Blue Bombers Forum
September 15, 2019, 10:19:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at BC July 14, 2018  (Read 17324 times)
blue girl

« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2018, 05:00:35 AM »

In a game when you haven't scored any points in the second half you take the points.
DM83

« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2018, 05:07:40 AM »

The players deserve better coaching.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2018, 05:25:21 AM »

His excuse was "We've been converting those third and ones all season."

That's part of the problem with O'Shea, he does not think ahead enough to figure out that sooner or later the other teams will catch on to something, it has to cost him a victory first.
In Motion

« Reply #288 on: July 15, 2018, 05:29:56 AM »

That's part of the problem with O'Shea, he does not think ahead enough to figure out that sooner or later the other teams will catch on to something, it has to cost him a victory first.

I actually didn't even like that onside kick gamble after being up 14-0. Sure it worked this time, but that is a very
low percentage play. Why play risky ball when you are ahead? 

TecnoGenius

« Reply #289 on: July 15, 2018, 05:56:51 AM »

Ugh.  Difficult to watch that 2nd half.  We had our chance to take back the momentum with a TD and they blow it from within the 10.

It's not on the D.  D was killed by TOP in 2nd half.  They were all dead tired by the middle of the 4th.  O pulled a turtle and just hid in their shell.  O needs to rekindle the spirit with drives in the 2nd half!!  And ST let Rainey have way too many return yards.

Nichols throwing 800 picks is not the Nichols I know.  The long pass over the middle didn't work once, twice, three times.  How many times are you going to try before you say "this isn't working".

Strev can't run the exact same 3rd & short he did in the other game!  I'm sure the O aligned exactly the same, with Harris in the exact same position, and BC D knew from film study where he was going.  You have to misdirect and psych them out!  At least try running it left this time (or better yet, just fall forward).

I will say we were cheated in the 1st half by two horrible and phoney penalties, like the refs had it in for us today.  But those didn't really change the result of the game.  All the RTP calls we took (most were legit) really killed us.  Clean it up D!!  We weren't getting to Lulay all night, and every time we did it was a RTP.

As for the BB, we're still a great team.  Boobirds are out in force tonight, after just 1 week ago signing BB praises!  I'll do my best pj impression: "sky isn't falling".  Lions had to win this at home in front of their fans or there weren't going to be any fans there next time.  They put all they had into it and they beat us.  WPG is better than this and we come out slinging next week.  We just need to stop this Jekyll & Hyde act.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #290 on: July 15, 2018, 05:57:26 AM »

I actually didn't even like that onside kick gamble after being up 14-0. Sure it worked this time, but that is a very

I don't know, O'Shea seemed to be risk averse and super conservative with O play-calling in the past, relying on LaPo is dangerous as he let's him do whatever he wants.  Left to his own devices LaPo will get himself fired, he has a "I'm too clever" flaw in his genome!
gbill2004

« Reply #291 on: July 15, 2018, 09:42:30 AM »

His excuse was "We've been converting those third and ones all season."
And last season too; we've been an elite short yardage team for a while now; Lapo and O'Shea just out-though themselves last night.  Tonight was an outlier and I highly doubt will happen again.
blue girl

« Reply #292 on: July 15, 2018, 01:31:32 PM »

I didn't mind this play. As was pointed out on TSN the Bomber coaches saw something that they could take advantage of in BCs kick coverage and executed the play perfectly.
dd

« Reply #293 on: July 15, 2018, 02:56:26 PM »

When your not scoring, you gotta take points when you can. Maybe MOS has lost confidence in Medlock, who s missed too many FG for my liking/his paycheck, and that's the reason he went for it. Toronto made the same mistake and it cost them their game as well
bomb squad

« Reply #294 on: July 15, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »

In a game when you haven't scored any points in the second half you take the points.

3rd and a half, at the 7, up 7, over 8 min. on the clock? No, every CFL coach would make the same decision to go for it in that situation. 10 pts isn't going to salt anything away at that point. Too much time left in the game. 3rd and a half is a high percentage gamble. Take the shot and have another shot at a touchdown, or at the very least a field goal with some more time drained. If there was 4 mins to go, maybe a different story.

It was the play call that was mind boggling.
toolsinbox

« Reply #295 on: July 15, 2018, 11:42:49 PM »

This is just ridiculous. The coaches risking everything......  For what?  We don't know the step by step decision path of the 3rd down gambles, but we can narrow it down to Lapo and MOS.
MOS has been a head coach for 5 years and these calls were automatic for goodness sake !!!  The receivers sucked for sure but this loss lands at MOS feet period. There is no excuse for this kind for lapse of judgement in professional football. 
Another 5 years wasted on a guy who cant even make the most straight forward of decisions.
He's a looser coach. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

As a Bomber Fan and a season tix holder ....
I say
NO MORE !
TecnoGenius

« Reply #296 on: July 16, 2018, 12:16:21 AM »

I don't know, O'Shea seemed to be risk averse and super conservative with O play-calling in the past, relying on LaPo is dangerous as he let's him do whatever he wants.  Left to his own devices LaPo will get himself fired, he has a "I'm too clever" flaw in his genome!

I think Lapo is fine, the best OC in the league IMHO.  He called a bad game in the 2nd half last night though.  Maybe he has Hall's "can't adjust after halftime syndrome" (CAAHS)?  I think there's a tonic for that.

The biggest problem I see, over 2 games now, is going for the double/triple-covered deep ball to the shrimpkins like Dressler and Demski.  We bought Bowman for his deep, tall, 50/50 capability.  We should be throwing those 50/50's to Bowman and Adams only.  Deep to dress only works when he's got a few strides on the D in behind and you throw ahead of him.  Dress will never make an underthrown, heavily covered deep catch.

We bring guys in to fix a specific problem (no deep threat last year), and then we don't use them.  If Bowman is incapable, a) bench him or b) forget about the deep ball.

WPG managed quite fine in '16-'17 with very few deep throws (only thrown when there was a bust).  Just go back to that, or upgrade our tools.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #297 on: July 16, 2018, 12:35:04 AM »

Demski sweeps: many have mentioned this.  Some precisely.  Demski sweeps are failing because he always pauses halfway to try to juke the D.  Always.  In nearly every case I've seen if he just kept sprinting full speed he would get much more yardage by making the corner.  Watch Streveler for a good example.  Even Dressler does it better.

The only one who can juke and go N/S on a sweep is Harris.  Demski needs to commit to the speed.  I hope that someone in the WFC is noticing this and correcting it.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #298 on: July 16, 2018, 03:15:51 PM »

Another epic choke job in BC. Angry

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
bunker

« Reply #299 on: July 16, 2018, 03:22:27 PM »

3rd and a half, at the 7, up 7, over 8 min. on the clock? No, every CFL coach would make the same decision to go for it in that situation. 10 pts isn't going to salt anything away at that point. Too much time left in the game. 3rd and a half is a high percentage gamble. Take the shot and have another shot at a touchdown, or at the very least a field goal with some more time drained. If there was 4 mins to go, maybe a different story.

It was the play call that was mind boggling.

Exactly. How often do we get stuffed on 3rd and short with Streveler (or with the fever last year) taking it up the middle? Almost never! Stop trying to fix something that's not broken. I don't know if thats Lapo getting greedy and wanting to get the TD, not just the first down, but it was an epic fail.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21
  Print  

Jump to: