Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 01:14:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Streveler  (Read 2632 times)
kkc60

« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »

As opposed to those hell-bent on vilifying the organization for a personnel decision (see: TJ Thorpe, 2017) and vainly digging for storylines that simply don't exist (the team did Johnson dirty and now they're a weaker team for releasing him), not to mention overrating said player after he was benched.
I mean I would have tried to keep him. But I know the organization was backed into a corner. So saying the team is weaker for releasing him is a storyline that doesn't exist. (We are weaker btw. We literally have no dtackle depth) but yet saying he was lazy and wasn't following the scheme isn't.
GCn18

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2018, 07:22:24 PM »

I mean I would have tried to keep him. But I know the organization was backed into a corner. So saying the team is weaker for releasing him is a storyline that doesn't exist. (We are weaker btw. We literally have no dtackle depth) but yet saying he was lazy and wasn't following the scheme isn't.

Go fight it out with Irving and Brown then. They are the ones who said it. My goodness you got your crap tied in a knot over this don't you. Poop was not playing well....the proof....he lost his freaking job halfway through the season. What more proof do you need?

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
kkc60

« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2018, 07:42:37 PM »

Go fight it out with Irving and Brown then. They are the ones who said it. My goodness you got your crap tied in a knot over this don't you. Poop was not playing well....the proof....he lost his freaking job halfway through the season. What more proof do you need?
I'm not gonna fight it because they can say what they think just as I can. I hate when players are called lazy because frankly they aren't. And I don't think so. I just have my opinion as do others. Just cuz it's different doesn't mean i have my crap tied in a knot. I'm not the one who changed a thread about Streveler into one about Poop
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2018, 07:53:37 PM »

What's more odd is the people talking as if Johnson was some lazy dud. No one had an issue with Johnson but now that he's gone he didn't live up to expectations etc.

He did actually. Again, he is a pass rushing tackle. That doesn't fit our scheme and that's fair and fine. But as a pass rusher he was above all our ends except Jeffcoat in QB pressures according to Derek Taylor.

He didn't fit our scheme and that's valid. But he is a good football player and we have no proof he was or is lazy. You say it's odd people are defending him. I think it's odd people are still trying to find new ways to downplay his on-field impact and his ability

I won't speculate on his work ethic because that is not my place. I highly doubt he's lazy. I'm simply taking things at face value and going by what happened (he was benched for another player), and then concluding he didn't live up to expectation (that being getting better and more well-rounded as a player). As a sophomore, he didn't seem to get better and was eventually replaced.

It is possible to be one-dimensional and still good. QB pressure in pass rushing is a great attribute to have but it can't be all you have, especially if there's someone behind you chomping at the bit who's more versatile. And I agree: this doesn't make him a lazy dud.

And I said the over-the-top defense is what's odd, especially when you consider he'd been idle for well over two months prior to being released. He was removed from the AR prior to the LDC and nobody here really seemed to bat an eye over it. IIRC, there were one or two comments on him being less impactful this season. But he gets released weeks later and it's somehow the end of the world. Personally, I don't get it.

He requested his release. So, should the team have disregarded said request and kept him on the PR only to have end up disgruntled (or perhaps more disgruntled than he already was)? I don't think that's a reasonable approach. I'm sure the two parties sat down and discussed possible options, though.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2018, 08:07:49 PM »

I'm not gonna fight it because they can say what they think just as I can. I hate when players are called lazy because frankly they aren't. And I don't think so. I just have my opinion as do others. Just cuz it's different doesn't mean i have my crap tied in a knot. I'm not the one who changed a thread about Streveler into one about Poop

Well, c'mon. Lazy players exist. People lose their jobs all the time for not putting in the work.

My wife is amazing!
booch

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »

I won't speculate on his work ethic because that is not my place. I highly doubt he's lazy. I'm simply taking things at face value and going by what happened (he was benched for another player), and then concluding he didn't live up to expectation (that being getting better and more well-rounded as a player). As a sophomore, he didn't seem to get better and was eventually replaced.

It is possible to be one-dimensional and still good. QB pressure in pass rushing is a great attribute to have but it can't be all you have, especially if there's someone behind you chomping at the bit who's more versatile. And I agree: this doesn't make him a lazy dud.

And I said the over-the-top defense is what's odd, especially when you consider he'd been idle for well over two months prior to being released. He was removed from the AR prior to the LDC and nobody here really seemed to bat an eye over it. IIRC, there were one or two comments on him being less impactful this season. But he gets released weeks later and it's somehow the end of the world. Personally, I don't get it.

He requested his release. So, should the team have disregarded said request and kept him on the PR only to have end up disgruntled (or perhaps more disgruntled than he already was)? I don't think that's a reasonable approach. I'm sure the two parties sat down and discussed possible options, though.

Claims he requested it...or "informed" the team he was going to leave a month ago...didn't want to leave the team high and dry and loved his team and didn't want to leave them high and dry.. and didn't ask for it the day of his release.

He also claims it's a "grudge match and he's out for blood"
Claims the team talked to him about certain "things" and some "things" they didn't tell him and the certain things...whatever they were after a while he couldn't take it no more. Also claimed it wasn't a situation that he wasn't playing good...and says he kept hearing it was a business decision..so he had to make one to and says "I had to get my business outta there!"

To me sounds like a whiner and locker room disruption and one who has no issue screwing over teammates....so really...good riddance
TecnoGenius

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »

I don't see anyone defending Poop as an all-star player or anything.  Instead, I see people in two camps:

a) Poop is bad, or one-dimensional, or no-effort, or bad sophomore year, or beat out by Bryant, or similar retroactively negativity about his play that no one (fan forum or coaches) expressed (publicly) prior to his benching;
or
b) Puzzled, middle-ground people who didn't really notice any bad play, bad botches, or chatter about his play prior to his benching; and perhaps think there is more to the (off-field) story than anyone knows.  Doesn't mean his play wasn't up to snuff, just means we weren't aware of it.

Some of the new tidbits you guys are posting today help to flesh out the story a bit.  It seems more and more likely that there was some sort of falling out between Poop and someone/everyone.  Harris and many of the D guys were always very high on and friendly with "Poopman", and then they just went silent, like he ceased to exist, around the time he was benched.  That, along with MOS's loyalty, and the fact we have zero DT depth, means almost certainly there's more to the story than just poopy play.

I will go back to his last few games and watch his play.  Sure, I'm no film study genius, but I'm pretty good at focussing on one player or group to get a sense of how they're doing.  And I'm not ignorant about what a DT is supposed to be doing.  If the miserable OTT loss was his last game then perhaps his play there was the final straw and something will be visible.  Maybe that was MOS's version of "there will be consequences".
Ridermania

« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »

Johnson was relegated to the practice roster, where he waited for another chance to play. When that didn't materialize, he approached Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea about being released.

I didn't ask for it the day of my release, Johnson said. I told them about a month in advance because I was going to give them time to recruit somebody else to replace me.

I love my team and I wasn't going to leave them high and dry. I told them at the end of the month that I was getting out of there.

Johnson was released Oct. 30, allowing him to sign with any team because he was on the Blue Bombers practice roster as a free agent.

The Riders contacted Johnson and announced his signing on Nov. 2.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:38:00 PM by Ridermania » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2018, 09:16:18 PM »

I love my team and I wasn?t going to leave them high and dry. I told them at the end of the month that I was getting out of there.?

In other words, an ultimatum: get me back on the field by playoffs or I'm quitting.

I think we'd all be a lot happier if Poop had just been up front about defecting to the Riders, rather than his obviously lie about "wanting to go home".  It's his right as a PR benchwarmer to switch teams, he should have just said "I want to play, I want the game cheques, so I'm going where I'll get them".  How hard would that have been?  I would respect him a heck of a lot more had he done that.
Jesse

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »

Zero people are retroactively saying anything. Poop lost his job several games ago. We all know this. It's a pretty easy leap to assume he was unhappy being on the PR and found his way on to another team.

I don't find him classless or anything like that. But I am certainly noticing Bryant more than I did Johnson earlier in the season.

My wife is amazing!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: