Blue Bombers Forum
November 17, 2018, 07:21:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Playoff Bound Edition  (Read 1547 times)
BlueInCgy

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2018, 10:35:07 PM »

The Good
- We enter the playoffs under our own merit, not relying on others
- Nichols had his best game in a long time
- Best game by our receivers this season.  Adams had the game we have been waiting for all year, Woli turned on the burners when needed, Dressler did what Dressler does
- Bighill and JSK were absolutely lethal.  I always thought Solly made Bighill look good, I am starting to think it was the other way around.
- Harris only operates in beast mode apparently.
- Sayles laying the smack down.

The Bad
- Fogg got owned for the better part of the game.  The size difference between him and Matthews did him in.
- Too many dropped INTs.  Think there were three.
- Demski fumble.
- Our return game still sucks.

The Ugly
- Apparently MOS was trying to make it look like the 61 yard FG attempt or the bad field position fakes weren?t the dumbest plays he has called with the 3rd and 1 try.
- Chris Matthews in red and black.  He would look much better in blue and gold.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:49:32 PM by BlueInCgy » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2018, 11:07:52 PM »

Here's the thing though... it wasn't. The TSN guys once again picked a stupid battle with the refs. Hear me out.

There was no camera angle that shows him clearly demonstrating control of the ball as he falls and makes contact with the ground. One thing the commentators seemed to miss is the angle that shows him bobbling the ball as he falls, a split second before he hits the ground. And that is during the time period when he supposedly broke the plane. So, while the shot of him holding the ball while lying on the ground makes it seem like a touchdown, it's not like he caught it, broke the plane, landed, and then a defender knocked it loose. His bobbling of the ball while he was breaking the plane calls into question whether he had sufficient control to have called it a touchdown, even if he had held onto the ball after hitting the ground and getting hit.

100% right Jeremy.  I'd take it farther: I looked at it in depth and I couldn't see proof that a WPG defender actually touched the ball.  They keep saying he slapped it out but I can't see him actually touching the ball.  If someone knows the precise moment he touches the ball, and where, let me know.

Now if no D touched the ball it becomes a matter of having control and surviving the ground.  I don't see how anyone can say he survived the ground when the ball pops out a split second after falling.  And he must survive the ground because he never took a step with the ball: the catch was a diving/falling catch the whole way.

It looks to me like he caught the ball in his hands, went to secure it into his body, but secured it high on his chest and the ball kept creeping up and when he hit the ground it bumped on his helmet and got knocked out.  Our D was very close, but didn't actually contact the ball IMHO.

Also, the closest ref was very adamant about what he saw.  And with the fog and bad angles I don't see how command can overturn it.  I would be shocked if command apologizes ("botched call") during the week.

The way we were playing in the 2nd half, I don't see CGY winning even if they get that TD.  They were 0 and 2 (or 3?) on the night for 2-pointers.  And the best they could do was tie if they then got a FG (a big "if").  It was like the OTT game: we just outplayed them and there was no way we were going to lose.
jeremy q public

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »

I agree with ModAdmin.

The difference between your opinion and mine is that I've written an in-depth explanation for why it is true. So has TecnoGenius.

You haven't countered those explanations at all. You've just blindly parroted the TSN desk opinion.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:07:14 PM by jeremy q public » Logged
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »

The difference between your opinion and mine is that I've written an in-depth explanation for why it is true. So has TecnoGenius.

You haven't countered those explanations at all. You've just blindly parroted the TSN desk opinion.

Yeah I hear you - only one problem with your point of view - at the end of the day it is just your opinion - same as TB!
Jesse

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »

I don't even know what you mean. Tburg has more than explained his thoughts and reasons about his feelings for this team (over many years).

My wife is amazing!
TBURGESS

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2018, 09:15:45 PM »

I don't see a camera angle that proves either opinion. No definitive angle doesn't mean that it wasn't a TD any more than it means there was.

The CFL tweeted afterwards that their wasn't a camera angle that was definitive enough to overturn the call on the field. See the other thread where I posted the actual tweet and the rules, if you want a more in-depth explanation. If it had been called a TD on the field that would have stood too and we'd be still having the a disagreement about if it was a TD or not.

The actual problem with my point of view is that it doesn't match your point of view.

Being right never gets old.
jeremy q public

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 12:04:44 AM »

I don't see a camera angle that proves either opinion. No definitive angle doesn't mean that it wasn't a TD any more than it means there was.

Then go look at the camera angle that shows him bobbling it as he crosses the plane. Explain how a player can score a touchdown while crossing the plane for a fraction of a second when he clearly doesn't have possession of the ball.

The CFL tweeted afterwards that their wasn't a camera angle that was definitive enough to overturn the call on the field.

Sure, and that's all they ever have to say. Because that's all that's required to not overturn the call.

If it had been called a TD on the field that would have stood too and we'd be still having the a disagreement about if it was a TD or not.

Not necessarily. Overturning this call would be more complicated because it would also mean deciding whether it was incomplete or whether it was a completion that wasn't a TD. They didn't have enough evidence to make that distinction. Also, the fact that we have a camera angle of him bobbling it while crossing the plane is actually pretty clear evidence that it's not a TD, so I can definitely see them overturning it in that case.

But just to be clear, they did call it a TD on the field, and they had the best viewpoint to make that call. So to review, your argument is that even though the people with the best view of it thought it wasn't a TD, and the people charged with finding fault with their decision making could not find fault with it, you still think it was a TD. Ok.
jeremy q public

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2018, 12:05:25 AM »

I don't even know what you mean. Tburg has more than explained his thoughts and reasons about his feelings for this team (over many years).

Huh I meant specific to this topic, thread, whatever. I didn't see at the time that there was another thread dedicated to it.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2018, 05:40:36 AM »

But just to be clear, they did call it a TD on the field, and they had the best viewpoint to make that call. So to review, your argument is that even though the people with the best view of it thought it wasn't a TD, and the people charged with finding fault with their decision making could not find fault with it, you still think it was a TD. Ok.

Nope, they called it an incomplete pass on the field.  The LOS ref is waving it off and screaming at BLM/#15 right away that he didn't have control.  Then Foxcroft says the ruling stands.

The reason they reviewed it at all is the new-this-year "review everything that might be a score" rule.

I think the whole process worked quite well in this case.  The problem seems to be the ambiguity of the rules regarding this precise situation (diving catch, contact with D, ball is out), made worse by crossing the plane with control or not.

I think we should put all of this talk on that other thread.  I didn't see it at first either on game day, and I apologize for dragging the conversation here at first.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 05:54:13 AM »

GOOD
  • 1Q6:16 Nevis plowing through OL to get to Jackson for a shoestring save of probably massive yards; wow!
  • 1Q2:57 on the FF, our D guys were playing perfectly in synch: Hecht holds the leg to stop progress, Fogg then gets under and is actually working to hold Matthews up off the ground, for JSK to get in and knock it out.  You can't execute MOS/Hall's D any better than that.
  • 2Q12:17 Harris... OMG.  Nichols breaks 4 tackles to huck it to Harris who then breaks an impossible 4 tackles to get 15 YAC.  There aren't enough words.  And again at 3Q1:50.
  • 2Q10:21 Hecht showing his talent: a) guessing which way the ball is going correctly and being in the picture; and b) monster motoring with speed to tackle Matthews; Fogg BTW was about 6 inches away from a knockdown.
  • 2Q9:01 Okpa super motor to tackle BLM into OOB
  • 4Q6:06 Fogg knocks away what would have been a huge yardage catch
  • The missed BigChris gamble on 3rd&1 is totally the right call by MOS.  It was exactly 1 yard, not more, and BigChris should get that yard every time, just like LeFevour did 100% of the time in '17.  The screwup was by the OL and Strev, not MOS.  MOS told us many times earlier in the year, especially on the Coaches Show that he will always go for it on 3rd & 1 and under.  Always.  Chris needs to learn how to make them all.  Reilly did it, Feve did it, Chris can do it.
  • Stopping all CGY's 2-pointers, moving them either to even or worse than if they had just kicked 1-pointers for the entire year.
  • Great evening for football, even with the fog!

BAD
  • Nothing

UGLY
  • 4Q4:42 MOS is yelling "it's the same thing, he speared him" and he's right, Singleton HoH'd Dressler just like WPG got UR for early in the game, but no call against CGY.  No one really cared by that point.
  • Harris dislocated finger??
  • All the hate for Fogg again: on the bad big play he was right there with his hand about 6 inches away from the ball, and he had help from Hecht.  Even in his botches he wasn't beat or bust.  A few more inches and those plays go our way.  I'm not concerned.
jeremy q public

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 10:15:33 PM »

Nope, they called it an incomplete pass on the field.  The LOS ref is waving it off and screaming at BLM/#15 right away that he didn't have control.  Then Foxcroft says the ruling stands.

The reason they reviewed it at all is the new-this-year "review everything that might be a score" rule.

I think the whole process worked quite well in this case.  The problem seems to be the ambiguity of the rules regarding this precise situation (diving catch, contact with D, ball is out), made worse by crossing the plane with control or not.

I think we should put all of this talk on that other thread.  I didn't see it at first either on game day, and I apologize for dragging the conversation here at first.

Oops, I meant to say "didn't."
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: