowns on kick coverage. Do that and the Roughriders don't have the horses to win. It's just that simple.

Smiley

Radically Canadian!

Fred C Dobbs

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »

Taking only the playoff games in Regina into consideration the situation looks even more grim for the Bombers:

1955 Winnipeg 16 Saskatchewan 7

1956 Saskatchewan 42 Winnipeg 7
1966 Saskatchewan 14 Winnipeg 7
1971 Saskatchewan 34 Winnipeg 23
1975 Saskatchewan 42 Winnipeg 24

It's been 63 years since the Blue Bombers managed to knock off the Roughriders in a playoff game in Regina.

Shocked

True enough but when we did win, we won BIG:

https://twitter.com/BomberAlumni/status/1056714637226450944

Good advice: "There are a lot of idiots out there posting on forums. But if you ignore them, they will eventually go away."
Foxhound

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »

Wow! Five picks for Bud Grant!

Shocked

Radically Canadian!

Tehedra

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 05:47:37 PM »

I thought we would go run heavy as well which is why I thought we would sit LaFrance instead of Augustine
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »

I thought we would go run heavy as well which is why I thought we would sit LaFrance instead of Augustine

I think we'll be going run heavy as well. No idea how LaFrance plays and Augustine sits regardless of how many reps any of the back ups get. We dressed both last week in order to dress Gray & Speller ( 7 OL ) which was not the norm.

No more excuses.
Fred C Dobbs

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »

Wow! Five picks for Bud Grant!

Shocked

Only two players in CFL/NFL history have had 5 picks in one game and they're both Bombers: Bud Grant and Rod Hill.

Good advice: "There are a lot of idiots out there posting on forums. But if you ignore them, they will eventually go away."
Jesse

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 06:53:33 PM »

All this Xs and Os stuff is over analyzing the situation though

Consider. While the Saskatchewan Roughriders were 12-6, they only outscored the opposition 450-444. They're not that scary a team. They won with smoke and mirrors this year by allowing the opposition to beat themselves.

The key for the Blue Bombers is therefore not to beat themselves. Strictly limit the penalties and turnovers (ideally to zero) and no breakdowns on kick coverage. Do that and the Roughriders don't have the horses to win. It's just that simple.

Smiley

I remember I used to talk myself into being confident about winning every game. It didn't matter who we were playing, by the time game day rolled around I was convinced we would win. Happened every week. I would look up the college stats of guys like Alex Brink, Joey Elliott, Max Hall, etc. and think what solid prospects they were, and how good they would be the following season.

Eventually, though it took a long time, that wore off. And now I'm pretty cynical most weeks. Especially this year, when the team almost had me convinced we had "made it" to the upper echelon of the league, but started off slow, and then hit that losing skid. And I got even more cynical and detached than any point since Tim Burke.

All that said, I am not worried at all this week. I feel more confident than any point this season. There shouldn't be any reason for us not to pitch another shut out as far as I'm concerned.

My wife is amazing!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: