Blue Bombers Forum
September 15, 2019, 10:17:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly - Wasted Opportunities Edition  (Read 5428 times)
bunker

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2018, 03:14:43 PM »

Ugly:

LaPo's play calling chart.

2 weeks in a row, once the Bombers go up more than 15....the play calling changes.  What got Lapo up two touchdowns is now abandoned, with an eye towards saving Andrew Harris an injury in garbage time. 

Two weeks in a row, the run is abandoned, setting up second and long situations, as a lead is slowly frittered away.  We all know Nichols is masterful on the short game, and the play calling is set up for that.  A string of second and 8's leaves Nichols fighting uphill.

LaPo's wide use of playbook early in the game is working nicely.  God help us when this team gets 2 touchdowns up.  The playcalls destroy any momentum the offense has built up.

I was also frustrated with the change in our offence. On reflection though, I wonder if BC made adjustments to their defensive formation at half time, given our success with the run, and tried to take that away, which in theory would open up other things, including parts of the passing game? Just speculation, and it also doesn't answer the question of why we were so unsuccessful if this was so, other than maybe Nichol's struggling.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »

The Good

Andrew Harris had a monster game.
I missed the second half and I'm glad I did. Grin

The Bad

The second half. Everything about it.

The Ugly

Giving up two points in the standings to a garbage team.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:00:33 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
DM83

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »

The Good

Lapos play calling, Harris, Demski, Adams, O line, Defence
Bowman caught a pass, twice on the same play and turtles despite not having a defender near him for two seconds, or 10 square yards. Lol!

The Bad
 Lapos refusal to use what works in the first half, no apparent realization BC would adjust, and find , counter type plays to meet those changes.
Nichols"- come on, when your. Back foot hits the ground, throw the ball.
Receivers - Adams Demski, drops, bowman - the invisible man

The Ugly
O'Shea doesn't quite have the hang of this field goal concept.
Mike write this down:
    - 61 yds in dome is a no
   - 3rd and one go for it up the middle
   - but 3rd and two - no to lateral run plays, power off tackle please,  and
   - when in doubt,...on the road,..to make it a two score game, kick the **** FOOTBALL.

OS'hea really isn't cut out for this head coach thing.  He has no clue about offence.  Lapo is a great asst coach, but this is his Achilles heal.  Second. Guessing himself, and not being vicious enough. Bombers had no business  losing this game.  At worst, misdirection, power running and short quick passing is the name of the game for this team. 

The Bombers have a unique weapon.  A power running attack.  Nothing else needs done.  Run the ball off tackle of up the middle. We physically can dominate.

Poor OShea.....he really is lousy isn't he?
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2018, 10:07:02 PM »

I think he needs to do a better job of keeping things simple; he seems to overthink things at pretty inopportune times. Not dissimilar from LaPolice, to be honest.

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
dd

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2018, 10:16:26 PM »

I can't understand why, with a 17 point lead and Harris and Demski running the ball at will, why did we go away from this?? Were we afraid we'd chew up too much time on the clock?? Wait a minute....we WANTED to chew up time on the clock!!! It seems when we have Demski and Harris on the field and interchanged them (Harris at receiver, and Demski at Rb), the ball seemed to go to whomever Solly wasn't matched up against. Works for me!!! Why couldn't we follow this simple formula?? Why Lapo, why??
swansong

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2018, 10:24:09 PM »

I can't understand why, with a 17 point lead and Harris and Demski running the ball at will, why did we go away from this??

Because Harris was only averaging almost 10 yds per carry...oh...wait...
Knocker42

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »

I can't understand why, with a 17 point lead and Harris and Demski running the ball at will, why did we go away from this?? Were we afraid we'd chew up too much time on the clock?? Wait a minute....we WANTED to chew up time on the clock!!! It seems when we have Demski and Harris on the field and interchanged them (Harris at receiver, and Demski at Rb), the ball seemed to go to whomever Solly wasn't matched up against. Works for me!!! Why couldn't we follow this simple formula?? Why Lapo, why??

You nailed it!
Seems Lapo loves the trick plays.   We could have run them into the ground -- and we should have!!
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2018, 01:32:24 AM »

The Ugly
O'Shea doesn't quite have the hang of this field goal concept.
Mike write this down:
    - 61 yds in dome is a no
   - 3rd and one go for it up the middle
   - but 3rd and two - no to lateral run plays, power off tackle please,  and
   - when in doubt,...on the road,..to make it a two score game, kick the **** FOOTBALL.

OS'hea really isn't cut out for this head coach thing.  He has no clue about offence.  Lapo is a great asst coach, but this is his Achilles heal.  Second. Guessing himself, and not being vicious enough. Bombers had no business  losing this game.  At worst, misdirection, power running and short quick passing is the name of the game for this team. 

The Bombers have a unique weapon.  A power running attack.  Nothing else needs done.  Run the ball off tackle of up the middle. We physically can dominate.

I agreed with the bold parts above, the rest not so much

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
dd

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2018, 03:38:59 AM »

Because Harris was only averaging almost 10 yds per carry...oh...wait...
I know!!!! It's ridiculous!!! Just keep pounding it. We over-thought this one!! Don't be cute, don't try and double reverse gadget plays, hand the ball off and let the O line maul people!!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2018, 04:38:08 AM »

Late due to taking time to reflect on the whole game.  Won't rehash what others have said (mostly).  Focus more on the good:

GOOD
  • Demski balling great in the 1st half (except those sweeps and screens), I think he's exceeding everyone's expectations so far (and many off-season posters need to eat some crow)
  • Harris, goes without saying
  • Medlock onside kick: wow, did you see his technique?  Don't want to give things away to other teams but, wow!!!
  • Strev failing twice, badly: yes this is a "good", he needed his ego brought in check a bit to realize he's still a rookie and needs time to become a SY demon like The Feve.  Before the coach cap comes in I'd fly up Feve and offer him big coin to teach Strev how you can make 99% of SY plays
  • Just like the @HAM loss, BB will bounce back and trounce the Argos in a week, but I wish it wouldn't take a loss to get these guys  fired up.  What's it going to be, trading W/L/W/L all year?  Heaven help TOR if WPG loses @TOR... they'll be destroyed at IGF the subsequent week.

BAD
  • D-Line: not much talk about them.  They were ugly ugly ugly, even if the 1st half.  They rarely got pressure.  Whenever they got through they took a RTP.  Lulay had all night long, all night long!  DL: Jekyll one week, Hyde the next.  Blitzes were once again useless, what's up with that?

DL were exhausted by end of the game, but that doesn't excuse the first half, or the start of the 3rd Q.

UGLY
  • Many iffy penalties, all against WPG.  MOS said he had written the league already for clarification.  I hope we get some.  The penalty on Wild was the worst call in year.  Poor Wild looking so despondent on the sidelines.  Refs U Suck.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2018, 04:45:47 AM »

Y'all have covered whatever I might have said, except...

DIDN'T ANYBODY SEE RAINEY KICK A BOMBER IN THE HEAD AGAIN???

Ugly.

It was the exact same scenario as last week. A Bomber player tackled him and held onto his leg till the whistle. The whistle had not finished blowing but Rainey was already kicking him in the head as if he'd been held way too long.

The 1st week vs BC the leg-hold was an accident and Rainey should have been penalized.  No doubt about that.

However, and I don't want to rock the boat, but the Rainey kick (on Fatboi?) in the 2nd game was a setup.  I noticed it immediately.  The guys got together after the last game and had a little chuckle that they should hold Rainey's leg this week (I'm speculating), to draw a UR.  Rainey seems to be overly touchy and irascible, so exploit it!  BB was holding on too long on purpose then gets a small Rainey kick (was less forceful than last week) and does some great acting, embellishing, grabbing at his mask and pointing/crying.  I was laughing at it at the time as it was so contrived, and I certainly love their moxie.  Not surprised it didn't work though.

Who'll play "hold Rainey's leg" next time we meet?
 Grin Cheesy Grin
theaardvark

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »

Good:

Twogees.  The strip to end the half, his returning, and doing a great job alongside a rookie.  Hat tip to the Fogg.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
jeremy q public

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2018, 03:58:13 PM »

The 1st week vs BC the leg-hold was an accident and Rainey should have been penalized.  No doubt about that.

However, and I don't want to rock the boat, but the Rainey kick (on Fatboi?) in the 2nd game was a setup.  I noticed it immediately.  The guys got together after the last game and had a little chuckle that they should hold Rainey's leg this week (I'm speculating), to draw a UR.  Rainey seems to be overly touchy and irascible, so exploit it!  BB was holding on too long on purpose then gets a small Rainey kick (was less forceful than last week) and does some great acting, embellishing, grabbing at his mask and pointing/crying.  I was laughing at it at the time as it was so contrived, and I certainly love their moxie.  Not surprised it didn't work though.

Who'll play "hold Rainey's leg" next time we meet?
 Grin Cheesy Grin

I also figured it was possibly done on purpose, but the fact remains that the whistle had not even ended yet. Whether or not he's being antagonized, a purposeful kick to the head should always be an unnecessary roughness penalty, and possibly a fine. Doing it two weeks in a row should be a suspension.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: