Blue Bombers Forum
November 17, 2018, 05:20:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal to build stadium in Halifax: report from Dave Naylor  (Read 1587 times)
Jesse

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 08:21:34 PM »

The commissioner of the Canadian Football League (CFL) and the organization hoping to bring a franchise to Canada?s East Coast are set to make ?a special announcement? in Halifax on Wednesday.

There are no details on what Randy Ambrosie and the Maritime Football Limited Partnership are planning to announce. However, staff members with the Halifax Regional Municipality revealed last week that they expect CFL to award a conditional franchise to Maritime Football within the next month.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4634472/cfl-commissioner-special-announcement-halifax/

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 08:30:26 PM »

Using my own words against me. How dare you.

lol I was agreeing with you. It's impossible to win the "but what about health care" argument if you're proposing anything fancy.

Looking forward to hearing the announcement tomorrow. Actually, stoked/surprised this is being talked about at all right now! I didn't expect anything to materialize until mid-2020s given how slow these things move (case in point: Ottawa).

I hope the East stays weak for a few more years so that this franchise can feast its first few years and make the playoffs, just like Ottawa did, to build up a loyal fan base and keep people excited and butts in seats.
RebusRankin

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 09:08:24 PM »

Anybody else concerned that one of the guys Leblanc is a former Ice Edge/Coyotes Owner? Those dudes are shady and don't have a lot of their own $?
theaardvark

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2018, 10:12:30 PM »

Its like the "Bread not Circuses" people that put the kibosh on the Toronto Olympic bid 20 years ago... they were complaining that there were so many social programs that money could be used for, but were too stupid to realize that squashing the Olympic bid didn't result in them getting any "bread"...  and that the infrastructure left over from the Olympics (like the athlete's village) would have benefited the community greatly, not to mention the work/profits that the local economy would have benefited from. 

Noble sentiment, "Hey, instead of putting $1.45bil into the Games, spend it on the poor!".  Unfortunately, it does not work like that.  At all.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 12:24:27 AM »

Anybody else concerned that one of the guys Leblanc is a former Ice Edge/Coyotes Owner? Those dudes are shady and don't have a lot of their own $?

No. Should anyone be? He's just one founding member of Maritime Football, anyway. If there were concerns with his membership, I'm sure they'd have been addressed and dealt with already - same as with the other two founding members.  Had there been concerns, they would've come to light by now as potential Halifax expansion has been in the works for well over a year already.

What's shady about "those dudes" who want to bring CFL to the Maritimes?

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »

I wonder if they will end up a new stadium in CGY if they get the olympics...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Waffler

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 02:45:23 PM »

I wonder if they will end up a new stadium in CGY if they get the olympics...

They are due a new one BUT what takes place there in the Winter Games? Opening and Closing. Has to be more reason than that I would think.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »

I think they are going to announce a season ticket drive...just guessing, similar to what the Jets did
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »

I think they are going to announce a season ticket drive...just guessing, similar to what the Jets did

Or even more similarly, the RedBlacks.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Stretch

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 04:52:59 PM »

Season ticket drive and name the team contest:

https://www.tsn.ca/halifax-cfl-group-launches-season-ticket-drive-1.1205681

https://maritimefootball.ca/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:55:13 PM by Stretch » Logged

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
Blue In BC

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »

The commissioner of the Canadian Football League (CFL) and the organization hoping to bring a franchise to Canada?s East Coast are set to make ?a special announcement? in Halifax on Wednesday.

There are no details on what Randy Ambrosie and the Maritime Football Limited Partnership are planning to announce. However, staff members with the Halifax Regional Municipality revealed last week that they expect CFL to award a conditional franchise to Maritime Football within the next month.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4634472/cfl-commissioner-special-announcement-halifax/

What's the most realistic time frame they could actually build a stadium?

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »

I suppose now would be a good time to reopen this discussion, then:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/01/25/cfl-halifax-jersey-concepts/
blue_or_die

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »

What's the most realistic time frame they could actually build a stadium?

Good question but I read that if things go according to plan, they would start in the 2021 season.

Probably ambitious to have a stadium built by then, but maybe they could play at a CIS field with temp stands until it's ready.
Stretch

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »

maybe they could play at a CIS field with temp stands until it's ready.

Most logical seems to be St. Mary's since that's in Halifax as well, but glancing at Google maps it looks pretty snug where their stadium is with not much room for temp seating.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
theaardvark

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2018, 06:18:18 PM »

How can they have a naming contest for the Atlantic Schooners?  Its already a done deal...

As to building a stadium, look at the turnaround on Mosaic and IGF, vs. TD Place and Tim Hortons.  They can easily erect a stadium in 2 years, even less if they need to.  This is not going to be a Mosais or IGF, it is going to be a bare bones facility seating 20-24k max

I wonder, can they save a ton of money buying used seats from a stadium that is coming down somewhere?  Like CanadInns, when it came down there were thousands of perfectly good seats that went into the landfill... 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: