Blue Bombers Forum
November 17, 2018, 05:22:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should the CFL change its playoff format?
Yes - 25 (52.1%)
No - 23 (47.9%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick survey about playoff format  (Read 804 times)
jeremy q public

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »

It used to be best 2 out of 3 games in the west and 2 game total point in the east.

I actually like this a lot, for two reasons. I've been saying for years that one reason for the Bomber's long Grey Cup drought is due to the random nature of requiring only one playoff loss for elimination. Any team will have an off game. There have been multiple years where we might have won the Cup if we had only had a best of series, like all other sports have.

It's not just good for our team, it would be good for the game. The best team would have a higher chance of actually winning the Cup.
theaardvark

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 05:19:49 PM »

So, if we went 6 best teams... this year would be:

CGY / SSK get byes

OTT hosts EDM
WPG hosts BC

CGY hosts winner of WPG/BC
SSK hosts winner of OTT/EDM

That sound about right?  Does EDM in over HAM make a big difference?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 05:24:19 PM »

So, if the goal to remain relevant in eastern Canada is perpetuated by having an unbalanced playoff structure, and that goal is still not being attained, then perhaps it's time to change the strategy.

As I read more and more posts here, my earlier suggestion of keeping a second eastern team seems somewhat offside with some other thoughts.

In the last week this season, Edmonton chose to play their starters in a meaningless game. Hamilton chose to play backups for much of a meaningless game. In a 1-6 format, that final game would have decided which of those two was in, and which one was out. Hamilton held the HTH tiebreaker with Edmonton, so a tie in the standings would have got them in. It would have given the CFL 3 meaningful games in the final weekend instead of 1. The fans who bought tickets for the Hamilton game would have had meaningful football to watch.

I would hope that the goal for the league is to have as many meaningful games played ANYWHERE as much as is possible.

I know we are a small league with a long East/West championship game tradition. But let's be honest, with Winnipeg in the east for so many years, we had several Grey Cups without an eastern team. The name of the division did not make Winnipeg an eastern team. During our time in the east, we played every other western team in the Grey Cup at least once:

BC (88/11)
Edmonton (90/93)
Calgary (92/01)
Sask (07)

In 88, 01 and 07 we even played those games in eastern stadiums. The league didn't crumble. Eastern fans didn't run away in droves.

The NFL has had Super Bowls played without wide geographic disparity:

San Francisco/San Diego
Chicago/Indianapolis
NY Giants/New England
NY Giants/Buffalo
Philadelphia/New England

The league doesn't crumble because there was no west coast/east coast/Midwestern/southern team in the big game from one year to the next.

If our league cannot survive a matchup between geographic rivals in the Grey Cup, then we don't have much of a league.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:29:54 PM by Blue In Edmonton » Logged

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »

So, if we went 6 best teams... this year would be:

CGY / SSK get byes

OTT hosts EDM
WPG hosts BC

CGY hosts winner of WPG/BC
SSK hosts winner of OTT/EDM

That sound about right?  Does EDM in over HAM make a big difference?

I'd have a re-seed for the two semi-final gams. Calgary hosting the lowest (worst) remaining seed. Saskatchewan hosting the highest (best) remaining seed. The Ottawa/Edmonton game could have ended up being Ottawa/Hamilton as Hamilton would have had something to play for in their last game and owned the tiebreaker over Edmonton.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »

I actually like this a lot, for two reasons. I've been saying for years that one reason for the Bomber's long Grey Cup drought is due to the random nature of requiring only one playoff loss for elimination. Any team will have an off game. There have been multiple years where we might have won the Cup if we had only had a best of series, like all other sports have.

It's not just good for our team, it would be good for the game. The best team would have a higher chance of actually winning the Cup.

There are a few downside problems with this format. The games were often played in about a week in total IIRC. In the west that could have meant a Sunday, Wednesday and Sunday if it went to 3 games.

That was when rosters were only 32 players and injuries and being beat up was not a good thing. Also in the west it could have meant 2 home games in a week which might have been expensive for fans. OTOH an exciting time.

Not sure how they distributed playoff monies or how players felt about " extra " games in the season.

No more excuses.
Foxhound

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »

Change it. Top 6 teams.

Ridiculously many. Why give so many "also-rans" a second chance?

Huh

Radically Canadian!

theaardvark

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »

Or we could eliminate the bye, and make it 1 vs. 8, etc like the NHL...

And Montreal wouldn't have to worry about the playoffs...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Horseman

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »

Balanced schedule, every team plays a home and home vs the other, top 6 teams get in regardless of their geographic position in canada. Reward good performance in season and quit rewarding teams with inferior records especially when they've played inferior teams for the bulk of their season. Level the playing field, everyone plays a home and home, top teams get in, every game is important then

I agree with this.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 07:12:54 PM »

I personally see nothing changing as far as the division format goes. Especially now that the league is expecting a tenth franchise.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
blue girl

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 07:50:51 PM »

I just feel that something has to be done. Right now there is no incentive for eastern teams to be more competitive if they can get a home playoff game with an 8-10 record.
blue newt

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 09:47:18 PM »

I'm going to agree with the current format, even if that's the unpopular answer.

I'd rather a Canadian league than a west-centric league.  The attitude that "well, if they aren't good, maybe they shouldn't have a team" is short sighted.  If the league loses Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa (I see Hamilton as sticking around more so than the others), then you can write the league off.  Sure, it may resurface as a western Canada-only league, but the quality would drop considerably as TV deals would be reduced, and interest would be minimized.  Does it suck to not make the playoffs when a worse team does?  Of course.  Would it suck to lose the league?  Even more so.  Other sport leagues work in divisions and have teams with lesser records making playoffs.  It's not unique to the CFL.  Just with fewer teams, it's more glaringly obvious.

Also, if you are going to call it an Eastern Semi Final, no, you cannot host it in BC.  This gives the east an equal bump in financials from hosting 2 playoff games, just as the west gets the same bump.  Constantly pulling the eastern teams to playoff games in the west is not going to help generate interest for those teams.

I think a big picture approach is best, rather than just focusing on "fairness".  Is it fair that a higher ranked team doesn't have a playoff game when a lower ranked team does?  No.  But, as my momma always told me, "Life isn't fair."  Sometimes, it's equitable.
theaardvark

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 10:06:42 PM »

I'm going to agree with the current format, even if that's the unpopular answer.

I'd rather a Canadian league than a west-centric league.  The attitude that "well, if they aren't good, maybe they shouldn't have a team" is short sighted.  If the league loses Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa (I see Hamilton as sticking around more so than the others), then you can write the league off.  Sure, it may resurface as a western Canada-only league, but the quality would drop considerably as TV deals would be reduced, and interest would be minimized.  Does it suck to not make the playoffs when a worse team does?  Of course.  Would it suck to lose the league?  Even more so.  Other sport leagues work in divisions and have teams with lesser records making playoffs.  It's not unique to the CFL.  Just with fewer teams, it's more glaringly obvious.

Also, if you are going to call it an Eastern Semi Final, no, you cannot host it in BC.  This gives the east an equal bump in financials from hosting 2 playoff games, just as the west gets the same bump.  Constantly pulling the eastern teams to playoff games in the west is not going to help generate interest for those teams.

I think a big picture approach is best, rather than just focusing on "fairness".  Is it fair that a higher ranked team doesn't have a playoff game when a lower ranked team does?  No.  But, as my momma always told me, "Life isn't fair."  Sometimes, it's equitable.

Its not always going to be the west being better than the east.  Things change...

jeremy q public

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 10:13:14 PM »

Yes yes, but is it really helping those teams to have them make the playoffs when everyone knows they don't deserve to be there? Is that the thing that's keeping them afloat?

I haven't read anything about the SMS change to include coaches and other staff in the SMS, but I'd reckon the strategy there is that it will help even out the playing field for the East teams with less cash. This strikes me as a strategy that will work. I don't really know that this playoff strategy accomplishes much.
jeremy q public

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2018, 10:34:34 PM »

Its not always going to be the west being better than the east.  Things change...

People say that. They said it on the 1290 program. But over the last 30-40 years, it's been relatively consistent that the West is significantly better than the East. Some years they're even, most years the West is better. Why should we believe it's about to change any time soon? If it does change, it'll just be even for a while, and then go back to the West being better again.
TBURGESS

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2018, 11:11:45 PM »

I'm for a single division, top 6 teams make it. It's the fairest system and it means more meaningful games at the end of the year.

BC/Cgy was the only game that mattered last week, and it only mattered to one team. If we had the top 6 format, all the games would still have some meaning in the standings. Edmonton and Hamilton would be playing for their playoff lives. Ottawa and Winnipeg would be playing to see who was 3rd or 4th. If Ottawa lost, BC might even have had something to play for.

We already play every team twice. A change to a single division simply means that teams don't necessarily play both our 'extra' games specifically against western or eastern opponents. 

Keeping the worst teams in the playoffs longer doesn't impress me much, neither does giving teams an advantage simply because they happen to physically be in the east.

Being right never gets old.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: