Blue Bombers Forum
November 16, 2018, 04:03:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proposal to build stadium in Halifax: report from Dave Naylor  (Read 1579 times)
Jesse

« on: October 26, 2018, 06:53:32 PM »

HALIFAX ? Maritime Football Ltd. has put forth a proposal to build a 24,000-seat stadium in hopes of securing a CFL expansions franchise in Halifax according to a report by TSN?s Dave Naylor.

The potential ownership group has been involved in the process of trying to bring the CFL to Halifax for a few years and looks to be taking the next step.  According to the report, the group is eyeing Shannon Park as the location of the stadium on the eastern shore of Halifax Harbour.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/10/26/report-maritime-football-ltd-puts-forth-proposal-halifax-stadium/

Tweets from Dave Naylor:

- Don?t be surprised if a positive vote at Halifax Regional Council next week on continuing the stadium initiative results in a November season-ticket campaign by Maritime Football Ltd. #CFL #Halifax

- Document reveals Maritime Football Ltd is currently in negotiations with Canada Lands Corporation to purchase 20-acre site for a stadium, parking and commercial development. #CFL #Halifax

- CFL Stadium Proposal Update for Halifax council meeting next Tuesday reveals prospective CFL ownership group wants to build 24,000-seat stadium at Shannon Park, cost estimated at $170-$190 million. #CFL #Halifax. Story up shortly at

My wife is amazing!
blue_or_die

Blue collar, gold heart, white trash

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »

Awesome. We've been talking about this for years but this is closer than ever.

10 teams, 5 east/5 west = perfecto.
trapper

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 07:43:22 PM »

It sure is going to be interesting to see how they handle the BC / Halifax games.  BC is going to push for home night games...Halifax will push for early games.

BC has always had an advantage with their night games against the East...
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »

It sure is going to be interesting to see how they handle the BC / Halifax games.  BC is going to push for home night games...Halifax will push for early games.

BC has always had an advantage with their night games against the East...

They should have to play halfway. An extra game for at IGF and Mosiac seem likely.
bomb squad

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:44 PM »

Let's look ahead shall we. Assuming we still have 10 teams by the time the Schooner's are ready, what would be the best divisional configuration and schedule?

1. Maintain an 18 game schedule, 2 divisions of 5 teams, balanced schedule, play each team twice.

Pros

- Easy scheduling year to year
- Can cut to one bye
- Can keep the current playoff format
- Some rivalry because of playoffs I guess
- Maintain East vs West Grey Cup

Cons

- Rivalry aspect compromised by balanced schedule.

2. Maintain an 18 game schedule, single division, balanced schedule, play each team twice.

Pros

- One bye
- Can keep the current playoff format, but give the top two teams byes, and 4 wild cards
- Should ensure all playoff teams have solid records (no more farting around)

Cons

- Virtually no rivalry
- No east/west Grey Cup

3. Go to a 17 game schedule, 2 divisions of 5, play each one team in your division 3 times and the other once.

- I know, it buggers up the stats history. Just throwing it out there, go easy on me please

4. 3 Divisions

- Interesting, but quite messy

Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 10:00:58 PM »

18 games. Balanced or otherwise keep the east / west rivalry alive with playoff format.

My preference is two conference divisions. I don't think a 17 game schedule is a good idea due to reduced revenue streams by eliminating one game.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:02:30 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
sting

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 10:35:41 PM »

Doesn't $170-$190 million seem a little low?
lenny

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 10:58:41 PM »

Great news!
dd

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 12:37:11 AM »

Let's look ahead shall we. Assuming we still have 10 teams by the time the Schooner's are ready, what would be the best divisional configuration and schedule?

1. Maintain an 18 game schedule, 2 divisions of 5 teams, balanced schedule, play each team twice.

Pros

- Can cut to one bye

Cons

2. Maintain an 18 game schedule, single division, balanced schedule, play each team twice.

Pros

- One bye
- Can keep the current playoff format, but give the top two teams byes, and 4 wild cards

Cons

- Virtually no rivalry
- No east/west Grey Cup

3. Go to a 17 game schedule, 2 divisions of 5, play each one team in your division 3 times and the other once.

- I know, it buggers up the stats history. Just throwing it out there, go easy on me please

4. 3 Divisions

I am all for balanced schedule, every team playing eachother twice. It's the only fair and equitable thing to do. The West will be the strongest of the divisions, with only 2 teams being competitive in the east- Ottawa and Hamilton, with TO, Monttreal and Halifax struggling mightily to save face in each game. They should also change that the west crossover team can HOST a playoff game if their record is better than the East #2 team.
SanDiegoPier

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:24:13 AM »

Halifax would be a great CFL town. They are very passionate about their community and will go all-in once they receive a franchise.

From what I understand the land is prime also with spectacular views of the water. Could make an amazing stadium atmosphere.
SanDiegoPier

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 01:24:33 AM »

Then get Quebec into the league and 1 more city like London, ONT
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 01:48:04 AM »

Best league on earth

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Jesse

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2018, 02:01:50 AM »

Pros

- Can cut to one bye

Cons

Pros

- One bye

Cons

- Virtually no rivalry
- No east/west Grey Cup

4. 3 Divisions

Pretty sure you can't go to one bye week. Isn't that a mandated thing by the union?

My wife is amazing!
RebusRankin

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 04:03:46 AM »

How much government money is needed and where does it come from? Nova Scotia's government has a lot of debt and a province that is aging.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 05:07:14 AM »

How much government money is needed and where does it come from? Nova Scotia's government has a lot of debt and a province that is aging.

gives the old folks something to do and a place to spend their money

but yes it will cost the public a pretty penny

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: