Blue Bombers Forum
November 16, 2018, 04:02:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should the CFL change its playoff format?
Yes - 25 (52.1%)
No - 23 (47.9%)
Total Voters: 48

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick survey about playoff format  (Read 793 times)
jeremy q public

« on: November 07, 2018, 10:11:16 PM »

They were discussing the playoff format on 1290 today and someone said they figured the majority of fans want the format to stay the same. I figured we should test that theory.

Winnipeg might be a biased market to ask in, because in some ways we have the most to gain from a change. We're currently in third place in the league so it's kind of unfair that we don't have a home playoff game. We've got arguably the toughest playoff road ahead of us, playing all the best teams in the league, all the way through on the road, whereas BC gets to try out the soft East division.

We've also been in the East division for many years in the past, so it's not like we have no history with those teams.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:12:56 PM by jeremy q public » Logged
RebusRankin

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:59:24 PM »

Change it. Top 6 teams.
dd

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 11:02:26 PM »

agreed, top teams should get in, even if it means 2 teams cross over from the west
Leroy

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 11:04:23 PM »

In principle I agree.

The reality is exactly what Westwood said (a guy I rarely agree with). The CFL needs Eastern teams in the running for playoff spots as deep into the season or nobody is coming.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 11:04:46 PM »

Change it for heavens sake. Top 6.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
dd

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 11:42:04 PM »

In principle I agree.

The reality is exactly what Westwood said (a guy I rarely agree with). The CFL needs Eastern teams in the running for playoff spots as deep into the season or nobody is coming.

I don?t buy that for a second. Football fans are football fans, if the 2 best teams are in it, people are going to the game.
Leroy

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 11:55:57 PM »

I don?t buy that for a second. Football fans are football fans, if the 2 best teams are in it, people are going to the game.

No idea what you are talking about.

One division is less chance for an Eastern team to get in, or be close to getting in.
Doublezero

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:58:38 PM »

Do you really need 6 teams in a 9 team league to make the playoffs?
In the old days only 4 teams made the playoffs - 2 East 2 West.
The 2 West teams played each other twice in a total points playoff series.
The 2 East teams played each other twice in a total points playoff series.
Team with most points from each side in those 2 playoff games goes on to the Cup.
That was fun since you could have a team lose the first game but win big-time in the next head-to-head a week later.
Of course if that format was in place today, then Winnipeg and BC both would be out of the playoffs.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:00:12 AM by Doublezero » Logged

Just gimme the rock.
dd

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 01:51:59 AM »

Balanced schedule, every team plays a home and home vs the other, top 6 teams get in regardless of their geographic position in canada. Reward good performance in season and quit rewarding teams with inferior records especially when they've played inferior teams for the bulk of their season. Level the playing field, everyone plays a home and home, top teams get in, every game is important then
Jesse

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 01:57:26 AM »

In principle I agree.

I have to agree with this. In a vacuum, it makes the most sense to do a one division league. It would result in better football in the play offs than we see currently. As a fan, I would prefer it.

However, we're trying to encourage football in the Eastern markets, not further alienate the fans. I don't think it's something the league can do at this time.

My wife is amazing!
Pigskin

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 03:29:31 AM »

Top 6.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 03:41:44 AM »

I have to agree with this. In a vacuum, it makes the most sense to do a one division league. It would result in better football in the play offs than we see currently. As a fan, I would prefer it.

However, we're trying to encourage football in the Eastern markets, not further alienate the fans. I don't think it's something the league can do at this time.

+1, even though I hate that that?s the reality.

Ideally, the East would just get its sh!t together and start being more competitive and we wouldn?t need this discussion.

I also really love the east vs west thing. Great tradition.
Sec223

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »

How about to keep weaker teams in a little longer the top 7 make it ? First place over-all gets the bye. After the first round re-rank. 1 plays 4. 2 plays 3.

Calgary Bye
Sask/Hamilton
Ott/Edm
Wpg/Bc

Waffler

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »

Top 6 is only fair with a balanced schedule. I prefer more western games like it is now. What's wrong with a "win in your division" philosophy? You know what you have to do from the get go, now get her done or go home.

Two game total points playoff series would never fly in this day and age although it was fun back in the day. I only remember it happening in the east, the west had a ridiculous 3 game playoff crammed into a tight time period which also could never happen today. So the system we use while not perfect is the best one I think.  When we get the 5th eastern team it should be changed to eliminate the crossover rule.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »

I can see why the league wants to keep 2 teams from the east in the playoffs but I don't agree that Hamilton should get a home playoff game with a weaker record.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: