Blue Bombers Forum
November 17, 2018, 05:23:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ouch... and they say any press is good press?  (Read 3387 times)
Old Rusty

Just make it to the GC!

« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2018, 06:57:44 PM »

Sorry, I posted your giphy but someone decided to take it down.

Thanks - no worries.

"Fear profits a man nothing." - Herger the Joyous

"Suck it up, buttercup." - Anonymous swim coach in Winnipeg
Foxhound

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2018, 07:35:05 PM »

Feign ignorance all you want, you know why I brought him up.

Ahhhhhh, the reducto ad absurdum technique a.k.a. good old-fashioned harassment. You're right. I was just being too polite to label it as such. I won't make that mistake again.

Wins and losses are not the only thing that matter. How you conduct yourself as a human being matters as a coach, just like it matters for every other profession.

Bah, humbug! I've never been big on this conducting yourself as a decent human being thing. I shouldn't expect others to live up to this lofty ideal either then, should I?

Just win, baby! If your antics with Gatorade buckets don't stand in the way of this noble objective, then they might matter to the Ladies' Christian Auxiliary but not to me.

Wink
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 01:14:04 AM by Foxhound » Logged

Radically Canadian!

Cheesebuster

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2018, 12:43:00 AM »

Professionalism does matter. It took years for people to respect the Bombers again after the Mike Kelly era.
Foxhound

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2018, 02:44:59 PM »

How many outright jerks are in sport halls of fame? Too many to count. And frequently a large part of what made them so good was the jerk element in their characters/personality, e.g. Ty Cobb, Vince Lombardi (though yuck to American football), Punch Imlach. As they say "Nice guys finish last."

Wink

Radically Canadian!

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »

Maas vows to tone down his temper, focus on team discipline

?I?ve looked myself in the mirror. There are things I have to change. It?s the final straw. It?s going to change,? he told Eskimos play-by-plan man Morley Scott.

?It?s my fault. I?m going to take the blame. It starts with me, the way I approach the game and the way I am is going to change. I?ll say this about penalties and I?ll say this about discipline. I haven?t done a good enough job since I?ve been here. And that?s very evident.

?We have been one of the worst teams in the league since I?ve been here. So it?s my fault and I?m going to take the blame. And I?ll tell you, from this day forward, things are going to change, starting with me, and the way I approach the game. The way I am is going to change.

?I?m going to make sure that I change so that when I look at players and I talk about discipline, they understand that it?s everybody and it starts with me as a head coach.

?So it?s not on my players. It?s on me. I need to be better. And I will. I have belief that we will get better with the changes we?re going to implement. We?re going to be practising a little bit more. We?re going to start kicking guys out of practice for messing up and start taking game time away from guys who continue to make penalties.

?It?s to the point we can?t tolerate it anymore. So it will stop. And if not, we?ll find other people who can do it.?

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-eskimos/jones-eskimos-head-coach-vows-to-tone-down-his-temper-focus-on-team-discipline
gbill2004

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »

Maas vows to tone down his temper, focus on team discipline

?I?ve looked myself in the mirror. There are things I have to change. It?s the final straw. It?s going to change,? he told Eskimos play-by-plan man Morley Scott.

?It?s my fault. I?m going to take the blame. It starts with me, the way I approach the game and the way I am is going to change. I?ll say this about penalties and I?ll say this about discipline. I haven?t done a good enough job since I?ve been here. And that?s very evident.

?We have been one of the worst teams in the league since I?ve been here. So it?s my fault and I?m going to take the blame. And I?ll tell you, from this day forward, things are going to change, starting with me, and the way I approach the game. The way I am is going to change.

?I?m going to make sure that I change so that when I look at players and I talk about discipline, they understand that it?s everybody and it starts with me as a head coach.

?So it?s not on my players. It?s on me. I need to be better. And I will. I have belief that we will get better with the changes we?re going to implement. We?re going to be practising a little bit more. We?re going to start kicking guys out of practice for messing up and start taking game time away from guys who continue to make penalties.

?It?s to the point we can?t tolerate it anymore. So it will stop. And if not, we?ll find other people who can do it.?

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-eskimos/jones-eskimos-head-coach-vows-to-tone-down-his-temper-focus-on-team-discipline
That is good on him that he is taking accountability and looking at himself in the mirror.  I suspect maybe his superiors had a little chat with him as well about his temper and public outbursts. 
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »

That is good on him that he is taking accountability and looking at himself in the mirror.  I suspect maybe his superiors had a little chat with him as well about his temper and public outbursts. 

Imagine that. Wins aren't the only thing that matters.

Good on the Eskimos organization for dealing with this. Maas needs to get his temper in check, for his sake and his team's.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
GCn18

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2018, 01:54:50 PM »

Seems to me that the Shmoes penalty woes are not likely to be fixed unless Maas himself shows constraint. Monkey see monkey do. I think Maas's discipline speeches falling on deaf ears kind of made him have a lightbulb moment about setting an example.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
gbill2004

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2018, 01:55:51 PM »

Good on the Eskimos organization for dealing with this. Maas needs to get his temper in check, for his sake and his team's.
Well I think he is making a linkage that his temper is linked to wins, because he as the leader is setting a tone that discipline does not matter.  If your leader is undisciplined, it trickles down to the soldiers.  Similar to O'Shea - as the leader, he is very even keeled and that shows in the number of penalties the Bombers take; I believe the Bombers are a league best in that regard.  
bowlerdude

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »

The idea is that the lack of discipline his team has is costing them wins, and he's taking some accountability for it. Maas and Austin are/were easy to dislike because of their attitudes, but notice it doesn't usually become an issue until they lose...

Those coaches, I think, tend to lose the room quicker and tend to see their teams have discipline issues. So I'd certainly rather a composed HC like O'Shea on my team, but in the end, you're hired to win games. Wins being the only thing that matters is a perfectly logical position to take, even if you don't agree with it yourself (I don't either).
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »

The idea is that the lack of discipline his team has is costing them wins, and he's taking some accountability for it. Maas and Austin are/were easy to dislike because of their attitudes, but notice it doesn't usually become an issue until they lose...

Those coaches, I think, tend to lose the room quicker and tend to see their teams have discipline issues. So I'd certainly rather a composed HC like O'Shea on my team, but in the end, you're hired to win games. Wins being the only thing that matters is a perfectly logical position to take, even if you don't agree with it yourself (I don't either).

The point of my comment is this: a professional, respectful, well-tempered coach who wins is better than an angry, disrespectful, poor-tempered one who wins.

Nice guys finish last is nothing more than a cliche. The defending champions' head coach is certainly not the latter.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
gbill2004

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »

The point of my comment is this: a professional, respectful, well-tempered coach who wins is better than an angry, disrespectful, poor-tempered one who wins.

Nice guys finish last is nothing more than a cliche. The defending champions' head coach is certainly not the latter.
I agree. I think the coaches with tempers/anger issues like Maas and Austin can have short-term success, but it has an expiry date.  Where guys like O'Shea are better suited for more sustainable, longer-term success. 
rubanski

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »

Does he say he's going to tone down his temper? We know Maas is prone to acting like a whiney child.

What does he say here? He says the team is undisciplined and it's his fault. The action he is going to take is to fine or punish players who are undisciplined.

I don't see him acknowledging his temper, that it is a problem, or that it needs to change.
Norm W

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2018, 04:12:10 PM »

Pretty embarrassing stuff, if I'm the owner of the club he would be making a bunch of public apologies. I would expect the 1st one to occur in the locker room with all the players and coaches in attendance. One in front of all the local press and the last one on TSN during the next televised game, apologizing to all the CFL fans.

Took awhile, its a bitter pill to swallow... I don't expect he will go as far as apologizing during the next televised game (I admit that was a little over the top), lets see if he can make the changes and if they bear fruit.

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
Foxhound

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2018, 08:11:25 PM »

That may be what you prefer, but my point is that "a professional, respectful, well-tempered coach" who does not win is fired while the "angry, disrespectful, poor-tempered one who wins" is not.

Wink

Radically Canadian!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: