Blue Bombers Forum
November 16, 2018, 04:04:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Top HC Prospects for 2019  (Read 872 times)
Norm W

« on: November 08, 2018, 06:21:21 PM »

An article published in 3downnation about the top HC prospects... The opening sentence about Lapo made me laugh!

"Hamstrung by an inept general manager during his head coaching stint in Winnipeg (2011-2013), LaPolice has reestablished himself as one of the league's top offensive coordinators. For a team looking to boost its offensive production, LaPolice would make a strong head coaching candidate."

Entire article here... http://3downnation.com/2018/11/08/top-12-cfl-head-coaching-candidates/

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:19:19 PM »

Some baffling candidates on that list but that's nothing new from Hodge. His columns stink and this one is no exception. I mean, Dinwiddie...? And he can't even get LaPolice's tenure right (it was 2010-12).

His point on LaPolice being hamstrung by an inept GM isn't exactly inaccurate. However, I still don't see him as HC material. He seems best suited to a booth calling offense.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »

I don't think any of them are "baffling"...some would be longshots but guys like Steinauer and Claybrooks are solid...I think it is a fair summary of what is out there with some CFL experience.

DeVone Claybrooks

Claybrooks ended his ten-year playing career in January of 2012 to become the Calgary Stampeders? defensive line coach. Serving as the club?s defensive coordinator for the past three seasons, Claybrooks is considered by many to be the top head coaching candidate for 2019.

Orlondo Steinauer

Steinauer briefly ended his seven-year coaching tenure in the CFL following the 2016 season when he became the defensive coordinator at Fresno State. Serving now as the Ticats? assistant head coach, this five-time all-star is earmarked by many to become the next head coach in Hamilton ? or elsewhere.

Paul LaPolice

Hamstrung by an inept general manager during his head coaching stint in Winnipeg (2011-2013), LaPolice has reestablished himself as one of the league?s top offensive coordinators. For a team looking to boost its offensive production, LaPolice would make a strong head coaching candidate.

Scott Milanovich

Milanovich won a Grey Cup during his five-year stint as the head coach of the Toronto Argonauts (2012-2016) and helped develop Zach Collaros and Trevor Harris into starting-caliber quarterbacks. Now the quarterbacks coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Milanovich would be a well-regarded head coaching candidate should he ever return north.

Corey Chamblin

Chamblin went 29-34 as the head coach of the Saskatchewan Roughriders from 2012-2015, a tenure that was highlighted by a Grey Cup championship in 2013. Winning another Grey Cup as Toronto?s defensive coordinator in 2017, Chamblin left the club to become a quality control coach at the University of Arkansas.

Mark Washington

Washington has more than paid his dues, working in the CFL for the past 22 years as a player (1997-2007) and coach (2008-2018). Just finishing his fifth year as the Lions? defensive coordinator, Washington will be a candidate for his club?s head coaching vacancy as well as openings elsewhere.

Craig Dickenson

The older brother of Dave Dickenson has spent the past 19 years coaching in the CFL and NFL. Spending the past three years with Chris Jones in Saskatchewan, Dickenson could become the first special teams coordinator since Mike O?Shea to get a shot at wearing the big headset.

Marc Trestman

Fired by the Argonauts this past Saturday after a disastrous 2018 season, Trestman remains a well-respected head coach and three-time Grey Cup champion. Trestman will be paid the full value of his 2019 salary ? reportedly worth $600,000 ? but, at 62, may not have many coaching years left. There?s a good chance he?ll want to coach next season if an opportunity arises.

Kent Austin

Things ended poorly in Hamilton, but Austin is still a 55-year-old veteran coach with a history of success in the CFL. Austin wants to get back into coaching and has experience as a personnel guy ? there?s a chance we see him get another shot to build a winner.

Tommy Condell

Condell helped build a winner in Hamilton as the club?s offensive coordinator before resigning prior to the 2016 season. Spending the last two years in Toronto, Condell could get a look as head coach there or elsewhere in the league. Condell interviewed for the Alouettes? job twice last off-season.

Carson Walch

Walch left Edmonton after two seasons as the club?s offensive coordinator (2016-2017) to become the assistant receivers coach with the Philadelphia Eagles. If Walch could be lured back north, he could be in demand for his work in developing Mike Reilly and James Franklin.

Ryan Dinwiddie

Still just 37, Dinwiddie has served as Calgary?s quarterbacks coach for the past three seasons. It may be early for the former CFL pivot to receive serious head coaching interest, but Dinwiddie has a solid reputation and works very closely with Dave Dickenson. I?d bet on him becoming a CFL head coach within the next half-decade.
kkc60

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 08:41:27 PM »

Some baffling candidates on that list but that's nothing new from Hodge. His columns stink and this one is no exception. I mean, Dinwiddie...? And he can't even get LaPolice's tenure right (it was 2010-12).

His point on LaPolice being hamstrung by an inept GM isn't exactly inaccurate. However, I still don't see him as HC material. He seems best suited to a booth calling offense.
I don't mind Hodge's game summaries but besides that most if not all his articles are on par with something anyone on here could write. There used to be another guy on Twitter who ran Blue Bomber Buzz. His articles were always awesome.

The fact Hodge and a reporter like Dunk are even mentioned in the same breath is crazy
the paw

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:47:11 PM »

i doubt that Austin is considering a return to the CFL, given that he had to fire himself. 
I don't think Milanovich or Walch are coming back anytime soon.
I don't think Craig Dickenson wants the headache, he likes his off season too much.
Cory Chamblin has been a little bit erratic lately, quitting cold on the Argos, I'm not sure he gets a look. 

Other than that, it's a good list.  Dinwiddie might be a bit premature, but I think he is on that career path.  Also a little surprised Benevides didn't get a mention. 

grab grass 'n growl
rubanski

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 08:47:53 PM »

Are you joking? Joe Mack was a pathetic excuse of a GM who ran this team's talent in to the ground. It's not even a debatable issue.

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 08:53:17 PM »

Are you joking? Joe Mack was a pathetic excuse of a GM who ran this team's talent in to the ground. It's not even a debatable issue.

Nah. Apparently, you can't read or understand how a double negative works.

I agree with Hodge's assessment on Mack as it relates to LaPolice being hamstrung. Mack was a terrible GM and I wasn't disputing that. Huh
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:55:24 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 08:59:00 PM »

Other than that, it's a good list.  Dinwiddie might be a bit premature, but I think he is on that career path.  Also a little surprised Benevides didn't get a mention. 

My initial reaction to the Dinwiddie suggestion was to laugh it off, but I thought about it a bit, and he's operating in the best possible HC development situation under Huff and Dickenson, and while I agree it's a little too soon, it's definitely well within the realm of possibility.
bluebeard

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 11:58:10 PM »

i doubt that Austin is considering a return to the CFL, given that he had to fire himself. 
I don't think Milanovich or Walch are coming back anytime soon.
I don't think Craig Dickenson wants the headache, he likes his off season too much.
Cory Chamblin has been a little bit erratic lately, quitting cold on the Argos, I'm not sure he gets a look. 

Probably it had something to do with how Edmonton's defense played this season.
dd

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 01:53:37 AM »

Steinhauer will be Toronto's next HC, Washington BC's.
Jesse

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 04:05:51 AM »

My initial reaction to the Dinwiddie suggestion was to laugh it off, but I thought about it a bit, and he's operating in the best possible HC development situation under Huff and Dickenson, and while I agree it's a little too soon, it's definitely well within the realm of possibility.

Obviously it's too soon to talk about being an HC. He may start taking coordinator interviews soon. Especially if a guy he's worked with (ie. Claybrooks) gets the HC nod somewhere.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »

Sherman staying put in MTL, Maas remains in EDM.  So the only spots open are Toronto, BC and maybe SSK when we lay a beat down on them on Sunday...

That's a lot of candidates for a very few jobs...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 04:47:14 PM »

Sherman staying put in MTL, Maas remains in EDM.  So the only spots open are Toronto, BC and maybe SSK when we lay a beat down on them on Sunday...

That's a lot of candidates for a very few jobs...

Roll Eyes

Could you just not say crap like that? Sunday isn't going to be a cakewalk.

Anyway, I'm surprised Hodge made no mention of Khari Jones as a potential HC candidate. I'd slot him ahead of Dinwiddie and even some of those names down in the US (who I don't realistically see returning to Canada any time soon).

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »

Roll Eyes

Could you just not say crap like that? Sunday isn't going to be a cakewalk.

Anyway, I'm surprised Hodge made no mention of Khari Jones as a potential HC candidate. I'd slot him ahead of Dinwiddie and even some of those names down in the US (who I don't realistically see returning to Canada any time soon).

We're allowed to be confident in our team. We don't need to be scared before game day.

On the Khari Jones comment, I feel like he is having trouble maintaining an OC job, much less getting a promotion. He's not a young, up and comer like Dinwiddie.

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 05:05:47 PM »

We're allowed to be confident in our team. We don't need to be scared before game day.

On the Khari Jones comment, I feel like he is having trouble maintaining an OC job, much less getting a promotion. He's not a young, up and comer like Dinwiddie.

It's cocky to say there will be a beat-down and insinuate a coach will get fired. I never said anyone couldn't be confident in their team or that anyone should be scared. Where did you come up with that?

And you're right, but Jones is also OC in a garbage organization. He has more experience as a coach and, perhaps less importantly, a player. I just think Dinwiddie is being a bit oversold while Jones gets outright ignored.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: