Blue Bombers Forum
September 15, 2019, 06:03:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Western semi final Xs and Os  (Read 3326 times)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« on: November 09, 2018, 05:23:27 PM »

In honour of Tecnos request

On Offence quick hitters with some miss direction needs to be employed here if you ask me. Just running Harris up the middle I fear with not work. Establish that game plan then go over the top with Dressler, Adams, Wolitarski.

Do a no huddle when they least expect it as well.

On Defence tight man to man with fancy blitz schemes should seriously disrupt there offensive game plan whatever it might be. Without JSK in there Wild has just got to do his job and I sure Biggie willl step up big time. Get in Zachs face early and he is screwed for the balance of the game. Unlike a guy like Rielly when you constantly need to be in his face all game long to disrupt his rythym.

Interested in hearing from you guys in particular how the Blue Bombers should stop the Rider running attack?

ST needs to to stay in there lanes on coverage  and cannot give up the big play. Need guys like Miller and Briggs to have good games. Medlock I am not worried about at all.

MOS needs to make the good % choices all game long. No loopy doopystuff.

We have taken the least amount of penalties all season long, please let that continue here in the playoffs.

More game plan info can be heard in CBC radio 3:15 by yours truly.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:29:27 PM by GOLDMEMBER » Logged

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Blue In BC

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »

I think our secondary and man to man is a paradox. I'm very concerned we'll fall back into old habits and provide way too much cushion on receivers.  If the DL doesn't get to Collaros it could be a problem. Fogg will be targeted the most all game IMO. If he doesn't have at least an average game it will not go well.

We should be able to handle the run unless Wild plays poorly and continues the trend of sloppy weak arm tackles.

I agree about the misdirection on offense with Harris. The predictable runs up the middle on 1st down needs to change.  So goes Harris goes the offense.

Return game needs to do better otherwise we've got the longer field starting point too often.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:31:43 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
rubanski

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 06:19:53 PM »

Our D is better than their offence - no question. Blitz until they prove they can make you pay for it. Happy Feet will be Collaros' new nickname when the hits start coming.

Agreed, cannot give up the big return - directional punting at the expense of yards on the punts is a must.

Lapo is a creative and intelligent offensive mind. Labour day was all Harris, and the banjo bowl featured plenty of play action passes, and stuff to Demski.

Jones admitted the 31 - 0 thumping we ran a lot of stuff he wasn't expecting. Can Lapo do it again? We did ALL that damage in the 1st half. Both teams hit the snooze button for the 2nd.

Noise is an obvious big advantage for the Riders. It means the BB need to be able to make any audibles (changing of the play call or protection scheme right before the snap) on signals only. Fortunately we have a great veteran o-line that has had the chance to play together for a very long time - they are likely able to this as good as any.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 06:23:10 PM by rubanski » Logged
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »

Hoping MOS doesn't "out coach " himself on this bigger stage that he hasn't conquered yet. 

Bring the pressure smartly and early.  Don't let ZC have early success - he can make some nice throws if you give him time. 

Wrap up the tackles

Force turnovers/ protect the ball

Worried about coaching, Fogg, and Wild

I do think either team can win and the one who makes the less mistakes will.

the paw

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 06:39:26 PM »

On defence, I would run zone in the secondary, and dare Collaros or Bridge to beat us by passing.  I would keep Bighill and Wild near the box to contain Marshall, who is a punishing runner and will be needed in the cold weather.  Plenty of blitz on passing downs, but from different places.  If we don't let Marshall/Thigpen run roughshod, I don't think they have the receivers to get the job done. 

On offence, I think patience is the key.  Commit to the run game, even if it means getting Lafrance and Augustine some reps.  Challenge Hurl in the middle.  A few of those jet sweeps mixed in.  If conditions are good, we can take them deep, but otherwise look for Dressler and Wolitarsky in the immediate zone, and some dump off passes to Harris and Demski.  Above all, ball security. 

grab grass 'n growl
Horseman

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 06:40:04 PM »

"Do a no huddle when they least expect it as well".

You know as soon as we try the no huddle quick offence, one of their DL will fall down with a cramp or some other "injury".
Foxhound

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 06:45:06 PM »

I checked and found these results going back to the 1966 playoffs:

1966 Saskatchewan 14 Winnipeg 7
1966 Saskatchewan 21 Winnipeg 19
1971 Saskatchewan 34 Winnipeg 23
1972 Saskatchewan 27 Winnipeg 24
1975 Saskatchewan 42 Winnipeg 24
2003 Saskatchewan 37 Winnipeg 21
2007 Saskatchewan 23 Winnipeg 19 (Grey Cup)

That's seven losses in a row!

Shocked

The Bombers absolutely, positively have to force the Roughriders' out of their comfort zone and put paid to the Roughriders' streak.

Radically Canadian!

Jesse

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 06:53:18 PM »

I checked and found these results going back to the 1966 playoffs:

1966 Saskatchewan 21 Winnipeg 19
1972 Saskatchewan 27 Winnipeg 24
2003 Saskatchewan 37 Winnipeg 21
2007 Saskatchewan 23 Winnipeg 19 (Grey Cup)

That's seven losses in a row!

Shocked

The Bombers absolutely, positively have to force the Roughriders' out of their comfort zone and put paid to the Roughriders' streak.

When you were looking these up, did you notice in what city each was played?

My wife is amazing!
Foxhound

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 06:55:41 PM »

The info was there but I didn't think to record it. Could be a key detail though!

I'll check tonight.

Wink

Radically Canadian!

Norm W

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 07:11:04 PM »

Different teams, different players, different coaches.... the stats mean zero, they are not on this years active roster.  Grin

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
booch

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »

Play a clean game..we win...the Riders have won 12 games...but when you look at it...They only got 5 wins when the Defense or special teams didn't score 1 or more TD's..couple of those wins they just won with those scores included...and 2 wins without that contribution they barely squeaked out wins vs Montreal and Toronto

And all this love and adoration from media and fan prognosticators is kind of funny too about how their defense will be the difference..and the reason for the win.

Lat I checked we gave up fewer points..419 to 444...which includes less offensive touchdowns by opponent of 37 to 35...gave up 10 less passing TD's...led the league in turnover ratio at +13 to their +6...led league in points off turnovers even with their defensive TD's (indicator of a better all around team)...took least amount of penalties so obviously a more disciplined team and less chance to extend offences drives with a penalty...led the league in forced turnovers (8 more than Sask)..tied Sask in sacks at 45...gave up fewer kick return TD's than Sask...we teid for 2nd in league..they were last

Not to mention the offensive superiority of us to them...53 offensive TD's to their 25..

To lose this game we really have to shoot ourselves in the foot and give them the wins like we did in our 2 losses....and flying under the radar and getting minimal respect/love and being seen as under dog is perfect position to be in....Home field advantage won't be enough to allow them to eek out a win unless we really crap the bed

I bet it's a 31-16 Wpg victory

GCn19

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 07:19:43 PM »

They Offence averages around 12 points a game. Their defence gives up 24. Pretty simple deduction. Do what we do best, ball control and no turnovers and this isn't close.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
drahgon

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 07:27:15 PM »

Play a clean game..we win...the Riders have won 12 games...but when you look at it...They only got 5 wins when the Defense or special teams didn't score 1 or more TD's..couple of those wins they just won with those scores included...and 2 wins without that contribution they barely squeaked out wins vs Montreal and Toronto

And all this love and adoration from media and fan prognosticators is kind of funny too about how their defense will be the difference..and the reason for the win.

Lat I checked we gave up fewer points..419 to 444...which includes less offensive touchdowns by opponent of 37 to 35...gave up 10 less passing TD's...led the league in turnover ratio at +13 to their +6...led league in points off turnovers even with their defensive TD's (indicator of a better all around team)...took least amount of penalties so obviously a more disciplined team and less chance to extend offences drives with a penalty...led the league in forced turnovers (8 more than Sask)..tied Sask in sacks at 45...gave up fewer kick return TD's than Sask...we teid for 2nd in league..they were last

Not to mention the offensive superiority of us to them...53 offensive TD's to their 25..

To lose this game we really have to shoot ourselves in the foot and give them the wins like we did in our 2 losses....and flying under the radar and getting minimal respect/love and being seen as under dog is perfect position to be in....Home field advantage won't be enough to allow them to eek out a win unless we really crap the bed

Reading that made me feel great, thank you! Go Blue!
Foxhound

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »

Different teams, different players, different coaches.... the stats mean zero, they are not on this years active roster.  Grin

Is Ron Lancaster still under concussion protocol? If so that may explain why I haven't been able to find his name in CFL Fantasy.

Undecided

Radically Canadian!

Jesse

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »

Almost mirrors my prediction (30-13)

Can't see them getting more than one TD and a couple of field goals.

My wife is amazing!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 09:03:30 PM »

Thanks Goldie!  You guys all have some great ideas.  I'm sure Lapo/Hall are thinking along the same lines.

I agree that key on O is the ground game.  While we may start with a lot of tiny/no gains by Harris, we do best when sticking with it and pounding it out.  I notice that eventually he starts breaking free when the D's start to get a bit tired and sloppy.  It also opens us up for all the fun deep and middle routes.

Beyond that, I'm sure Lapo is coming up with the plan of his life.  I believe our coords > ssk coords.  Yes, even Hall.  We're going to run circles around them in the chess match.  I have zero doubt about that.

On D it's easy:

- blitz
- run blitz
- stuff the box
- watch the edge: Thigpen et al love to bounce out when the box is stuffed, use run blitz with edge containment
- don't ignore deep, Collaros will chuck deep when it looks available, so Fogg/Randle/Alexander can't get stuck peeking at the QB
- give them just the short pass game in the flat: their poor receivers and horrid QBs can't sustain passing drives

And shed those cheatin' holdin' blockers on run D, screens and STs.  Push 'em back, knock 'em down, pull them forward onto their knees.  Reciprocate all the nasty tricks their OL will use on us.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:22 PM »

Thanks Goldie!  You guys all have some great ideas.  I'm sure Lapo/Hall are thinking along the same lines.

I agree that key on O is the ground game.  While we may start with a lot of tiny/no gains by Harris, we do best when sticking with it and pounding it out.  I notice that eventually he starts breaking free when the D's start to get a bit tired and sloppy.  It also opens us up for all the fun deep and middle routes.

Beyond that, I'm sure Lapo is coming up with the plan of his life.  I believe our coords > ssk coords.  Yes, even Hall.  We're going to run circles around them in the chess match.  I have zero doubt about that.

On D it's easy:

- blitz
- run blitz
- stuff the box
- watch the edge: Thigpen et al love to bounce out when the box is stuffed, use run blitz with edge containment
- don't ignore deep, Collaros will chuck deep when it looks available, so Fogg/Randle/Alexander can't get stuck peeking at the QB
- give them just the short pass game in the flat: their poor receivers and horrid QBs can't sustain passing drives

And shed those cheatin' holdin' blockers on run D, screens and STs.  Push 'em back, knock 'em down, pull them forward onto their knees.  Reciprocate all the nasty tricks their OL will use on us.

could not agree more!

3rdand1.5

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 09:47:15 PM »

Game plan...Long controlled drives, eat the clock and attempt to tire out the defence. They have a great defence, but not a ton of depth/rotation talent. I think with Harris, Demski, Streveler, Augustine, la France and even our wr, on jet sweeps we have the horses to rotate and keep "fresh legs" Try and catch them off guard with the odd hurry-up, let them "fake" injury they are thin at quality depth. But first and foremost don't force it and secure the ball that defence is extremely opportunistic.

As to our defence, we "should" have no issues with the Sask. offence, they are all defence. If the Sask offence drives on us and they put up yards/points we deserve to lose period!!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »

Game plan...Long controlled drives, eat the clock and attempt to tire out the defence. They have a great defence, but not a ton of depth/rotation talent. I think with Harris, Demski, Streveler, Augustine, la France and even our wr, on jet sweeps we have the horses to rotate and keep "fresh legs" Try and catch them off guard with the odd hurry-up, let them "fake" injury they are thin at quality depth. But first and foremost don't force it and secure the ball that defence is extremely opportunistic.

As to our defence, we "should" have no issues with the Sask. offence, they are all defence. If the Sask offence drives on us and they put up yards/points we deserve to lose period!!
I like the idea they cannot afford and fake injury because of extremely thin on depth in D. Maybe we do hurry up to have them fake injure someone then exploit the weakness on the very next couple plays. Check mate!

Foxhound

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »

When you were looking these up, did you notice in what city each was played?

Taking only the playoff games in Regina into consideration the situation looks even more grim for the Bombers:

1955 Winnipeg 16 Saskatchewan 7

1956 Saskatchewan 42 Winnipeg 7

It's been 63 years since the Blue Bombers managed to knock off the Roughriders in a playoff game in Regina.

Shocked

Radically Canadian!

Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 03:53:06 PM »

Ok so we have them right where we want them then. Smiley

No more excuses.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 03:59:51 PM »

On Offence quick hitters with some miss direction needs to be employed here if you ask me. Just running Harris up the middle I fear with not work. Establish that game plan then go over the top with Dressler, Adams, Wolitarski.

Do a no huddle when they least expect it as well.

On Defence tight man to man with fancy blitz schemes should seriously disrupt there offensive game plan whatever it might be. Without JSK in there Wild has just got to do his job and I sure Biggie willl step up big time. Get in Zachs face early and he is screwed for the balance of the game. Unlike a guy like Rielly when you constantly need to be in his face all game long to disrupt his rythym.

Interested in hearing from you guys in particular how the Blue Bombers should stop the Rider running attack?

ST needs to to stay in there lanes on coverage  and cannot give up the big play. Need guys like Miller and Briggs to have good games. Medlock I am not worried about at all.

MOS needs to make the good % choices all game long. No loopy doopystuff.

We have taken the least amount of penalties all season long, please let that continue here in the playoffs.

More game plan info can be heard in CBC radio 3:15 by yours truly.
Good plan Stan....looking at the lineup it appears JSK is starting which is a good thing....we need all hands on deck!

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »

Ok so we have them right where we want them then. Smiley
Cheesy Cheesy

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
Foxhound

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 04:48:34 PM »

All this Xs and Os stuff is over analyzing the situation though

Consider. While the Saskatchewan Roughriders were 12-6, they only outscored the opposition 450-444. They're not that scary a team. They won with smoke and mirrors this year by allowing the opposition to beat themselves.

The key for the Blue Bombers is therefore not to beat themselves. Strictly limit the penalties and turnovers (ideally to zero) and no breakdowns on kick coverage. Do that and the Roughriders don't have the horses to win. It's just that simple.

Smiley

Radically Canadian!

Fred C Dobbs

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 05:00:07 PM »

Taking only the playoff games in Regina into consideration the situation looks even more grim for the Bombers:

1955 Winnipeg 16 Saskatchewan 7

1956 Saskatchewan 42 Winnipeg 7

It's been 63 years since the Blue Bombers managed to knock off the Roughriders in a playoff game in Regina.

Shocked

True enough but when we did win, we won BIG:

https://twitter.com/BomberAlumni/status/1056714637226450944

Good advice: "There are a lot of idiots out there posting on forums. But if you ignore them, they will eventually go away."
Foxhound

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »

Wow! Five picks for Bud Grant!

Shocked

Radically Canadian!

Tehedra

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 05:47:37 PM »

I thought we would go run heavy as well which is why I thought we would sit LaFrance instead of Augustine
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 06:14:08 PM »

I thought we would go run heavy as well which is why I thought we would sit LaFrance instead of Augustine

I think we'll be going run heavy as well. No idea how LaFrance plays and Augustine sits regardless of how many reps any of the back ups get. We dressed both last week in order to dress Gray & Speller ( 7 OL ) which was not the norm.

No more excuses.
Fred C Dobbs

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »

Wow! Five picks for Bud Grant!

Shocked

Only two players in CFL/NFL history have had 5 picks in one game and they're both Bombers: Bud Grant and Rod Hill.

Good advice: "There are a lot of idiots out there posting on forums. But if you ignore them, they will eventually go away."
Jesse

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 06:53:33 PM »

All this Xs and Os stuff is over analyzing the situation though

Consider. While the Saskatchewan Roughriders were 12-6, they only outscored the opposition 450-444. They're not that scary a team. They won with smoke and mirrors this year by allowing the opposition to beat themselves.

The key for the Blue Bombers is therefore not to beat themselves. Strictly limit the penalties and turnovers (ideally to zero) and no breakdowns on kick coverage. Do that and the Roughriders don't have the horses to win. It's just that simple.

Smiley

I remember I used to talk myself into being confident about winning every game. It didn't matter who we were playing, by the time game day rolled around I was convinced we would win. Happened every week. I would look up the college stats of guys like Alex Brink, Joey Elliott, Max Hall, etc. and think what solid prospects they were, and how good they would be the following season.

Eventually, though it took a long time, that wore off. And now I'm pretty cynical most weeks. Especially this year, when the team almost had me convinced we had "made it" to the upper echelon of the league, but started off slow, and then hit that losing skid. And I got even more cynical and detached than any point since Tim Burke.

All that said, I am not worried at all this week. I feel more confident than any point this season. There shouldn't be any reason for us not to pitch another shut out as far as I'm concerned.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 07:34:49 PM »

I remember I used to talk myself into being confident about winning every game. It didn't matter who we were playing, by the time game day rolled around I was convinced we would win. Happened every week. I would look up the college stats of guys like Alex Brink, Joey Elliott, Max Hall, etc. and think what solid prospects they were, and how good they would be the following season.

Eventually, though it took a long time, that wore off. And now I'm pretty cynical most weeks. Especially this year, when the team almost had me convinced we had "made it" to the upper echelon of the league, but started off slow, and then hit that losing skid. And I got even more cynical and detached than any point since Tim Burke.

All that said, I am not worried at all this week. I feel more confident than any point this season. There shouldn't be any reason for us not to pitch another shut out as far as I'm concerned.

It's been tough. The team has given us reason in 2016 - 2018 to be optimistic and then fallen on their faces.

At the moment we've been playing better than most in the playoffs at the end of the season. The game last week was more or less a throw away with many top starters not playing.

Whether those starters benefited from a weeks rest or whether we lost any momentum remains to be seen.

Too many past disappointments in the past to be overly optimistic. We should win but that's what I thought in 2016 and 2017 in the WSF's as well.

What's the saying? Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:38:19 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 08:42:11 PM »

Hall and company will have a good game plan and the players should be able to execute

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Leroy

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 11:10:13 PM »

I am hoping we break out the cheetah offence at times tomorrow.

Blue In BC

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 02:21:49 PM »

Hall and company will have a good game plan and the players should be able to execute

We're a better team and should win. Sounds simple. If we don't win there are going to be many questions during the off season as to what went wrong.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2018, 02:52:37 PM »

We're a better team and should win. Sounds simple. If we don't win there are going to be many questions during the off season as to what went wrong.
I'll go one better... If we don't win, MOS should be gone.

Being right never gets old.
Jesse

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »

I'll go one better... If we don't win, MOS should be gone.

Depends.

In reality, I can't see a situation in which he's fired in the off season. They organization values stability too much.

The only problems I can see raising their heads in the play offs are Matt Nichols ball control and/or Hall's defence regressing. Obviously, that all lands on MOS' feet, but he would get the chance to do something about it (again).

My wife is amazing!
dd

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 03:04:56 PM »

That?s a totally ridiculous statement and why talk about something that isn?t going to happen??

Who the heck  pulled this team out of its mid season funk and stood beside and supported our #1 Qb when the lynch mob was calling for his head?? Things don?t happen by accident. We have a strong clubhouse that believe and supports one another and their HC. No way anyone messes with that regardless of today?s outcome. Quit being a doubting thomas and  always talking doom and  gloom.
Knocker42

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »

Exactly, dd!!
Even if only half of what we hear is true, MOS has developed the rabble he inherited into a cohesive unit.  Maybe not world beaters, not yet anyhow, but every year we have made progress.  Why would any organization, even for a minute, want to get rid of that?
It would be crazy.
Blue In BC

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2018, 03:32:35 PM »

Too early to go there. However if we're one and done for a 3rd year that is not exactly the definition of progress. There are so many factors when considering either a win or a loss and ultimate accountability.

We've seen games where 2 QB's on one team were injured before half time. Receivers or RB's as well. The unforeseen etc.

Every off season is a re-evaluation of coaches, players and all that goes into each CFL team.

Let the cards fall where they may.  It's easier to deal with winning than losing. So again, simple. Just win.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2018, 03:51:00 PM »

FTR: I don't expect us to lose, but if we did, I'd get rid of MOS. 5 years and no playoff wins = try someone else.

Being right never gets old.
Pigskin

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »

If we play the run, shut down the kick return game, and don't turnover the ball, we should win this game by 21 points.
Blue In BC

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2018, 03:56:13 PM »

I can see the possibility of reaching and even winning the Grey Cup. That doesn't make me any less nervous about each game as it arrives.

Fingers are crossed and IMO if we play an even average game today we'll win. Turnovers and not giving up the big plays are the key. No significant injuries that swing the game etc.

Get early momentum and keep the foot to the floor and never give them hope. Score 1st. All cliche but that's the normal reality.

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2018, 05:37:31 PM »

I can too!! It can happen, I can see it. Starts today at mosaic field. Beat the ruffies!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: