Blue Bombers Forum
November 17, 2018, 05:21:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should the CFL change its playoff format?
Yes - 25 (52.1%)
No - 23 (47.9%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick survey about playoff format  (Read 802 times)
Jesse

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 12:33:26 PM »

I can see why the league wants to keep 2 teams from the east in the playoffs but I don't agree that Hamilton should get a home playoff game with a weaker record.

This is the biggest sticking point for me. When weaker teams get the home play off game. And there's no way around it with the cross over.

My wife is amazing!
WpgGuyInToronto

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »

This is the biggest sticking point for me. When weaker teams get the home play off game. And there's no way around it with the cross over.
This is the one thing that really bothers me. The crossover team with the better record should be awarded the home playoff game.I love the east vs west like any other diehard CFL fan but until we get a 10th team I'd like a one division league with top 6 teams making it.

#1 Bomber fan in Tdot
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »

The format makes no sense. At some point, enough people will ask questions like why do we spend all this time, effort and money to attend regular season games when the outcome doesn't always have an impact on playoff seeding. Why does Edmonton miss the playoffs but a team with a worse record get to host a playoff game? Last year the Bombers had the second best record in the CFL and got to play the team with the third-best record. Meanwhile, the eventual Grey Cup Champions at 9-9 got a bye and a home playoff game in the East Final. You might as well run a lottery for the top 6 teams (ala Soccer groupings) because your regular season record obviously has very little to do with where you actually fit into the post-season allotment.
Tehedra

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »

This is the one thing that really bothers me. The crossover team with the better record should be awarded the home playoff game.I love the east vs west like any other diehard CFL fan but until we get a 10th team I'd like a one division league with top 6 teams making it.

The problem with this is then the fourth place team gets a home play off game while the third place team doesn't. 
trapper

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »

The ONLY reason we are still debating this question is because unfortunately the east has been so weak and they are also struggling with attendance and finances.  IF the league was as financially strong in the east as it is in the west they would have made this change years ago.  But, because they need to provide more opportunities for "home games" and better TV ratings, the league will not make the change.

The way the standings have been for the past long time it should be top 6 teams.  Top 2 get a bye.  Next 2 host games. 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5.

Now, I will say I DO like having two divisions and I do like having east vs west Grey Cup.  If there was truly league wide parity we could still do that.  But there is not.

drahgon

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 01:43:07 PM »

One division league, top 6 get in.
Doublezero

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »

The 2-game total points playoff format existed in both divisions. As well as being fun and exciting, both qualifying teams in each division got a home game.

Here's West Division playoff results 1966 for the team that happened to win the cup that year:

West Final 1    Sun, Nov 13    vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers    14?7    Win    14,013    1?0
West Final 2    Wed, Nov 16    at Winnipeg Blue Bombers    21?19 Win    13,624    2?0
Grey Cup            Sat, Nov 26     Ottawa Rough Riders            29?14    Win    36,553    3?0

Just gimme the rock.
Nic16

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »

I highly doubt the old school CFL will ever change to one division, but when a team with a sub .500 record get all the benefits of a home play game in a 9 team league the system does need some tweaking.

Division winners get the bye (keeps the East v West GC hope alive)

2nd place teams get a playoff spot (because this is what the CFL wants) and the crossover remains. However, I?d add in a seeding element.

This is what you end up with:

Ham @ Sask (winner at OTT)
BC @ Wpg (winner at Calg)

The East still has 2 shots to get into the GC and the teams that deserve a home playoff date get one.
Blue In BC

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »

The 2-game total points playoff format existed in both divisions. As well as being fun and exciting, both qualifying teams in each division got a home game.

Here's West Division playoff results 1966 for the team that happened to win the cup that year:

West Final 1    Sun, Nov 13    vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers    14?7    Win    14,013    1?0
West Final 2    Wed, Nov 16    at Winnipeg Blue Bombers    21?19 Win    13,624    2?0
Grey Cup            Sat, Nov 26     Ottawa Rough Riders            29?14    Win    36,553    3?0

It used to be best 2 out of 3 games in the west and 2 game total point in the east.

No more excuses.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »

Same qualification method.

Division winners get byes and home game.

Next 4 teams are seeded 1-4. 1v4. 2v3. 1 and 2 get home games.

In 2018:

Calgary and Ottawa get byes and host division finals.

Hamilton at Saskatchewan
BC at Winnipeg

Calgary hosts lowest ranked winner. Ottawa hosts highest ranked winner.

Must have at least one eastern playoff host each year.

Could do the same as a "top 6" playoff, but this gives 2 eastern teams a shot and still keeps an emphasis on winning games in your division.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Jesse

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 04:37:47 PM »

The format makes no sense. At some point, enough people will ask questions like why do we spend all this time, effort and money to attend regular season games when the outcome doesn't always have an impact on playoff seeding. Why does Edmonton miss the playoffs but a team with a worse record get to host a playoff game? Last year the Bombers had the second best record in the CFL and got to play the team with the third-best record. Meanwhile, the eventual Grey Cup Champions at 9-9 got a bye and a home playoff game in the East Final. You might as well run a lottery for the top 6 teams (ala Soccer groupings) because your regular season record obviously has very little to do with where you actually fit into the post-season allotment.

The one thing I will say is that both Edmonton and Hamilton were 8-10 going into the last week of these season. They then approached those games very differently. It's not like they were superior to Hamilton over the course of the season. Same with BC, really.

My wife is amazing!
GCn18

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »

Right now all teams play 2 games against each opponent and one extra random divisional game. There effectively is no East or West division. It makes zero sense to suggest any team with a worse record should get a playoff spot based solely on geography. When the 5th East team comes in then you can set up divisions with teams in both divisions playing their games against their division rivals and throw out the crossover altogether. Until then, they should operate as one league and just randomly pick the extra game opponent for each team. 1-6 make it based on record. PERIOD. Anything else is unfair. The league provides a HUGE bias to the East right now.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »

The one thing I will say is that both Edmonton and Hamilton were 8-10 going into the last week of these season. They then approached those games very differently. It's not like they were superior to Hamilton over the course of the season. Same with BC, really.

So not only was Hamilton 8-9 going into the final game of the season, they were also afforded the luxury of resting players and losing their final home game of the year because they had 'earned' a home playoff game already. That's horribly broken. They have the worst record of all playoff teams (even at 9-9 had they won their last game) and they're still hosting a playoff game against another 9-9 team. The Bombers at 10-8 get to play the 12-6 Riders.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 05:00:42 PM »

Right now all teams play 2 games against each opponent and one extra random divisional game. There effectively is no East or West division. It makes zero sense to suggest any team with a worse record should get a playoff spot based solely on geography. When the 5th East team comes in then you can set up divisions with teams in both divisions playing their games against their division rivals and throw out the crossover altogether. Until then, they should operate as one league and just randomly pick the extra game opponent for each team. 1-6 make it based on record. PERIOD. Anything else is unfair. The league provides a HUGE bias to the East right now.

That's a given and it has been acknowledged for years, the CFL's biggest challenge is to remain relevant in Eastern Canada.  Keeping the playoff structure "as is" is one of the tools they have used to keep the spotlight turned on the CFL during the post-season play, with a modest amount of success but mostly indifference. 
jeremy q public

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »

I have to agree with this. In a vacuum, it makes the most sense to do a one division league. It would result in better football in the play offs than we see currently. As a fan, I would prefer it.

However, we're trying to encourage football in the Eastern markets, not further alienate the fans. I don't think it's something the league can do at this time.

I totally agree with this and have been saying it for years. But it bugged me to hear these guys act like it's just the vocal minority who want to change it, with no evidence to back them up. Clearly, this poll is not the most scientifically valid test ever, but it gives a bit of an indication at least, that the fans don't particularly like the weird playoff situations that result almost every year from our current setup.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: