Blue Bombers Forum
November 16, 2018, 04:01:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Streveler  (Read 2075 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« on: November 07, 2018, 05:40:40 AM »

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/11/03/chris-streveler-post-game-6/

I truly believe Chris Steveler is the QB of the future for the Bombers.  No doubt he has a lot to prove but his attitude and commitment, his performance to date, his desire to being better are great attributes.  Hopefully we are able to keep him after next season.  Tremendous upside is evident.

This is one guy we need to keep on the roster.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 06:33:04 AM »

He certainly is an engaging young man and has talent, confidence, skills and has his head screwed on straight.....all of which are major components for success in the CFL!   I'm really impressed with him and hope we can develop him into our next franchise QB.    Meanwhile he adds another wrinkle to our offence and has done nothing but excel when given those circumstances.   His future certainly looks bright and I'm hoping it's with us!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 01:11:31 PM »

I think there is no doubt The Strevelation has a mountain of potential as a starting QB. The Bombers must do all they can to keep him.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 01:18:38 PM »

I think there is no doubt The Strevelation has a mountain of potential as a starting QB. The Bombers must do all they can to keep him.

Please retain him there is nothing not to like!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 01:30:34 PM »

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/11/03/chris-streveler-post-game-6/

I truly believe Chris Steveler is the QB of the future for the Bombers.  No doubt he has a lot to prove but his attitude and commitment, his performance to date, his desire to being better are great attributes.  Hopefully we are able to keep him after next season.  Tremendous upside is evident.

This is one guy we need to keep on the roster.

We will probably have to make a choice at the end of next year. Pay Streveler something close to starters money and move on from Nichols, or keep Nichols and watch another team pay him something close to starters money. If Strev can come back next year and be a bit better pocket passer I'd say it shouldn't be a tough call.
Stretch

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 02:28:04 PM »

We will probably have to make a choice at the end of next year. Pay Streveler something close to starters money and move on from Nichols, or keep Nichols and watch another team pay him something close to starters money.

Streveler is under contract with us next year as well, is he not?

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
booch

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 02:29:31 PM »

He is...
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »

Streveler is under contract with us next year as well, is he not?

He means that those are the options after next year.

The only word I can use to describe watching Strev this year is fun. He plays an old fashioned rock 'em sock 'em game and while he's somewhat of a loose cannon at this extremely early stage of his career, he does whatever it takes to get the job done. Whether that's taking off and throwing his shoulder into LBs to get an extra yard (usually resulting in an extra 5), or slinging the rock all the way downfield and letting receivers do what they get paid to do. Crazy fun to watch.

Sure would be something to develop a 23 year old and have him in blue and gold for 12+ years, bringing in the cups...ah, I can dream...
Norm W

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »

Sure would be something to develop a 23 year old and have him in blue and gold for 12+ years, bringing in the cups...ah, I can dream...

I've had a similar dream but in mine I wake after year 3 of his new contract reading a headline in the Sun that says Streveler signs an 8 year deal with the Cleveland Browns for 50 million US dollars.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:43:11 PM by Norm W » Logged

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
jeremy q public

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »

I think it's worth noting that the Bombers have finally scouted a QB who is turning heads around the league. For years we've been whining about our lack of QB development here, and it looks like this is a sign of that changing.
bigbuff33

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »

For those who follow the New Orleans Saints.
Their back up QB...is like a Strev clone
They use him at QB and lineup Brees wide.
They use him as a tailback....and as a receiver...
He even returned kickoffs...

Would love to see LaPo utilize Strev like that...get the ball in his hands!!
We're developing him exactly as a QB should be developed.
After next season he's gotta be our full time QB...
Blue In BC

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 03:30:23 PM »

He's certainly fun to watch. The issue with his style of play is the greater risk of injury IMO. He seems to have a Dunigan LB mentality about him. Reilly is like that as well and has not had an overabundance of injuries. So it's a matter of luck to some degree.

No more excuses.
lenny

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 03:48:25 PM »

He's certainly fun to watch. The issue with his style of play is the greater risk of injury IMO. He seems to have a Dunigan LB mentality about him. Reilly is like that as well and has not had an overabundance of injuries. So it's a matter of luck to some degree.

Yep. Great potential but when he gets to the point of pass first mentality then he won't achieve that potential and the risk of injury becomes greater. But let's make no mistake about it what he brings in all around abilities including in my opinion the best running QB in the league is something we haven't seen here for years.  The CFL teams alone who will line up trying to sign him after next year will be many. So not only the issue of the new league in the States, the NFL, but our own backyard. Frankly, despite his formidable physical assets he is not an NFL QB. They would want to use him as a backup RB, STs, receiver, maybe even at TE though he might be a bit undersized for that.
Stretch

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 03:55:13 PM »

I've had a similar dream but in mine I wake after year 3 of his new contract reading a headline in the Sun that says Streveler signs an 8 year deal with the Cleveland Browns for 50 million US dollars.

That's not a dream...it's a nightmare (for him  Wink)

Norm W

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »

That's not a dream...it's a nightmare (for him  Wink)

If somebody writes you a cheque for 50 million at age 26 to play football you won't even ask where, and if you do its only so you know where to tell your mother where your going to live. 

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
Stretch

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »

If somebody writes you a cheque for 50 million at age 26 to play football you won't even ask where, and if you do its only so you know where to tell your mother where your going to live. 

Not sure if you missed the bolded part and the winking emoji, but it's all good.

booch

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 04:08:08 PM »

The only real threat for him to leave the league would be the AAF but even that is slim to none..he would make up here in his second contract..even as a back-up/1b will be way more than what he would get there to start....and for any NFL option he would need at least a year or 2 of starter game film up here to have a legit shot being worth his time to pursue.

As for in Canada...we won't let him go..he will be extended prior to the end of next year if it is in Canada that he wants to be the big fish in a smaller pond. Also he likes it here..got his shot here...and his buddy Woli is here...another guy I am sure we will lock up prior to free agency and who also likes and wants to be here
Ridermania

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 04:17:22 PM »

The Bombers are in a great QB position next year.

Hopefully they can sign Streveler for a few years and trade Nichols.

One of them will have to be gone after next season as both are starters in the CFL.

Can't afford both and both want to play.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 04:54:13 PM »

Must be the same dream in which Baker Mayfield was never born. Wink

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
blueraid

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »

Watching his play closely is a treat...Streve plays the game the way it should be played...hard hitting and take no prisoners....He'll learn over time, the finesse game a qb.needs, to have to have longevity at the position...Right now he has all the tools to be a star in this league and maybe in the NFL..(quite far down the road hopefully)...We need this guy for the future....AND I'm just getting a big kick out of the way he plays the game...Watch the look in some of those opposition db's eyes when he takes off with the ball...I'm pretty sure I see terror...lol
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:55:15 PM by blueraid » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »

Watching his play closely is a treat...Streve plays the game the way it should be played...hard hitting and take no prisoners....He'll learn over time, the finesse game a qb.needs, to have to have longevity at the position...Right now he has all the tools to be a star in this league and maybe in the NFL..(quite far down the road hopefully)...We need this guy for the future....AND I'm just getting a big kick out of the way he plays the game...Watch the look in some of those opposition db's eyes when he takes off with the ball...I'm pretty sure I see terror...lol

Instead of mic'd up, it would be cool to get a "ref cam" on teh QB's... especially Strevinator.  Then you'd be able to actually see those DB's eyes as he bears down on them...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 06:10:44 PM »

So awesome that we were able to give him so much playing time this year, too. That will be huge for his development going into TC next year.
booch

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 08:35:52 PM »

Yeah even without his 3 games he started...when is the last time around here that we have seen the back-up get as much meaningful and impactful snaps in the game plan...dare I say...never?

He will be so much further ahead in development next year coming into camp than any other young guy we have had rostered before..if he puts the work in over the winter on footwork...game film study..he may be really hard to keep off the field next year
Donny C

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 09:00:00 PM »

One of them will have to be gone after next season as both are starters in the CFL.

I disagree!

Streveler might be the future, but he isn't the now!

He's got many things going for him...but this is a passing league and until I see that he can pass more I don't want him as the full time starter.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2018, 12:10:31 AM »

For those who follow the New Orleans Saints.
Their back up QB...is like a Strev clone
They use him at QB and lineup Brees wide.
They use him as a tailback....and as a receiver...
He even returned kickoffs...

Would love to see LaPo utilize Strev like that...get the ball in his hands!!
We're developing him exactly as a QB should be developed.
After next season he's gotta be our full time QB...

great way to end ones career, pass

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 12:11:48 AM »

Ride Nichols for as long as you can and you develop Strev.  Terrible idea to trade away our leader.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Leroy

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 12:36:25 AM »

If he only wants to play QB he won't be heading south in the next few years.

If he is willing to do what Hill in New Orleans is doing he may be gone after next year.
blue_or_die

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 03:47:13 AM »

Ride Nichols for as long as you can and you develop Strev.  Terrible idea to trade away our leader.

I don?t entirely disagree but the reality is, we will be at a crossroads at the end of next season at QB. Will we commit to an aging but known quantity in Nichols, or look to the future in Strev. Contracts are up and we will need to make that decision. Luckily we will have all next year to see where Strev (and Nichols) are at which should (but probably won?t, knowing our luck) make things clearer.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 04:20:03 AM »

I don?t entirely disagree but the reality is, we will be at a crossroads at the end of next season at QB. Will we commit to an aging but known quantity in Nichols, or look to the future in Strev. Contracts are up and we will need to make that decision. Luckily we will have all next year to see where Strev (and Nichols) are at which should (but probably won?t, knowing our luck) make things clearer.
this is true. I agree Streveler needs to show more as a passer. But I think chances are once he can can read a defence better he will become a bonifide starter in this league. He might as well be ours. Nichols I love right now but he has always had an issue staying healthy consistently.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 04:48:53 AM »

Nichols gets the reins until he's too old or drops off dramatically.  Nichols will get us to a GC this year.  That's gotta count for something.  I think he can be almost as good as R.Ray if he keeps progressing.

Everyone's overlooking how Nichols has finally gotten the one thing he's always lacked: the deep ball.  He's not 100% on it, but he's shown he can do it finally.  The last 5 games I think he connected on more deep balls than Reilly did.  He's now a legitimate pocket passing threat with more mobility than Ray.  And I think he'll improve even more next year.

2019 is 100% a Nichols/Strev year.  2020 I think will be the same.  '21 will be the year we start testing Strev more, maybe like a Jennings/Lulay situtation, and if not '21 then certainly '22.  The only impediment is if Strev gets more starts due to injury and starts looking like Flutie.  Then we'll have to switch to Strev earlier and/or let him go.

Donny C is right: Strev is great, but he's not even close to being ready.  Won't be next year either.  MOS/Walters will not drop Nichols.  If they did he'd be snapped up by another team immediately.

Like WPG always does, they'll try to keep the best elements together between seasons, and they'll succeed because players love being a BB.
kkc60

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 05:36:33 AM »

great way to end ones career, pass
No not really. Not suggesting we do that because New Orleans does that with their 3rd stringer whose 28. Strev is young and shows too much promise. That being said, some QBs are more athletic and can find a role like that. I know gbill had previously mentioned Bennett as a guy who could maybe play receiver. Keep the amount of plays limited and as long as he plays smart it's not any more dangerous than dropping back or a QB scrambling
bigbuff33

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »

pjrocksmb...

I'll take the wisdom of a Super Bowl winning coach, Sean Peyton and suggest that Streveler doing what Hill is doing would be awesome!!  Strev is multi talented just like Hill...I think Peyton knows a thing or two about football...far more than I do...
bwiser

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 12:22:04 PM »

I agree completely.It is just a matter of time that he gets hurt if he keeps playing that reckless style. Dunigan had that LB mentality but he was hurt a lot. If Streveler can learn to pick his spots he will be dynamite in the CFL
Waffler

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »

I agree completely.It is just a matter of time that he gets hurt if he keeps playing that reckless style. Dunigan had that LB mentality but he was hurt a lot. If Streveler can learn to pick his spots he will be dynamite in the CFL

Yeah, the guys with long careers have been ones that avoid hits as much as possible. It's bad enough how many cheap shots are taken on QB's as it is, virtually unpunished as compared to the damage done to the player and the league.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »

Nichols gets the reins until he's too old or drops off dramatically.  Nichols will get us to a GC this year.  That's gotta count for something.  I think he can be almost as good as R.Ray if he keeps progressing.

Everyone's overlooking how Nichols has finally gotten the one thing he's always lacked: the deep ball.  He's not 100% on it, but he's shown he can do it finally.  The last 5 games I think he connected on more deep balls than Reilly did.  He's now a legitimate pocket passing threat with more mobility than Ray.  And I think he'll improve even more next year.

2019 is 100% a Nichols/Strev year.  2020 I think will be the same.  '21 will be the year we start testing Strev more, maybe like a Jennings/Lulay situtation, and if not '21 then certainly '22.  The only impediment is if Strev gets more starts due to injury and starts looking like Flutie.  Then we'll have to switch to Strev earlier and/or let him go.

Donny C is right: Strev is great, but he's not even close to being ready.  Won't be next year either.  MOS/Walters will not drop Nichols.  If they did he'd be snapped up by another team immediately.

Like WPG always does, they'll try to keep the best elements together between seasons, and they'll succeed because players love being a BB.

Well, I can't agree with much here.

Nichols isn't going to keep progressing. If anything, we saw him at his absolute best last year and we may not ever see that from him again. He's on the wrong side of 30 to start developing. His long ball has always been there too, he's just incredibly inaccurate with it. He hit Lankford on a 70-something yarder last year as well, it was just surrounded by a bunch of misses. It remains a weakness that is nice to have in a QB but obviously not necessary.

And as much I love your plan to develop Streveler behind Nichols until he falls apart (which may already be happening but you obviously don't agree with that), this isn't a video game. You can't just keep the players you want. Strev probably feels like he's ready now. He is under contract for next season, but certainly isn't going to re-sign with us if we're continuing to ride or die with Nichols. A choice is going to have to be made.

My wife is amazing!
Fred C Dobbs

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 12:59:30 PM »

Here's an interesting stat re Streveler's passing:

https://twitter.com/DTonSC/status/1058463942597599240

Good advice: "There are a lot of idiots out there posting on forums. But if you ignore them, they will eventually go away."
Waffler

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »

Here's an interesting stat re Streveler's passing:

https://twitter.com/DTonSC/status/1058463942597599240
This was noted on TSN, Dunigan said "small sample size". 

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »

... as much I love your plan to develop Streveler behind Nichols until he falls apart (which may already be happening but you obviously don't agree with that), this isn't a video game. You can't just keep the players you want. Strev probably feels like he's ready now. He is under contract for next season, but certainly isn't going to re-sign with us if we're continuing to ride or die with Nichols. A choice is going to have to be made.
Agreed. Bombers will have to open up the starting job next season or Chris Streveler will be gone to another CFL team via FA or to another league at the end of 2019. Matt Nichols will have to take a pay cut for the club to afford both QBs plus Bighill going forward. But there will be a lot of changes next year. Meantime - let's get that long-awaited Grey Cup back to Portage & Main!

Just gimme the rock.
kkc60

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »

Nichols has a few good games and now he's the next R.Ray because he's connected on some deep balls is what I'm understanding. You're talking as though Nichols will still improve when in reality the odds are better he declines.

Strev is under contract one more year. The odds 2020 will feature both Nichols and Strev is extremely low unless something unexpected happens and even then its low.

Unless Nichols suddenly starts suffering major injuries or taking pay cuts to be a backup here like Lulay, we won't have a situation similar to that in BC.

Nichols is doing great right now. But not all decisions can be made easily. Come end of contract, Streveler will mist likely have CFL interest that will pay him decently and he'll want a starting shot. I believe Nichols contract also should be up soonish. Right now I'd take Nichols over Streveler but I'd rather long term Strev over Nichols
Waffler

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 02:07:35 PM »

Manziel 25
Franklin 27
Mitchell 28
Collaros 30
Masoli 30
Nichols 31
Harris 32
Reilly 33
Lulay 35

Nichols is hardly ancient. Mid pack. Except for Bo Levi all the good QB's are over 30.

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 02:34:20 PM »

Nichols peaked last year and he hasn't even won a playoff game yet. He's not going to keep progressing and he's never going to become Ricky Ray.

I laugh at those who say that Streveler is a long way off. He is still learning for sure, but he showed more in his first year than Nichols did until his 5th year.

Next year, we're paying Nichols $450K. Streveler, on his first contract, is likely less than half that. Keeping both would drastically increase the amount of money we have tied up in our QB's which reduces the SMS room for other players, which weakens the team.

If Streveler gets playing time next year and still looks as good as he did this year, he will be a highly sought after free agent. He will be expensive and will go where he has a chance to start. In other words, if we keep Nichols, we won't be able to keep Streveler, even if Nichols takes a pay cut, which he won't.

Being right never gets old.
Waffler

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »

A playoff team does not give the keys to a 23 year old.

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2018, 03:00:29 PM »

A playoff team does not give the keys to a 23 year old.
A playoff team plays their best players. Right now that's Nichols but next year it might be Streveler. So we should still start Nichols no matter what because Strevelers age?
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2018, 03:03:25 PM »

A playoff team plays their best players. Right now that's Nichols but next year it might be Streveler. So we should still start Nichols no matter what because Strevelers age?
this! Good lord.

Donny C

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2018, 03:05:57 PM »

This was noted on TSN, Dunigan said "small sample size". 

I believe that part of that is due to the fact that he usually only makes sure passes...otherwise he runs.
the paw

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 03:15:36 PM »

Do we know for sure Streveler signed a two year contract, or is possible he signed for 3?  I can't find any indication on-line.

In any event, while I love the kid, the jury is still out on his ability to be a sufficiently precise passer over time.  (small sample, not-under-pressure stats notwithstanding).

There are very few QBs who carve out a long career as year-in, year-out rushing threats.  In modern times, I think Damon Allen, Tracy Ham and you could include Mike Reilly and maybe Kerry Joseph in that category.  I am talking about QBs who rush 650-1000 yds per season for several seasons.  And this is despite the fact that the NCAA graduates a bushel of talented running QBs every year.  Bottom line, you have to be able to be an accurate passer from in the pocket in addition to being a great run threat.

Streveler has the arm, he has the confidence, and he keeps his eyes downfield and these are all good signs. And he has made some good throws.  But I have also noticed (eyeball test), that his ball placement often tends to be on the outside of the receiver's catch radius, and he tends to throw shallower than Nichols in the same offence. 

My conclusion is that if Streveler does improve accuracy, he is certain to get an NFL shot.  If he doesn't, then while he will still parlay that into a starting gig in the CFL, he will struggle to dominate in the way we expect.  It will be interesting to watch. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 03:17:11 PM by the paw » Logged

grab grass 'n growl
BlueInCgy

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »

Nichols is a FA after next season, correct?

So either way, we're likely to lose one.  There are not enough good QBs out there, and if you figure Collaros, Lulay, and Ray (I'm only keeping him in this conversation because he isn't officially retired yet) probably don't have more than a year left in them (if they're lucky, Lulay and Ray could be done by the end of 2018, and Collaros has to start thinking about career options that don't result in a severely diminished quality of life down the road), and Manziel likely isn't going to live up to the hype, you've got four teams at least who won't have starters who are better than what is going to shake free from Winnipeg at the end of next season.

As nuts as this sounds, it might be the right year to trade Nichols in the off season.  I'm not saying it's the right idea, but if it's unlikely that we're going to be able to hold onto both, we might want to try and get something for one of them.
Donny C

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2018, 04:34:30 PM »

So either way, we're likely to lose one.  There are not enough good QBs out there, and if you figure Collaros, Lulay, and Ray (I'm only keeping him in this conversation because he isn't officially retired yet) probably don't have more than a year left in them (if they're lucky, Lulay and Ray could be done by the end of 2018, and Collaros has to start thinking about career options that don't result in a severely diminished quality of life down the road), and Manziel likely isn't going to live up to the hype, you've got four teams at least who won't have starters who are better than what is going to shake free from Winnipeg at the end of next season.

As nuts as this sounds, it might be the right year to trade Nichols in the off season.  I'm not saying it's the right idea, but if it's unlikely that we're going to be able to hold onto both, we might want to try and get something for one of them.

In a QB driven league, and seeing how other teams performed without a QB (and how WPG under-performed for many, many year) if I'm the GM I'm doing everything to sign BOTH!
BlueInCgy

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2018, 04:55:56 PM »

In a QB driven league, and seeing how other teams performed without a QB (and how WPG under-performed for many, many year) if I'm the GM I'm doing everything to sign BOTH!

I don't disagree with you, but to do that you'd likely have to sign Nichols to a ramp down contract and Streveler on a ramp up contract, and if Reilly goes for big bucks this year (which he will), Nichols is likely to get big(ger) money in 2020 (and I'm not equating Reilly and Nichols, but starting QB premium will be higher unless a whole bunch of lights out rookies show up in 2019), so managing an increase in Nichols salary and then ramping down while at the same time paying Streveler enough money to stick around is a very delicate balance.  Edmonton didn't/couldn't do it with Franklin, Toronto couldn't do it with Ray/Collaros/Harris, Hank had to step aside in Ottawa to give Harris his shot, etc.
Waffler

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2018, 04:59:54 PM »

It's a win now league.  Keep both through next year at least.

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2018, 05:09:24 PM »

I don't disagree with you, but to do that you'd likely have to sign Nichols to a ramp down contract and Streveler on a ramp up contract, and if Reilly goes for big bucks this year (which he will), Nichols is likely to get big(ger) money in 2020 (and I'm not equating Reilly and Nichols, but starting QB premium will be higher unless a whole bunch of lights out rookies show up in 2019), so managing an increase in Nichols salary and then ramping down while at the same time paying Streveler enough money to stick around is a very delicate balance.  Edmonton didn't/couldn't do it with Franklin, Toronto couldn't do it with Ray/Collaros/Harris, Hank had to step aside in Ottawa to give Harris his shot, etc.

Agree, as long as O'Shea is the H.C. I don't expect the team to move on from Nichols anytime soon, Streveller will have many options available after next season and the Bombers will probably not be able to match the highest offers.  We might see a situation similar to Willy leaving Sask. in 2014 were Walters reads the writing on the wall and flips his rights prior to F.A. to secure a draft pick or two.
Jesse

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »

Pretty sure he's in year 1 of a 3 year deal. I like your point about his trade value moving forward though.

The other reality we need to face - other than the fact that we need to make a choice at the end of next year - is that Strev might not be that good. We've seen plenty flashes in the pan who fell apart once they were given the starters role.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2018, 05:21:55 PM »

Pretty sure he's in year 1 of a 3 year deal. I like your point about his trade value moving forward though.

The other reality we need to face - other than the fact that we need to make a choice at the end of next year - is that Strev might not be that good. We've seen plenty flashes in the pan who fell apart once they were given the starters role.

If Strev. was handed the starting job with a CFL team I could see him having a progression similar to Masoli, eventually he would get it but it would take a couple of years of inconsistent results and periods of ugliness to arrive at the point were the team posted a winning record.  At 8-10 it looks like Masoli still hasn't reached that point...but he's getting closer!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2018, 05:22:18 PM »

...as long as O'Shea is the H.C. I don't expect the team to move on from Nichols anytime soon...

Uh, why? If a head coach isn't going to think about the future, he probably shouldn't be head coach. Streveler has immense potential and O'Shea likely realizes that, along with Walters.

Nichols isn't getting any better or younger, either.

This is a good point. Strelever could wind up another Franklin. That being said, it's a gamble the WFC should probably take, IMO.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »

He signed a three year extension before the 2017 season, so that would make 2019 his last season under that contract.

I honestly think it probably hinges on how well we do in the playoffs this year.  

And yes, Streveler might flame out.  But he's shown better this year than most CFL rookie QB in a long time.  Some of that is due to the fact that he has a different skill set which makes him a lot more visible.
Jesse

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »

He signed a three year extension before the 2017 season, so that would make 2019 his last season under that contract.

I honestly think it probably hinges on how well we do in the playoffs this year.  

And yes, Streveler might flame out.  But he's shown better this year than most CFL rookie QB in a long time.  Some of that is due to the fact that he has a different skill set which makes him a lot more visible.

He was already under contract for 2017, I believe. So it would be an extension of three years after that that season. Which would end after 2020.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2018, 05:46:48 PM »

There have been a number of hot young rookies early in their careers that have not done as well as projected. Jennings and Franklin immediately come to mind.

So not to suggest that would happen to Streveler but it's early days and some posters are suggesting he'll be starting somewhere in 2020. He might but I don't think he'll end up in the NFL.

Whether he progresses as the 1A or 1B QB in Winnipeg is still a question. That may be decided during the course of 2019 as he gets more playing time. I certainly like the way he's progressed this year and how the Bombers are using his talents.

OTOH I cringe every time he takes off. He's had some big hits already. None that caused injuries yet but I'd guess time in the ice tub.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2018, 05:48:04 PM »

He was already under contract for 2017, I believe. So it would be an extension of three years after that that season. Which would end after 2020.

It usually doesn't work that way. It means the current agreement is extended ( by 2 years ) but includes more money in the 1st year than he would have gotten on his previous agreement.

No more excuses.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2018, 05:52:19 PM »

It usually doesn't work that way. It means the current agreement is extended ( by 2 years ) but includes more money in the 1st year than he would have gotten on his previous agreement.

That was/is my understanding as well, and the media reports around his signing were "through the 2019 season".
Doublezero

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2018, 06:06:36 PM »

Nichols peaked last year and he hasn't even won a playoff game yet. He's not going to keep progressing and he's never going to become Ricky Ray.

I laugh at those who say that Streveler is a long way off. He is still learning for sure, but he showed more in his first year than Nichols did until his 5th year.

Next year, we're paying Nichols $450K. Streveler, on his first contract, is likely less than half that. Keeping both would drastically increase the amount of money we have tied up in our QB's which reduces the SMS room for other players, which weakens the team.

If Streveler gets playing time next year and still looks as good as he did this year, he will be a highly sought after free agent. He will be expensive and will go where he has a chance to start. In other words, if we keep Nichols, we won't be able to keep Streveler, even if Nichols takes a pay cut, which he won't.
I want Matt Nichols to play well enough to take us to the Grey Cup now! And I want to keep Streveler in Blue and Gold too. But unless Walters miraculously signs Strev to an extension this off-season, he is probably gone to the NFL at the end of 2019. Nichols contract also expires at the end of 2019 and so Bombers then face the prospect of having their top two QBs heading to FA status. Agreed SMS prohibits paying them both starter-level pay. So Walters should make it priority to extend Streveler this off season by assuming Strev will be the starter in 2020 and pay him accordingly. Matty Ice may be looking at a Kevin Glenn-type of contract at that point.

A CFL deal extending Streveler in 2020 and beyond means that he at least gets paid as a starter here. Even that probably isn't enough incentive for him to stick around though, compared to what he'd get holding a clipboard or spot-duty under an NFL rookie deal which pays USD$480,000 (Year 1), $555,000 (Year 2), $630,000 (Year 3).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 06:16:51 PM by Doublezero » Logged

Just gimme the rock.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2018, 06:22:56 PM »

Uh, why? If a head coach isn't going to think about the future, he probably shouldn't be head coach. Streveler has immense potential and O'Shea likely realizes that, along with Walters.

Nichols isn't getting any better or younger, either.

This is a good point. Strelever could wind up another Franklin. That being said, it's a gamble the WFC should probably take, IMO.

Based on every word, statement and gesture we've witnessed from O'Shea over the past 5 seasons, I'm not expecting him to do a 180 on Nichols unless he stumbles to a 6 win season and Walters, Miller or LaPo convince him to move on.
theaardvark

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2018, 06:28:32 PM »

Based on every word, statement and gesture we've witnessed from O'Shea over the past 5 seasons, I'm not expecting him to do a 180 on Nichols unless he stumbles to a 6 win season and Walters, Miller or LaPo convince him to move on.

If Nichols has a 6 win season, Miller/Walters/OShea might not be in a position to offer any advice... 'cause they'll be out of work too...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2018, 06:33:11 PM »

He would make the move if he thought he had to. We should probably give O'Shea some credit for his decisions at QB. He moved on from Willy and installed Nichols which was the right call. He held firm and kept Nichols in when there was a large contingent screaming for Streveler (me included) which also proved to be the right call. QB changes shouldn't be made quickly and O'Shea is 2 for 2 so far.
Jesse

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2018, 06:43:49 PM »

That was/is my understanding as well, and the media reports around his signing were "through the 2019 season".

Alrighty then.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2018, 06:48:45 PM »

He would make the move if he thought he had to. We should probably give O'Shea some credit for his decisions at QB. He moved on from Willy and installed Nichols which was the right call. He held firm and kept Nichols in when there was a large contingent screaming for Streveler (me included) which also proved to be the right call. QB changes shouldn't be made quickly and O'Shea is 2 for 2 so far.

O'Shea is a good player's coach but he isn't a visionary, I'm still convinced it was LaPo's pleading and Miller's gate driven pressure that forced him to move on from Willy.  Nichols turned around the season and basically saved O'Shea's *** from being fired, thus he's earned some loyalty.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2018, 06:50:32 PM »

O'Shea is a good player's coach but he isn't a visionary, I'm still convinced it was LaPo's pleading and Miller's gate driven pressure that forced him to move on from Willy.  Nichols turned around the season and basically saved O'Shea's *** from being fired, thus he's earned some loyalty.

I doubt it but who's to say?
kkc60

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »

MOS is loyal to his guys. Maybe to a fault. Remember, this was a guy who started Willy over Nichols. Maybe one day we'll be talking about how he started Nichols over Streveler in the same way
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2018, 07:11:13 PM »

Ah, so nothing specific and just a vague catch-all. Got it. It isn't about doing a 180, either. He just doesn't panic like fans and the media do.

That's just speculation. By that logic, one could make the same claim for this season when panicky fans wanted him to bench Nichols for a rookie.

MOS is loyal to his guys. Maybe to a fault. Remember, this was a guy who started Willy over Nichols.

That doesn't prove anything. Were he "loyal to a fault" - either back then or now - Willy would've continued getting the starts two years ago and Johnson wouldn't have been benched for his lousy play this season.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
GCn18

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2018, 07:50:53 PM »

I don't expect him to move quickly either, and this season has taught us that this is probably the correct way to do things. Fans like to call anything longer than a knee jerk reaction to be loyal to a fault. Not surprisingly, MOS has proven time and time again to be smarter than us.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Slimy Sculpin

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2018, 09:54:59 PM »

Hypothetical question?Huh?  Assuming that all CFL player contracts aren't guaranteed, any thoughts on what O'Shea/Management might do if in Sunday's game, Nichols has Banjo Bowl-like performance and the Bombers lose.
Donny C

« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2018, 10:00:11 PM »

Hypothetical question?Huh?  Assuming that all CFL player contracts aren't guaranteed, any thoughts on what O'Shea/Management might do if in Sunday's game, Nichols has Banjo Bowl-like performance and the Bombers lose.

Ban you from the forum.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2018, 10:25:56 PM »

Ban you from the forum.
i second that

blue girl

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:01 PM »

i second that
Totally agree.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2018, 06:55:50 AM »

That doesn't prove anything. Were he "loyal to a fault" - either back then or now - Willy would've continued getting the starts two years ago and Johnson wouldn't have been benched for his lousy play this season.

People keep retroactively (i.e. now) talking about this supposed "lousy play" by Poop.  At the time of Poop's last couple of games, I don't recall anyone complaining about him.  No one was saying he was getting beat, or sit him down.  He was never the forum whipping boy.

But all of the sudden it's clear to everyone Poop got "lousy" before he was benched?

Can someone tell me what was Poop's last game starting?  I want to take a peek back at those games to see if Poop was screwing things up or not.  I just don't recall anything like that.  I hate the guy just as much as everyone for defecting, but it doesn't change my opinion of what he contributed when starting.
GCn18

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »

People keep retroactively (i.e. now) talking about this supposed "lousy play" by Poop.  At the time of Poop's last couple of games, I don't recall anyone complaining about him.  No one was saying he was getting beat, or sit him down.  He was never the forum whipping boy.

But all of the sudden it's clear to everyone Poop got "lousy" before he was benched?

Can someone tell me what was Poop's last game starting?  I want to take a peek back at those games to see if Poop was screwing things up or not.  I just don't recall anything like that.  I hate the guy just as much as everyone for defecting, but it doesn't change my opinion of what he contributed when starting.

What makes you think you would be able to tell whether Poop was assignment sound or not? Before criticizing other fans knowledge of the game, make sure yours is up to snuff as well. Doug Brown, among others, had suggested that Poop was abandoning his run gap too early in order to pass rush. That is not something that will show up to the average fan on film. So while most people didn't detect anything wrong with Poop's play per se, comments in the media and the effectiveness of moving him out suggest he was not doing as well as he should have.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:14:42 PM by GCn18 » Logged

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2018, 01:21:23 PM »

Take a look at his stats if you're curious and compare them to last season. It seems like he wasn't as effective in 2018 as he was in 2017.

And of course a DT wouldn't really be discussed, regardless of how good or bad his play is. It's not a position that gets magnified all too often. However, it seems as though the coaching staff saw something and made the decision to change personnel.

And Johnson's last game played was the ugly loss at home to the RedBlacks (week 10).

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
booch

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »

I was told he considered himself as a "pass rush specialist" and tried to basically just play that way and abandoned the scheme for his own glory..and hence...got sat
kkc60

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »

I was told he considered himself as a "pass rush specialist" and tried to basically just play that way and abandoned the scheme for his own glory..and hence...got sat
I mean yeah he was a pass rushing DT. That's no secret. As for the rest, thats pure speculation
booch

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 03:01:53 PM »

depending on whom you got the info from...just saying....he also had some somewhat negative tings to say in a recent article is Sask yesterday...so take it for what it's worth...
GCn18

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 03:09:34 PM »

That was Bob Irving and Doug Brown's take on it as well. Might be speculation, but it's some pretty well connected speculation.

GCn18

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »

I mean yeah he was a pass rushing DT. That's no secret. As for the rest, thats pure speculation

The Bombers literally said that Bryant is a better fit in the system as a more well rounded DT. They didn't say anything about Poop but their comments about Bryant speak volumes.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »

The Bombers literally said that Bryant is a better fit in the system as a more well rounded DT. They didn't say anything about Poop but their comments about Bryant speak volumes.

Not really, it's called justification after the fact, for some reason you're twisting this to fit the narrative that once a player moves on to an opponent they are no longer a good player, see it all the time on Riderfans.  Poop is still a very good DT and if the Bombers face him this Sunday he will be more than a handful to contain and he will improve an already solid Sask. D-line.
booch

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »

it appeared the team moved on months ago...and a guy who hasn't played since..sure can have his moments but will be nowhere effective for a whole game...especially battling on the dline...
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »

Not really, it's called justification after the fact, for some reason you're twisting this to fit the narrative that once a player moves on to an opponent they are no longer a good player, see it all the time on Riderfans.  Poop is still a very good DT and if the Bombers face him this Sunday he will be more than a handful to contain and he will improve an already solid Sask. D-line.

LOL Cheesy

Give it a rest. And if I were you, I wouldn't accuse anyone else of a twisting a narrative considering some of what you said regarding his being benched (being mistreated by the team, releasing him was a miscalculation, he'll spill trade secrets to an opponent, etc.).

What's with your ongoing and over-the-top defense of Johnson, anyway? It's a bit odd, especially when he didn't live up to expectation this season.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2018, 04:56:26 PM »

That certainly happens, I don't think this is a case of that.

We're not talking about a player who wouldn't re-sign with us and left for another team via Free Agency. This is a guy who was beat out by a rookie and was on our PR. Obviously there was a reason Bryant was starting ahead of Johnson. This is not justification after the fact, it's the reason he lost his job.

My wife is amazing!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »

Funny I thought this was a Streveler thread....maybe start a new one for Poop...oh there already is one Grin

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
kkc60

« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2018, 06:49:28 PM »

Not sure why we are still talking about Poop if he was so irrelevant and not good enough to play. Seems like some are just hellbent on defending and justifying the Bombers decision
Jesse

« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2018, 06:52:28 PM »

Not sure why we are still talking about Poop if he was so irrelevant and not good enough to play. Seems like some are just hellbent on defending and justifying the Bombers decision

We're still talking because people disagree about what happened. Doesn't really matter if he was a 10 year all-star or a first year PR player.

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2018, 06:58:13 PM »

Seems like some are just hellbent on defending and justifying the Bombers decision

As opposed to those hell-bent on vilifying the organization for a personnel decision (see: TJ Thorpe, 2017) and vainly digging for storylines that simply don't exist (the team did Johnson dirty and now they're a weaker team for releasing him), not to mention overrating said player after he was benched.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
kkc60

« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2018, 06:59:21 PM »

LOL Cheesy

Give it a rest. And if I were you, I wouldn't accuse anyone else of a twisting a narrative considering some of what you said regarding his being benched (being mistreated by the team, releasing him was a miscalculation, he'll spill trade secrets to an opponent, etc.).

What's with your ongoing and over-the-top defense of Johnson, anyway? It's a bit odd, especially when he didn't live up to expectation this season.
What's more odd is the people talking as if Johnson was some lazy dud. No one had an issue with Johnson but now that he's gone he didn't live up to expectations etc.

He did actually. Again, he is a pass rushing tackle. That doesn't fit our scheme and that's fair and fine. But as a pass rusher he was above all our ends except Jeffcoat in QB pressures according to Derek Taylor.

He didn't fit our scheme and that's valid. But he is a good football player and we have no proof he was or is lazy. You say it's odd people are defending him. I think it's odd people are still trying to find new ways to downplay his on-field impact and his ability
kkc60

« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »

As opposed to those hell-bent on vilifying the organization for a personnel decision (see: TJ Thorpe, 2017) and vainly digging for storylines that simply don't exist (the team did Johnson dirty and now they're a weaker team for releasing him), not to mention overrating said player after he was benched.
I mean I would have tried to keep him. But I know the organization was backed into a corner. So saying the team is weaker for releasing him is a storyline that doesn't exist. (We are weaker btw. We literally have no dtackle depth) but yet saying he was lazy and wasn't following the scheme isn't.
GCn18

« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2018, 07:22:24 PM »

I mean I would have tried to keep him. But I know the organization was backed into a corner. So saying the team is weaker for releasing him is a storyline that doesn't exist. (We are weaker btw. We literally have no dtackle depth) but yet saying he was lazy and wasn't following the scheme isn't.

Go fight it out with Irving and Brown then. They are the ones who said it. My goodness you got your crap tied in a knot over this don't you. Poop was not playing well....the proof....he lost his freaking job halfway through the season. What more proof do you need?

kkc60

« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2018, 07:42:37 PM »

Go fight it out with Irving and Brown then. They are the ones who said it. My goodness you got your crap tied in a knot over this don't you. Poop was not playing well....the proof....he lost his freaking job halfway through the season. What more proof do you need?
I'm not gonna fight it because they can say what they think just as I can. I hate when players are called lazy because frankly they aren't. And I don't think so. I just have my opinion as do others. Just cuz it's different doesn't mean i have my crap tied in a knot. I'm not the one who changed a thread about Streveler into one about Poop
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2018, 07:53:37 PM »

What's more odd is the people talking as if Johnson was some lazy dud. No one had an issue with Johnson but now that he's gone he didn't live up to expectations etc.

He did actually. Again, he is a pass rushing tackle. That doesn't fit our scheme and that's fair and fine. But as a pass rusher he was above all our ends except Jeffcoat in QB pressures according to Derek Taylor.

He didn't fit our scheme and that's valid. But he is a good football player and we have no proof he was or is lazy. You say it's odd people are defending him. I think it's odd people are still trying to find new ways to downplay his on-field impact and his ability

I won't speculate on his work ethic because that is not my place. I highly doubt he's lazy. I'm simply taking things at face value and going by what happened (he was benched for another player), and then concluding he didn't live up to expectation (that being getting better and more well-rounded as a player). As a sophomore, he didn't seem to get better and was eventually replaced.

It is possible to be one-dimensional and still good. QB pressure in pass rushing is a great attribute to have but it can't be all you have, especially if there's someone behind you chomping at the bit who's more versatile. And I agree: this doesn't make him a lazy dud.

And I said the over-the-top defense is what's odd, especially when you consider he'd been idle for well over two months prior to being released. He was removed from the AR prior to the LDC and nobody here really seemed to bat an eye over it. IIRC, there were one or two comments on him being less impactful this season. But he gets released weeks later and it's somehow the end of the world. Personally, I don't get it.

He requested his release. So, should the team have disregarded said request and kept him on the PR only to have end up disgruntled (or perhaps more disgruntled than he already was)? I don't think that's a reasonable approach. I'm sure the two parties sat down and discussed possible options, though.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2018, 08:07:49 PM »

I'm not gonna fight it because they can say what they think just as I can. I hate when players are called lazy because frankly they aren't. And I don't think so. I just have my opinion as do others. Just cuz it's different doesn't mean i have my crap tied in a knot. I'm not the one who changed a thread about Streveler into one about Poop

Well, c'mon. Lazy players exist. People lose their jobs all the time for not putting in the work.

My wife is amazing!
booch

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »

I won't speculate on his work ethic because that is not my place. I highly doubt he's lazy. I'm simply taking things at face value and going by what happened (he was benched for another player), and then concluding he didn't live up to expectation (that being getting better and more well-rounded as a player). As a sophomore, he didn't seem to get better and was eventually replaced.

It is possible to be one-dimensional and still good. QB pressure in pass rushing is a great attribute to have but it can't be all you have, especially if there's someone behind you chomping at the bit who's more versatile. And I agree: this doesn't make him a lazy dud.

And I said the over-the-top defense is what's odd, especially when you consider he'd been idle for well over two months prior to being released. He was removed from the AR prior to the LDC and nobody here really seemed to bat an eye over it. IIRC, there were one or two comments on him being less impactful this season. But he gets released weeks later and it's somehow the end of the world. Personally, I don't get it.

He requested his release. So, should the team have disregarded said request and kept him on the PR only to have end up disgruntled (or perhaps more disgruntled than he already was)? I don't think that's a reasonable approach. I'm sure the two parties sat down and discussed possible options, though.

Claims he requested it...or "informed" the team he was going to leave a month ago...didn't want to leave the team high and dry and loved his team and didn't want to leave them high and dry.. and didn't ask for it the day of his release.

He also claims it's a "grudge match and he's out for blood"
Claims the team talked to him about certain "things" and some "things" they didn't tell him and the certain things...whatever they were after a while he couldn't take it no more. Also claimed it wasn't a situation that he wasn't playing good...and says he kept hearing it was a business decision..so he had to make one to and says "I had to get my business outta there!"

To me sounds like a whiner and locker room disruption and one who has no issue screwing over teammates....so really...good riddance
TecnoGenius

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2018, 08:47:22 PM »

I don't see anyone defending Poop as an all-star player or anything.  Instead, I see people in two camps:

a) Poop is bad, or one-dimensional, or no-effort, or bad sophomore year, or beat out by Bryant, or similar retroactively negativity about his play that no one (fan forum or coaches) expressed (publicly) prior to his benching;
or
b) Puzzled, middle-ground people who didn't really notice any bad play, bad botches, or chatter about his play prior to his benching; and perhaps think there is more to the (off-field) story than anyone knows.  Doesn't mean his play wasn't up to snuff, just means we weren't aware of it.

Some of the new tidbits you guys are posting today help to flesh out the story a bit.  It seems more and more likely that there was some sort of falling out between Poop and someone/everyone.  Harris and many of the D guys were always very high on and friendly with "Poopman", and then they just went silent, like he ceased to exist, around the time he was benched.  That, along with MOS's loyalty, and the fact we have zero DT depth, means almost certainly there's more to the story than just poopy play.

I will go back to his last few games and watch his play.  Sure, I'm no film study genius, but I'm pretty good at focussing on one player or group to get a sense of how they're doing.  And I'm not ignorant about what a DT is supposed to be doing.  If the miserable OTT loss was his last game then perhaps his play there was the final straw and something will be visible.  Maybe that was MOS's version of "there will be consequences".
Ridermania

« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »

Johnson was relegated to the practice roster, where he waited for another chance to play. When that didn't materialize, he approached Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea about being released.

I didn't ask for it the day of my release, Johnson said. I told them about a month in advance because I was going to give them time to recruit somebody else to replace me.

I love my team and I wasn't going to leave them high and dry. I told them at the end of the month that I was getting out of there.

Johnson was released Oct. 30, allowing him to sign with any team because he was on the Blue Bombers practice roster as a free agent.

The Riders contacted Johnson and announced his signing on Nov. 2.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:38:00 PM by Ridermania » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2018, 09:16:18 PM »

I love my team and I wasn?t going to leave them high and dry. I told them at the end of the month that I was getting out of there.?

In other words, an ultimatum: get me back on the field by playoffs or I'm quitting.

I think we'd all be a lot happier if Poop had just been up front about defecting to the Riders, rather than his obviously lie about "wanting to go home".  It's his right as a PR benchwarmer to switch teams, he should have just said "I want to play, I want the game cheques, so I'm going where I'll get them".  How hard would that have been?  I would respect him a heck of a lot more had he done that.
Jesse

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2018, 11:23:42 PM »

Zero people are retroactively saying anything. Poop lost his job several games ago. We all know this. It's a pretty easy leap to assume he was unhappy being on the PR and found his way on to another team.

I don't find him classless or anything like that. But I am certainly noticing Bryant more than I did Johnson earlier in the season.

My wife is amazing!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: