Blue Bombers Forum
November 16, 2018, 04:01:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should the CFL change its playoff format?
Yes - 25 (52.1%)
No - 23 (47.9%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick survey about playoff format  (Read 792 times)
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 11:24:13 PM »

The reality is that the west has been dominant for decades and there's been no substantive move to alter the playoffs to ensure the best teams are in. Sure there have been some dominant East teams. The Calvillo Alouettes and Flutie Argos come to mind. The 2001 Bombers, too. Rarely has there been two East teams who are powerhouses together.

We've seen pre- crossover disasters. The 1981 Ottawa Rough Riders HOSTING a playoff game at 5-11. Montreal had 4 wins and Toronto had 2! Of course that Ottawa team nearly won the whole thing that year. Saskatchewan (9 wins) and Calgary (7 wins) both missed out.

Then there was the 1986 season and the goofiest of all playoffs. Four West teams were in and two East teams qualified. There were no byes. Huh?

The West played 1v4 and 2v3. The East played a two-game total points series. So, both East teams got two games and a home game. No one got a bye. The Grey Cup participants were determined by two different systems. And, the Grey Cup champions (Hamilton) actually lost a playoff game! Hamilton lost the first game of the two-game series. IIRC the second game actually went to overtime because the points were tied as a combination of the two games. The only time a team won by 14 and had to play overtime. Beyond crazy.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:27:21 PM by Blue In Edmonton » Logged

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Leroy

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:01 AM »

I'm for a single division, top 6 teams make it. It's the fairest system and it means more meaningful games at the end of the year.

BC/Cgy was the only game that mattered last week, and it only mattered to one team. If we had the top 6 format, all the games would still have some meaning in the standings. Edmonton and Hamilton would be playing for their playoff lives. Ottawa and Winnipeg would be playing to see who was 3rd or 4th. If Ottawa lost, BC might even have had something to play for.

We already play every team twice. A change to a single division simply means that teams don't necessarily play both our 'extra' games specifically against western or eastern opponents. 

Keeping the worst teams in the playoffs longer doesn't impress me much, neither does giving teams an advantage simply because they happen to physically be in the east.

You are not really factoring in the economic reality.

Nobody said it was fair.
TBURGESS

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »

You are not really factoring in the economic reality.

Nobody said it was fair.
I'm dismissing the economic argument as bunk.

The reality is that Eastern teams don't need to be as competitive to make the playoffs, so they aren't. Change the playoff format and they have to become more competitive or they won't get a home game and might miss the playoffs.

Teams, east or west, who are really bad like Montreal and Toronto this year, will be out of the playoffs early in either scenario. The last two teams to make the playoffs will still be in the hunt until the last couple of weeks in either scenario so fan interest should be any different. The real difference is that some eastern teams won't get a home game that they haven't earned and I'm good with that.

Being right never gets old.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2018, 02:58:45 PM »

I used to really be for pumping the weak East's tires to help promote the league out there, out of fear they would just lose interest. But after Toronto got gifted another Grey Cup last year (their second in 5 years) and they still couldn't sell a ticket to save their lives, I was officially done.

We need to do the right thing.
GCn18

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »

How does the CFL expect to be taken seriously by Eastern fans when they don't even make an effort to have the best teams in the playoffs. Their pandering to the Eastern fans probably loses them more credibility.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »

A team that wins its first 10 games, and loses out the season because they fall apart vs. a team that loses the first 10 and wins out because they come together... 10-8 vs 8-10, which deserves more to be in the playoffs?  Which is going to go further in the playoffs?

Getting hot at the right moment is key in post season play, and why not give every team a shot, 9 (10) teams, 8 teams get a post season shot.  1 vs. 8 should be a cakewalk if 1 actually has their team running like a #1 seed...  but then again, any given sunday...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 04:31:06 PM »

A team that wins its first 10 games, and loses out the season because they fall apart vs. a team that loses the first 10 and wins out because they come together... 10-8 vs 8-10, which deserves more to be in the playoffs?  Which is going to go further in the playoffs?

Getting hot at the right moment is key in post season play, and why not give every team a shot, 9 (10) teams, 8 teams get a post season shot.  1 vs. 8 should be a cakewalk if 1 actually has their team running like a #1 seed...  but then again, any given sunday...

There is a great deal of absurdity in this post, but I suspect you know that and did so on purpose. However, as we all know, two points is two points, whether earned in June or November. If you're 10-8, no matter how you achieved it, you're more deserving than if you're 8-10.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
theaardvark

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »

There is a great deal of absurdity in this post, but I suspect you know that and did so on purpose. However, as we all know, two points is two points, whether earned in June or November. If you're 10-8, no matter how you achieved it, you're more deserving than if you're 8-10.

But that isn't my point.  Yes, 2 points is 2 points, however/whenever it was gained.  My point was that record means nothing in a one game, winner takes all situation.  The hot team wins.  Look at the past few GC's... the better record did not win out...

Better record should get you better seeding, but after that, its the currently best team that most often wins.  Even if they are only the best team for that one day...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: