Blue Bombers Forum
September 21, 2019, 12:26:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it the players or is it the coaching?  (Read 10695 times)
bigbuff33

« on: July 15, 2018, 10:42:17 AM »

Everybody talks about what a talented team we have...
Bob Irving says this is the best group of players in a very long time.

Our record now is 2-3...

In my opinion...Mike O'Shea has shown no improvement as a coach...this is year 5 and the teflon has worn off...
His in game management is terrible...and costs us games.
This is year 5...we have yet to win a playoff game under O'Shea...and I dare say even making playoffs this season will be difficult.

Ottawa comes in the league and wins a Grey Cup; Toronto under a brand new management team wins a Grey Cup in its first season under a new coach.

How much rope does O'Shea get...I'd have no problem putting LaPo back at head coach.
gbill2004

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 10:43:00 AM »

Last night it was both. Personally I put a little more blame on the coaches though.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:56:46 AM »

The patience thing is wearing off. I would agree with bigbuff33 that these in-game decisions continue to confound. I am not sure how much development is happening under the headset. It might be approaching time to give LaPo the reins back. There is a lot of talent and money invested in this season. Of course, the fact that nearly the entire league is stagnant softens this disappointing start. Nevertheless if a couple of teams that are not the Bombers get on a role, we are in trouble.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 12:11:49 PM »

Lapollice doesn't know how to use the whole team . hes got Lafrance , Flanders rides the bench.  We got four receivers. You would think we only have 2.  Nichols does the same thing now hes ignoring Bowman and Adams. Lapolice is either telling Nichols do what you want or Lapolice doesn't have much control.  This team has players just does not use Flanders,, LaFrance.  So we have Harris and Dressler.Nichols and Lapolice are good for one game out of 3. No way that will get you into the playoffs..Lapolice is smart ,but  he or whoever runs the offense cannot manage the players they have on this team. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:14:49 PM by buckzumhoff » Logged
RebusRankin

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 12:37:11 PM »

LaPo suffers from trying to be the smartest guy in the room. He'll call a great half (see first half yesterday) and then make brutal choices (ignoring the run in Q3, both third down plays in the second half).
66 Chevelle

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 12:40:46 PM »

Lapollice doesn't know how to use the whole team . hes got Lafrance , Flanders rides the bench.  We got four receivers. You would think we only have 2.  Nichols does the same thing now hes ignoring Bowman and Adams. Lapolice is either telling Nichols do what you want or Lapolice doesn't have much control.  This team has players just does not use Flanders,, LaFrance.  So we have Harris and Dressler.Nichols and Lapolice are good for one game out of 3. No way that will get you into the playoffs..Lapolice is smart ,but  he or whoever runs the offense cannot manage the players they have on this team. 

same crap, different year... we need a cleansing

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
bigbuff33

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »

Same crap...28 years...
Pigskin

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 12:45:26 PM »

Yup, the running game was working, keep using it. AH and Demski ran at will.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »

No the issue was being greedy last night. We simply went to the well too many times. 17 points is not a-lot in the CFL as proven again last night. we should have taken the points when we had the chance.

The first third down gamble....I say that was a 40/60 call to gamble....

The second third down gamble....at that point we blew one already BC had the momentum and three points would have made it a two score game, sure it was less than a yard but that was a 90/10 call....and if you are going to gamble don't get fancy like we did.

The last offensive series we had we didn't need a ton of yardage to at least attempt a field goal....it was similar to the EDM. game they had all the momentum at that point our defence was bending, and Lulay was in a groove, the call to pass on first down was a terrible call. At that point in the game tied with the other team having all the momentum, play the clock! Run as much time off the clock as you can....If you get into field goal range great if not you punt and hope to pin deep with as little time left on the clock as possible. It was like the memory of the EDM. loss was forgotten.

Sure players execute and we had some let-downs, a goal post, 3 INT's, and 3 RP penalties. But the coaches need to held accountable on this loss....IMO
In Motion

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »

In my opinion, we're lacking only two or three good DBs and a visible safety.
Otherwise, it's the coaches. Lapo is fine, just needs to learn
from this game that when you're ahead, keep it simple.
Richie Hall may look better once he has all the pieces.
O'Shea's poor calls in crucial situations is the killer.
These have lost us games we never would have lost if he had made
just the obvious common sense decisions.

You would think by now O'Shea and Lapo would have enough football sense
to know how to manage the game when they're ahead. The fact that they
have not come through in these clutch situations for their team or for the fans,
tells me it's psychological. Ego? Stubborness? Blind spots? Panic clouding
clear thinking? Overthinking? Something needs to get fixed between the ears.
TBURGESS

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 01:18:22 PM »

It's both and it's everyone thinking the game is won before the final whistle. That's the difference between winning the close games and losing them.

BC shot themselves in the foot multiple times, especially in the first half. Lulay's Int was 10 yards away from a wide open Burnham. Burnham dropped the ball in the endzone on the last play in the half. He makes that catch 4 out of 5 times. We went into the locker room with a 17-0 score, the shoulda coulda woulda score was more like 20-14 (We missed a FG).

Nichols had the worst game he's had in a long while, throwing balls he shouldn't, missing guys by 5 yards, throwing across his body. Stuff that he's gotten away with, but didn't last night. The D line took penalty after penalty, all of which were deserved, that kept BC's drives alive.

Plap called an excellent first half then it looked like he tried to sit on the lead. He called the same end around on a 3rd and less than a yard that was successful last week, but BC was waiting for it this time. He stopped running the ball, when it was working like a charm. Everyone in the park should have known the ball was going to Bowman when he went offside by a few yards. Probably the first time he'd been the primary target.

O'Shea called another great special teams play that worked like a charm, but didn't take 2 FG's that would have won us the game, choosing instead to go for TD's that we really didn't need at the time. The goal line stand was the turning point in the game and the 3rd and short after that was the first nail in our coffin.

Hall called the same defense he always does. When he couldn't get pressure with the front 4 he blitzed and Lulay found receivers deep. (We were lucky Lulay was rusty, cuz he missed half a dozen deep balls that were there on paper)

We started 1-2 with a rookie QB. No shame in that. This is the first loss that I'm really angry about. We should have won it and won it big, but we went away from what was working, tried to get too cute and Nichols tried to be the hero instead of simply protecting the ball.

Being right never gets old.
bigbuff33

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 01:46:25 PM »

17-0 at the half...
Run the freaking ball and grind it out...chew up the clock...
lenny

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 02:19:37 PM »

Patience wearing off?lol. No more patience is deserved. I'd suggest as well that more and more time be given to developing Strev. He appears to be our future not an intercepting middling QB like Nichols.I mean if you can't lead your team to a win against the 9th rated D with 3 inter.and 0 points in an entire half and being out thrown by Rusty fragile Lulay then your time is being marked for replacement.
1chad

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 03:06:39 PM »

You realize that Flanders is not riding the bench, he is riding the 6 game IR.  Lafrance was nicked up in the last game and was on the 1 game IR.  Darvin Adams has been targeted 27 times in the last 5 games. Bowman targeted 21 times.  Given that the 3 games Streveler was in the deep ball receivers were probably targeted less; we still have 4 receivers in the top 17 for passes attempted.
swagonem

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 03:28:29 PM »

Patience wearing off?lol. No more patience is deserved. I'd suggest as well that more and more time be given to developing Strev. He appears to be our future not an intercepting middling QB like Nichols.I mean if you can't lead your team to a win against the 9th rated D with 3 inter.and 0 points in an entire half and being out thrown by Rusty fragile Lulay then your time is being marked for replacement.

I really hope you're joking. You realize last season he threw 8 interceptions total right and 7 of them were tipped/deflected balls. He had a bad game it happens but by no means is Nichols bad or washed up. He is still top 3 or 4 QB in this league without a doubt in my mind. He was actually trying to sling the ball last night he needs a little work on that as he's not used to it but he'll get there. Also remember he's been out all year it was only his 2nd start give the guy a break cut him some slack.

As for that 3rd interception - of course the ball was not thrown well as he was rolling out then throwing back across his body but the ******* ball hit Demski right in the hands, you NEED to make that catch for your QB at that critical time in the game. Demski makes that catch we win the game there is no doubt in my mind. Instead it bounces right off his hands up into the air and it's picked off.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: