Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2018, 01:14:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Streveler  (Read 2629 times)
kkc60

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 05:36:33 AM »

great way to end ones career, pass
No not really. Not suggesting we do that because New Orleans does that with their 3rd stringer whose 28. Strev is young and shows too much promise. That being said, some QBs are more athletic and can find a role like that. I know gbill had previously mentioned Bennett as a guy who could maybe play receiver. Keep the amount of plays limited and as long as he plays smart it's not any more dangerous than dropping back or a QB scrambling
bigbuff33

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »

pjrocksmb...

I'll take the wisdom of a Super Bowl winning coach, Sean Peyton and suggest that Streveler doing what Hill is doing would be awesome!!  Strev is multi talented just like Hill...I think Peyton knows a thing or two about football...far more than I do...
bwiser

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »

He's certainly fun to watch. The issue with his style of play is the greater risk of injury IMO. He seems to have a Dunigan LB mentality about him. Reilly is like that as well and has not had an overabundance of injuries. So it's a matter of luck to some degree.
I agree completely.It is just a matter of time that he gets hurt if he keeps playing that reckless style. Dunigan had that LB mentality but he was hurt a lot. If Streveler can learn to pick his spots he will be dynamite in the CFL
Waffler

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »

I agree completely.It is just a matter of time that he gets hurt if he keeps playing that reckless style. Dunigan had that LB mentality but he was hurt a lot. If Streveler can learn to pick his spots he will be dynamite in the CFL

Yeah, the guys with long careers have been ones that avoid hits as much as possible. It's bad enough how many cheap shots are taken on QB's as it is, virtually unpunished as compared to the damage done to the player and the league.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »

Nichols gets the reins until he's too old or drops off dramatically.  Nichols will get us to a GC this year.  That's gotta count for something.  I think he can be almost as good as R.Ray if he keeps progressing.

Everyone's overlooking how Nichols has finally gotten the one thing he's always lacked: the deep ball.  He's not 100% on it, but he's shown he can do it finally.  The last 5 games I think he connected on more deep balls than Reilly did.  He's now a legitimate pocket passing threat with more mobility than Ray.  And I think he'll improve even more next year.

2019 is 100% a Nichols/Strev year.  2020 I think will be the same.  '21 will be the year we start testing Strev more, maybe like a Jennings/Lulay situtation, and if not '21 then certainly '22.  The only impediment is if Strev gets more starts due to injury and starts looking like Flutie.  Then we'll have to switch to Strev earlier and/or let him go.

Donny C is right: Strev is great, but he's not even close to being ready.  Won't be next year either.  MOS/Walters will not drop Nichols.  If they did he'd be snapped up by another team immediately.

Like WPG always does, they'll try to keep the best elements together between seasons, and they'll succeed because players love being a BB.

Well, I can't agree with much here.

Nichols isn't going to keep progressing. If anything, we saw him at his absolute best last year and we may not ever see that from him again. He's on the wrong side of 30 to start developing. His long ball has always been there too, he's just incredibly inaccurate with it. He hit Lankford on a 70-something yarder last year as well, it was just surrounded by a bunch of misses. It remains a weakness that is nice to have in a QB but obviously not necessary.

And as much I love your plan to develop Streveler behind Nichols until he falls apart (which may already be happening but you obviously don't agree with that), this isn't a video game. You can't just keep the players you want. Strev probably feels like he's ready now. He is under contract for next season, but certainly isn't going to re-sign with us if we're continuing to ride or die with Nichols. A choice is going to have to be made.

My wife is amazing!
Fred C Dobbs

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 12:59:30 PM »

Here's an interesting stat re Streveler's passing:

https://twitter.com/DTonSC/status/1058463942597599240

Good advice: "There are a lot of idiots out there posting on forums. But if you ignore them, they will eventually go away."
Waffler

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »

Here's an interesting stat re Streveler's passing:

https://twitter.com/DTonSC/status/1058463942597599240
This was noted on TSN, Dunigan said "small sample size". 

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »

... as much I love your plan to develop Streveler behind Nichols until he falls apart (which may already be happening but you obviously don't agree with that), this isn't a video game. You can't just keep the players you want. Strev probably feels like he's ready now. He is under contract for next season, but certainly isn't going to re-sign with us if we're continuing to ride or die with Nichols. A choice is going to have to be made.
Agreed. Bombers will have to open up the starting job next season or Chris Streveler will be gone to another CFL team via FA or to another league at the end of 2019. Matt Nichols will have to take a pay cut for the club to afford both QBs plus Bighill going forward. But there will be a lot of changes next year. Meantime - let's get that long-awaited Grey Cup back to Portage & Main!

Just gimme the rock.
kkc60

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »

Nichols gets the reins until he's too old or drops off dramatically.  Nichols will get us to a GC this year.  That's gotta count for something.  I think he can be almost as good as R.Ray if he keeps progressing.

Everyone's overlooking how Nichols has finally gotten the one thing he's always lacked: the deep ball.  He's not 100% on it, but he's shown he can do it finally.  The last 5 games I think he connected on more deep balls than Reilly did.  He's now a legitimate pocket passing threat with more mobility than Ray.  And I think he'll improve even more next year.

2019 is 100% a Nichols/Strev year.  2020 I think will be the same.  '21 will be the year we start testing Strev more, maybe like a Jennings/Lulay situtation, and if not '21 then certainly '22.  The only impediment is if Strev gets more starts due to injury and starts looking like Flutie.  Then we'll have to switch to Strev earlier and/or let him go.

Donny C is right: Strev is great, but he's not even close to being ready.  Won't be next year either.  MOS/Walters will not drop Nichols.  If they did he'd be snapped up by another team immediately.

Like WPG always does, they'll try to keep the best elements together between seasons, and they'll succeed because players love being a BB.

Nichols has a few good games and now he's the next R.Ray because he's connected on some deep balls is what I'm understanding. You're talking as though Nichols will still improve when in reality the odds are better he declines.

Strev is under contract one more year. The odds 2020 will feature both Nichols and Strev is extremely low unless something unexpected happens and even then its low.

Unless Nichols suddenly starts suffering major injuries or taking pay cuts to be a backup here like Lulay, we won't have a situation similar to that in BC.

Nichols is doing great right now. But not all decisions can be made easily. Come end of contract, Streveler will mist likely have CFL interest that will pay him decently and he'll want a starting shot. I believe Nichols contract also should be up soonish. Right now I'd take Nichols over Streveler but I'd rather long term Strev over Nichols
Waffler

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 02:07:35 PM »

Manziel 25
Franklin 27
Mitchell 28
Collaros 30
Masoli 30
Nichols 31
Harris 32
Reilly 33
Lulay 35

Nichols is hardly ancient. Mid pack. Except for Bo Levi all the good QB's are over 30.

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »

Nichols peaked last year and he hasn't even won a playoff game yet. He's not going to keep progressing and he's never going to become Ricky Ray.

I laugh at those who say that Streveler is a long way off. He is still learning for sure, but he showed more in his first year than Nichols did until his 5th year.

Next year, we're paying Nichols $450K. Streveler, on his first contract, is likely less than half that. Keeping both would drastically increase the amount of money we have tied up in our QB's which reduces the SMS room for other players, which weakens the team.

If Streveler gets playing time next year and still looks as good as he did this year, he will be a highly sought after free agent. He will be expensive and will go where he has a chance to start. In other words, if we keep Nichols, we won't be able to keep Streveler, even if Nichols takes a pay cut, which he won't.

Being right never gets old.
Waffler

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »

A playoff team does not give the keys to a 23 year old.

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »

A playoff team does not give the keys to a 23 year old.
A playoff team plays their best players. Right now that's Nichols but next year it might be Streveler. So we should still start Nichols no matter what because Strevelers age?
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2018, 03:03:25 PM »

A playoff team plays their best players. Right now that's Nichols but next year it might be Streveler. So we should still start Nichols no matter what because Strevelers age?
this! Good lord.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Donny C

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2018, 03:05:57 PM »

This was noted on TSN, Dunigan said "small sample size". 

I believe that part of that is due to the fact that he usually only makes sure passes...otherwise he runs.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: