Blue Bombers Forum
November 16, 2018, 04:02:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles Nelson  (Read 1537 times)
bigbuff33

« on: November 04, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »

Very impressed...checked out his numbers...some serious talent...
Gotta find a way to get him in the lineup..perhaps the return threat we've been looking for.
blueraid

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 02:42:12 PM »

Definitely better than Fogg....find a way O'Shea....We need that improvement on special teams definitely in the playoffs
Ducky

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 02:47:12 PM »

Watching some Oregon Ducks highlights - he also played DB for the Ducks and threw a couple TD passes.  Just an all around good athlete.
Pigskin

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 02:48:09 PM »

He also covered well on teams yesterday.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 02:52:59 PM »

Agreed he needs to start

No fumblitus here right?

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »

I mentioned it once earlier but is there a chance they could replace Thompkins with Nelson going forward this season. I'm not suggesting releasing Thompkins just sending him to 1 game IR.

I like Thompkins but he isn't getting many opportunities lately. Nelson might add in some extra versatility on returns, sweeps, runs and even trick plays ( passes ).

My only concern would be whether Thompkins is used much in blocking assignments that Nelson might not be able to handle. He's the size of Dressler.

In any case he showed enough to get another chance in TC 2019 IMO.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 04:08:34 PM »

I mentioned it once earlier but is there a chance they could replace Thompkins with Nelson going forward this season. I'm not suggesting releasing Thompkins just sending him to 1 game IR.

I like Thompkins but he isn't getting many opportunities lately. Nelson might add in some extra versatility on returns, sweeps, runs and even trick plays ( passes ).

My only concern would be whether Thompkins is used much in blocking assignments that Nelson might not be able to handle. He's the size of Dressler.

In any case he showed enough to get another chance in TC 2019 IMO.
It seems Nichols has kinda forgotten about Thompkins which is too bad because he definitely is a starter in this league. Nelson could add a nice wrinkle to our offence too. Perhaps replacing Dressler next year (or Demski)
Colton

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 04:08:42 PM »

Definitely better than Fogg....find a way O'Shea....We need that improvement on special teams definitely in the playoffs

7 yards on 4 returns is better than Fogg?
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 04:52:35 PM »

7 yards on 4 returns is better than Fogg?
he did better on KOs....got us past the 35 which hasn't happened recently!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
the paw

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 04:56:25 PM »

Nelson is basically the same as Lankford on kick returns, he was TERRIBLE on punt returns, and his receiving numbers were pedestrian.  In fact, because 30 of his 35 yds receiving was YAC, one might conclude that he isn't a bona fide top flight receiver, but one of those "exciting" guys that they throw 1 yard screens to and hope he makes something happen.  (a la the Quincy McDuffie experiment on offence).

I'm not saying we shouldn't bring him back next year, but neither should we be crowning him as the next great thing either.  

If there was anyone who strengthened their case for next year, it was Johnny Augustine.  I didn't really watch him in protection, but LaFrance better watch his back....

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 05:07:55 PM »

Nelson is basically the same as Lankford on kick returns, he was TERRIBLE on punt returns, and his receiving numbers were pedestrian.  In fact, because 30 of his 35 yds receiving was YAC, one might conclude that he isn't a bona fide top flight receiver, but one of those "exciting" guys that they throw 1 yard screens to and hope he makes something happen.  (a la the Quincy McDuffie experiment on offence).

I'm not saying we shouldn't bring him back next year, but neither should we be crowning him as the next great thing either.  

If there was anyone who strengthened their case for next year, it was Johnny Augustine.  I didn't really watch him in protection, but LaFrance better watch his back....

I don't think anyone is crowning him the next great thing just yet. Very small sample but I did like both his quickness and his shifty running style.

At this point it just earns him a ticket to TC 2019. However he does seem to have some natural athleticism that might be interesting.

No more excuses.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 05:17:57 PM »

Augustine hits the holes quicker and has some power as well....he made an impression on MOS as well so....so yeah I think he has great potential!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Knocker42

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »

When he eventually gets the ball into his hands Nelson looks decent on kickoff returns but his punt returns were not at all good.  However, I believe our return team has been adversely affected by injuries to people like Corney and Gauthier, so we probably won't really know about him this season.  He let a couple of kicks bounce when they should have been caught.  That will need to be fixed.

This is, to me, a typical example of what happens when a new player comes in.  We all, and I include myself, get excited when the new guy does something good and ignore the faults.  Just exactly the opposite of how we see the veterans.   Same applies with Streveler and Nichols.
We rightly enjoy Streveler's running but if Nichols failed to see open receivers as Streveler did in the first half, he would be crucified by many.
Colton

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »

he did better on KOs....got us past the 35 which hasn't happened recently!

Fogg doesn't return kicks
In Motion

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »

I've found our returners all hesitate. I know they're looking for an opening,
but by the time they've taken that second or two to look, the cover team
has converged on them. Just go! I also blame our blocking on returns.
It's pretty much non-existent in my opinion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: