Blue Bombers Forum
November 16, 2018, 04:02:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Top Player Awards  (Read 643 times)
Foxhound

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 06:45:10 PM »

Agreed 100% Harris had another great season, but in my mind you can't nominate the guy that set a Canadian record and then tell him that fact got passed over and he doesn't get selected as winner the of Top Canadian Award.

But Andrew Harris was more important to his team.

Undecided

Love them both! I'd rather Andrew Harris got it this year though. He's overdue to start losing a step. Meanwhile Brad Sinopoli's best year(s) should be to come.

Smiley

Radically Canadian!

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 06:51:56 PM »

But Andrew Harris was more important to his team.

Undecided

Love them both! I'd rather Andrew Harris got it this year though. He's overdue to start losing a step. Meanwhile Brad Sinopoli's best year(s) should be to come.

Smiley

Too late, Woli will beat out Sinopoli next year as the top Natl. receiver in the game.  Grin
blue girl

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 07:23:04 PM »

My picks are

Mitchell
Bighill
Harris
Bryant
Ward
Ward
Jones
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:20:21 PM by blue girl » Logged
GCn18

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »

I think the deciding factor is A. Harris probably represents about 30% of the Bomber offense. He also was the rushing leader and very active in the passing game. IMO that edges out Sinopoli.

If the award was most consistent Canadian I would go with Sinopoli. However, the award is most outstanding Canadian....therefore, Harris. I'm not trying to knock Sinopoli that's a lot of receptions, but let's face it...the vast majority were 5 yard curl routes. He has the lowest YPC average of any receiver in the top 10 and was the most targeted receiver in the league by a long shot, but only 3rd in yards. Sinopoli had a great year but was not the best at his position, Harris once again had an outstanding year and led the league at his position.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:47:02 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pigskin

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 07:55:52 PM »

AH has 1813 of combined yards and 11Td's. Sinopoli 1376 yards and 4 Td's. I am going with AH.
booch

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »

was just gonna say that....total yards and most importantly..TD's...also the fact that Harris is more important to the offence...I wouldn't even say Sinopoli is most important to his..I'd go with Powell or Spencer there
kkc60

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 08:36:26 PM »

My picks are

Mitchell
Bighill
Harris
Ward
Ward
Jones
No OL?
rubanski

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 08:46:03 PM »

The total yards is a noticeable difference.

The lack of TDs for Sinopli.

27 folks had more TDs than him this year.
2 receivers had more yards than him.
Harris was the league leader at his position.
the paw

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 08:59:59 PM »

The total yards is a noticeable difference.

The lack of TDs for Sinopli.

27 folks had more TDs than him this year.
2 receivers had more yards than him.
Harris was the league leader at his position.

Just to play devil's advocate:

1.  Total yds is a point in Harris' favour, but RBs always get more opportunities for both rushing and receiving yards, so its a bit apples and oranges.

2.  TDs is kind of a bogus stat when you are comparing RBs to WRs.  A WR can get an 80 yd reception, is hauled down on the 2, and then the RB plunges over in a couple of tries, and he's the productive one because he got the TD?   TDs are a fair comparison for receiver-to-receiver, but not really otherwise.

3.  Sinopoli was third alright, but the two ahead of him were absolute studs.  1000 yds is a really productive year for a receiver, 1300 is elite.

4.  Harris led the league, but only because Powell sat the last game.  And while almost 1400 yards is a great year for a RB, Harris' receiving numbers are down from last year. 1000 and 1000 is a lot more sexy than 1400 and 400.  So in a way, Harris suffers by comparison to himself from last year.

I am pleased if Harris wins, but this is a coin toss.  And given all the love Sinopoli gets from the media, and the fact Harris won last year, I think Sinopoli is going to get the nod. 

grab grass 'n growl
blue girl

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 11:21:26 PM »

My picks are

Mitchell
Bighill
Harris
Bryant
Ward
Ward
Jones
Oops sorry, fixed it.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2018, 06:48:38 AM »

I haven't seen BLM stink so badly since at least before 2016.  And he's the top QB and overall player?  I think Bighill and Harris are miles above BLM.  And BLM isn't even going to make it to the GC this year!!

Give the choices, I'd have to pick Masoli.  Even though he had "off" games, and didn't learn how to seal games until the middle of the season, I think he showed much more than BLM this year.

That... and they can't give it to BLM every year.  Cheesy
Jesse

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 12:15:28 PM »

Just to play devil's advocate:

1.  Total yds is a point in Harris' favour, but RBs always get more opportunities for both rushing and receiving yards, so its a bit apples and oranges.

2.  TDs is kind of a bogus stat when you are comparing RBs to WRs.  A WR can get an 80 yd reception, is hauled down on the 2, and then the RB plunges over in a couple of tries, and he's the productive one because he got the TD?   TDs are a fair comparison for receiver-to-receiver, but not really otherwise.

3.  Sinopoli was third alright, but the two ahead of him were absolute studs.  1000 yds is a really productive year for a receiver, 1300 is elite.

4.  Harris led the league, but only because Powell sat the last game.  And while almost 1400 yards is a great year for a RB, Harris' receiving numbers are down from last year. 1000 and 1000 is a lot more sexy than 1400 and 400.  So in a way, Harris suffers by comparison to himself from last year.

I am pleased if Harris wins, but this is a coin toss.  And given all the love Sinopoli gets from the media, and the fact Harris won last year, I think Sinopoli is going to get the nod. 

Not that I think it matters, but Sinopoli is in a passing offence that gets the ball out of the QBs hands and gets it to his receivers (especially to his top 3 weapons, all of whom were over 1000 yards and 80 receptions).

All of the award nominees are in offences that give them opportunities, so arguing that Harris got more opportunities for TDs is a little silly. Ottawa scores the vast majority of their TDs through the air. Winnipeg was much more balanced in their attack and have 20-something passing and rushing TDs.

For me, when I heard Sinopoli broke the reception record, figured Harris had no chance. The media hears a record like this and they can't help themselves. But if you look at their seasons, what they've done as individuals and what they mean for their teams, Harris has been better.

I haven't seen BLM stink so badly since at least before 2016.  And he's the top QB and overall player?  I think Bighill and Harris are miles above BLM.  And BLM isn't even going to make it to the GC this year!!

Give the choices, I'd have to pick Masoli.  Even though he had "off" games, and didn't learn how to seal games until the middle of the season, I think he showed much more than BLM this year.

That... and they can't give it to BLM every year.  Cheesy

This is a little silly. It wasn't the best season of Bo's career, but it was still better than any other QB this season with albothing but back up and replacement receivers.

And when you throw off comments like, "he's not even going to make the Grey Cup this year", I just can't take you seriously.

My wife is amazing!
GCn18

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »

Not that I think it matters, but Sinopoli is in a passing offence that gets the ball out of the QBs hands and gets it to his receivers (especially to his top 3 weapons, all of whom were over 1000 yards and 80 receptions).

All of the award nominees are in offences that give them opportunities, so arguing that Harris got more opportunities for TDs is a little silly. Ottawa scores the vast majority of their TDs through the air. Winnipeg was much more balanced in their attack and have 20-something passing and rushing TDs.

For me, when I heard Sinopoli broke the reception record, figured Harris had no chance. The media hears a record like this and they can't help themselves. But if you look at their seasons, what they've done as individuals and what they mean for their teams, Harris has been better.

This is a little silly. It wasn't the best season of Bo's career, but it was still better than any other QB this season with albothing but back up and replacement receivers.

And when you throw off comments like, "he's not even going to make the Grey Cup this year", I just can't take you seriously.

Imo, BLM took Calgary on his back through 2/3rds of the season and got them the incredible record they had. I think this is the most vulnerable Calgary squad in many years and without BLM, I'm not sure they make the playoffs.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 03:02:17 AM »

That's why I said MOP should go to a non-QB player this year, like Bighill.  No QB was as good this year as Reilly was last year.  Not even close.  Not even remotely close.  By BLM's standards, his year stunk, and whether there's injury excuses or not, that doesn't factor into a MOP nod.  If injuries were a factor, then Masoli should get it even though he stunk every time Banks was missing.

Game in, game out, I'd say Bighill made more of an impact than BLM did.

And I'm extremely confident in my prediction CGY doesn't make it to the cup.  Heck, even if (heaven forbid!) SSK should win the WSF, they'll probably beat CGY.  Just like BLM can't win MOP every year, neither should CGY get to the GC every year.  The air has got to come out of the tires sometime.  And too many devastating GC losses where their players are crying on camera after can really affect a team and ruin their mojo.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: