Blue Bombers Forum
May 20, 2019, 04:48:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2018/2019 Season  (Read 41733 times)
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #1080 on: April 24, 2019, 10:09:27 PM »

The player, such as Myers ...... officially becomes a UFA upon expiration of his NHL contract at midnight of June 30th beginning July 1st.
So I'm just expecting that Chevy will move any UFA out & get a return prior to the end of June 30th.

Why would any team give up any assets for a pending UFA?

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Fire101

« Reply #1081 on: April 24, 2019, 10:35:47 PM »

Why would any team give up any assets for a pending UFA?

Agreed.

I believe that the Jets defensive roster for opening night will look like this:

Trouba, Morrissey
Byfuglien, Niku
Beaulieu, Kulikov    Extras: Poolman, Stanley* (Jets may keep Stanley on the farm to save money on the cap and only call him up on an emergency basis)

Chevy will outmuscle Kurt Overhardt and get Trouba's name on a long term contract for the following reasons: the Jets early playoff exit, the Power Play slipped from 1st to 5th in Byfuglien's absence, ditto for the penalty kill (7th to 21st), and during Buff's absence (January to late March) the Jets struggled to be a .500 club.

Myers is gone because the Jets need money to resign other players (i.e. Connor, Laine). Poolman is younger and cheaper than Morrow, and Chevy drafted him.

I like Chairot but I think they'll keep a puck moving defencemen like Beaulieu over him. Also the Jets have Logan Stanley (6'6, 1st round pick from 2016, he will be 21 years old when training camp starts) ready if they need more physical play. Since Beaulieu couldn't crack the top six when Morrissey returned, Chevy should be able to resign him for less than his current salary of $2.4 million. Jets have to save money somewhere, and Chairot isn't taking a pay cut.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:59:33 PM by Fire101 » Logged
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #1082 on: April 24, 2019, 11:10:18 PM »

Presently we have a miniscule 3 picks out of the 7 Rds at this years Draft ........ we start at Rd 2, then 4th & 5th Rds. & blanked in the final 2 rounds.
That's a BIG YIKES in my mind.   Of our starting Dmen ..... Myers & Chiarot both are UFA's & Trouba an RFA ...... who can we sign or trade ??
I'll say Trouba & Myers both get traded for which we get back at least one Top 4 Dman &/or a Top 6 center, plus some other bodies & perhaps Draft slots.
Trouba should be dangled, along with Perrault (salary dump) & Eric Comrie (cuz he's a very good minor league goalie) to the Rangers, who have the 2nd overall pick ..... landing that slot (pick Kakko) & also get Dman Brady Skjei, top 4 Lefty makes $5,250,000. for the next 5 seasons & also ask for bottom 6 forward Jesper Fast, who can kill penalties.  
If we can trade Matty Ice Perrault there may be a chance that Tanev is affordable.

That leaves Myers (who I hope we can keep) & Chevy ..... get rid of Kulikov

Rangers aint trading the 2nd pick.   Pretty sure they have never got a top 3 pick. Ever

going on a limb here but i think some of these guys will make deals friendly to the team. They are young and are close to something big here. They can get huge deals later in life. After winning something.

Im going to think some of these players are looking at other teams with guys that have huge contracts at young age get nothing. Your contract may be huge but you really get nothing but the money. McDavid and others.

When the Hawks were winning Chevy was there as an assit GM and had a hand in building that. Keeping guys cap friendly to the team so they can hold Cups.

Guys like Schief, Wheels, Ehlers, Buff all have pretty sound contracts safe to the team. I beleive this will follow in the room.

Money will always be there....  But a solid chance to hold the Cup is not.

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
Pigskin

« Reply #1083 on: April 25, 2019, 07:13:09 PM »

I don't think Chairot is going anywhere. I think Kolikov will be moved before they let Chairot walk. Stanley or Poolman will be with the Jet's next year. That training camp battle will be interesting. 
blue_or_die

« Reply #1084 on: April 26, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »

I don't think Chairot is going anywhere. I think Kolikov will be moved before they let Chairot walk. Stanley or Poolman will be with the Jet's next year. That training camp battle will be interesting. 

That would be the ideal scenario, yes, but Kulikov has an untradeable contract unless he is used as a piece where the trading partner takes more from us from another piece to "take him off our hands".

I'm a big Chiarot fan and would be sad to see him go.

Would love to see Stanley make the big club. I've heard he's progressing quite nicely but I'm not sure if he's NHL-ready yet.
Jockitch

« Reply #1085 on: April 26, 2019, 09:11:25 PM »

Agree that Kulikov would most likely be a throw in in order to alleviate salary cap struggles ......... really hope Chiarot (love his booming shot) is kept.
If Myers & Trouba leave .........then Morrissey (has a quiet shot) & Buff are our offensive keys
......... not a big fan of Niku as a top NHL performer & so not expecting a lot ....... so I do hope another Top 4 Dman shows up some how.

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP BOUND

HUSTLE & MUSCLE IN "18"
blue_or_die

« Reply #1086 on: May 01, 2019, 06:22:19 PM »

I heard an interesting discussion on 1290 this morning that suggested a pathway with the Laine and Connor situations.

The popular opinion is that Laine underwhelmed and so should be signed to a bridge to avoid a huge cap hit and allow him more time to earn his worth, while Connor has already exceeded expectations and so we should lock him to a long term deal, especially before he starts to score 40 regularly.

The suggestion I heard was the exact opposite. Get Laine's autograph on a long deal that's actually cap friendly compared to what it would be if he scores 50 a year, and bridge Connor, who perhaps will always be a 30-35 goal guy and therefore has a known worth that might not jump much after a bridge.

Either way it's obviously a gamble.

Thoughts on this sort of backward suggestion?
Jesse

« Reply #1087 on: May 01, 2019, 07:17:50 PM »

I heard an interesting discussion on 1290 this morning that suggested a pathway with the Laine and Connor situations.

The popular opinion is that Laine underwhelmed and so should be signed to a bridge to avoid a huge cap hit and allow him more time to earn his worth, while Connor has already exceeded expectations and so we should lock him to a long term deal, especially before he starts to score 40 regularly.

The suggestion I heard was the exact opposite. Get Laine's autograph on a long deal that's actually cap friendly compared to what it would be if he scores 50 a year, and bridge Connor, who perhaps will always be a 30-35 goal guy and therefore has a known worth that might not jump much after a bridge.

Either way it's obviously a gamble.

Thoughts on this sort of backward suggestion?

I think the team would love any opportunity to sign up to a team-friendly deal. I think his camp wouldn't touch it, however.

My wife is amazing!
Fire101

« Reply #1088 on: May 01, 2019, 10:53:09 PM »

Signing a bridge favours Laine's camp, because chances are he is going to get better, so lock him in now and that would give the Jets cap certainty moving forward. Connor is playing well, same thinking lock him in because chances are he is only going to get better.

The Jets did the same thing with Scheifele and Ehlers. Jets highest paid (according to capfriendly) forward is Wheeler at $8.25 million, and the highest paid defencemen is Byufuglien at $7.6 million.
Jets win if they sign both to long-term deals.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:58:24 PM by Fire101 » Logged
buckzumhoff

« Reply #1089 on: May 05, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »

They need to find defenseman who don't get caught up the ice .good teams don't give up as many breakaway chances like the Jets give away. They traded away draft choices . The big salary players didn't come through. Need to build the team up from the middle. Signing these players same outcome . They draft ok then trade players they drafted. Coaching needs to be adjusted. Always playing the high salary players. When the starters were out the team was winning because they played as a team
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73]
  Print  

Jump to: