Blue Bombers Forum
November 17, 2018, 07:20:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal to build stadium in Halifax: report from Dave Naylor  (Read 1590 times)
Jesse

« on: October 26, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »

HALIFAX ? Maritime Football Ltd. has put forth a proposal to build a 24,000-seat stadium in hopes of securing a CFL expansions franchise in Halifax according to a report by TSN?s Dave Naylor.

The potential ownership group has been involved in the process of trying to bring the CFL to Halifax for a few years and looks to be taking the next step.  According to the report, the group is eyeing Shannon Park as the location of the stadium on the eastern shore of Halifax Harbour.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/10/26/report-maritime-football-ltd-puts-forth-proposal-halifax-stadium/

Tweets from Dave Naylor:

- Don?t be surprised if a positive vote at Halifax Regional Council next week on continuing the stadium initiative results in a November season-ticket campaign by Maritime Football Ltd. #CFL #Halifax

- Document reveals Maritime Football Ltd is currently in negotiations with Canada Lands Corporation to purchase 20-acre site for a stadium, parking and commercial development. #CFL #Halifax

- CFL Stadium Proposal Update for Halifax council meeting next Tuesday reveals prospective CFL ownership group wants to build 24,000-seat stadium at Shannon Park, cost estimated at $170-$190 million. #CFL #Halifax. Story up shortly at

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »

Awesome. We've been talking about this for years but this is closer than ever.

10 teams, 5 east/5 west = perfecto.
trapper

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 07:43:22 PM »

It sure is going to be interesting to see how they handle the BC / Halifax games.  BC is going to push for home night games...Halifax will push for early games.

BC has always had an advantage with their night games against the East...
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »

It sure is going to be interesting to see how they handle the BC / Halifax games.  BC is going to push for home night games...Halifax will push for early games.

BC has always had an advantage with their night games against the East...

They should have to play halfway. An extra game for at IGF and Mosiac seem likely.
bomb squad

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:44 PM »

Let's look ahead shall we. Assuming we still have 10 teams by the time the Schooner's are ready, what would be the best divisional configuration and schedule?

1. Maintain an 18 game schedule, 2 divisions of 5 teams, balanced schedule, play each team twice.

Pros

- Easy scheduling year to year
- Can cut to one bye
- Can keep the current playoff format
- Some rivalry because of playoffs I guess
- Maintain East vs West Grey Cup

Cons

- Rivalry aspect compromised by balanced schedule.

2. Maintain an 18 game schedule, single division, balanced schedule, play each team twice.

Pros

- One bye
- Can keep the current playoff format, but give the top two teams byes, and 4 wild cards
- Should ensure all playoff teams have solid records (no more farting around)

Cons

- Virtually no rivalry
- No east/west Grey Cup

3. Go to a 17 game schedule, 2 divisions of 5, play each one team in your division 3 times and the other once.

- I know, it buggers up the stats history. Just throwing it out there, go easy on me please

4. 3 Divisions

- Interesting, but quite messy

Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 10:00:58 PM »

18 games. Balanced or otherwise keep the east / west rivalry alive with playoff format.

My preference is two conference divisions. I don't think a 17 game schedule is a good idea due to reduced revenue streams by eliminating one game.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:02:30 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
sting

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 10:35:41 PM »

Doesn't $170-$190 million seem a little low?
lenny

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 10:58:41 PM »

Great news!
dd

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 12:37:11 AM »

Let's look ahead shall we. Assuming we still have 10 teams by the time the Schooner's are ready, what would be the best divisional configuration and schedule?

1. Maintain an 18 game schedule, 2 divisions of 5 teams, balanced schedule, play each team twice.

Pros

- Can cut to one bye

Cons

2. Maintain an 18 game schedule, single division, balanced schedule, play each team twice.

Pros

- One bye
- Can keep the current playoff format, but give the top two teams byes, and 4 wild cards

Cons

- Virtually no rivalry
- No east/west Grey Cup

3. Go to a 17 game schedule, 2 divisions of 5, play each one team in your division 3 times and the other once.

- I know, it buggers up the stats history. Just throwing it out there, go easy on me please

4. 3 Divisions

I am all for balanced schedule, every team playing eachother twice. It's the only fair and equitable thing to do. The West will be the strongest of the divisions, with only 2 teams being competitive in the east- Ottawa and Hamilton, with TO, Monttreal and Halifax struggling mightily to save face in each game. They should also change that the west crossover team can HOST a playoff game if their record is better than the East #2 team.
SanDiegoPier

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:24:13 AM »

Halifax would be a great CFL town. They are very passionate about their community and will go all-in once they receive a franchise.

From what I understand the land is prime also with spectacular views of the water. Could make an amazing stadium atmosphere.
SanDiegoPier

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 01:24:33 AM »

Then get Quebec into the league and 1 more city like London, ONT
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 01:48:04 AM »

Best league on earth

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Jesse

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 02:01:50 AM »

Pros

- Can cut to one bye

Cons

Pros

- One bye

Cons

- Virtually no rivalry
- No east/west Grey Cup

4. 3 Divisions

Pretty sure you can't go to one bye week. Isn't that a mandated thing by the union?

My wife is amazing!
RebusRankin

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 04:03:46 AM »

How much government money is needed and where does it come from? Nova Scotia's government has a lot of debt and a province that is aging.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 05:07:14 AM »

How much government money is needed and where does it come from? Nova Scotia's government has a lot of debt and a province that is aging.

gives the old folks something to do and a place to spend their money

but yes it will cost the public a pretty penny

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TBURGESS

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »

My vote is 18 games, single division. Top 2 teams get a bye. 3 vs 6. 4 vs 5.

Being right never gets old.
Jesse

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »

My vote is 18 games, single division. Top 2 teams get a bye. 3 vs 6. 4 vs 5.

I think I would like that. There has to be some nod to the old rivalries though. Continue to play more games against the same opponents. Travel costs go nuts if you're having B.C. play Hamilton and The Maritime team three times a year.

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2018, 03:24:53 PM »

I think I would like that. There has to be some nod to the old rivalries though. Continue to play more games against the same opponents. Travel costs go nuts if you're having B.C. play Hamilton and The Maritime team three times a year.

So in this situation, there would be some teams you'd only play once or not at all per year? Not sure how I feel about that.

I will say though that if we kept with having each team play a home and home, each team would play each other twice, no more, no less, and therefore a single division makes sense since you don't play teams in the East any more than you do the West.

That said, I'm a huge proponent of the east/west rivalries and would hate to abandon that, although I get that it might not be logical.
blue newt

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »

I can see them having each team play each other twice, once in each home city.  Keeping the divisions E & W.  Question is, if they have equal number of teams in each division and one division isn't seen as having a harder shot at playoffs due to having more teams in it, does the cross over possibility remain?  Or is that nixed altogether?

theaardvark

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »

10 teams, 2 divisions, keep the crossover, one home, one away game against each team.  Perfect.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Jesse

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »

10 teams, 2 divisions, keep the crossover, one home, one away game against each team.  Perfect.

Really takes any rivalry games away though.

But the symmetry is nice.

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2018, 09:22:22 PM »

Really takes any rivalry games away though.

But the symmetry is nice.

Why?  Every year you get a home and away against your rival... and its not unbalanced, no 2 home one away against anyone.  Season series is very easy to win/lose, and it makes point differential even more important, so we get some "run up the score" situations...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Jesse

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2018, 10:34:36 PM »

Why?  Every year you get a home and away against your rival... and its not unbalanced, no 2 home one away against anyone.  Season series is very easy to win/lose, and it makes point differential even more important, so we get some "run up the score" situations...

Rivalries are established through familiarity. If everything is equal, the rivals kind of dissipate. It would take something away.

My wife is amazing!
DM83

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 03:07:54 AM »

Home and home...simple.

Of course where do you relocate The Argos? And or the alouettes
Fair weather fans, created by idiot owners.
dd

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2018, 03:19:56 AM »

The Argos could go to London Ontario where they would draw way more fans, but it don?t happen as that would mean relocating a long and storied franchise
blue_or_die

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »

The big unknown for Halifax's Canadian Football League bid: Is a stadium viable?

HALIFAX - A group of professional sports executives quarterbacking a plan to bring a Canadian Football League team to Halifax is set to make an announcement Wednesday as it ramps up efforts to secure a conditional expansion franchise.

But the critical question ? how to fund a new stadium ? will likely remain unanswered.

"To make a pro sports franchise work you must have a place to play, it's just that simple," CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said recently, noting that the expansion team's prospects hinge on a suitable stadium being built in Atlantic Canada's largest city.

Critics call public subsidies for stadiums "sports welfare" for wealthy owners, with limited public benefits; supporters say it is money well spent to create jobs, boost the economy and generate civic pride.

Maritime Football Limited Partnership, made up of former owners of an NHL team and the head of a moving company, cleared a major hurdle last month after Halifax council voted for city staff to do a through business case study on the proposal for a CFL team.

The group says next steps include launching a name-the-team contest and a season-ticket campaign to gauge local enthusiasm ? and more importantly whether people will open their wallets for football.

But the biggest obstacle to securing the league's 10th franchise is building a new 24,000-seat stadium.

The partners behind the bid have proposed Shannon Park, vacant land on the east side of Halifax harbour, as the stadium site, and say the $170-million to $190-million project would need public money.

Fans of the CFL bid say a professional sports team would give the community a sense of civic pride, cementing Halifax's status as a first-tier city.

They say investing in a stadium would have a positive economic impact on the region, creating jobs, spurring economic growth and generating tax dollars.

"There is optimism that we can do this as long as everybody is at the table, understanding what the shared risk is," Anthony LeBlanc, a former Arizona Coyotes co-owner and one of the three founding partners of Maritime Football, told reporters after council's decision to move forward.

He made it clear that while the group could shoulder the cost of the stadium's operations, construction costs would require public funds.

"I don't see how we can continue with a stadium proposal that does not involve at least (the Halifax municipality) and the province, if not the federal government."

Opponents of publicly funding a stadium point to stacks of research showing that new sports facilities have negligible effects on the economy.

Leading sports economists have found there is almost no evidence that professional sports franchises and facilities have a measurable impact on the economy, with profits largely going to corporate owners, professional sports leagues and athletes.

"Such facilities generate little new revenue for the region, they simply take recreational spending that previously goes to other purposes," Bruce Kidd, a University of Toronto kinesiology and physical education professor and former Olympian, says in an email.

"It will be difficult for anyone to make a sound business case, i.e., that it will add to overall regional GDP, let alone ever make enough to pay back the subsidies."

Kidd also pointed out the highly gendered nature of professional sports. If facilities cater only to men's sport ? as is virtually the universal case in North America ? he says they constitute "men's cultural centres."

"The subsidies privilege men's team sports and the symbolic affirmation of masculinity over other potential public projects, including programs that address challenges of inequality, including gender-based violence," Kidd says.

In a 2012 open letter to a Swedish town council considering refurbishing a local stadium, he questioned investing in professional sports facilities as physical activity among children and youth in most countries drops.

Kidd pointed out that Canada faces a crisis of physical activity, and that "there is little evidence that the dramatic display of athletic excellence in a civic stadium or on television actually leads to a modeling of the ethical values rhetorically associated with sport or an increase in sports participation, especially among the young."

Still, sports facilities and professional teams can yield benefits to a community, says Liesl Gambold.

The Dalhousie University social anthropology professor and "huge sports fan" grew up watching NFL football ? her father coached for the Denver Broncos and the Houston Oilers.

"If Halifax wants to claim its position as the most cosmopolitan city east of Montreal, this would be part of that," she says, noting that the football team would complement Halifax's robust culture and music scene.

"It's about being part of something bigger than just Maritime culture that spans the country."

Gambold said there are intangible benefits to rooting for a professional sports team, as it can bring a diverse cross-section of a community together.

But she said football's popularity among youth has decreased in recent years, potentially due to greater awareness of the risks of head injuries.

"Soccer is growing more in popularity and with a growing immigrant population there may be more interest in going to watch a soccer game," Gambold said.

She added that high demand for the municipality's existing sport facilities such as hockey arenas, as well as the state of local hospitals and other public infrastructure, makes the argument for putting money in a stadium hard to win.

As for the proposed location for the football stadium, Concordia University sports economist Moshe Lander ? who teaches at Dalhousie in the spring ? says Shannon Park is risky.

"If the game starts at 7 p.m. and everybody's working in downtown Halifax until five, there's a very small window when everybody's going to push for the bridge," he says.

"It doesn't have to be a substantial amount of traffic to create total gridlock."

Even with a shuttle or harbour ferry to Shannon Park on game days, Lander says "only the most die hard of die hard fans are going to want to go out there."

Rather than build a stadium outside the core, he says the more modern approach is to put it where people already are.

The proposal put forward by Maritime Football would surround the stadium with mixed-use development, including commercial and office space as well as residential condos and townhomes.

"It's an awesome idea except it just never works like that," Lander says.

"If Shannon Park were already going through a development phase where it was becoming the trendy place to be and the young people were moving in then yeah, you drop in the stadium and all of a sudden you have night life," he says. "But it doesn't work the other way around."

Senior municipal bureaucrats are expected to examine various funding options to help pay for the stadium, including so-called tax increment financing.

The owners of the stadium would pay property taxes on the development, but the city would return that money as a payment against the stadium?s debt.

Other options include an increase to the hotel marketing levy and a new car rental tax.

From https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/cfl/the-big-unknown-for-halifaxs-canadian-football-league-bid-is-a-stadium-viable-499852471.html
theaardvark

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 06:51:37 PM »

They can probably make a Tim Horton's field like stadium out there for $150mil...  and with subsidies, etc... it should be easy. 

Gov't of Canada is going to contribute 10x that much to Calgary to host the Olympics...

Jesse

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 08:01:23 PM »

They can probably make a Tim Horton's field like stadium out there for $150mil...  and with subsidies, etc... it should be easy. 

Gov't of Canada is going to contribute 10x that much to Calgary to host the Olympics...

There are many legitimate reasons not to do it.

But I really hope they do.

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »

There are many legitimate reasons not to do it.

But I really hope they do.

I think you've said it best in the past, that if we only spend based on priorities we would never have anything nice.

To Aards' point, help with a small stadium to give the Maritimes a professional sport makes more sense than giving billions to Calgary to host an event they have already hosted for 2 weeks.
Jesse

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 08:18:26 PM »

I think you've said it best in the past, that if we only spend based on priorities we would never have anything nice.

To Aards' point, help with a small stadium to give the Maritimes a professional sport makes more sense than giving billions to Calgary to host an event they have already hosted for 2 weeks.

Using my own words against me. How dare you.

My wife is amazing!
Jesse

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2018, 08:21:34 PM »

The commissioner of the Canadian Football League (CFL) and the organization hoping to bring a franchise to Canada?s East Coast are set to make ?a special announcement? in Halifax on Wednesday.

There are no details on what Randy Ambrosie and the Maritime Football Limited Partnership are planning to announce. However, staff members with the Halifax Regional Municipality revealed last week that they expect CFL to award a conditional franchise to Maritime Football within the next month.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4634472/cfl-commissioner-special-announcement-halifax/

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2018, 08:30:26 PM »

Using my own words against me. How dare you.

lol I was agreeing with you. It's impossible to win the "but what about health care" argument if you're proposing anything fancy.

Looking forward to hearing the announcement tomorrow. Actually, stoked/surprised this is being talked about at all right now! I didn't expect anything to materialize until mid-2020s given how slow these things move (case in point: Ottawa).

I hope the East stays weak for a few more years so that this franchise can feast its first few years and make the playoffs, just like Ottawa did, to build up a loyal fan base and keep people excited and butts in seats.
RebusRankin

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2018, 09:08:24 PM »

Anybody else concerned that one of the guys Leblanc is a former Ice Edge/Coyotes Owner? Those dudes are shady and don't have a lot of their own $?
theaardvark

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2018, 10:12:30 PM »

Its like the "Bread not Circuses" people that put the kibosh on the Toronto Olympic bid 20 years ago... they were complaining that there were so many social programs that money could be used for, but were too stupid to realize that squashing the Olympic bid didn't result in them getting any "bread"...  and that the infrastructure left over from the Olympics (like the athlete's village) would have benefited the community greatly, not to mention the work/profits that the local economy would have benefited from. 

Noble sentiment, "Hey, instead of putting $1.45bil into the Games, spend it on the poor!".  Unfortunately, it does not work like that.  At all.

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 12:24:27 AM »

Anybody else concerned that one of the guys Leblanc is a former Ice Edge/Coyotes Owner? Those dudes are shady and don't have a lot of their own $?

No. Should anyone be? He's just one founding member of Maritime Football, anyway. If there were concerns with his membership, I'm sure they'd have been addressed and dealt with already - same as with the other two founding members.  Had there been concerns, they would've come to light by now as potential Halifax expansion has been in the works for well over a year already.

What's shady about "those dudes" who want to bring CFL to the Maritimes?

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »

I wonder if they will end up a new stadium in CGY if they get the olympics...

Waffler

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2018, 02:45:23 PM »

I wonder if they will end up a new stadium in CGY if they get the olympics...

They are due a new one BUT what takes place there in the Winter Games? Opening and Closing. Has to be more reason than that I would think.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »

I think they are going to announce a season ticket drive...just guessing, similar to what the Jets did
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »

I think they are going to announce a season ticket drive...just guessing, similar to what the Jets did

Or even more similarly, the RedBlacks.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Stretch

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 04:52:59 PM »

Season ticket drive and name the team contest:

https://www.tsn.ca/halifax-cfl-group-launches-season-ticket-drive-1.1205681

https://maritimefootball.ca/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:55:13 PM by Stretch » Logged

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
Blue In BC

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »

The commissioner of the Canadian Football League (CFL) and the organization hoping to bring a franchise to Canada?s East Coast are set to make ?a special announcement? in Halifax on Wednesday.

There are no details on what Randy Ambrosie and the Maritime Football Limited Partnership are planning to announce. However, staff members with the Halifax Regional Municipality revealed last week that they expect CFL to award a conditional franchise to Maritime Football within the next month.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4634472/cfl-commissioner-special-announcement-halifax/

What's the most realistic time frame they could actually build a stadium?

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 05:44:46 PM »

I suppose now would be a good time to reopen this discussion, then:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/01/25/cfl-halifax-jersey-concepts/
blue_or_die

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »

What's the most realistic time frame they could actually build a stadium?

Good question but I read that if things go according to plan, they would start in the 2021 season.

Probably ambitious to have a stadium built by then, but maybe they could play at a CIS field with temp stands until it's ready.
Stretch

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »

maybe they could play at a CIS field with temp stands until it's ready.

Most logical seems to be St. Mary's since that's in Halifax as well, but glancing at Google maps it looks pretty snug where their stadium is with not much room for temp seating.

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
theaardvark

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2018, 06:18:18 PM »

How can they have a naming contest for the Atlantic Schooners?  Its already a done deal...

As to building a stadium, look at the turnaround on Mosaic and IGF, vs. TD Place and Tim Hortons.  They can easily erect a stadium in 2 years, even less if they need to.  This is not going to be a Mosais or IGF, it is going to be a bare bones facility seating 20-24k max

I wonder, can they save a ton of money buying used seats from a stadium that is coming down somewhere?  Like CanadInns, when it came down there were thousands of perfectly good seats that went into the landfill... 

blue_or_die

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2018, 06:43:32 PM »

How can they have a naming contest for the Atlantic Schooners?  Its already a done deal...

Kinda hope not. IMO that name sounds pretty wussy. Not a fan.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2018, 07:24:32 PM »

As to building a stadium, look at the turnaround on Mosaic and IGF, vs. TD Place and Tim Hortons.  They can easily erect a stadium in 2 years, even less if they need to.  This is not going to be a Mosais or IGF, it is going to be a bare bones facility seating 20-24k max

I wonder, can they save a ton of money buying used seats from a stadium that is coming down somewhere?  Like CanadInns, when it came down there were thousands of perfectly good seats that went into the landfill... 

Most times they do these sorts of things to gauge interest more than to get ideas. If they get an "idea" close to what they're thinking already and the market research supports it maybe it's a cool story but that's normally the extent of it. They're doing this in conjunction with a ticket drive and both things are primarily designed to gauge interest.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »

How about:

Bluenosers?
Codkissers?
Screechers?
theaardvark

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2018, 09:14:21 PM »

Kinda hope not. IMO that name sounds pretty wussy. Not a fan.

They've been using it for years... 

I think we are missing a very Canadian moment here...  Why are "Argonauts" and "Rough Riders" not among the options... Wink

Jesse

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2018, 09:18:12 PM »

Good question but I read that if things go according to plan, they would start in the 2021 season.

Probably ambitious to have a stadium built by then, but maybe they could play at a CIS field with temp stands until it's ready.

I think two years is realistic to build a stadium. So if they get funding approved within the next 6 months, that can happen. If we're beginning next season, and there's still debates occurring over where money is coming from, 2022 becomes the earliest.

IMO.

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2018, 09:20:46 PM »

They've been using it for years... 

I think we are missing a very Canadian moment here...  Why are "Argonauts" and "Rough Riders" not among the options... Wink

A team in the maritimes have not been using that moniker. It?s a group of fans.

I?m a big fan of Atlantic Armada (including it?s fan-illustrated logo and colour scheme) with Maritime Marauders a close second (although not a fan of the proposed logo for that, and it also is a bit too close to the Argonauts)

Epic battle between Jason The Argonaut and Marty The Marauder mascots?!
theaardvark

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2018, 10:23:41 PM »

A team in the maritimes have not been using that moniker. It?s a group of fans.

A "group of fans"? They are the grassroot "fans" who have been begging for a team forever, attending every Grey Cup for I don't know how long, hosting epic kitchen parties, serving up Lobster Rolls and Keiths.  Far more than a group of fans, they've been selling merch and have a website:
http://www.atlanticschooners.ca/about-us/

Their motto?

The Atlantic Schooners are the only professional sports team to be awarded a franchise and never play a single game?..Thus our motto   Still Un-Defeated

blue_or_die

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »

A "group of fans"? They are the grassroot "fans" who have been begging for a team forever, attending every Grey Cup for I don't know how long, hosting epic kitchen parties, serving up Lobster Rolls and Keiths.  Far more than a group of fans, they've been selling merch and have a website:
http://www.atlanticschooners.ca/about-us/

Their motto?

The Atlantic Schooners are the only professional sports team to be awarded a franchise and never play a single game?..Thus our motto   Still Un-Defeated

Still not a real team with skin in the game.
RebusRankin

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2018, 10:58:31 PM »

I'd say 2022. Gives you three years to build a stadium. Still want to see a legit financing plan for the stadium and an ownership group that has money (Leblanc doesn't have a lot of $).
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »

If it?s anything but Schooners it would be sad occurrence. Interesting to see how the ticket drive goes?

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
trapper

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »

If it?s anything but Schooners it would be sad occurrence. Interesting to see how the ticket drive goes?

yip.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »

If the new league down south takes hold, where will quality players come from? The current CFL9 will have difficulty with rosters, let alone if they add a 10th.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Jesse

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »

If the new league down south takes hold, where will quality players come from? The current CFL9 will have difficulty with rosters, let alone if they add a 10th.

Meh. I tend to disagree with that. There are thousands upon thousands of players coming out of college every year. We might get them younger.

My wife is amazing!
GCn18

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2018, 04:33:10 PM »

They are due a new one BUT what takes place there in the Winter Games? Opening and Closing. Has to be more reason than that I would think.

You forget hockey and figure skating?

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: