Blue Bombers Forum
November 17, 2018, 05:22:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Streveler  (Read 2114 times)
the paw

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 03:15:36 PM »

Do we know for sure Streveler signed a two year contract, or is possible he signed for 3?  I can't find any indication on-line.

In any event, while I love the kid, the jury is still out on his ability to be a sufficiently precise passer over time.  (small sample, not-under-pressure stats notwithstanding).

There are very few QBs who carve out a long career as year-in, year-out rushing threats.  In modern times, I think Damon Allen, Tracy Ham and you could include Mike Reilly and maybe Kerry Joseph in that category.  I am talking about QBs who rush 650-1000 yds per season for several seasons.  And this is despite the fact that the NCAA graduates a bushel of talented running QBs every year.  Bottom line, you have to be able to be an accurate passer from in the pocket in addition to being a great run threat.

Streveler has the arm, he has the confidence, and he keeps his eyes downfield and these are all good signs. And he has made some good throws.  But I have also noticed (eyeball test), that his ball placement often tends to be on the outside of the receiver's catch radius, and he tends to throw shallower than Nichols in the same offence. 

My conclusion is that if Streveler does improve accuracy, he is certain to get an NFL shot.  If he doesn't, then while he will still parlay that into a starting gig in the CFL, he will struggle to dominate in the way we expect.  It will be interesting to watch. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 03:17:11 PM by the paw » Logged

grab grass 'n growl
BlueInCgy

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »

Nichols is a FA after next season, correct?

So either way, we're likely to lose one.  There are not enough good QBs out there, and if you figure Collaros, Lulay, and Ray (I'm only keeping him in this conversation because he isn't officially retired yet) probably don't have more than a year left in them (if they're lucky, Lulay and Ray could be done by the end of 2018, and Collaros has to start thinking about career options that don't result in a severely diminished quality of life down the road), and Manziel likely isn't going to live up to the hype, you've got four teams at least who won't have starters who are better than what is going to shake free from Winnipeg at the end of next season.

As nuts as this sounds, it might be the right year to trade Nichols in the off season.  I'm not saying it's the right idea, but if it's unlikely that we're going to be able to hold onto both, we might want to try and get something for one of them.
Donny C

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »

So either way, we're likely to lose one.  There are not enough good QBs out there, and if you figure Collaros, Lulay, and Ray (I'm only keeping him in this conversation because he isn't officially retired yet) probably don't have more than a year left in them (if they're lucky, Lulay and Ray could be done by the end of 2018, and Collaros has to start thinking about career options that don't result in a severely diminished quality of life down the road), and Manziel likely isn't going to live up to the hype, you've got four teams at least who won't have starters who are better than what is going to shake free from Winnipeg at the end of next season.

As nuts as this sounds, it might be the right year to trade Nichols in the off season.  I'm not saying it's the right idea, but if it's unlikely that we're going to be able to hold onto both, we might want to try and get something for one of them.

In a QB driven league, and seeing how other teams performed without a QB (and how WPG under-performed for many, many year) if I'm the GM I'm doing everything to sign BOTH!
BlueInCgy

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2018, 04:55:56 PM »

In a QB driven league, and seeing how other teams performed without a QB (and how WPG under-performed for many, many year) if I'm the GM I'm doing everything to sign BOTH!

I don't disagree with you, but to do that you'd likely have to sign Nichols to a ramp down contract and Streveler on a ramp up contract, and if Reilly goes for big bucks this year (which he will), Nichols is likely to get big(ger) money in 2020 (and I'm not equating Reilly and Nichols, but starting QB premium will be higher unless a whole bunch of lights out rookies show up in 2019), so managing an increase in Nichols salary and then ramping down while at the same time paying Streveler enough money to stick around is a very delicate balance.  Edmonton didn't/couldn't do it with Franklin, Toronto couldn't do it with Ray/Collaros/Harris, Hank had to step aside in Ottawa to give Harris his shot, etc.
Waffler

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2018, 04:59:54 PM »

It's a win now league.  Keep both through next year at least.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2018, 05:09:24 PM »

I don't disagree with you, but to do that you'd likely have to sign Nichols to a ramp down contract and Streveler on a ramp up contract, and if Reilly goes for big bucks this year (which he will), Nichols is likely to get big(ger) money in 2020 (and I'm not equating Reilly and Nichols, but starting QB premium will be higher unless a whole bunch of lights out rookies show up in 2019), so managing an increase in Nichols salary and then ramping down while at the same time paying Streveler enough money to stick around is a very delicate balance.  Edmonton didn't/couldn't do it with Franklin, Toronto couldn't do it with Ray/Collaros/Harris, Hank had to step aside in Ottawa to give Harris his shot, etc.

Agree, as long as O'Shea is the H.C. I don't expect the team to move on from Nichols anytime soon, Streveller will have many options available after next season and the Bombers will probably not be able to match the highest offers.  We might see a situation similar to Willy leaving Sask. in 2014 were Walters reads the writing on the wall and flips his rights prior to F.A. to secure a draft pick or two.
Jesse

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »

Pretty sure he's in year 1 of a 3 year deal. I like your point about his trade value moving forward though.

The other reality we need to face - other than the fact that we need to make a choice at the end of next year - is that Strev might not be that good. We've seen plenty flashes in the pan who fell apart once they were given the starters role.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2018, 05:21:55 PM »

Pretty sure he's in year 1 of a 3 year deal. I like your point about his trade value moving forward though.

The other reality we need to face - other than the fact that we need to make a choice at the end of next year - is that Strev might not be that good. We've seen plenty flashes in the pan who fell apart once they were given the starters role.

If Strev. was handed the starting job with a CFL team I could see him having a progression similar to Masoli, eventually he would get it but it would take a couple of years of inconsistent results and periods of ugliness to arrive at the point were the team posted a winning record.  At 8-10 it looks like Masoli still hasn't reached that point...but he's getting closer!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2018, 05:22:18 PM »

...as long as O'Shea is the H.C. I don't expect the team to move on from Nichols anytime soon...

Uh, why? If a head coach isn't going to think about the future, he probably shouldn't be head coach. Streveler has immense potential and O'Shea likely realizes that, along with Walters.

Nichols isn't getting any better or younger, either.

This is a good point. Strelever could wind up another Franklin. That being said, it's a gamble the WFC should probably take, IMO.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »

He signed a three year extension before the 2017 season, so that would make 2019 his last season under that contract.

I honestly think it probably hinges on how well we do in the playoffs this year.  

And yes, Streveler might flame out.  But he's shown better this year than most CFL rookie QB in a long time.  Some of that is due to the fact that he has a different skill set which makes him a lot more visible.
Jesse

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »

He signed a three year extension before the 2017 season, so that would make 2019 his last season under that contract.

I honestly think it probably hinges on how well we do in the playoffs this year.  

And yes, Streveler might flame out.  But he's shown better this year than most CFL rookie QB in a long time.  Some of that is due to the fact that he has a different skill set which makes him a lot more visible.

He was already under contract for 2017, I believe. So it would be an extension of three years after that that season. Which would end after 2020.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2018, 05:46:48 PM »

There have been a number of hot young rookies early in their careers that have not done as well as projected. Jennings and Franklin immediately come to mind.

So not to suggest that would happen to Streveler but it's early days and some posters are suggesting he'll be starting somewhere in 2020. He might but I don't think he'll end up in the NFL.

Whether he progresses as the 1A or 1B QB in Winnipeg is still a question. That may be decided during the course of 2019 as he gets more playing time. I certainly like the way he's progressed this year and how the Bombers are using his talents.

OTOH I cringe every time he takes off. He's had some big hits already. None that caused injuries yet but I'd guess time in the ice tub.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »

He was already under contract for 2017, I believe. So it would be an extension of three years after that that season. Which would end after 2020.

It usually doesn't work that way. It means the current agreement is extended ( by 2 years ) but includes more money in the 1st year than he would have gotten on his previous agreement.

No more excuses.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2018, 05:52:19 PM »

It usually doesn't work that way. It means the current agreement is extended ( by 2 years ) but includes more money in the 1st year than he would have gotten on his previous agreement.

That was/is my understanding as well, and the media reports around his signing were "through the 2019 season".
Doublezero

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2018, 06:06:36 PM »

Nichols peaked last year and he hasn't even won a playoff game yet. He's not going to keep progressing and he's never going to become Ricky Ray.

I laugh at those who say that Streveler is a long way off. He is still learning for sure, but he showed more in his first year than Nichols did until his 5th year.

Next year, we're paying Nichols $450K. Streveler, on his first contract, is likely less than half that. Keeping both would drastically increase the amount of money we have tied up in our QB's which reduces the SMS room for other players, which weakens the team.

If Streveler gets playing time next year and still looks as good as he did this year, he will be a highly sought after free agent. He will be expensive and will go where he has a chance to start. In other words, if we keep Nichols, we won't be able to keep Streveler, even if Nichols takes a pay cut, which he won't.
I want Matt Nichols to play well enough to take us to the Grey Cup now! And I want to keep Streveler in Blue and Gold too. But unless Walters miraculously signs Strev to an extension this off-season, he is probably gone to the NFL at the end of 2019. Nichols contract also expires at the end of 2019 and so Bombers then face the prospect of having their top two QBs heading to FA status. Agreed SMS prohibits paying them both starter-level pay. So Walters should make it priority to extend Streveler this off season by assuming Strev will be the starter in 2020 and pay him accordingly. Matty Ice may be looking at a Kevin Glenn-type of contract at that point.

A CFL deal extending Streveler in 2020 and beyond means that he at least gets paid as a starter here. Even that probably isn't enough incentive for him to stick around though, compared to what he'd get holding a clipboard or spot-duty under an NFL rookie deal which pays USD$480,000 (Year 1), $555,000 (Year 2), $630,000 (Year 3).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 06:16:51 PM by Doublezero » Logged

Just gimme the rock.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: