Blue Bombers Forum
June 17, 2019, 12:54:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly - Wasted Opportunities Edition  (Read 4546 times)
the paw

« on: July 15, 2018, 04:03:50 AM »

Talk about unfullfilled promise.....

The Good

1.  Harris was on his horse tonight, outstanding running.

2.  o-line was good, but Paddy Neufeld made me forget about Travis Bond tonight, he was dozin'...

3.  the short kick-off was a work of art.

4.  The defence played well enough to win tonight, holding BC to 17 points before handing the ball to the O with two minutes left.

5.  Short yardage defence was great tonight.

The Bad

6.  Nichols with 3 picks, you can't win like that.  And all of them were poor choices. 

7.  Even thought Demski had some nice plays tonight, I think they went to him too often.

8.  The defence, and in particular the linebackers, did not contain Rainey very well tonight.

9.  Defensive line was undisciplined, with three roughing the passer calls, and two of them were lazy headshots. 

The Ugly

10.  Lapo and Streveler were too clever by half on the QB sneak at the start of the 4th quarter.  Pro Tip: When you only need six inches, go straight ahead.  Keep It Simple Stupid.  I didn't mind the turnover on downs when we left them on the one, but the second time was just unnecessary.

grab grass 'n growl
kkc60

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 04:08:24 AM »

The Good
Henry looks like our best KR this season. As a national, that's nice. Kids smooth and has wheels.
Harris and OL

The Bad
D let us down when we needed em

Ugly
Penalties
Nichols needed to be average and we win. He played like he was hungover.
Awful offensive coaching. Lapo doesnt always need to be cute. Run Harris. It's not that hard
3rdand1.5

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 04:09:26 AM »

Good..Most of the game

Bad..Nichols evening

Ugly.... straight up, we got greedy on the 3rd down gambles.
bunker

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 04:09:49 AM »

Only point I will take issue with is the defense. They have been worse, but they are playing a rusty 34 year QB playing behind a bad O-line with a gimpy left tackle, and without their number one running back. If Lulay was a bit more accurate in the first half they had two receivers open for touchdowns. And they let BC drive the field over and over again in the third to give up 20 points. They are still a big part of the problem.
Pigskin

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 04:14:07 AM »

Good: Harris , Demski, OL, AB.

Bad: Penalties. Some of Lapo's play calling. DL not enough pressure tonight.

Ugly: Mr. Nichols. Is he really healthy. O in the second half.
swansong

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:18:51 AM »

Good: Randle had a good game

Bad: Medlock 2 FGs off the uprights. Fortunately one ricochets in

Ugly: The RTP call on Wild
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 04:34:02 AM »

Good....Harris was a beast
Bad....Nichols played his worst game as a Bomber with 3 picks
Ugly...MOS game management decisions

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
bowlerdude

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 04:36:30 AM »

The Good
- Harris was phenomenal
- Demski had himself a nice game (although the last pass by Nichols, although definitely a poor throw and decision, WAS catchable)
- O-line... another really great performance from them
- Bighill, Santos-Knox, Randle
- The defense held the other team to 20 points... they did their job.
- Henry looked good on KR, which I didn't really expect from him. Nice surprise.

The Bad
- 3 RTP calls (although the one on Wild was bogus)
- Offense goes away from the run for most of the second half, and gets no results. When they did sustain a drive, they turned it over. Fine with the first turnover on downs call especially since it pinned them at the 1 anyway... not so fine with the second one where a FG gives you a two score lead.
- Although I liked Demski's game a lot, they threw the swing to him a little too often and it got predictable. Also, the pump-and-go they were trying to set up with that play... they completely butchered it when they called it, as Bowman didn't get open and then Nichols threw the ball a mile over Dressler's head after going to the next read

The Ugly
- All those points left on the board
- Nichols' worst game as our starting QB. This belongs here, it was more than just bad. Even a lot of the throws he hit on looked off. A couple beautifully-placed passes to Adams, but a lot more ugly ones than nice ones
lenny

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 04:41:03 AM »

The good :Harris.

The bad: Nichols with his 3 picks and 0 points in the 2nd half against the 9th ranked D which makes it a double bad.
Foxhound

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 04:46:24 AM »

Who was the idiot calling the offensive plays for the Blue Bombers today? Here Andrew Harris rushed for an average of 10.7 yards per carry today, and he's not given the ball on second and goal from the Lions' 3, third and one from the Lions' 7 and first and ten from midfield when even a rouge wins the game? Was it Paul LaPolice?

Angry

Radically Canadian!

blueraid

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 04:47:08 AM »

When you have a 17 point lead and you can't add another point...or what's worse ...quit...pathetic
dd

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 04:51:20 AM »

Who was the idiot calling the offensive plays for the Blue Bombers today? Here Andrew Harris rushed for an average of 10.7 yards per carry today, and he's not given the ball on second and goal from the Lions' 3, third and one from the Lions' 7 and first and ten from midfield when even a rouge wins the game? Was it Paul LaPolice?

Angry
We don't know. MOS will re evaluate it and let us know!!
blue girl

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 04:52:02 AM »

The Good
Andrew Harris- The guy shows up every game.
Nic Demski- Glad to see the Bombers using him as both a RB and Rec.

The Bad
The defense once again being able to stop a team on first down and then letting them convert on second and long.
Going away from using Harris. That last Bomber drive he should have got the ball on first down.
The points left on the field by going for it on third and short instead of kicking a FG. The first one I get because you're down on the goal line and your defense is playing well but the second one was just stupid. Take the points and make it a two score game.
Medlock missing a FG.

The Ugly
Three RTP penalties. Although the one on Wild never should have been called.
Nichols worst game as a Bomber.
blue girl

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 04:54:32 AM »

Angry
Pretty sure that LaPo calls all the plays.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 05:01:33 AM »

Pretty sure that LaPo calls all the plays.
the decision to gamble on 3rd down is MOS's call....the play call is on Lapo.   Comedy of errors!!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
In Motion

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 05:12:05 AM »

the decision to gamble on 3rd down is MOS's call....the play call is on Lapo.   Comedy of errors!!

I think Walters should send both O'Shea and Lapo to see a psychologist. Get them to figure out
why they are choosing self-destructive behaviours at crucial points in the game. I'm not even
kidding because when people do things that make no sense, you have to look for underlying
psychological causes/issues. 
blue girl

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 05:18:38 AM »

You're right. I was referring to the play calling overall and who decides to go away from the run game. Also what play they are going to run on third and short.
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 01:06:35 PM »

The Bad

1. Lapo play calling
2. Nichols
3.Paying $90 to watch it live

No more excuses.
In Motion

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »

The Bad

1. Lapo play calling
2. Nichols
3.Paying $90 to watch it live

You have my sympathies Blue In BC. I decided last year that the Bombers
will not get my money or my fanny in a seat until the players and coaches stop making dumb decisions
that drive me crazy. Too much futility over 28 years. They were close to getting me back,
and then another blown huge lead in BC happened.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:13:57 PM by In Motion » Logged
TBURGESS

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 01:37:51 PM »

The good:
  • Harris - Why the H E Double Hockey Sticks did we stop going to him in the 2nd half?
  • Bighill - All over the field. Beating block and RB's one on one.
  • Demski - Showed why we don't need to keep paying Flanders.
  • The O line - Nichols only got hit a few times and Harris didn't get hit until he got to the secondary on most runs.
  • The onside Kickoff was perfectly executed. Caught the Lions sleeping and might as well be called another turnover for us.
The bad:
  • Play calling in the second half.
  • Nichols - 3 INT's when he was well protected.
  • Trying the same end around on 3rd down that they did last week. This is pro ball, crap like that doesn't fly. Just go straight ahead and get the 1st.
  • The penalties that kept BC's drives alive.
The ugly:
  • Nichols throwing the ball on the run across his body to the middle of the field for an INT that gave BC the ball for their last scoring drive.
  • Halls defense - We were lucky that Lulay wasn't on in the first half and missed some wide open receivers with deep balls, or this one could have been ugly.
  • Trying to sit on a 17 point first half lead. It's the CFL, leads like that can go away in way under 30 minutes.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 02:57:18 PM »

I think it was Renaud that got injured and needed assistance to get off the field. Didn't look good and I expect he'll miss game time. Another Canadian ST player.

We better be finding and signing some new Canadian depth guys to the PR. Might need to activate some at this point as we keep losing bodies to IR.

The status of injured players on IR is unknown. Spooner might be eligible to off in another week, LaFrance might be ok next week and Speller is on the PR. Those are the only 3 possible players at the moment and not the positional Canadian players we need to help for ST's.

Can't think of any Canadians we released after TC besides Branning or Conteh that might remotely be ST guys. The fact we didn't PR either suggests they weren't considered to be viable keeping around?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:04:27 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Slimy Sculpin

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 02:58:48 PM »

Can we send TBs Good, Bad and Ugly comments, in particular the Bad and Ugly, to the Bombers office? And make it mandatory reading for the coaches?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:01:49 PM by Slimy Sculpin » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 03:08:51 PM »

Bombers had two practices this week. The Lions had four. It showed even though the Lions came out flat in the 1st half.

Comments were that it was better to keep the players fresh. Now we're hearing the defense was tired in the 2nd half. Interesting that we had slightly more TOP in 1st half and only lost game TOP by 1 minute but the defense was tired? Why is that always the excuse when we lose.

It wasn't all on the defense but was anyone not surprised about a 4th Q comeback by an opponent?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:11:24 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »

I was surprised. The O could have put that game away a few times. 17 point isn't going to cut it in the CFL. The O looked like they could us a little more practice. And Nichols needs more reps.
Blue In BC

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »

I was surprised. The O could have put that game away a few times. 17 point isn't going to cut it in the CFL. The O looked like they could us a little more practice. And Nichols needs more reps.

The Bombers had a bunch of opportunities to put the game away. Nichols and the offense was horrible in the 2nd half. That said, with the game on the line the defense also had the opportunity to make a play or two to save the win. They didn't. They took RTP penalties and allowed the Lions to march downfield to tie. They allowed them to convert deep on 2nd and long to win.

One play. One play. That's all it would have taken. Instead we allow 2nd and 10+ to be converted multiple times uncontested.

9 plays in 2:44. I think there were 4 plays over 10 yards and a couple on 2nd and long. You can't give up 16 and 29 yard plays on 2nd and long trying to preserve the lead.

Against Edmonton they gave up a 4:30 minute 14 play drive for a TD and 2 point convert to tie. Then offense 2 and out then Edmonton scores game winning FG.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:38:50 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »

They should have never been in that position. Chop the head off of the snake.
Pigskin

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »

My only problem with the D was little to no pressure. And the stupid penalties. A few were a little iffy.
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 03:39:32 PM »

My only problem with the D was little to no pressure. And the stupid penalties. A few were a little iffy.

And no adjustments that were working. I was screaming why are we rushing 3 DL and leaving receivers open.

No more excuses.
blue girl

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 07:07:44 PM »

And no adjustments that were working. I was screaming why are we rushing 3 DL and leaving receivers open.
When has Hall ever been able to make in game adjustments?
dd

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 07:15:31 PM »

Yes they were, but Corey Johnson's was just plain undisciplined and stupid. You don't win many football games doing stuff like that. Totally selfish play that moved the chains for the Lions
GCn18

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2018, 07:16:22 PM »

The defence played well. Other than some costly penalties this loss is directly on the O. Nichols was brutal and Adams and Demski had alligator arms.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue girl

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2018, 07:41:27 PM »

Yes they were, but Corey Johnson's was just plain undisciplined and stupid. You don't win many football games doing stuff like that. Totally selfish play that moved the chains for the Lions
The only iffy one was the one on Wild. The other two involved hitting the QB on the helmet.
swansong

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »

The defence played well. Other than some costly penalties this loss is directly on the O. Nichols was brutal and Adams and Demski had alligator arms.

No doubt the O and play calling was the determining factors but to say the D played well is a bit much. Multiple full field marches...multiple wide open receivers...undisciplined penalties that extended drives...inability to get real pressure on Lulay...these are not on the O.
theaardvark

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »

The only iffy one was the one on Wild. The other two involved hitting the QB on the helmet.

Looking at them again, I don't see a blow being struck... they were incidental contact. 

CFL Football Operations@CFLFootballOps
Jul 6

For a foul to be called when the passer is contacted in the neck or head, the defender must ?deliver a blow?. Slight and incidental contact shall not be a foul. #CFL

That was last week.... now:

CFL Football Operations @CFLFootballOps

Play #109, #113 #BlueBombers DL (#94 Jeffcoat, #67 Johnson) flagged for Roughing the Passer. Any blow delivered to the passer?s head or neck, whether the defender?s path to the passer was unrestricted or if they are coming off a block, is a foul. #CFL

Whatever....

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
swansong

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 08:52:16 PM »

Looking at them again, I don't see a blow being struck... they were incidental contact. 

CFL Football Operations@CFLFootballOps
Jul 6

For a foul to be called when the passer is contacted in the neck or head, the defender must ?deliver a blow?. Slight and incidental contact shall not be a foul. #CFL

That was last week.... now:

CFL Football Operations @CFLFootballOps

Play #109, #113 #BlueBombers DL (#94 Jeffcoat, #67 Johnson) flagged for Roughing the Passer. Any blow delivered to the passer?s head or neck, whether the defender?s path to the passer was unrestricted or if they are coming off a block, is a foul. #CFL

Whatever....

For what it's worth I thought all 3 were weak calls. Jeffcoat didn't even hit him in the head. His arm landed on the chest below the chin
GCn18

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2018, 10:22:10 PM »

Wild's RTP call was the worst call Ive seen in a long time.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
jeremy q public

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 05:05:14 AM »

Y'all have covered whatever I might have said, except...

DIDN'T ANYBODY SEE RAINEY KICK A BOMBER IN THE HEAD AGAIN???

Ugly.

It was the exact same scenario as last week. A Bomber player tackled him and held onto his leg till the whistle. The whistle had not finished blowing but Rainey was already kicking him in the head as if he'd been held way too long.

It's so bizarre to me. We have these ridiculous RTP calls where a hand is laid on somebody's upper back and there is absolutely zero risk of injury, but we can't even get a penalty called for deliberately kicking another player in the head, after the play is done. TWO WEEKS IN A ROW.
gbill2004

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »

Angry
Yes it was Lapo calling those plays.  We are fortunate to have Lapo as OC.  Everyone has a bad day at the office.  He will learn from this. 
Horseman

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »

Ugly.

It was the exact same scenario as last week. A Bomber player tackled him and held onto his leg till the whistle. The whistle had not finished blowing but Rainey was already kicking him in the head as if he'd been held way too long.

It's so bizarre to me. We have these ridiculous RTP calls where a hand is laid on somebody's upper back and there is absolutely zero risk of injury, but we can't even get a penalty called for deliberately kicking another player in the head, after the play is done. TWO WEEKS IN A ROW.

Yes, I saw it, he kicked Jake Thomas in the face mask and agree that was ridiculous, two weeks in a row and no call. MOS better send that clip to the CFL for review and subsequent fine of Rainey. The officials should also be informed by the league to watch Rainey more closely during subsequent games.
DarkDays

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2018, 02:37:38 PM »

Ugly:

LaPo's play calling chart.

2 weeks in a row, once the Bombers go up more than 15....the play calling changes.  What got Lapo up two touchdowns is now abandoned, with an eye towards saving Andrew Harris an injury in garbage time. 

Two weeks in a row, the run is abandoned, setting up second and long situations, as a lead is slowly frittered away.  We all know Nichols is masterful on the short game, and the play calling is set up for that.  A string of second and 8's leaves Nichols fighting uphill.

LaPo's wide use of playbook early in the game is working nicely.  God help us when this team gets 2 touchdowns up.  The playcalls destroy any momentum the offense has built up.

"I think we're done here." 
                                   - Ross Tucker
BBFANDM

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2018, 02:42:50 PM »

Ugly:

2 weeks in a row, once the Bombers go up more than 15....the play calling changes.  What got Lapo up two touchdowns is now abandoned, with an eye towards saving Andrew Harris an injury in garbage time. 

Two weeks in a row, the run is abandoned, setting up second and long situations, as a lead is slowly frittered away.  We all know Nichols is masterful on the short game, and the play calling is set up for that.  A string of second and 8's leaves Nichols fighting uphill.

LaPo's wide use of playbook early in the game is working nicely.  God help us when this team gets 2 touchdowns up.  The playcalls destroy any momentum the offense has built up.

One thing we don't know is MOS telling Lapo to call a more conservative game once we are up ?
gbill2004

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2018, 02:44:56 PM »

One thing we don't know is MOS telling Lapo to call a more conservative game once we are up ?
That is a Lapo tendency, not a MOS tendency.  Lapo has done that under several other HC's and when he was HC/OC. 
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2018, 02:50:34 PM »

That is a Lapo tendency, not a MOS tendency.  Lapo has done that under several other HC's and when he was HC/OC. 

Did he really do that this game though? We stopped running the ball in the third quarter and threw a ton of passes. It didn't work out, but that's not normally a sign of playing conservative.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 02:54:05 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2018, 03:02:35 PM »

It's up to the HC to discuss these situations when the game plan is being formulated. It's about how do you adapt as the game situation changes.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2018, 03:04:12 PM »

I thought Johnson made contact, Jeffcoat ??, Wild terrible call.
bunker

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2018, 03:14:43 PM »

Ugly:

I was also frustrated with the change in our offence. On reflection though, I wonder if BC made adjustments to their defensive formation at half time, given our success with the run, and tried to take that away, which in theory would open up other things, including parts of the passing game? Just speculation, and it also doesn't answer the question of why we were so unsuccessful if this was so, other than maybe Nichol's struggling.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »

The Good

Andrew Harris had a monster game.
I missed the second half and I'm glad I did. Grin

The Bad

The second half. Everything about it.

The Ugly

Giving up two points in the standings to a garbage team.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:00:33 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
DM83

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »

The Good

Lapos play calling, Harris, Demski, Adams, O line, Defence
Bowman caught a pass, twice on the same play and turtles despite not having a defender near him for two seconds, or 10 square yards. Lol!

The Bad
 Lapos refusal to use what works in the first half, no apparent realization BC would adjust, and find , counter type plays to meet those changes.
Nichols"- come on, when your. Back foot hits the ground, throw the ball.
Receivers - Adams Demski, drops, bowman - the invisible man

The Ugly
O'Shea doesn't quite have the hang of this field goal concept.
Mike write this down:
    - 61 yds in dome is a no
   - 3rd and one go for it up the middle
   - but 3rd and two - no to lateral run plays, power off tackle please,  and
   - when in doubt,...on the road,..to make it a two score game, kick the **** FOOTBALL.

OS'hea really isn't cut out for this head coach thing.  He has no clue about offence.  Lapo is a great asst coach, but this is his Achilles heal.  Second. Guessing himself, and not being vicious enough. Bombers had no business  losing this game.  At worst, misdirection, power running and short quick passing is the name of the game for this team. 

The Bombers have a unique weapon.  A power running attack.  Nothing else needs done.  Run the ball off tackle of up the middle. We physically can dominate.

Poor OShea.....he really is lousy isn't he?
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2018, 10:07:02 PM »

I think he needs to do a better job of keeping things simple; he seems to overthink things at pretty inopportune times. Not dissimilar from LaPolice, to be honest.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
dd

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2018, 10:16:26 PM »

I can't understand why, with a 17 point lead and Harris and Demski running the ball at will, why did we go away from this?? Were we afraid we'd chew up too much time on the clock?? Wait a minute....we WANTED to chew up time on the clock!!! It seems when we have Demski and Harris on the field and interchanged them (Harris at receiver, and Demski at Rb), the ball seemed to go to whomever Solly wasn't matched up against. Works for me!!! Why couldn't we follow this simple formula?? Why Lapo, why??
swansong

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2018, 10:24:09 PM »

I can't understand why, with a 17 point lead and Harris and Demski running the ball at will, why did we go away from this??

Because Harris was only averaging almost 10 yds per carry...oh...wait...
Knocker42

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »

I can't understand why, with a 17 point lead and Harris and Demski running the ball at will, why did we go away from this?? Were we afraid we'd chew up too much time on the clock?? Wait a minute....we WANTED to chew up time on the clock!!! It seems when we have Demski and Harris on the field and interchanged them (Harris at receiver, and Demski at Rb), the ball seemed to go to whomever Solly wasn't matched up against. Works for me!!! Why couldn't we follow this simple formula?? Why Lapo, why??

You nailed it!
Seems Lapo loves the trick plays.   We could have run them into the ground -- and we should have!!
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2018, 01:32:24 AM »

The Ugly
O'Shea doesn't quite have the hang of this field goal concept.
Mike write this down:
    - 61 yds in dome is a no
   - 3rd and one go for it up the middle
   - but 3rd and two - no to lateral run plays, power off tackle please,  and
   - when in doubt,...on the road,..to make it a two score game, kick the **** FOOTBALL.

OS'hea really isn't cut out for this head coach thing.  He has no clue about offence.  Lapo is a great asst coach, but this is his Achilles heal.  Second. Guessing himself, and not being vicious enough. Bombers had no business  losing this game.  At worst, misdirection, power running and short quick passing is the name of the game for this team. 

The Bombers have a unique weapon.  A power running attack.  Nothing else needs done.  Run the ball off tackle of up the middle. We physically can dominate.

I agreed with the bold parts above, the rest not so much

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
dd

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2018, 03:38:59 AM »

Because Harris was only averaging almost 10 yds per carry...oh...wait...
I know!!!! It's ridiculous!!! Just keep pounding it. We over-thought this one!! Don't be cute, don't try and double reverse gadget plays, hand the ball off and let the O line maul people!!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2018, 04:38:08 AM »

Late due to taking time to reflect on the whole game.  Won't rehash what others have said (mostly).  Focus more on the good:

GOOD
  • Demski balling great in the 1st half (except those sweeps and screens), I think he's exceeding everyone's expectations so far (and many off-season posters need to eat some crow)
  • Harris, goes without saying
  • Medlock onside kick: wow, did you see his technique?  Don't want to give things away to other teams but, wow!!!
  • Strev failing twice, badly: yes this is a "good", he needed his ego brought in check a bit to realize he's still a rookie and needs time to become a SY demon like The Feve.  Before the coach cap comes in I'd fly up Feve and offer him big coin to teach Strev how you can make 99% of SY plays
  • Just like the @HAM loss, BB will bounce back and trounce the Argos in a week, but I wish it wouldn't take a loss to get these guys  fired up.  What's it going to be, trading W/L/W/L all year?  Heaven help TOR if WPG loses @TOR... they'll be destroyed at IGF the subsequent week.

BAD
  • D-Line: not much talk about them.  They were ugly ugly ugly, even if the 1st half.  They rarely got pressure.  Whenever they got through they took a RTP.  Lulay had all night long, all night long!  DL: Jekyll one week, Hyde the next.  Blitzes were once again useless, what's up with that?

DL were exhausted by end of the game, but that doesn't excuse the first half, or the start of the 3rd Q.

UGLY
  • Many iffy penalties, all against WPG.  MOS said he had written the league already for clarification.  I hope we get some.  The penalty on Wild was the worst call in year.  Poor Wild looking so despondent on the sidelines.  Refs U Suck.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2018, 04:45:47 AM »

Ugly.

The 1st week vs BC the leg-hold was an accident and Rainey should have been penalized.  No doubt about that.

However, and I don't want to rock the boat, but the Rainey kick (on Fatboi?) in the 2nd game was a setup.  I noticed it immediately.  The guys got together after the last game and had a little chuckle that they should hold Rainey's leg this week (I'm speculating), to draw a UR.  Rainey seems to be overly touchy and irascible, so exploit it!  BB was holding on too long on purpose then gets a small Rainey kick (was less forceful than last week) and does some great acting, embellishing, grabbing at his mask and pointing/crying.  I was laughing at it at the time as it was so contrived, and I certainly love their moxie.  Not surprised it didn't work though.

Who'll play "hold Rainey's leg" next time we meet?
 Grin Cheesy Grin
theaardvark

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »

Good:

Twogees.  The strip to end the half, his returning, and doing a great job alongside a rookie.  Hat tip to the Fogg.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
jeremy q public

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2018, 03:58:13 PM »

The 1st week vs BC the leg-hold was an accident and Rainey should have been penalized.  No doubt about that.

However, and I don't want to rock the boat, but the Rainey kick (on Fatboi?) in the 2nd game was a setup.  I noticed it immediately.  The guys got together after the last game and had a little chuckle that they should hold Rainey's leg this week (I'm speculating), to draw a UR.  Rainey seems to be overly touchy and irascible, so exploit it!  BB was holding on too long on purpose then gets a small Rainey kick (was less forceful than last week) and does some great acting, embellishing, grabbing at his mask and pointing/crying.  I was laughing at it at the time as it was so contrived, and I certainly love their moxie.  Not surprised it didn't work though.

Who'll play "hold Rainey's leg" next time we meet?
 Grin Cheesy Grin

I also figured it was possibly done on purpose, but the fact remains that the whistle had not even ended yet. Whether or not he's being antagonized, a purposeful kick to the head should always be an unnecessary roughness penalty, and possibly a fine. Doing it two weeks in a row should be a suspension.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: