Blue Bombers Forum
August 23, 2019, 04:44:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it the players or is it the coaching?  (Read 10241 times)
dd

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 03:30:23 PM »

It was both. We had guys dropping passes, Medlock missed field goals( if he makes em we win), Bowman is still a slug out there, we got beat on some deep passes and could have been beat for more had lulay been on, Nichols struggled out there and had his worst half of football that I can remember.

But this ones on the coaching. When we re struggling and hadn't scored in a half of football and you have a chance to make it a 2 score game, you gotta take the points and try and get some momentum going for your team and out more pressure on their team. When your at mid field and need only 10 yards, and you've been struggling throwing the football, give it to your stud running back who will gladly carry this team on his back. Our coaches have got to be smarter and they aren't and that cost us the game. They are supposed to be the ones analyzing the game as it's going on and making the calls that put us in a position to win, not lose football games
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 03:38:55 PM »

I really hope you're joking. You realize last season he threw 8 interceptions total right and 7 of them were tipped/deflected balls. He had a bad game it happens but by no means is Nichols bad or washed up. He is still top 3 or 4 QB in this league without a doubt in my mind. He was actually trying to sling the ball last night he needs a little work on that as he's not used to it but he'll get there. Also remember he's been out all year it was only his 2nd start give the guy a break cut him some slack.

As for that 3rd interception - of course the ball was not thrown well as he was rolling out then throwing back across his body but the ******* ball hit Demski right in the hands, you NEED to make that catch for your QB at that critical time in the game. Demski makes that catch we win the game there is no doubt in my mind. Instead it bounces right off his hands up into the air and it's picked off.

Question is why is Nichols rolling to his left on this critical play and why have they chosen Demski as the target, both questionable decisions in my mind.
swagonem

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »

Question is why is Nichols rolling to his left on this critical play and why have they chosen Demski as the target, both questionable decisions in my mind.

Regardless of that - he's trying to make a play and Demski when the ball hits him right in the hands/chest even a poorly thrown ball needs to come up with that catch.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 03:57:37 PM »

Regardless of that - he's trying to make a play and Demski when the ball hits him right in the hands/chest even a poorly thrown ball needs to come up with that catch.
I disagree it is unclear if Demski has a reasonable chance to hang onto the ball or not, BC defender arrives at the same moment as the ball.

5:35 of the following video, you can slow it down to .25 speed it's still inconclusive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfmUfLcE6NQ
In Motion

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »

I think Nicholls might have been flustered by the dumb calls
made near the end of the game. It put the pressure squarely on him
when the Lions were coming hard, and it wasnt necessary to pass
at that point of the game. What do you do? Defy the coach?
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 05:02:29 PM »

I think Nicholls might have been flustered by the dumb calls
made near the end of the game. It put the pressure squarely on him
when the Lions were coming hard, and it wasnt necessary to pass
at that point of the game. What do you do? Defy the coach?

Nichols didn't have a good game. He looked somewhat panicked at times when he didn't need to be. That was compounded by very poor execution throwing short, long, high, into multiple coverages.

No more excuses.
SSC

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 05:13:13 PM »

It was both. I was at the game sitting in the 6th row behind the Bomber's bench. What I noticed was a completely different mood or culture on the bench from the first half to the second. In the first half it was all business. Focused, engaged, and somewhat serious.
The second half started and the bench was jovial, happy, and less serious. That changed again but it wasn't until the Lions tied the game, by then it was too late. Over confidence was the issue. These players have been playing football a long time and should be aware that leading going into the second half means little. You can't let up when you have the other team down.
Which brings me to the coaches. They have to sense this down shift. They have to be a little less "buddy buddy" and start to crack the whip so that the focus is not lost.
dd

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 05:17:16 PM »

there was a total lack of focus and urgency in the second half. It was like the Bombers thought the Lions couldn't score. This falls on the coaches. You have to have the foot on the pedal for 60 minutes, and 17 points is nothing in this league. You could see the tide turning and all we could do is sit helplessly watch them lose!!!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 05:48:14 PM »

It was both. I was at the game sitting in the 6th row behind the Bomber's bench. What I noticed was a completely different mood or culture on the bench from the first half to the second. In the first half it was all business. Focused, engaged, and somewhat serious.
The second half started and the bench was jovial, happy, and less serious. That changed again but it wasn't until the Lions tied the game, by then it was too late. Over confidence was the issue. These players have been playing football a long time and should be aware that leading going into the second half means little. You can't let up when you have the other team down.
Which brings me to the coaches. They have to sense this down shift. They have to be a little less "buddy buddy" and start to crack the whip so that the focus is not lost.

H.C.'s job is to observe and lead, not ignore and leave it to the players to put themselves in the right frame of mind to get the job done.  O'Shea needs to take some clear action that strike fear in his players, get them thinking that maybe all is not okay under his watch.  **** being a popular coach, being successful is better.
DM83

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 06:07:01 PM »

Five years.

In all these years, If we have not gotten the players the GM needs to go.
If Walters, who can't get American quality players, is not to blame, then it's the coaches.

Lapo exhibited why he should never be a head coach this series versus BC.  He can't anticipate. The oppositions adjustments for the second half.  It's been his pattern forever., but proven to be. True this last series.

Did anyone see Harris face as the Bimbers had yet another. Two and out in the second half.  He mouthed something like ****! Frustrated with not running the ball, after a first half over 100 yards.  Lapo? Buddy, at worst if we simply push the pile we get five yards.....of course the RB has to be given the ball.

Nicholls was gawd awful.  So why not out Strevler in ad run QB sweeps , option, etc.

Defensively, bombers didnOK.

O'Shea is a genius !  I can't say what I really think because the Mods will pull my post.  ....('so think opposite)
He simply has a clue.

What excuse can be said about this down?
There's an old saying in Football.  Take the points when you can get them.
If this brilliant egotistical arrogant mad genius would abide by a proven tied and true principal, everyone on this forum is happy we would have won a game against a tough scrappy, deretmined BC Lions.

Now, we are such chumps, because of poor poor coaching.,and it's not the 1st time.
We might split vs. Toronto, but really, at best we will be at 500.

A previous poster wrote about the receivers. He was bang on. Bowman( should retire) Dressler( probably will retire) Adams ( not good enough typical two dropped passes).Demski ( good enough)  Wojo( nicely surprising)

Get Narker in here with Steinhauer and Thorpe next year and let's. Get this party started.  The coaching and management don't seem to be even. Aware the fans are pissed, and have proven their lack of abilities.
-no ability to bring in quality Americans, and oberstimating free agents.
Knocker42

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »

Seems to me the best teams win by playing sound basic football.  They run the ball enough to establish dominance at the line of scrimmage.  We started out that way last night but went away from it far too soon.  Did we think the game was out of sight?
Good teams use simple but well executed passing plays, mostly short ones, with a few longer throws to keep the defence off balance.  Again, we tried to start that way but execution was poor.  Seemed like we went to lower percentage plays too early.  These wide screen passes and others into the flat are great when they work but they have to be set up by good basic short and medium downfield passes. 
Bombers spend a lot of practice time working on trick or deception plays.  Again, these are great when they work but they are risky and when they result in five or ten yard losses are deflating.
I believe some of these "risky" passes are part of a set-up for other tricky plays we have seen in practices.  They are all good ideas but can only be used sparingly to have any hope of success. 
And do not even mention anything except a straight ahead plunge when you need to pick up a couple of feet for a first down to essentially win the game.
Return to basic simple plays that are precisely executed is what this team needs to use for the forseeable future.  Lapo needs to restrict his mad scientist tendencies and get back to grinding out wins.
GCn18

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »

Last night was on the players. We had drops, undisciplined penalties, and poor on field decision making that led to turnovers.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 07:32:51 PM »

Last night was on the players. We had drops, undisciplined penalties, and poor on field decision making that led to turnovers.

Very true....but the coaches also gambled when points were needed, and managed the clock terribly at the end of the game.
blue girl

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 07:36:44 PM »

IMO Nichols shouldn't even have been in the position of throwing that last INT. You've got the best RB in the league in Harris. They should have handed the ball off to him on first down. It seems to me that this team gets a good lead and LaPo goes into a conservative play not to lose offense. You've got to put the pedal to the metal and keep pouring it on.
Pigskin

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 08:19:28 PM »

I agree with Blue Girl, when you running down the throat of a team, keep it up. AH was having a game last night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: