Blue Bombers Forum
November 17, 2018, 05:23:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where does Mike Reilly end up?  (Read 1018 times)
Horseman

« on: November 06, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »

Just throwing this out there as Mike Reilly is a FA and if he does not re-sign in Edmonton where is he likely to end up. I believe Chris Jones in Sask will make a BIG attempt to sign him for the Riders as he knows Collaros is not the answer at QB.
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 02:22:17 PM »

I don't see him leaving Edmonton.
Norlorne Dr.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »

Agreed.

Old member, new account.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:29:33 PM »

He will be back in BC.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 02:37:17 PM »

Depends what happens with Maas, IMO.

I could see the Lions making a serious play for Reilly but I'm sure Sunderland will do all he can to keep him.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »

Not sure but if he wants to go back to BC I bet it happens.
bluengold204

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »

BC or Toronto if he doesn't resign in Edmonton
rubanski

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »

He Resigns in Edmonton. Trestman goes to BC.

Edm only keeps Maas for Reilley, and fires him mid-season.
Norlorne Dr.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 03:15:02 PM »

He Resigns in Edmonton. Trestman goes to BC.

Edm only keeps Maas for Reilley, and fires him mid-season.

Re-signs I think you mean!  Resigns is a big difference!   Cheesy Grin

Old member, new account.
bluebeard

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 03:24:06 PM »

It's going to be an interesting off season.
Waffler

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 03:33:16 PM »

Someone will over pay. We'll see who wants all their eggs in one basket.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »

good point
thunderNlightning

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 03:38:05 PM »

Montreal will over pay and break the bank for him
Jesse

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 03:44:11 PM »

I really don't see him leaving Edmonton.

If he did, it would be for BC, because it is closer to home and because of his relationship with Ed Hervey.

There are no alternate options.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 03:49:33 PM »

Montreal will over pay and break the bank for him

He worked for Kavis before... think he wants to again?  There would be consequences...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 04:26:20 PM »

IMO he goes to Vancouver. Playing indoors is not a bad idea for a passing QB's that throws a lot of 50/50 balls to his receivers.

Edmonton is going to be a mess this off season. BC seems to be in better shape but coaching changes may change that quickly.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »

Probably BC but I think Edmonton could still retain him. Healthy Walker along with Hazelton, Mitchell and Stafford pretty tempting. Probably losing Williams though. Another dark horse candidate: Toronto
buckzumhoff

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 04:48:09 PM »

He will stay in Edmonton. Who else does Edmonton have at qb.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 04:58:34 PM »

I guess the question is which team(s) don't need to bid on Mike Reilly, ignoring for the time being other QBs free agency.  Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa are most "set" at QB, provided they re-sign their existing pivots.

BC is somewhat in the ether.  Jennings appears to be a bit of a bust.  Lulay simply is not a full season QB; best bet is he's healthy for 2/3 of the season at best.  So if Lulay transitions to coaching in the off season, BC is a definite possibility.

Saskatchewan - they'd be stupid not to.  Collaros isn't a full season QB, Bridge isn't the heir apparent, and Tate's insurance.

Toronto - Franklin hasn't shown he can live up to the hype, at least yet.

Montreal - 6 backups, no starters

Edmonton - without Reilly, they are dead in the water

My instinct says Edmonton or BC, Sask being the outlier.  I can see both Montreal and Toronto offering more, depends on whether or not Reilly wants to win.
theaardvark

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 05:11:20 PM »

BC has the combination of being reuinted with Lulay and Hervey, and being closer to home.  IF he leaves Edm, and depending on what Edmonton does to the front office, which I can't see them doing anything, he should end up in BC, as they will pay him whatever he wants, as much as anyone else.  They might even use the "go see what you can sign for and we'll match it..."

There is going to be a lot of panic in the QB market come Feb.  There are only a handful of quality proven starters, adnd an even smaller group of future starters, and the AAFLFL eating up 24 prospects.  So finding the next one is going to be tough.  Walters is so lucky not to have that worry right now, not sure Bennett's contract status, if he is signed for next year, we have an awesome QB battery and Walters will be able to focus elsewhere on his personnel.  Something no other GM will have the luxury of, except maybe Hamilton. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
lenny

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »

Somebody is going to offer him a pile of money. Toronto is very probable as they desperately need a starting QB and need to put rear ends in seats. He's won a Grey Cup in Edmonton so another challenge. BC is also possible. With him as starter and Lulay backup you may have one of the strongest 1-2 combinations in football and it's unfinished business for Reilly there. This is not to rule out Edmonton because they also are prepared to open the bank on this one.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 05:44:30 PM »

Somebody is going to offer him a pile of money. Toronto is very probable as they desperately need a starting QB and need to put rear ends in seats. He's won a Grey Cup in Edmonton so another challenge. BC is also possible. With him as starter and Lulay backup you may have one of the strongest 1-2 combinations in football and it's unfinished business for Reilly there. This is not to rule out Edmonton because they also are prepared to open the bank on this one.

Time to institute an individual salary cap before the bidding gets under way which will make Reilly the highest paid player in the league and stretch the allocation of SMS dollars in the wrong direction.  Reilly's new contract will have a residual effect on all upcoming QB contracts and will only increase the divide between the rich at the top and the poor at the bottom of the salary ladder, which should not be in line with either the CFL or CFPA salary management goals.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:47:31 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 05:47:53 PM »

Probably BC but I think Edmonton could still retain him. Healthy Walker along with Hazelton, Mitchell and Stafford pretty tempting. Probably losing Williams though. Another dark horse candidate: Toronto
half or all those guys are FA themselves.

booch

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 09:26:53 PM »

I guess the question is which team(s) don't need to bid on Mike Reilly, ignoring for the time being other QBs free agency.  Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa are most "set" at QB, provided they re-sign their existing pivots.

BC is somewhat in the ether.  Jennings appears to be a bit of a bust.  Lulay simply is not a full season QB; best bet is he's healthy for 2/3 of the season at best.  So if Lulay transitions to coaching in the off season, BC is a definite possibility.

Saskatchewan - they'd be stupid not to.  Collaros isn't a full season QB, Bridge isn't the heir apparent, and Tate's insurance.

Toronto - Franklin hasn't shown he can live up to the hype, at least yet.

Montreal - 6 backups, no starters

Edmonton - without Reilly, they are dead in the water

My instinct says Edmonton or BC, Sask being the outlier.  I can see both Montreal and Toronto offering more, depends on whether or not Reilly wants to win.

Sask didn't want to pay Durant what market value would have got him..and made Zack restructure cause he was too costly...I doubt that they will pay what Reilly will command....but hope they do...because that is about 200k in salary they will have to trim elsewhere...and all their money is tied up on there defense...so kiss that top 2 or 3 defense goodbye
buckzumhoff

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 09:30:29 PM »

He shouldn't be the highest paid player. Didn't make the playoffs. Someone wants to pay him like Toronto. I would not be surprised. Any quarterbacks who didn't make the playoffs probably shouldn't get a raise. Hes making more than anyone now, but paying him more will make him play better . I doubt it. Happy with the quarterbacks we have so, we can stay at a decent pay for a quarterback.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:32:23 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
kkc60

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 09:34:15 PM »

He shouldn't be the highest paid player. Didn't make the playoffs. Someone wants to pay him like Toronto. I would not be surprised. Any quarterbacks who didn't make the playoffs probably shouldn't get a raise. Hes making more than anyone now, but paying him more will make him play better . I doubt it. Happy with the quarterbacks we have so, we can stay at a decent pay for a quarterback.
That's weird logic. Sure he didn't make the playoffs but you gotta look at performance too. QB is an important position but it's not the only position
Pigskin

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 10:03:45 PM »

Bo and MR will probably go where the money is. With that said RM in BC, Bo will probably stay in Calgary. Collaris should retire.
Cool Spot

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 10:10:19 PM »

He will most likely go to Toronto.

Why?

Like it or not, Toronto is Canada's most important market. It has the highest population and the most corporate sponsorship. The league has a vested interest in ensuring that Toronto has a decent team, and right now without a good QB, Toronto is terrible.

Remember that there are multiple instances where elite QB's have gone to the Argonauts - all from a western team:

1. 1990 - Matt Dunigan (from BC)
2. 1996 - Doug Flutie (from Calgary)
3. 2003 - Damon Allen (from BC)
4. 2012 - Ricky Ray (from Edmonton)

Don't know about the rest of you, but I see a pattern here. And, lo-and-behold, either the same year or the year after the elite QB moves to Toronto, the Argos have a turnaround year and win the Grey Cup. So, I'm betting on Toronto.
dd

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 11:05:16 PM »

If he went to BC, he?d be taking his buddy Lulay?s job away, can?t see him wanting to do that unless Lulay wants to becomes a backup now
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 11:11:02 PM »

He will go to the highest bidder

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Jesse

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 03:03:35 AM »

He will most likely go to Toronto.

Why?

Like it or not, Toronto is Canada's most important market. It has the highest population and the most corporate sponsorship. The league has a vested interest in ensuring that Toronto has a decent team, and right now without a good QB, Toronto is terrible.

Remember that there are multiple instances where elite QB's have gone to the Argonauts - all from a western team:

1. 1990 - Matt Dunigan (from BC)
2. 1996 - Doug Flutie (from Calgary)
3. 2003 - Damon Allen (from BC)
4. 2012 - Ricky Ray (from Edmonton)

Don't know about the rest of you, but I see a pattern here. And, lo-and-behold, either the same year or the year after the elite QB moves to Toronto, the Argos have a turnaround year and win the Grey Cup. So, I'm betting on Toronto.

Well, that's conspiracy nonsense in my opinion.

Dunigan played for half the league. He was a hired mercenary who switched teams with every contract. And he, along with Flutie, played in the days of non-enforced salary caps and made more money than QBs are making now - 20 years later.

Toronto was the last of six different teams for Allen, twice with Edmonton. Why do you only see a trend only to Toronto ? Because that's all you want to see.

My wife is amazing!
dd

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 04:37:10 AM »

He will go to the place where he can enjoy success and get paid handsomely. Where he goes will depend on who the HC snd OC are, who his receiving corps is and will the team compete for the grey cup. If BLM doesn?t sign with Calgary , I wouldn?t be surprised to see MR go there. I can also see him Re-signing with Edmonton, and if B.C. hires a QB friendly HC or OC (trestman), I can see him going there as well.

I can?t see him going to Montreal or Toronto as they are too unstable and uncompetitive ?he wants to win and right now.

Assuming Calgary re signs BLM, I see him staying put (likely) or going to bc
3rdand1.5

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 11:20:11 AM »

Time to institute an individual salary cap before the bidding gets under way which will make Reilly the highest paid player in the league and stretch the allocation of SMS dollars in the wrong direction.  Reilly's new contract will have a residual effect on all upcoming QB contracts and will only increase the divide between the rich at the top and the poor at the bottom of the salary ladder, which should not be in line with either the CFL or CFPA salary management goals.

this I agree with
Waffler

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »

He will go to the highest bidder
Agreed. He's old. Mid 30's. He has a Grey Cup, could be his last contract. He'll go where he's most over paid, the rest is just noise.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:42:13 AM by Waffler » Logged

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 01:24:58 PM »

Sask didn't want to pay Durant what market value would have got him..and made Zack restructure cause he was too costly...I doubt that they will pay what Reilly will command....but hope they do...because that is about 200k in salary they will have to trim elsewhere...and all their money is tied up on there defense...so kiss that top 2 or 3 defense goodbye

While I don't disagree with your theory, I think it really hinges on how they do in the playoffs.  If the Bombers bounce them out in the WSF, I suspect Jones is going to have to go spend more money on QBs, as it will have shown out that you can only carry a team so far with a defense.  And it's not like Collaros is making under market.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »

Well, that's conspiracy nonsense in my opinion.

Dunigan played for half the league. He was a hired mercenary who switched teams with every contract. And he, along with Flutie, played in the days of non-enforced salary caps and made more money than QBs are making now - 20 years later.

Toronto was the last of six different teams for Allen, twice with Edmonton. Why do you only see a trend only to Toronto ? Because that's all you want to see.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
GCn18

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »

I have no doubt that Edmonton will show him the money. If he goes anywhere it is to BC, for comparable dollars, to be close to home.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blueraid

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 05:53:23 PM »

I know one thing, Hervey AND the dollars will come calling, so Edm. better be prepared to open up the vault... Don't know why, but I have a hunch we'll see him in orange and black next year....my guess
Leroy

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 10:30:55 AM »

Dave Campbell on Twitter: "Jason Maas tonight on the #Eskimos Coaches Show on @630CHED says the decision has been made about his future. He will be back as the head coach for the 2019 season. Says he?s leaning towards not being the O.C. Likely will promote within the coaching staff. #CFL" / Twitter
https://mobile.twitter.com/Dave_CHED/status/1060364916962381824

If he stays in Edmonton it looks like Maas will be his coach.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 12:04:42 PM »

Dave Campbell on Twitter: "Jason Maas tonight on the #Eskimos Coaches Show on @630CHED says the decision has been made about his future. He will be back as the head coach for the 2019 season. Says he?s leaning towards not being the O.C. Likely will promote within the coaching staff. #CFL" / Twitter
https://mobile.twitter.com/Dave_CHED/status/1060364916962381824

If he stays in Edmonton it looks like Maas will be his coach.
strange occurance he is basically calling his own shots. Schmos have not announced nothing. It would be hilarious if they can him after this.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: