Blue Bombers Forum
November 17, 2018, 05:20:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Playoff Bound Edition  (Read 1542 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« on: October 27, 2018, 05:49:35 AM »

The Good

- over 500 yards of offence
- strong offensive and defensive performance
- Nichols over 300 yards passing
- win to clinch a playoff spot
- Marcus Sayles continued improvement - in the discussion for Rookie of the Year
- Bighill > than Singleton

The Bad

- missed interceptions
- kick return game
- Rogers non-touchdown - it was

The Ugly

Nothing to say about the Bombers; Stamps look to be in big trouble though

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 05:58:13 AM »

The Good
2nd half, the D, Nichols, Harris, Adams, Dress, Medlock
The Bad
red zone production
The Ugly
MOS gamble late in game 3rd down

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
DM83

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »

I think one of the best Bimber played games I Have ever seen. 
The Stampeders and the Bombers played an excellent "match" against each other.  Good plays on both sides.

The Good
Defense was superb.
Mic'd up. Announcers actually shut up and we could hear a lot of the audio.
Bimbers offence
Nichols,
o line
Harris
Adams
Demski
Wojo
Strevler
Dressler
Philosophy and identity of. Going to go get the first down.  Not the results but the attitude
Bighill and Santos-Knox are becoming intimidating to play against
Hecht

The Bad
Nichols hair
Failed third down gamble
Fog
Fogg he can't tackle.  His coverage playing the ball technique is Wrong.

The Ugly
Bomber Punt returns why don't they block?
Injuries for the Stamps, and other. Teams.  Front runners  now mediocre, mediocre not front runners.  Maybe that's a good?
Where was Sarah?
Stretch

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »

Good/Bad: The live mic picking up Dave Dickinson crying to the officials all game.

It's good because he was losing, and it's bad because it added nothing to the live mic experience (which I'm personally not a fan of, but that's just me).

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
TBURGESS

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »

The Good:
  • Nichols - Finally got 300+ yards and upped his deep ball %. Missed 2 TD's when our receivers were behind the defense in the end-zone, but that didn't matter because he hit several other deep balls.
  • Clinching a playoff spot.
  • Bighill - Another strip. More pressures. All over the field.
  • Adams - Got open deep often against a rookie DB in his second game.
  • Santos-Knox - Maybe his best game of the season. Made a ton of great plays.
  • Wolo - Just the one catch but what a great play.
  • Finally beating Calgary in a game that mattered. Got that Gorilla off our backs.
The Bad:
  • Demski's fumble. Luckily our defense bailed us out.
  • Missed a couple of Int's that hit our DB's hands.
  • Kick return game.
  • Fog made it hard to see.
The Ugly:
  • MOS getting talked into going for it late in the 4th when we needed a full yard. Just punt the ball.

Being right never gets old.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 01:01:14 PM »

The good   The Fog  made it interesting. Bombers defense held . Adams making the long catch.
The Bad. Punting wasn't the greatest. boomed one on the last punt sent Calgary back.
The Ugly  Gambling on 3rd down when up by 11 points?  Especially Nichols trying to run 2 yards for a first down. At lest bring in Streveller for that one. That could have lost the game right there. but luckily the defense held them to 3.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 01:04:40 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 01:12:16 PM »

The Good

- Tburg's bullet pointed Good, bad, and ugly
- Following up our performance against the Riders with a win against Calgary. I was worried about the bye week placement but we continue to look good.
- Matt: he's playing like we expected him to all season. What was happening earlier in the year?
- Adam Bighill: he's not only convincing the league he's the MODP, he's getting significant consideration as MOP.
- Harris had the game we needed to him to have.
- Darvin Adam, much like Matty, is finally playing like we expected him to.

The Bad

- Harris has likely lost the rushing title - time to give him lots of rest next week.
- Watching the game at my parents house. They only have one TSN channel which was showing the Jets game. Listened to the first have on CJOB and was able to watch the second half once the Jets game ended.

The Ugly

- My PVR only recorded the second half of the game. Did they just not air the first half yesterday?
- The Fogg covering WRs in the fog jokes. Major eye roll.
- The dropper INTs. It ultimately worked out, but you can't make those mistakes against Calgary and expect to win. That will hold true in the play offs as well. The team that doesn't make those mental mistakes will win.

My wife is amazing!
WpgGuyInToronto

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 01:16:02 PM »

The bad? The kick returning is just brutal. This could pose a problem in a close game in the playoffs.

#1 Bomber fan in Tdot
Jesse

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »

The bad? The kick returning is just brutal. This could pose a problem in a close game in the playoffs.

That too.

My wife is amazing!
kkc60

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »

The Good
Offense
Defense
Medlock

Bad
Early on our D didn't look too good.

Ugly
KW saying we didn't have interest in Chris Matthews. The guy is a stud. Why you would burn a bridge like that, I dunno.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 01:48:01 PM »

Ugly:Neufeld getting rag-dolled by Micah Johnson a couple of times.
Pigskin

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 01:51:15 PM »

Good: The O in the second half. D played another very good game. ST's coverage was very good. We are in the play-off.

Bad: Fogg in the 1st. half. Seemed a little lost. dropped Int's. return game.

Ugly. DD
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »

Good
Nichols - his best game in over a year (70%+ comp., 350+ yards, 2 TDs)
Harris - another strong game from the straw that stirs the drink
Adams - he and Nichols had great chemistry last night, especially on that TD bomb
Dressler - some clutch plays and he eclipses the 10K yard mark
Bighill - Another monster game
defense - as a whole, they were very good save for a few breakdowns
fog - fun, spooky ambience to a late October game with Halloween just around the corner

Bad
Fogg - a very lousy night all-around for him (that dropped INT was a microcosm of his Friday night, IMO)
Demski's fumble (he needs to learn when to just give up and go down)

Ugly
the botched third down gamble late in 4th quarter (just horribly executed)

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Waffler

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 02:47:50 PM »

Stamps look to be in big trouble though

Bob Irving thinks anyone writing off the Stamps is making a mistake. They still likely finish first, get rested and rarely lose at home.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

Fort Hew

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 02:50:27 PM »

Bob Irving thinks anyone writing off the Stamps is making a mistake. They still likely finish first, get rested and rarely lose at home.

Knuckles is spot on. And I have to agree.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 05:13:34 PM »

3 or 4 weeks can make a big difference, if the Stamps get enough players back from injury they could easily make the plays that turn losses into wins, certainly not writing them off they are dangerous.
John T.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 05:40:34 PM »

I've been saying for the past three years that if the Bombers had played the Stamps in the playoffs, home or away, the Bombers would have beat them - the Calgary choke come early.

Of course there's no way to prove that, because we didn't play them in the playoffs, but every year I felt like the semi-final against Edmonton or BC or whoever was going to be a lot harder than the final against Calgary, and sure enough, we lost the semi-final every year.

I'm still not convinced Calgary can beat us...ever...in the playoffs. If Bombers finish third, I'm a lot more scared of the Riders than the Stamps. If Bombers finish fourth, a Winnipeg-BC Grey Cup wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Unfortunately, BC scares me the most of any team right now.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »

I've been saying for the past three years that if the Bombers had played the Stamps in the playoffs, home or away, the Bombers would have beat them - the Calgary choke come early.

Of course there's no way to prove that, because we didn't play them in the playoffs, but every year I felt like the semi-final against Edmonton or BC or whoever was going to be a lot harder than the final against Calgary, and sure enough, we lost the semi-final every year.

I'm still not convinced Calgary can beat us...ever...in the playoffs. If Bombers finish third, I'm a lot more scared of the Riders than the Stamps. If Bombers finish fourth, a Winnipeg-BC Grey Cup wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Unfortunately, BC scares me the most of any team right now.

I agree B.C. is the most dangerous with Lulay in there.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 05:46:26 PM »

I agree B.C. is the most dangerous with Lulay in there.

I second that! However hard to figure out where Calgary will be when the playoffs start - who gets back and who does not. Riders at home will also be tough if it comes to that. If I had my choice though I would rather play the Riders in the home barn that go into BC Place if it comes to that.
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 05:48:13 PM »

I second that! However hard to figure out where Calgary will be when the playoffs start - who gets back and who does not. Riders at home will also be tough if it comes to that. If I had my choice though I would rather play the Riders in the home barn that go into BC Place if it comes to that.

I don't think it's possible for Bombers to play WSF at BCP. If Lions finish 2nd we're the crossover team.

No more excuses.
barbk

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 05:56:00 PM »

Good:
Nichols confidence is back, and our O line pretty much protecting him for most of the game.
Our defence holding BLM and Calgary to 56 yards in 3rd quarter.

Bad:
Demski fumbling on return.  Our punt and kick off returns.

Ugly:
Harris dislocating his fingers (Ouch)
Jesse

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 05:58:13 PM »

I don't think it's possible for Bombers to play WSF at BCP. If Lions finish 2nd we're the crossover team.

True beans. We won't play BC unless it's in the Grey Cup.

My wife is amazing!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 06:02:00 PM »

Good

Harris amazing
Nichols solid
Outstanding defensive putting

Bad

$4.85 sold out in entire east upper deck before opening kick off , WOW what a scammy rip off

Ugly

My liver today

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
jeremy q public

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 06:24:43 PM »

- Rogers non-touchdown - it was

Here's the thing though... it wasn't. The TSN guys once again picked a stupid battle with the refs. Hear me out.

There was no camera angle that shows him clearly demonstrating control of the ball as he falls and makes contact with the ground. One thing the commentators seemed to miss is the angle that shows him bobbling the ball as he falls, a split second before he hits the ground. And that is during the time period when he supposedly broke the plane. So, while the shot of him holding the ball while lying on the ground makes it seem like a touchdown, it's not like he caught it, broke the plane, landed, and then a defender knocked it loose. His bobbling of the ball while he was breaking the plane calls into question whether he had sufficient control to have called it a touchdown, even if he had held onto the ball after hitting the ground and getting hit.

Now... maybe the refs would've called it differently if he had held onto that ball, and then maybe the evidence against it wouldn't have been enough for the review to overturn it. That's the nature of the replay... they have to go with the call on the field when the evidence is that controversial. But the fact is that he didn't hold onto the ball, the refs made the call they did, and that call made sense under the intense scrutiny of review, given his bobbling.
Tehedra

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 06:41:24 PM »

Agreed with Jeremy
TBURGESS

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2018, 07:01:25 PM »

Agreed with Jeremy
I agree with ModAdmin.

bomb squad

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »

They're a virtual lock for first. They either back in today with a BC win, or if Sask wins, BC plays a soft lineup against them the week after. 
kkc60

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 08:32:49 PM »

Another ugly after re-watching: Kevin Fogg. The guy just got beat up on
blue girl

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2018, 08:55:53 PM »

The Good
We're in the playoffs and will have a winning record for 3 years in a row.
The Offence
The Defence

The Bad
Our kick returners.

The Ugly
Absolutely nothing
TecnoGenius

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2018, 10:23:50 PM »

Where was Sarah?

Fog makes her hair all frizzy?   Cheesy

This fog is annoying. I'm here in San Diego watching with others. What is going on that is causing the fog?

Weather?  Grin

Kidding aside: it rained all day and then the temp dipped to 6C then back up to near 8C, letting all that moisture lift back up into the air.  Doesn't help that the wind was from the south, and south of IGF is a massive field.  It's like fog coming up off the Scottish moors.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2018, 10:35:07 PM »

The Good
- We enter the playoffs under our own merit, not relying on others
- Nichols had his best game in a long time
- Best game by our receivers this season.  Adams had the game we have been waiting for all year, Woli turned on the burners when needed, Dressler did what Dressler does
- Bighill and JSK were absolutely lethal.  I always thought Solly made Bighill look good, I am starting to think it was the other way around.
- Harris only operates in beast mode apparently.
- Sayles laying the smack down.

The Bad
- Fogg got owned for the better part of the game.  The size difference between him and Matthews did him in.
- Too many dropped INTs.  Think there were three.
- Demski fumble.
- Our return game still sucks.

The Ugly
- Apparently MOS was trying to make it look like the 61 yard FG attempt or the bad field position fakes weren?t the dumbest plays he has called with the 3rd and 1 try.
- Chris Matthews in red and black.  He would look much better in blue and gold.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:49:32 PM by BlueInCgy » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2018, 11:07:52 PM »

Here's the thing though... it wasn't. The TSN guys once again picked a stupid battle with the refs. Hear me out.

There was no camera angle that shows him clearly demonstrating control of the ball as he falls and makes contact with the ground. One thing the commentators seemed to miss is the angle that shows him bobbling the ball as he falls, a split second before he hits the ground. And that is during the time period when he supposedly broke the plane. So, while the shot of him holding the ball while lying on the ground makes it seem like a touchdown, it's not like he caught it, broke the plane, landed, and then a defender knocked it loose. His bobbling of the ball while he was breaking the plane calls into question whether he had sufficient control to have called it a touchdown, even if he had held onto the ball after hitting the ground and getting hit.

100% right Jeremy.  I'd take it farther: I looked at it in depth and I couldn't see proof that a WPG defender actually touched the ball.  They keep saying he slapped it out but I can't see him actually touching the ball.  If someone knows the precise moment he touches the ball, and where, let me know.

Now if no D touched the ball it becomes a matter of having control and surviving the ground.  I don't see how anyone can say he survived the ground when the ball pops out a split second after falling.  And he must survive the ground because he never took a step with the ball: the catch was a diving/falling catch the whole way.

It looks to me like he caught the ball in his hands, went to secure it into his body, but secured it high on his chest and the ball kept creeping up and when he hit the ground it bumped on his helmet and got knocked out.  Our D was very close, but didn't actually contact the ball IMHO.

Also, the closest ref was very adamant about what he saw.  And with the fog and bad angles I don't see how command can overturn it.  I would be shocked if command apologizes ("botched call") during the week.

The way we were playing in the 2nd half, I don't see CGY winning even if they get that TD.  They were 0 and 2 (or 3?) on the night for 2-pointers.  And the best they could do was tie if they then got a FG (a big "if").  It was like the OTT game: we just outplayed them and there was no way we were going to lose.
jeremy q public

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »

I agree with ModAdmin.

The difference between your opinion and mine is that I've written an in-depth explanation for why it is true. So has TecnoGenius.

You haven't countered those explanations at all. You've just blindly parroted the TSN desk opinion.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 07:07:14 PM by jeremy q public » Logged
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »

The difference between your opinion and mine is that I've written an in-depth explanation for why it is true. So has TecnoGenius.

You haven't countered those explanations at all. You've just blindly parroted the TSN desk opinion.

Yeah I hear you - only one problem with your point of view - at the end of the day it is just your opinion - same as TB!
Jesse

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2018, 07:30:53 PM »

I don't even know what you mean. Tburg has more than explained his thoughts and reasons about his feelings for this team (over many years).

My wife is amazing!
TBURGESS

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2018, 09:15:45 PM »

I don't see a camera angle that proves either opinion. No definitive angle doesn't mean that it wasn't a TD any more than it means there was.

The CFL tweeted afterwards that their wasn't a camera angle that was definitive enough to overturn the call on the field. See the other thread where I posted the actual tweet and the rules, if you want a more in-depth explanation. If it had been called a TD on the field that would have stood too and we'd be still having the a disagreement about if it was a TD or not.

The actual problem with my point of view is that it doesn't match your point of view.

jeremy q public

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 12:04:44 AM »

I don't see a camera angle that proves either opinion. No definitive angle doesn't mean that it wasn't a TD any more than it means there was.

Then go look at the camera angle that shows him bobbling it as he crosses the plane. Explain how a player can score a touchdown while crossing the plane for a fraction of a second when he clearly doesn't have possession of the ball.

The CFL tweeted afterwards that their wasn't a camera angle that was definitive enough to overturn the call on the field.

Sure, and that's all they ever have to say. Because that's all that's required to not overturn the call.

If it had been called a TD on the field that would have stood too and we'd be still having the a disagreement about if it was a TD or not.

Not necessarily. Overturning this call would be more complicated because it would also mean deciding whether it was incomplete or whether it was a completion that wasn't a TD. They didn't have enough evidence to make that distinction. Also, the fact that we have a camera angle of him bobbling it while crossing the plane is actually pretty clear evidence that it's not a TD, so I can definitely see them overturning it in that case.

But just to be clear, they did call it a TD on the field, and they had the best viewpoint to make that call. So to review, your argument is that even though the people with the best view of it thought it wasn't a TD, and the people charged with finding fault with their decision making could not find fault with it, you still think it was a TD. Ok.
jeremy q public

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2018, 12:05:25 AM »

I don't even know what you mean. Tburg has more than explained his thoughts and reasons about his feelings for this team (over many years).

Huh I meant specific to this topic, thread, whatever. I didn't see at the time that there was another thread dedicated to it.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2018, 05:40:36 AM »

But just to be clear, they did call it a TD on the field, and they had the best viewpoint to make that call. So to review, your argument is that even though the people with the best view of it thought it wasn't a TD, and the people charged with finding fault with their decision making could not find fault with it, you still think it was a TD. Ok.

Nope, they called it an incomplete pass on the field.  The LOS ref is waving it off and screaming at BLM/#15 right away that he didn't have control.  Then Foxcroft says the ruling stands.

The reason they reviewed it at all is the new-this-year "review everything that might be a score" rule.

I think the whole process worked quite well in this case.  The problem seems to be the ambiguity of the rules regarding this precise situation (diving catch, contact with D, ball is out), made worse by crossing the plane with control or not.

I think we should put all of this talk on that other thread.  I didn't see it at first either on game day, and I apologize for dragging the conversation here at first.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 05:54:13 AM »

GOOD
  • 1Q6:16 Nevis plowing through OL to get to Jackson for a shoestring save of probably massive yards; wow!
  • 1Q2:57 on the FF, our D guys were playing perfectly in synch: Hecht holds the leg to stop progress, Fogg then gets under and is actually working to hold Matthews up off the ground, for JSK to get in and knock it out.  You can't execute MOS/Hall's D any better than that.
  • 2Q12:17 Harris... OMG.  Nichols breaks 4 tackles to huck it to Harris who then breaks an impossible 4 tackles to get 15 YAC.  There aren't enough words.  And again at 3Q1:50.
  • 2Q10:21 Hecht showing his talent: a) guessing which way the ball is going correctly and being in the picture; and b) monster motoring with speed to tackle Matthews; Fogg BTW was about 6 inches away from a knockdown.
  • 2Q9:01 Okpa super motor to tackle BLM into OOB
  • 4Q6:06 Fogg knocks away what would have been a huge yardage catch
  • The missed BigChris gamble on 3rd&1 is totally the right call by MOS.  It was exactly 1 yard, not more, and BigChris should get that yard every time, just like LeFevour did 100% of the time in '17.  The screwup was by the OL and Strev, not MOS.  MOS told us many times earlier in the year, especially on the Coaches Show that he will always go for it on 3rd & 1 and under.  Always.  Chris needs to learn how to make them all.  Reilly did it, Feve did it, Chris can do it.
  • Stopping all CGY's 2-pointers, moving them either to even or worse than if they had just kicked 1-pointers for the entire year.
  • Great evening for football, even with the fog!

BAD
  • Nothing

UGLY
  • 4Q4:42 MOS is yelling "it's the same thing, he speared him" and he's right, Singleton HoH'd Dressler just like WPG got UR for early in the game, but no call against CGY.  No one really cared by that point.
  • Harris dislocated finger??
  • All the hate for Fogg again: on the bad big play he was right there with his hand about 6 inches away from the ball, and he had help from Hecht.  Even in his botches he wasn't beat or bust.  A few more inches and those plays go our way.  I'm not concerned.
jeremy q public

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 10:15:33 PM »

Nope, they called it an incomplete pass on the field.  The LOS ref is waving it off and screaming at BLM/#15 right away that he didn't have control.  Then Foxcroft says the ruling stands.

The reason they reviewed it at all is the new-this-year "review everything that might be a score" rule.

I think the whole process worked quite well in this case.  The problem seems to be the ambiguity of the rules regarding this precise situation (diving catch, contact with D, ball is out), made worse by crossing the plane with control or not.

I think we should put all of this talk on that other thread.  I didn't see it at first either on game day, and I apologize for dragging the conversation here at first.

Oops, I meant to say "didn't."
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: