Blue Bombers Forum
November 17, 2018, 07:23:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should the CFL change its playoff format?
Yes - 25 (52.1%)
No - 23 (47.9%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick survey about playoff format  (Read 806 times)
jeremy q public

« on: November 07, 2018, 10:11:16 PM »

They were discussing the playoff format on 1290 today and someone said they figured the majority of fans want the format to stay the same. I figured we should test that theory.

Winnipeg might be a biased market to ask in, because in some ways we have the most to gain from a change. We're currently in third place in the league so it's kind of unfair that we don't have a home playoff game. We've got arguably the toughest playoff road ahead of us, playing all the best teams in the league, all the way through on the road, whereas BC gets to try out the soft East division.

We've also been in the East division for many years in the past, so it's not like we have no history with those teams.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:12:56 PM by jeremy q public » Logged
RebusRankin

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:59:24 PM »

Change it. Top 6 teams.
dd

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:02:26 PM »

agreed, top teams should get in, even if it means 2 teams cross over from the west
Leroy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 11:04:23 PM »

In principle I agree.

The reality is exactly what Westwood said (a guy I rarely agree with). The CFL needs Eastern teams in the running for playoff spots as deep into the season or nobody is coming.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 11:04:46 PM »

Change it for heavens sake. Top 6.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
dd

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 11:42:04 PM »

In principle I agree.

The reality is exactly what Westwood said (a guy I rarely agree with). The CFL needs Eastern teams in the running for playoff spots as deep into the season or nobody is coming.

I don?t buy that for a second. Football fans are football fans, if the 2 best teams are in it, people are going to the game.
Leroy

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 11:55:57 PM »

I don?t buy that for a second. Football fans are football fans, if the 2 best teams are in it, people are going to the game.

No idea what you are talking about.

One division is less chance for an Eastern team to get in, or be close to getting in.
Doublezero

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:58:38 PM »

Do you really need 6 teams in a 9 team league to make the playoffs?
In the old days only 4 teams made the playoffs - 2 East 2 West.
The 2 West teams played each other twice in a total points playoff series.
The 2 East teams played each other twice in a total points playoff series.
Team with most points from each side in those 2 playoff games goes on to the Cup.
That was fun since you could have a team lose the first game but win big-time in the next head-to-head a week later.
Of course if that format was in place today, then Winnipeg and BC both would be out of the playoffs.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:00:12 AM by Doublezero » Logged

Just gimme the rock.
dd

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 01:51:59 AM »

Balanced schedule, every team plays a home and home vs the other, top 6 teams get in regardless of their geographic position in canada. Reward good performance in season and quit rewarding teams with inferior records especially when they've played inferior teams for the bulk of their season. Level the playing field, everyone plays a home and home, top teams get in, every game is important then
Jesse

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 01:57:26 AM »

In principle I agree.

I have to agree with this. In a vacuum, it makes the most sense to do a one division league. It would result in better football in the play offs than we see currently. As a fan, I would prefer it.

However, we're trying to encourage football in the Eastern markets, not further alienate the fans. I don't think it's something the league can do at this time.

My wife is amazing!
Pigskin

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 03:29:31 AM »

Top 6.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 03:41:44 AM »

I have to agree with this. In a vacuum, it makes the most sense to do a one division league. It would result in better football in the play offs than we see currently. As a fan, I would prefer it.

However, we're trying to encourage football in the Eastern markets, not further alienate the fans. I don't think it's something the league can do at this time.

+1, even though I hate that that?s the reality.

Ideally, the East would just get its sh!t together and start being more competitive and we wouldn?t need this discussion.

I also really love the east vs west thing. Great tradition.
Sec223

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »

How about to keep weaker teams in a little longer the top 7 make it ? First place over-all gets the bye. After the first round re-rank. 1 plays 4. 2 plays 3.

Calgary Bye
Sask/Hamilton
Ott/Edm
Wpg/Bc

Waffler

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »

Top 6 is only fair with a balanced schedule. I prefer more western games like it is now. What's wrong with a "win in your division" philosophy? You know what you have to do from the get go, now get her done or go home.

Two game total points playoff series would never fly in this day and age although it was fun back in the day. I only remember it happening in the east, the west had a ridiculous 3 game playoff crammed into a tight time period which also could never happen today. So the system we use while not perfect is the best one I think.  When we get the 5th eastern team it should be changed to eliminate the crossover rule.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »

I can see why the league wants to keep 2 teams from the east in the playoffs but I don't agree that Hamilton should get a home playoff game with a weaker record.
Jesse

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 12:33:26 PM »

I can see why the league wants to keep 2 teams from the east in the playoffs but I don't agree that Hamilton should get a home playoff game with a weaker record.

This is the biggest sticking point for me. When weaker teams get the home play off game. And there's no way around it with the cross over.

My wife is amazing!
WpgGuyInToronto

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »

This is the biggest sticking point for me. When weaker teams get the home play off game. And there's no way around it with the cross over.
This is the one thing that really bothers me. The crossover team with the better record should be awarded the home playoff game.I love the east vs west like any other diehard CFL fan but until we get a 10th team I'd like a one division league with top 6 teams making it.

#1 Bomber fan in Tdot
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 01:31:41 PM »

The format makes no sense. At some point, enough people will ask questions like why do we spend all this time, effort and money to attend regular season games when the outcome doesn't always have an impact on playoff seeding. Why does Edmonton miss the playoffs but a team with a worse record get to host a playoff game? Last year the Bombers had the second best record in the CFL and got to play the team with the third-best record. Meanwhile, the eventual Grey Cup Champions at 9-9 got a bye and a home playoff game in the East Final. You might as well run a lottery for the top 6 teams (ala Soccer groupings) because your regular season record obviously has very little to do with where you actually fit into the post-season allotment.
Tehedra

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »

This is the one thing that really bothers me. The crossover team with the better record should be awarded the home playoff game.I love the east vs west like any other diehard CFL fan but until we get a 10th team I'd like a one division league with top 6 teams making it.

The problem with this is then the fourth place team gets a home play off game while the third place team doesn't. 
trapper

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »

The ONLY reason we are still debating this question is because unfortunately the east has been so weak and they are also struggling with attendance and finances.  IF the league was as financially strong in the east as it is in the west they would have made this change years ago.  But, because they need to provide more opportunities for "home games" and better TV ratings, the league will not make the change.

The way the standings have been for the past long time it should be top 6 teams.  Top 2 get a bye.  Next 2 host games. 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5.

Now, I will say I DO like having two divisions and I do like having east vs west Grey Cup.  If there was truly league wide parity we could still do that.  But there is not.

drahgon

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 01:43:07 PM »

One division league, top 6 get in.
Doublezero

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 01:46:10 PM »

The 2-game total points playoff format existed in both divisions. As well as being fun and exciting, both qualifying teams in each division got a home game.

Here's West Division playoff results 1966 for the team that happened to win the cup that year:

West Final 1    Sun, Nov 13    vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers    14?7    Win    14,013    1?0
West Final 2    Wed, Nov 16    at Winnipeg Blue Bombers    21?19 Win    13,624    2?0
Grey Cup            Sat, Nov 26     Ottawa Rough Riders            29?14    Win    36,553    3?0

Just gimme the rock.
Nic16

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 01:57:05 PM »

I highly doubt the old school CFL will ever change to one division, but when a team with a sub .500 record get all the benefits of a home play game in a 9 team league the system does need some tweaking.

Division winners get the bye (keeps the East v West GC hope alive)

2nd place teams get a playoff spot (because this is what the CFL wants) and the crossover remains. However, I?d add in a seeding element.

This is what you end up with:

Ham @ Sask (winner at OTT)
BC @ Wpg (winner at Calg)

The East still has 2 shots to get into the GC and the teams that deserve a home playoff date get one.
Blue In BC

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »

The 2-game total points playoff format existed in both divisions. As well as being fun and exciting, both qualifying teams in each division got a home game.

Here's West Division playoff results 1966 for the team that happened to win the cup that year:

West Final 1    Sun, Nov 13    vs. Winnipeg Blue Bombers    14?7    Win    14,013    1?0
West Final 2    Wed, Nov 16    at Winnipeg Blue Bombers    21?19 Win    13,624    2?0
Grey Cup            Sat, Nov 26     Ottawa Rough Riders            29?14    Win    36,553    3?0

It used to be best 2 out of 3 games in the west and 2 game total point in the east.

No more excuses.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »

Same qualification method.

Division winners get byes and home game.

Next 4 teams are seeded 1-4. 1v4. 2v3. 1 and 2 get home games.

In 2018:

Calgary and Ottawa get byes and host division finals.

Hamilton at Saskatchewan
BC at Winnipeg

Calgary hosts lowest ranked winner. Ottawa hosts highest ranked winner.

Must have at least one eastern playoff host each year.

Could do the same as a "top 6" playoff, but this gives 2 eastern teams a shot and still keeps an emphasis on winning games in your division.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Jesse

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 04:37:47 PM »

The format makes no sense. At some point, enough people will ask questions like why do we spend all this time, effort and money to attend regular season games when the outcome doesn't always have an impact on playoff seeding. Why does Edmonton miss the playoffs but a team with a worse record get to host a playoff game? Last year the Bombers had the second best record in the CFL and got to play the team with the third-best record. Meanwhile, the eventual Grey Cup Champions at 9-9 got a bye and a home playoff game in the East Final. You might as well run a lottery for the top 6 teams (ala Soccer groupings) because your regular season record obviously has very little to do with where you actually fit into the post-season allotment.

The one thing I will say is that both Edmonton and Hamilton were 8-10 going into the last week of these season. They then approached those games very differently. It's not like they were superior to Hamilton over the course of the season. Same with BC, really.

My wife is amazing!
GCn18

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »

Right now all teams play 2 games against each opponent and one extra random divisional game. There effectively is no East or West division. It makes zero sense to suggest any team with a worse record should get a playoff spot based solely on geography. When the 5th East team comes in then you can set up divisions with teams in both divisions playing their games against their division rivals and throw out the crossover altogether. Until then, they should operate as one league and just randomly pick the extra game opponent for each team. 1-6 make it based on record. PERIOD. Anything else is unfair. The league provides a HUGE bias to the East right now.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »

The one thing I will say is that both Edmonton and Hamilton were 8-10 going into the last week of these season. They then approached those games very differently. It's not like they were superior to Hamilton over the course of the season. Same with BC, really.

So not only was Hamilton 8-9 going into the final game of the season, they were also afforded the luxury of resting players and losing their final home game of the year because they had 'earned' a home playoff game already. That's horribly broken. They have the worst record of all playoff teams (even at 9-9 had they won their last game) and they're still hosting a playoff game against another 9-9 team. The Bombers at 10-8 get to play the 12-6 Riders.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 05:00:42 PM »

Right now all teams play 2 games against each opponent and one extra random divisional game. There effectively is no East or West division. It makes zero sense to suggest any team with a worse record should get a playoff spot based solely on geography. When the 5th East team comes in then you can set up divisions with teams in both divisions playing their games against their division rivals and throw out the crossover altogether. Until then, they should operate as one league and just randomly pick the extra game opponent for each team. 1-6 make it based on record. PERIOD. Anything else is unfair. The league provides a HUGE bias to the East right now.

That's a given and it has been acknowledged for years, the CFL's biggest challenge is to remain relevant in Eastern Canada.  Keeping the playoff structure "as is" is one of the tools they have used to keep the spotlight turned on the CFL during the post-season play, with a modest amount of success but mostly indifference. 
jeremy q public

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »

I totally agree with this and have been saying it for years. But it bugged me to hear these guys act like it's just the vocal minority who want to change it, with no evidence to back them up. Clearly, this poll is not the most scientifically valid test ever, but it gives a bit of an indication at least, that the fans don't particularly like the weird playoff situations that result almost every year from our current setup.
jeremy q public

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »

It used to be best 2 out of 3 games in the west and 2 game total point in the east.

I actually like this a lot, for two reasons. I've been saying for years that one reason for the Bomber's long Grey Cup drought is due to the random nature of requiring only one playoff loss for elimination. Any team will have an off game. There have been multiple years where we might have won the Cup if we had only had a best of series, like all other sports have.

It's not just good for our team, it would be good for the game. The best team would have a higher chance of actually winning the Cup.
theaardvark

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 05:19:49 PM »

So, if we went 6 best teams... this year would be:

CGY / SSK get byes

OTT hosts EDM
WPG hosts BC

CGY hosts winner of WPG/BC
SSK hosts winner of OTT/EDM

That sound about right?  Does EDM in over HAM make a big difference?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 05:24:19 PM »

So, if the goal to remain relevant in eastern Canada is perpetuated by having an unbalanced playoff structure, and that goal is still not being attained, then perhaps it's time to change the strategy.

As I read more and more posts here, my earlier suggestion of keeping a second eastern team seems somewhat offside with some other thoughts.

In the last week this season, Edmonton chose to play their starters in a meaningless game. Hamilton chose to play backups for much of a meaningless game. In a 1-6 format, that final game would have decided which of those two was in, and which one was out. Hamilton held the HTH tiebreaker with Edmonton, so a tie in the standings would have got them in. It would have given the CFL 3 meaningful games in the final weekend instead of 1. The fans who bought tickets for the Hamilton game would have had meaningful football to watch.

I would hope that the goal for the league is to have as many meaningful games played ANYWHERE as much as is possible.

I know we are a small league with a long East/West championship game tradition. But let's be honest, with Winnipeg in the east for so many years, we had several Grey Cups without an eastern team. The name of the division did not make Winnipeg an eastern team. During our time in the east, we played every other western team in the Grey Cup at least once:

BC (88/11)
Edmonton (90/93)
Calgary (92/01)
Sask (07)

In 88, 01 and 07 we even played those games in eastern stadiums. The league didn't crumble. Eastern fans didn't run away in droves.

The NFL has had Super Bowls played without wide geographic disparity:

San Francisco/San Diego
Chicago/Indianapolis
NY Giants/New England
NY Giants/Buffalo
Philadelphia/New England

The league doesn't crumble because there was no west coast/east coast/Midwestern/southern team in the big game from one year to the next.

If our league cannot survive a matchup between geographic rivals in the Grey Cup, then we don't have much of a league.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:29:54 PM by Blue In Edmonton » Logged

Posting Live From Home

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »

So, if we went 6 best teams... this year would be:

CGY / SSK get byes

OTT hosts EDM
WPG hosts BC

CGY hosts winner of WPG/BC
SSK hosts winner of OTT/EDM

That sound about right?  Does EDM in over HAM make a big difference?

I'd have a re-seed for the two semi-final gams. Calgary hosting the lowest (worst) remaining seed. Saskatchewan hosting the highest (best) remaining seed. The Ottawa/Edmonton game could have ended up being Ottawa/Hamilton as Hamilton would have had something to play for in their last game and owned the tiebreaker over Edmonton.

Posting Live From Home

Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »

I actually like this a lot, for two reasons. I've been saying for years that one reason for the Bomber's long Grey Cup drought is due to the random nature of requiring only one playoff loss for elimination. Any team will have an off game. There have been multiple years where we might have won the Cup if we had only had a best of series, like all other sports have.

It's not just good for our team, it would be good for the game. The best team would have a higher chance of actually winning the Cup.

There are a few downside problems with this format. The games were often played in about a week in total IIRC. In the west that could have meant a Sunday, Wednesday and Sunday if it went to 3 games.

That was when rosters were only 32 players and injuries and being beat up was not a good thing. Also in the west it could have meant 2 home games in a week which might have been expensive for fans. OTOH an exciting time.

Not sure how they distributed playoff monies or how players felt about " extra " games in the season.

No more excuses.
Foxhound

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »

Change it. Top 6 teams.

Ridiculously many. Why give so many "also-rans" a second chance?

Huh

Radically Canadian!

theaardvark

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »

Or we could eliminate the bye, and make it 1 vs. 8, etc like the NHL...

And Montreal wouldn't have to worry about the playoffs...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Horseman

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 07:03:14 PM »

Balanced schedule, every team plays a home and home vs the other, top 6 teams get in regardless of their geographic position in canada. Reward good performance in season and quit rewarding teams with inferior records especially when they've played inferior teams for the bulk of their season. Level the playing field, everyone plays a home and home, top teams get in, every game is important then

I agree with this.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 07:12:54 PM »

I personally see nothing changing as far as the division format goes. Especially now that the league is expecting a tenth franchise.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
blue girl

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 07:50:51 PM »

I just feel that something has to be done. Right now there is no incentive for eastern teams to be more competitive if they can get a home playoff game with an 8-10 record.
blue newt

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 09:47:18 PM »

I'm going to agree with the current format, even if that's the unpopular answer.

I'd rather a Canadian league than a west-centric league.  The attitude that "well, if they aren't good, maybe they shouldn't have a team" is short sighted.  If the league loses Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa (I see Hamilton as sticking around more so than the others), then you can write the league off.  Sure, it may resurface as a western Canada-only league, but the quality would drop considerably as TV deals would be reduced, and interest would be minimized.  Does it suck to not make the playoffs when a worse team does?  Of course.  Would it suck to lose the league?  Even more so.  Other sport leagues work in divisions and have teams with lesser records making playoffs.  It's not unique to the CFL.  Just with fewer teams, it's more glaringly obvious.

Also, if you are going to call it an Eastern Semi Final, no, you cannot host it in BC.  This gives the east an equal bump in financials from hosting 2 playoff games, just as the west gets the same bump.  Constantly pulling the eastern teams to playoff games in the west is not going to help generate interest for those teams.

I think a big picture approach is best, rather than just focusing on "fairness".  Is it fair that a higher ranked team doesn't have a playoff game when a lower ranked team does?  No.  But, as my momma always told me, "Life isn't fair."  Sometimes, it's equitable.
theaardvark

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 10:06:42 PM »

I'm going to agree with the current format, even if that's the unpopular answer.

I'd rather a Canadian league than a west-centric league.  The attitude that "well, if they aren't good, maybe they shouldn't have a team" is short sighted.  If the league loses Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa (I see Hamilton as sticking around more so than the others), then you can write the league off.  Sure, it may resurface as a western Canada-only league, but the quality would drop considerably as TV deals would be reduced, and interest would be minimized.  Does it suck to not make the playoffs when a worse team does?  Of course.  Would it suck to lose the league?  Even more so.  Other sport leagues work in divisions and have teams with lesser records making playoffs.  It's not unique to the CFL.  Just with fewer teams, it's more glaringly obvious.

Also, if you are going to call it an Eastern Semi Final, no, you cannot host it in BC.  This gives the east an equal bump in financials from hosting 2 playoff games, just as the west gets the same bump.  Constantly pulling the eastern teams to playoff games in the west is not going to help generate interest for those teams.

I think a big picture approach is best, rather than just focusing on "fairness".  Is it fair that a higher ranked team doesn't have a playoff game when a lower ranked team does?  No.  But, as my momma always told me, "Life isn't fair."  Sometimes, it's equitable.

Its not always going to be the west being better than the east.  Things change...

jeremy q public

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 10:13:14 PM »

Yes yes, but is it really helping those teams to have them make the playoffs when everyone knows they don't deserve to be there? Is that the thing that's keeping them afloat?

I haven't read anything about the SMS change to include coaches and other staff in the SMS, but I'd reckon the strategy there is that it will help even out the playing field for the East teams with less cash. This strikes me as a strategy that will work. I don't really know that this playoff strategy accomplishes much.
jeremy q public

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2018, 10:34:34 PM »

Its not always going to be the west being better than the east.  Things change...

People say that. They said it on the 1290 program. But over the last 30-40 years, it's been relatively consistent that the West is significantly better than the East. Some years they're even, most years the West is better. Why should we believe it's about to change any time soon? If it does change, it'll just be even for a while, and then go back to the West being better again.
TBURGESS

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2018, 11:11:45 PM »

I'm for a single division, top 6 teams make it. It's the fairest system and it means more meaningful games at the end of the year.

BC/Cgy was the only game that mattered last week, and it only mattered to one team. If we had the top 6 format, all the games would still have some meaning in the standings. Edmonton and Hamilton would be playing for their playoff lives. Ottawa and Winnipeg would be playing to see who was 3rd or 4th. If Ottawa lost, BC might even have had something to play for.

We already play every team twice. A change to a single division simply means that teams don't necessarily play both our 'extra' games specifically against western or eastern opponents. 

Keeping the worst teams in the playoffs longer doesn't impress me much, neither does giving teams an advantage simply because they happen to physically be in the east.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 11:24:13 PM »

The reality is that the west has been dominant for decades and there's been no substantive move to alter the playoffs to ensure the best teams are in. Sure there have been some dominant East teams. The Calvillo Alouettes and Flutie Argos come to mind. The 2001 Bombers, too. Rarely has there been two East teams who are powerhouses together.

We've seen pre- crossover disasters. The 1981 Ottawa Rough Riders HOSTING a playoff game at 5-11. Montreal had 4 wins and Toronto had 2! Of course that Ottawa team nearly won the whole thing that year. Saskatchewan (9 wins) and Calgary (7 wins) both missed out.

Then there was the 1986 season and the goofiest of all playoffs. Four West teams were in and two East teams qualified. There were no byes. Huh?

The West played 1v4 and 2v3. The East played a two-game total points series. So, both East teams got two games and a home game. No one got a bye. The Grey Cup participants were determined by two different systems. And, the Grey Cup champions (Hamilton) actually lost a playoff game! Hamilton lost the first game of the two-game series. IIRC the second game actually went to overtime because the points were tied as a combination of the two games. The only time a team won by 14 and had to play overtime. Beyond crazy.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:27:21 PM by Blue In Edmonton » Logged

Posting Live From Home

Leroy

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:01 AM »

I'm for a single division, top 6 teams make it. It's the fairest system and it means more meaningful games at the end of the year.

BC/Cgy was the only game that mattered last week, and it only mattered to one team. If we had the top 6 format, all the games would still have some meaning in the standings. Edmonton and Hamilton would be playing for their playoff lives. Ottawa and Winnipeg would be playing to see who was 3rd or 4th. If Ottawa lost, BC might even have had something to play for.

We already play every team twice. A change to a single division simply means that teams don't necessarily play both our 'extra' games specifically against western or eastern opponents. 

Keeping the worst teams in the playoffs longer doesn't impress me much, neither does giving teams an advantage simply because they happen to physically be in the east.

You are not really factoring in the economic reality.

Nobody said it was fair.
TBURGESS

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »

You are not really factoring in the economic reality.

Nobody said it was fair.
I'm dismissing the economic argument as bunk.

The reality is that Eastern teams don't need to be as competitive to make the playoffs, so they aren't. Change the playoff format and they have to become more competitive or they won't get a home game and might miss the playoffs.

Teams, east or west, who are really bad like Montreal and Toronto this year, will be out of the playoffs early in either scenario. The last two teams to make the playoffs will still be in the hunt until the last couple of weeks in either scenario so fan interest should be any different. The real difference is that some eastern teams won't get a home game that they haven't earned and I'm good with that.

Being right never gets old.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2018, 02:58:45 PM »

I used to really be for pumping the weak East's tires to help promote the league out there, out of fear they would just lose interest. But after Toronto got gifted another Grey Cup last year (their second in 5 years) and they still couldn't sell a ticket to save their lives, I was officially done.

We need to do the right thing.
GCn18

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 03:16:53 PM »

How does the CFL expect to be taken seriously by Eastern fans when they don't even make an effort to have the best teams in the playoffs. Their pandering to the Eastern fans probably loses them more credibility.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »

A team that wins its first 10 games, and loses out the season because they fall apart vs. a team that loses the first 10 and wins out because they come together... 10-8 vs 8-10, which deserves more to be in the playoffs?  Which is going to go further in the playoffs?

Getting hot at the right moment is key in post season play, and why not give every team a shot, 9 (10) teams, 8 teams get a post season shot.  1 vs. 8 should be a cakewalk if 1 actually has their team running like a #1 seed...  but then again, any given sunday...

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 04:31:06 PM »

A team that wins its first 10 games, and loses out the season because they fall apart vs. a team that loses the first 10 and wins out because they come together... 10-8 vs 8-10, which deserves more to be in the playoffs?  Which is going to go further in the playoffs?

Getting hot at the right moment is key in post season play, and why not give every team a shot, 9 (10) teams, 8 teams get a post season shot.  1 vs. 8 should be a cakewalk if 1 actually has their team running like a #1 seed...  but then again, any given sunday...

There is a great deal of absurdity in this post, but I suspect you know that and did so on purpose. However, as we all know, two points is two points, whether earned in June or November. If you're 10-8, no matter how you achieved it, you're more deserving than if you're 8-10.

Posting Live From Home

theaardvark

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »

There is a great deal of absurdity in this post, but I suspect you know that and did so on purpose. However, as we all know, two points is two points, whether earned in June or November. If you're 10-8, no matter how you achieved it, you're more deserving than if you're 8-10.

But that isn't my point.  Yes, 2 points is 2 points, however/whenever it was gained.  My point was that record means nothing in a one game, winner takes all situation.  The hot team wins.  Look at the past few GC's... the better record did not win out...

Better record should get you better seeding, but after that, its the currently best team that most often wins.  Even if they are only the best team for that one day...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: